Spawn camping is Toxic AF

Peplinsk

In my opinion, swarming the enemy spawn point and killing players as they respawn is toxic AF.

I would rather help new players learn to improve.

I’m a new player myself and have noticed a super aggressive handful of players who swarm the enemy spawn points.

They literally ruin the game for everyone else because you are forced to follow them or risk being removed for inactivity.

I was just vote kicked from a match for the first time ever because I was hanging back in the middle of the map.

That is seriously ****ed up.

Once again, pvp is ruined by people who would rather humiliate other players than encourage them.

Spawn camping is sort of a thing that just happens in a lot of games. At this point, part of the game is learning to deal with it. Besides, every TDM map has three spawn points for that reason. If the enemy is stalking one point, just spawn from another.

Yes there are definitely some players that do this. I try not to if I can help it. But I make sure that if I've been hanging back long enough I will go in and do some damage quickly and leave again if it means I will go non contributing. If I see everyone is over at the spawn I attempt to spend as little time as I can there and try to pick off people in the middle as much as I can.

In my opinion, swarming the enemy spawn point and killing players as they respawn is toxic AF.

I would like to help new players learn to improve too! To that end: you're wrong. I understand that this is frustrating, but you're wrong. Hopefully I can explain why by the end of this post.

I’m a new player myself and have noticed a super aggressive handful of players who swarm the enemy spawn points.

They literally ruin the game for everyone else because you are forced to follow them or risk being removed for inactivity.

Here's the thing: no one is ever trying to spawn camp. It's just that the red ships are the primary objective. Inevitably, someone is going to try to run back to their teammates (which is correct) even though their teammates are on their spawn point. The spawn point is not a magic area where no one should shoot you. Running there will not keep someone from chasing you.

Then their teammates join in on the fight and well suddenly the battle is on a spawn point. I'll try to get the battle to move away but once it's there that's not likely to happen.

Good news though! There are three spawn points. If you find that the battle has shifted to one of the spawn points... pick another. Encourage your team to do the same.

No, really. That's all you have to do. It's very, very rare that you will find that all three spawn points are occupied by enemies. Situational awareness will go a very long way.

I was just vote kicked from a match for the first time ever because I was hanging back in the middle of the map.

That is seriously ****ed up.

Once again, pvp is ruined by people who would rather humiliate other players than encourage them.

While I understand that getting vote kicked is frustrating, it's 100% your fault. All you have to do to keep from getting kicked is do any amount of damage to any enemy (and at least as far as I know it counts if they hit you too), and that's in TDM. In Domination it's even easier: be near an objective. That's it.

The game has to end eventually. If you're outmatched, you're outmatched. Give it your best shot. If you're not contributing then your team is right to kick you from the game. I generally don't push it as hard in TDM but I don't blame anyone who does; we've had a lot of AFKers to deal with and someone who is hiding from the action looks identical to an AFKer.

Here's another angle, though: by the time you're getting spawn camped, it's a safe bet that your team is so bad that they can't possibly win the game, especially if they don't even realize they can spawn somewhere else. In a situation like that I'm looking to just get it over with as quickly as possible. This has the side effect of giving my team some room to goof off if they want; they're probably not being chased very hard.

I'm of the opinion that it's cruel to keep someone in a game they can't win. I want to get it over with as quickly as possible so I don't waste their time or mine. I'm happy to help people improve (see my signature) but the time to do it isn't when they're on the other team and they won't learn anything but bad habits if I break off when they run to spawn.

If you ever want some one on one tips, ask for it here in this forum or in the GSF Community Discord. Basically everyone in this community is happy to help you.

Edit: If it helps, think of them as warp points. You have a choice of three points where you can warp into the battle. You probably don't want to pick the one in the middle of the red ships, but once you're in the game there's no reason to avoid the red ships either.

Edit 2: I wouldn't mind 3 - 5 seconds of spawn invincibility so you can't take damage before you have your controls. No more, though.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Hi Pepslink. I understand how you feel because all of us have been through the same experience and learning curve. However, I think people have a misunderstanding of why spawn camping happens. People seem to think its a tactic you can use to gain an edge or even victory over the other team. It isn't. Spawn camping only happens because that team is vastly inferior to their opponents. Its just the nature of what happens when two teams are severely mismatched. The bigger the deficit in overall skill between the two teams, the closer to the weaker team's spawn the battle will take place.

You can't spawn camp a stronger team. It just doesn't work. I have seen people try, many times. The weaker team tries very aggressively to pressure a stronger team's spawn, but all that happens is they just keep feeding the stronger team easy kills. But no one complains about that, even though the effect is the same. But regardless, before long the battle shifts as people realize they are dying in huge swathes, and the battle literally moves across the map to the weaker team's spawn. Its not that the stronger team thinks "hey, lets turn this around by pushing them back to their own spawn." You can't just decide to do that. It doesn't work. It just happens because the weaker team inevitably retreats and so the stronger team has no choice but to follow.

I have also back-filled the losing team in a spawn camp situation and my sheer presence and effect on the match has been enough to force the other team to retreat off our spawn. Something any of the top pilots can also tell you has happened to them. But even if that doesn't happen, there are ways to deal with spawn camping.

For what its worth GSF used to have a mechanic that stopped spawn camping. If you got within a certain range of the enemy capital ship, it would one-shot you. Same way they still do in Domination. But the problem was that teams would get a 1-2 kill lead, then fall back to their capital ship and wait out the game timer. So it was changed. And this is why capital ships in TDM no longer shoot at enemies within range. So what we have now is the lesser of the two evils.

Unbalanced matches happen in any PVP game, its the nature of PVP, and it happens for a several reasons. But the one reason it happens that we can do something about, is teach people to improve. The better you are, the less often you will get spawn camped. To that end, see my signature.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Yes, it's toxic, and should be abhorred by every experienced player, and people who do it should be shunned.

It can put a lot of people off, and is a sad reflection on the community as a whole.

But a couple of experienced players have already offered to help, I suggest heeding them, taking their offer, and then doing the same for any new players you see struggling. If enough of us, try to keep new players away from these people, spawn camping might become less effective. And if we hold back, and scorn those who participate, they might grow some decency and let players learn.

Unfortunately in GSF, there is no learners pool, and you are thrown in at the deep ends with sharks, and dolphins. With the help of the dolphins, we may be able to take out the sharks :)

Yeah, Im against spawn camping, as a practice.

I was once spawn camped so bad and hard, i quite playing for nearly a month and screwed around in ground pvp during that 30 days or so off.

So, needless to say, I dislike spawn camping or being spawn camped.

But (yeah, there is always a but), if a team sets up at their spawn point, IE gunships shooting from there, setting up a nest there, etc, you cant expect the other team to not go in. Ive seen it. And it wasnt from being beat back to spawn either. Its just where they decided to set up.

Also, i think its Mesas, where you have the wall formations between the spawn cap ships and middle.

I been told, i was "spawn camping", when they set up their nest and gunships there. That definitely is not spawn camping.

Spawn camping is, if you are within weapon range of enemy spawning in points and actively shoot them as they spawn in.

I have seen it where the enemy puts in bombers on the spawn point and have gunships sitting off 14-15k and taking shots as the enemy spawns in. THAT is spawn camping.

And yes, they have 3 spawn points, just make sure you say use the north spawn, the south spawn or the middle if they are spawn camping the one.

if it happens a few times in a row, take a break because its maddening, for sure.

But (yeah, there is always a but), if a team sets up at their spawn point, IE gunships shooting from there, setting up a nest there, etc, you cant expect the other team to not go in. Ive seen it. And it wasnt from being beat back to spawn either. Its just where they decided to set up..

So lets say we have exactly that. Team A sets up at their own spawn. Usually Bombers and Gunships when this happens so lets assume that's what it is in this scenario. Team B has no choice but to "go in" as you say. Does this automatically qualify as a spawn camp situation? No, it doesn't. If Team B is the stronger of the two, then yes Team A is now being spawn camped. If Team B is the weaker team, then Team B is now feeding Team A, and Team A will not feel at all like they are being camped. In fact, if I was in Team B here, I would be screaming at my team to stop feeding. Also, at some point Team B will likely realize that they are dying in huge swathes and the Battle will move across the map.

So what's the point? The point is that where a team chooses to set up does not in and off itself cause a spawn camp situation. Spawn camps are exclusively caused by one team being significantly weaker than the other. Period.

Whether or not the stronger team should back off, is a different debate. But I just wanted to make this point clear.