Shifting high level players to lower levels

wowskyrim

OK this is a very irritating update. I don't see any good reason you should take away high level player's advantages just because we visit a low level planet or mission. Working hours on hours to get a high level character should not be taken from us. I'm annoyed when i visit korriban and become a level 12, I'm annoyed when i go to a flashpoint that was hard as a low level but mannagable as a high level reduces my level to a lower level. This is a stupid addition to an MMO and I really hope you guys get rid of this. It's not cool at all and i understand some players like it for leveling but it's pointless for level capped players. You should not limit and take away powers from higher level players. I hate losing my level advantages period. I've loved playing this game since the level cap was just 50 but this update on level shifting killed my vibe and i'm sure other players could agree. Please consider removing the level shifting. It was really a stupid idea. Especially for pvp servers. Thank you.:rak_02:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where you are coming from, but I think that the Level Sync system is actually quite good. It actually lets us go back to lower level planets and level up from the content as if it is level relevant for the character you are playing on. It also eliminates the disadvantages from playing with your friends who are at max level when you are still leveling up. Honestly all of the content was perfectly manageable at level relevant levels provided you where not attempting to solo group content, and I was perfectly capable of soloing Corellian and Belsavis Heroic 2+ in post 4.0 conditions on my Sorcerer healer with a tank spec companion, considering the fact that I was tanking more than the companion was anyway I'll be using DPS spec on my companions from now on so that things die faster. If you are dying then you might need to learn to use the Heroic Moment more often now. I'm pretty much able to use it all the time, just don't wait until you are about to die to pop that thing. I hope that helps you out.

Lvl shifting should be an option not forced upon the player. maybe some people like to gather materials or just run around low areas with out being bothered with trash npcs that have no meaning anymore. there are plenty of other games out there that give an option to drop your lvl down to a friends lvl so you can lvl with them. when your done you can undo it and lvl be back to where you normally are. this lvl shifting crap is going to end up killing the game for me. i want to beable to hit my daily and weekly quests with speed. not have to kill everything i come across just to get somewhere as if im still low lvl. specially when i have 10 chars I run daily / weekly quests with.

Level sync should be activated when you get grouped. Not running around solo. If you want to help guildmates level, then group and get the level sync. People shouldnt be forced into having their level nerfed because they went to a lower level planet

I am absolutely opposed to this concept of level sync! Not only is it a very poor attempt at play balance, but it makes doing achievements that you had to by pass because it needed a full group to accomplish. If SW doesn't answer my comments in the help window in game I will delete my account & seek out a game that is more appropriate to the concept of an MMORPG - This game is following WoW and their stupidity of play balancing. That thought/concept made WoW a boring game. SW is now headed in the same direction.

Level sync was done so you can do quests now on any planet and get rewards and exp no mmatter what level you are, and to stop the ganking. Now what Ive noticed tonight, is that lower level players are taking advantage of this and now grouping up to gank higher level players on lower level planets. So what did we actually solve? This level sync is like being a Jedi master, then being demoted to a padawan because you went back to tython.

This update has a love/hate from the community and i get what people mean by leveling up by going back to older planets but when you're level capped and really don't care anyway it sucks when a level 15 mob can hurt your health when you're roaming around. I also think it's stupid for someone to return to a low level planet to level up. You're supposed to go to the higher level planet as you progress. If anything we should have the option to turn this off. Everyone knows that once you level cap the game can be relatively boring so if i as a high level want to screw around on a low level planet and be like a god to them then i should have that option, i earned that through leveling. I dont like this level sync, and if i were a low level i would much rather have someone ranked as a high level just demolish every mob there for me in a group so it goes faster. I see the idea of this update but i hate it. Stop nerfing higher level players for the noobs. I really hope they change this soon or ill just cancel my subscription. This update was a fail when it comes to level shifting. Please fix this.

This update has a love/hate from the community and i get what people mean by leveling up by going back to older planets but when you're level capped and really don't care anyway it sucks when a level 15 mob can hurt your health when you're roaming around. I also think it's stupid for someone to return to a low level planet to level up. You're supposed to go to the higher level planet as you progress. If anything we should have the option to turn this off. Everyone knows that once you level cap the game can be relatively boring so if i as a high level want to screw around on a low level planet and be like a god to them then i should have that option, i earned that through leveling. I dont like this level sync, and if i were a low level i would much rather have someone ranked as a high level just demolish every mob there for me in a group so it goes faster. I see the idea of this update but i hate it. Stop nerfing higher level players for the noobs. I really hope they change this soon or ill just cancel my subscription. This update was a fail when it comes to level shifting. Please fix this.

ok so we have level sync and maybe we are stuck with it for the time being. My concern is for a new low level player in my guild enjoying the story and getting fun from levelling and then finding that they are level synced for the planet they are on. They are not 65 but but are 17/18 on coruscant and for their efforts get synced back. The incentive to level and do it on your own has gone

I started out on the side of level sync sucks. But now I have gotten 3 toons through the expansion.

Leveling is actually easier now.

Companions are much stronger than before between the patch, presence and affection rating.

All the Heroics are H2 meaning they are all solo content even with level sync.

The content is actually being used in the expansion making it still "work" which is actually a positive thing post expansion. Especially since not everyone did all that content first time around.

In fact the only real negative I see is newer players not having those advantages not having all the bennies of being over level on a planet if they worked towards that goal. And that's not even a major downfall. Now you get xp even if you out level that planet but want to explore the rest of it's quest options. Before you didn't.

The slight con of "my level cap toon now has to *work* to get around the baby level planets" just doesn't cut it with me.

So despite the negative many are placing on this I have come around to seeing it as more good than bad. In fact nearly every aspect of this expansion I did not like to start with I have either changed my mind or am less inclined to complain about after experiencing it for a week.

The level syncing option is good for letting people play together when separated by big level differences, but I hate the forced level syncing. Really not thrilled that they can't put in an option to level sync if you want, but being forced into it is not cool.

I couldn't agree more in regards to this entire Thread's posting. This is the MOST ridiculous change I have ever seen in SWTOR. :mad: The creation of this Level Syncing plays numerous roles in the game and I'm digging and racking my brain to figure out which of these the Developers prioritized first and why.

From my perspective it was done to allow and help low level players (especially new players.) to level up more quickly, and perhaps, just perhaps keep them from feeling like noobs when they see a lvl 60-(65) maul through a mob that took them several fights, medpacks, stims, etc. to do themselves.

My response to this would be "That is the bloody point!". For those of us who had to fight like hades to get to where we are, to look at our Legacy achievements with pride and feel good about all the hard work we've put in to our toons etc. It's like a huge slap in the face. Now I look at my Legacy Panel and I see all that work completed and think "And now a new player can jump to my lvl as quick as you blink and call themselves "Jedi Battle Master/Dark Council Elite."

Wasn't the introduction of the Legacy System (Which I love to death.) supposed to make your personal play experience feel, well... "Personalized"? Everything, from the Family Tree to the nitty gritty like killing X amount of NPC mobs on planet X, etc. has been made moot. I feel like my Legacy holds NO prestige now. The vast majority of new players I talk to in-game don't even know what the Legacy System is, or what Crafting is or how to do it. (Another thing spoiled by the update by crashing the "Stock Market" concept of the GTN by making all this once great gear you could craft for your Comps or for a friend worth nothing to other players).

I'm generally one of those players who likes to offer advice to newer players, help them out, join them in a difficult FP/Heroic if they ask for help, and so on. That part of our Community in TOR has been removed now apart from the endless, tiring, and, exhausting questions all these "I'm a brand new player at max-level! ... What is all this stuff, what do I do?" have. Why give that option to anyone who's going to jump headfirst into an ocean of questions and confusion? I'm primarily referring to players that Subscribe and create a lvl 60 player without much knowledge of how the game really works. This is a by-product of the Level Syncing as these players try to figure out what was once a progressive, and fun learning process.

They literally post on this site, OUR site as Community Members & People who Pay to Subscribe to "Show off your great achievements and rub it in your opponent's faces." (That's not verbatim but go read Leader Boards; it's darn close.) What do we have to "gloat" about now? Admittedly I did enjoy what the majority of people like to do: show off their Titles, Cartel Toys, etc. (Especially in PVP WZ's.)

The Developers (Who I hope troll these threads for our opinions because, they're "Constantly trying to make the game a more enjoyable play experience for players.") did this (In my opinion.) to draw in more players to the game for obvious reasons, but overlooked the consequences and opinions of thousands of players who are against this concept. The cold hard fact is that the majority of players do NOT like this change. I agree with the numerous comments that this should be made OPTIONAL. Here's a good suggestion: Allow Level Sync to be toggled on or off. Oh wait, it's already been suggested by hundreds of your committed players.

Completely removing this stupid change at this point would mar the concepts of numerous other changes they've made and the game would simply be non-functional. If they're actually listening to all of the complaints about this then it will be some time before they provide a solution.

I can understand wanting to give lower level players a bit of an edge so they can reach max lvl more quickly, and be able to compete with other's in PVP battles, Areas, and Entire PVP Servers (Which was already mentioned by another Player.), yadda, yadda, yadda, but they've basically created a problem for everyone. Part of leveling from 1-60 (now 65) is learning as you go. There are in-game tutorials for the basics and hundreds of thousands of players who are willing to offer help. Hence one of the concepts of joining a Guild. But, what do you do when all your toons on a server are at max level? The fun of "Exploring the Galaxy" and being a "Top Dog" player on a low-level world is ruined. The idea they planted of pumping up your Character to max level and being some sort of supreme player is now self-contradictory.

I used to enjoy that "Prestigious feeling" when a friend, or Guild mate at a lower lvl is on a Low-Level Planet and PM's me for help. I can provide knowledge on things I've previously worked on myself, but I can't help them (As easily as before.) get through, say a giant field on Balmorra to help them wipe out NPC mobs that are killing them off to help them reach wherever they're trying to go. Just one example.

The first time I went to a lower level planet and saw that disgusting indicator that I'd been leveled down... I logged off after running headfirst into a mob that nearly destroyed me. Something that I should be able to wipe out with one AOE Ability.

I'm left with a Legacy of toons that really aren't unique anymore, and the achievements in that Legacy aren't regarded as anything special anymore either. Everyone is the same player with exception to class running around doing the same things ALL at the same level. :rak_02:

Lvl shifting should be an option not forced upon the player. maybe some people like to gather materials or just run around low areas with out being bothered with trash npcs that have no meaning anymore. there are plenty of other games out there that give an option to drop your lvl down to a friends lvl so you can lvl with them. when your done you can undo it and lvl be back to where you normally are. this lvl shifting crap is going to end up killing the game for me. i want to beable to hit my daily and weekly quests with speed. not have to kill everything i come across just to get somewhere as if im still low lvl. specially when i have 10 chars I run daily / weekly quests with.

I agree 100% they do need to add a toggle in rather than forcing everyone to be lower level. When looking for datacrons or trying to get 100% on a planet like say tatooine when you are level 50+ is a pain with level sync. We shouldn't have to sit and fight every mob we run across rather than being able to easily sneak past them or destorying the few mobs we cant sneak past.

No, I think you are all missing the main point, which is that we are going to see more content coming in on the original planets. Level sync is an elegant way of being able to reuse areas without either making players too OP if levels are left the same, or dropping high level NPCs in the middle of a low level area.

We are already starting to see content on original planets coming through in the form of the Alliance alerts. I'm expecting that we'll see much more in future chapters.

just thought i'd throw in my thoughts,

speaking as a fairly new player, i've been a sub just over a month and got into this game after moving on from a previous MMO. i have to say, i was close to quitting before i learned of the level sync, it was becoming a very frustrating situation where i'd be levelling on a planet and some higher level player would just rock up and annihilate everything around me, especially when it was bosses.

one guy actually stood around and kept defeating a boss i was trying to defeat for a shared area before i could even lay a finger on him. I'd constantly get challenged by level 60 players to duel on a PVE server when i was some 30 levels lower, then getting called a scrub and other expletives for ignoring their 'challenge' (more like curbstomp)

it's giving new players more of a chance, without knowing that level synch was upcoming, i think i'd' have quit as it was becoming really frustrating.

I understand players wanting to enjoy the fruits of their hard earned labour, but there was abuse of this as well by some. Higher levelled players don't lose abilities with level synch, all it's doing is making areas less of a trivial area. I seem to remember reading in the FAQ for it that they wanted their game to always feel like you were in danger or in a battle that needed to be fought, just like the films. In real life, if you get stronger, that doesn't mean that others don't get stronger so if anything this promotes realism to some degree (i know it's a fantasy game) to allow creatures to match your level.

just my thoughts on it anyhow. TL;DR - as a n00b it's better as it stops griefing i've experienced

just thought i'd throw in my thoughts,

speaking as a fairly new player, i've been a sub just over a month and got into this game after moving on from a previous MMO. i have to say, i was close to quitting before i learned of the level sync, it was becoming a very frustrating situation where i'd be levelling on a planet and some higher level player would just rock up and annihilate everything around me, especially when it was bosses.

one guy actually stood around and kept defeating a boss i was trying to defeat for a shared area before i could even lay a finger on him. I'd constantly get challenged by level 60 players to duel on a PVE server when i was some 30 levels lower, then getting called a scrub and other expletives for ignoring their 'challenge' (more like curbstomp)

it's giving new players more of a chance, without knowing that level synch was upcoming, i think i'd' have quit as it was becoming really frustrating.

I understand players wanting to enjoy the fruits of their hard earned labour, but there was abuse of this as well by some. Higher levelled players don't lose abilities with level synch, all it's doing is making areas less of a trivial area. I seem to remember reading in the FAQ for it that they wanted their game to always feel like you were in danger or in a battle that needed to be fought, just like the films. In real life, if you get stronger, that doesn't mean that others don't get stronger so if anything this promotes realism to some degree (i know it's a fantasy game) to allow creatures to match your level.

just my thoughts on it anyhow. TL;DR - as a n00b it's better as it stops griefing i've experienced

I'm not going to say that you're wrong by any means when it comes to particular players stomping ground when you're trying to play. The unfortunate thing about MMO's is that there are just some jerks who do that. I know it's beyond irritating. Believe me it happens to me all the time, but the ironic thing is that it still happens to you when you're close to max level or at. It's a simple matter of jerk players just getting their jimmy's by ruining the fun for other players.

As a player who likes to help other's I'll say I'm sorry about ppl like that. It can help if you join a Guild. Look at the leading Guilds or watch the Gen. Chat on the fleet for friendly Guilds Spamming for more members to join. I found help in that as you can use the Social Window to PM a Guild mate and, if you find one you fit in well with sometimes other members will come right to you to help you out.

On the matter of level syncing... As I said before I see how it's beneficial for players in say your situation, absolutely. But once you reach higher level planets where your toon is level-appropriate and for whatever reason may come, you have to, or want to go back to an "older" planet; you'll understand how it's frustrating that we don't have an option to toggle the Sync on or off... You'll be the high level toon, and all your great new Abilities will have no greater power over enemies than your initial Abilities did when you were first on that world. That's a part of the irritation getting to people. (Just one example.) Unless they add a toggle-feature you won't actually experience what it was like to go back to those worlds and feel like your Character has made incredible progress, and become "powerful" as the stories impart to the player.

I'm not disagreeing with your statements. Again it's helpful for creating new toons or for new players, but whether or not the benefits outweigh the losses is a hard-pressed issue to figure for the time being. Good luck to you, though and have fun. (Check into finding a Guild to help out with XP and the other benefits that come with it.)

I'm not going to say that you're wrong by any means when it comes to particular players stomping ground when you're trying to play. The unfortunate thing about MMO's is that there are just some jerks who do that. I know it's beyond irritating. Believe me it happens to me all the time, but the ironic thing is that it still happens to you when you're close to max level or at. It's a simple matter of jerk players just getting their jimmy's by ruining the fun for other players.

As a player who likes to help other's I'll say I'm sorry about ppl like that. It can help if you join a Guild. Look at the leading Guilds or watch the Gen. Chat on the fleet for friendly Guilds Spamming for more members to join. I found help in that as you can use the Social Window to PM a Guild mate and, if you find one you fit in well with sometimes other members will come right to you to help you out.

On the matter of level syncing... As I said before I see how it's beneficial for players in say your situation, absolutely. But once you reach higher level planets where your toon is level-appropriate and for whatever reason may come, you have to, or want to go back to an "older" planet; you'll understand how it's frustrating that we don't have an option to toggle the Sync on or off... You'll be the high level toon, and all your great new Abilities will have no greater power over enemies than your initial Abilities did when you were first on that world. That's a part of the irritation getting to people. (Just one example.) Unless they add a toggle-feature you won't actually experience what it was like to go back to those worlds and feel like your Character has made incredible progress, and become "powerful" as the stories impart to the player.

I'm not disagreeing with your statements. Again it's helpful for creating new toons or for new players, but whether or not the benefits outweigh the losses is a hard-pressed issue to figure for the time being. Good luck to you, though and have fun. (Check into finding a Guild to help out with XP and the other benefits that come with it.)

Thanks for that, i hope my response didn't come off as attacking, i know people are upset about level synch but a lot of the people upset have been here years it seems and i wanted to offer a n00bs perspective. i'm currently level 54 on Illum and it's fun so i'm sure i'll be 65 soon enough and seeing what everyone else is experiencing lol.

Will take a look into the guilds, only been playing a month and feel like i've barely scratched the surface of the game

level synch is the best thing that has ever happened to this game, finally I can actually go back to a planet where I had completed my story and pick up some of the other lore content without chain pulling the entire map so I could aoe burn it to death before the animations could even light up.

I still don't understand why people feel the need to be 50 levels above content, it isn't like its hard, if you want to go through a story without any interaction go read a book.

Total BS in my opinion...I play mostly solo and most of the time I want to do the story and level up as quick as possible. If I work hard on leveling on one planet, the other planet (like balmorra or tatooine) should be as it was: easier if you are a couple levels higher. That is the benefit of leveling up for god sake. I also liked doing flashpoints solo, but so much for that now. Getting nerfed as a if it were a penalty for going to an earlier planet to finish side missions is rediculous. This was the dumbest idea that has left me deciding if I want to cancel my subscription or not...

:rak_02:

So i just got back to the game and was having fun playing then i felt like playing my level 55 jugg (got to 55 over a double xp weekened with warzones) and i wanted to finish his story then i find out this gay level shift crap and get my *** kicked in a level 38 mission all i have on my jugg is pvp gear so yeah im not happy with you pretty much just told everyone all that grinding and leveling means nothing because we're gonna make it where a level 15 can kill a level 65.... **** u guys this honestly makes me wanna delete my account and uninstall sndddddd to find out that level 15 npcs can kill me... REALLY

What a garbage feature. I mostly play this game on my own and really enjoyed running through flashpoints or side quests in my down time from previous planets. Will be cancelling my subscription since I basically cannot play my way solo anymore. It was easy enough to level up anyway so don't really see how being artificial lower for the sake of experience is a value add.