You won't be playing SWTOR on Windows 11 using your 15-year-old computer

xordevoreaux

https://www.theverge.com/microsoft/22544171/microsoft-windows-11-system-requirements-hardware

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

Nor I on my 12-year-old computer, the CPU isn't supported:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

But that's okay. Maybe I'll get rich so I can buy a new box.

Edit: Just checked the processor support for the version that I am running, and my CPU isn't listed as supported for that, either, and I'm running things okay, so maybe there's hope.

Windows 10 21H1 Supported Intel Processors

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-10-21h1-supported-intel-processors

Edited by xordevoreaux

I wish it was as easy as buying a new PC... is not.

1) If you're rich of course you can buy whatever you want whenever you want, this is the exception.

2) if you're not you're pretty much stuck with windows10 until 2025 as simple as that.

3) Having said that, let's say you have an average income (outside the States or the UK).

There's 0 point to build a PC right now, important new tech is finally coming DDR5 and PCI5.0.

Once that it arrives we have to wait to see if its efficient and if it is avaible.

Even if the CPU and mobos are available lets see if the graphics cards are....Availability and prices are a real issue right now.

However the only good news are: to run swtor you can use the same PC you are using right now, the game doesn't demand more.

Edited by psikofunkster

There's 0 point to build a PC right now, important new tech is finally coming DDR5 and PCI5.0.

If your current PC is, as cited by Xord, fifteen years old, and you're trying to play current games on it, then yes, there very much is a point in building a new one now. A $500 PC from CostCo or WalMart or whatever will run pretty much anything better than a 15 year old worse-than-potato, and that so-called "important new tech" is of exactly no importance for SWTOR.

Side note: a couple of years ago, I hauled a pair of PCs that, if I still had them, would be fifteen years old now, to the recycling centre. Why? Well, there was no point in keeping them around anyway (both of them were antique single-core low-end AMD CPUs), and on top of that, neither of them would power up. Closer inspection revealed that every single electrolytic capacitor (the little cans) on the motherboard and graphics card (and probably all through the PSU as well) had at least a mild case of Capacitor Plague, so neither machine was worth the effort of trying to repair it. I'd guess that a lot of 2006 PCs are in similar condition.

If your current PC is, as cited by Xord, fifteen years old, and you're trying to play current games on it, then yes, there very much is a point in building a new one now. A $500 PC from CostCo or WalMart or whatever will run pretty much anything better than a 15 year old worse-than-potato, and that so-called "important new tech" is of exactly no importance for SWTOR.

Side note: a couple of years ago, I hauled a pair of PCs that, if I still had them, would be fifteen years old now, to the recycling centre. Why? Well, there was no point in keeping them around anyway (both of them were antique single-core low-end AMD CPUs), and on top of that, neither of them would power up. Closer inspection revealed that every single electrolytic capacitor (the little cans) on the motherboard and graphics card (and probably all through the PSU as well) had at least a mild case of Capacitor Plague, so neither machine was worth the effort of trying to repair it. I'd guess that a lot of 2006 PCs are in similar condition.

Steve's right on this account I'm sitting on

Intel I-7 3770K

32GB RAM

nvidia 1050 Ti GTX

That 3770K has been a good processor all these years, but one, it'll eventually fail, and two, won't be keeping up with new innovations in software much longer. With a full-sized HAF tower and 1,000 watt power supply and several other gizmos, the box cost me $2400 to build. Not looking forward to a full replacement, and any config I'd get at Wal-Mart would be a huge compromise, and I do a heck of a lot more with the box than just play SWTOR, namely 3D modding.

No new box any time soon, but we'll see.

Well once i seen that windows 11 was Announced, i made sure to get a clean boot-able USB of Ubuntu 20.04 then simply download steam. After that go to the settings click on steam play, Be Sure to not use proton experimental currently i am installing SWTOR with proton 6.01 i think it said. With Linux and proton on steam you can run pretty much all your windows games. There "Might" be a few that don't run well, but SWTOR gets better every update on Ubuntu it seems. Also with Linux you wont have to worry about upgrading your PC for an Extremely long time. Hope this helps. :) Edited by CKNORTH

Once that it arrives we have to wait to see if its efficient and if it is available.

Bah humbug! DDR5 and PCIe 5 are just incremental updates to DDR4 and PCIe 4. They're not earthshaking new developments.

By the time the "5s" arrive, you'll want to wait for "6". 🙂

Bah humbug! DDR5 and PCIe 5 are just incremental updates to DDR4 and PCIe 4. They're not earthshaking new developments.

By the time the "5s" arrive, you'll want to wait for "6". 🙂

And if your going to wait for the 6, just wait three months for the 7…

Tech updates faster than a Kardashian changing her uh sunglasses??

The direct download from Microsoft for the PCHealthCheck program, which now incorporates a compatibility checker at the top of its screen when it first launches. You don't have to do anything other than click the button at the top.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/d/d/1dd9969b-bc9a-41bc-8455-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi

The direct download from Microsoft for the PCHealthCheck program, which now incorporates a compatibility checker at the top of its screen when it first launches. You don't have to do anything other than click the button at the top.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/1/d/d/1dd9969b-bc9a-41bc-8455-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi

I've tried this on three different PCs here:

* My main PC, an i7-7820X with RTX 2080Ti, TPM 2.0, etc. ===> Compatible.

* My old main PC, an i5-760 with GTX 1080, probably no TPM at all, etc. ===> Updates are managed by my organisation.(1)(2)

* My eighteen-month old Asus ROG laptop, i7-9???H with GTX 1660 Ti ===> Updates are managed by my organisation.(1)(2)

(1) Er, "my organisation" is me. I'm well aware that I am managing these PCs. Unfortunately, like a lot of things in the settings cog thing, I cannot change these settings and I need to ask myself to change them. That might prove difficult.

(2) There's a lot of misinformation and/or misunderstanding and/or just plain ignorance surrounding these messages, and it's essentially impossible to find out what's causing them.

There's a lot of misinformation and/or misunderstanding and/or just plain ignorance surrounding these messages, and it's essentially impossible to find out what's causing them.

This program helps, better granularity:

https://i.postimg.cc/N0GJwy55/image.png

download:

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases

Scroll down to the "assets" list and pick your poison.

For those not familiar, this app is fresh off the press and not Windows signed, so when it comes up and says Windows Protected Your PC, click Run Anyway

Edited by xordevoreaux

Those lists are the "allowed to be used by manufacturers making new PCs for the listed version", not "will only run on this list of CPUs and later", so they don't actually say much about whether an existing PC is Win11 (or Win10 21H1) compatible.

As expected, the old i5-760 machine got told "no", failing on multiple fronts:

* CPU = yellow

* BIOS/UEFI = Legacy = Red

* DX12+WDDM2 = no WDDM2 = Red (Er, a GTX 1080 isn't enough?????????)

* GPT partition = no = Red

* Secure Boot = no (duh, it requires UEFI) = Red

* TPM version = no TPM = Red

And the program claimed that my main PC isn't compatible, for lack of WDDM2, even though Microsoft's tools claim it's compatible.

EDIT: and the laptop is green everywhere (i7-9750H CPU) except WDDM2.

I'm going to hypothesise that WDDM2 isn't actually a hard requirement.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

I'm going to hypothesise that WDDM2 isn't actually a hard requirement.

Turns out this is correct. WDDM2 is required if you want to use the "display over WiFi" feature (called "Windows Projection"). For ordinary connected / internal displayes, it's not required.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a lot of the "iPhone effect" happening about Windows 11.

The "iPhone effect" = new iPhone is released, people run out to buy it. Why? Because it's new; not because anyone 'needs' a new iPhone.

Similarly - new Windows is released and some people seem to think they 'must' have it. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly I watched a few videos recently from Linustech and they show how you can by pass Microsoft’s stupid restrictions and requirements to using Windows 11. They went bad as far as a 2007 PC.

They can’t guarantee all of them will work when the full release version drops, but they do have a work around for that too because Microsoft have already said some OEM and corporation’s will be able to use Win 11 on systems that don’t fit the requirements.

So because that loop hole is already built in, if you know what you are doing, you can use the same reg edit loop hole to load Win 11 onto older PCs.

There's a lot of the "iPhone effect" happening about Windows 11.

The "iPhone effect" = new iPhone is released, people run out to buy it. Why? Because it's new; not because anyone 'needs' a new iPhone.

Similarly - new Windows is released and some people seem to think they 'must' have it. 🙄

True, but some early testing has shown that some games run better under Windows 11.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Makes me glad that I recently got a new computer to play the game on.

Though, honestly, I'm dreading (and I don't mean those Masters on Oricon) Windows 11; I remember how buggy Windows 10 was for the first year or so and the trouble it caused. No desire to experience that again...