SWTOR, Reddit and Value of Hype

Meanwhle, in Reddit..

It turns out the collective melt down over yesterday's blog post is already much more popular post than the actual KotFE announcement megathread ever was.

10 million costing daddy issue CGI apparently buys you close to 300 Reddit comments. However, pissing off the MMO players of your MMO buys you 600 comments and counting. These are pretty interesting transaction rates I think.

I think this is reasonably hilarious or mildly depressing. Kinda undecided which.

I'd like to trade some of my comments to daddy issue CGI, please. I feel I've earned at least 25 seconds by now.

On a very serious note, I think there is something pretty interesting and encouraging to this. I'm happy people who actually are not playing this MMO solely and exclusively because of the talking heads are starting to wake up. Many of the MMO aspects of TOR are so fine that this boat does deserve some rocking. Otherwise all we have left is a Talking Heads album.

Edited by GalacticStarfigh

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has become a MORPG The MMO part is gone... You know what?

IM OK WITH IT!

Its about time someone did something like this. After 10 years of gear grinds in wow Im excited about this xpax. If your not? There is a door behind me marked exit.

Due to the fact that people hate change and things they dont know as the norm I expect to see lots of Crying

Edited by Zergnaut

Why is this a surprise? People love to post negative comments, not positive ones. It isn't that different from what sells on the news.

Ultimately both positive and negative translates to buzz and visibility. I'm not sure if it is surprising..But it is encouraging. It is a relief to see significant portion of people playing this MMO are not exceptionally happy about MMO part of the MMO getting abandoned. it is a boat that deserves some rocking.

Ultimately both positive and negative translates to buzz and visibility. Either good or bad. I'm not sure if it is surprising..But it is encouraging. It is a relief to see a vocal minority portion of people playing this MMO are not exceptionally happy about MMO part of the MMO getting abandoned. it is a boat that deserves some rocking.

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Totally edgy as ever.

Everybody who has anything to say about TOR is a vocal minority. Majority of people who have ever played TOR don¨t care of these forums or TOR enough to feel like they'd need to say a single word about any of it in here, Reddit or anywhere else.

the problem with starting a DOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!11!!!11!!!!11! thread is that it can become contagious and trolls love em. so you have the right troll at the right time on that linked just stoking the fire, its likely to burn for a long time.

so thats why im not bothering to notice it really.

Totally edgy as ever.

Everybody who has anything to say about TOR is a vocal minority. Majority of people who have ever played TOR don¨t care of these forums or TOR enough to feel like they'd need to say a single word about any of it in here, Reddit or anywhere else.

Exactly, so you cannot say a significant portion of players are upset about this. Time will tell by how well the expansion does as to whether or not people are content with it.

300 comments and 600 comments are a pittance, really. The official version of the FE trailer on youtube has 3.4 million views, in comparison (and 545 dislikes...pretty close to those 600 comments).

Edited by hadoken

the problem with starting a DOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!11!!!11!!!!11! thread is that it can become contagious and trolls love em. so you have the right troll at the right time on that linked just stoking the fire, its likely to burn for a long time.

so thats why im not bothering to notice it really.

I think it is futile and in some ways dangerous to walk around in net carrying all these stamps and umbrellas. This guy is a troll. That post is a clickbait . That remark is hyperbole. If the meltdown is big enough, it pays to consider all those things you've just dismissed as trolling or clickbaiting or hyperbole has been produced for a reason.

If you are displeased about something, I think it pretty important to explain them whats and whys of it. Otherwise nobody hears of them. If nobody hears them, the result can be some terrible idea like abandoning live-dev aspects of your MMO til foreseeable future.

Exactly, so you cannot say a significant portion of players are upset about this. Time will tell by how well the expansion does as to whether or not people are content with it.

300 comments and 600 comments are a pittance, really. The official version of the FE trailer on youtube has 3.4 million views, in comparison (and 545 dislikes...pretty close to those 600 comments).

Minority can absolutely be a significant one.

...and about the video? Small wonder. It looks absolutely awesome. it's just that people on SW:TOR's own subreddit makes a more relevant orbit in context of the game than people watching youtube videos.

Lol yeah

Also 600 Reddit Comments does not equal 600 players. So it's even less.

At least if someone posts here you know they are at least subbed,

Reddit?...LMAO....be surprised if 20% of those people have even ever played the game

Minority can absolutely be a significant one.

...and about the video? Small wonder. It looks absolutely awesome. it's just that people on SW:TOR's own subreddit makes a more relevant orbit in context of the game than people watching youtube videos.

No it doesn't, not at all. Nobody on reddit or on youtube has any obligation to be subscribed to the game - unlike here.

In the end it's all junk data.

Edited by hadoken

This has become a MORPG The MMO part is gone... You know what?

IM OK WITH IT!

Its about time someone did something like this. After 10 years of gear grinds in wow Im excited about this xpax. If your not? There is a door behind me marked exit.

Due to the fact that people hate change and things they dont know as the norm I expect to see lots of Crying

Paying a subsription for a singleplayer game is the real issue here me thinks.

Why shouldn't we pay money consistently for a consistently updated story/single player experience? Not any different than paid DLC for normal games.

No it doesn't, not at all. Nobody on reddit or on youtube has any obligation to be subscribed to the game - unlike here.

In the end it's all junk data.

Everybody posting in SW:TOR's reddit is a person who absolutely has the game on their radar. They are people interested of the game. Some of them are some of us. And some of them are people considering if they should subscribe.The latter 'some of them' are the best imaginable example of the people to whom BW made the CGI at first place.

Why shouldn't we pay money consistently for a consistently updated story/single player experience? Not any different than paid DLC for normal games.

Well if that were actually all we were getting out of the sub fee, it would be better to charge by the patch.

Fortunately, this really isn't a single player game as much as people like to whine that it is because it has a lot of solo friendly features. You'd have to disable all chats and the GTN at the least.

Everybody posting in SW:TOR's reddit is a person who absolutely has the game on their radar. They are people interested of the game. Some of them are some of us. And some of them are people considering if they should subscribe.The latter 'some of them' are the best imaginable example of the people to whom BW made the CGI at first place.

To be fair, if whiners are to be believed, just as many people on these forums are 'unsubbed' and are just using their remaining days to ***** and moan here.

haha right, I'm sure BioWare spent all that money for the handful of people that post at the reddit channel.

I'm sure that's why they displayed some of it at E3 too, right? Those were all redditors? You have a vastly overestimated value of what reddit is.

This is what is starting to bug me to be honest. It's turning into a single player game with very little replayability.

I'm not fussed about lack of Ops, I've never run one. I do solo 99% of the time in this game which sounds like I should be the very epitome of their target market with this "expansion".

But, the replayability which was pretty high up to level 50 has declined with every single release. I have 19 characters of level 55+, only 10 of which have made it to 60.

SoR is so lacking in replayability I just dread dragging each character through exactly the same quests over and over again with a single 5 minute class specific quest to try and break up the 12 hours of monotony involved.

I haven't even bothered going to Zoist yet.

The new content sounds like more of SoR. SIngle player, single storyline, zero replayability. Sure, there'll be a couple of conversation differences based on whether I'm a smuggler or a bounty hunter but let's be honest, nothing really changes based on those. I might get a different companion. Whoop.

Currently I'm struggling to see why I'm paying a monthly sub for what is quickly becoming a single player game that other people happen to be in the background of. The promise of a couple of hours of cut-scene DLC every so often is not encouraging me to continue subscribing.