Eternal Championship is painful (physically)

Minus-Sign

I know what you're thinking. Another darn rant. Another nub who can't get through the tough stuff come to complain.

If thats what you're thinking you probably won't be disappointed. I'm here to complain. And if you've beaten the Eternal Arena and gotten your Wookie back, I'm not as skilled as you are. Kudos to you; you rule, you win.

But if you're still reading this then I'd like to give a little back story. I was you once. "L337" and all that jazz. To cite one of my more notable examples was a game called Guild Wars. in that game was a class of monks who were expected to keep the team healed in PvP. One such type that I specialized in was the Infuse Healer. To simplify the game strategy, the other team would cast a "spike" on a single target. The spike was intended to be a coordinated attack that could kill one of your 8 teammates in under 2 seconds, preferably just one. It was the infuse healers job to "catch" that spike by figuring out who was being targeted when they were being cast on, and to heal that damage in less than the second the other side had to deal their damage.

When I entered PvP seriously in that game, my guild managed to stay in the top 50 world rankings for 2 years. When I left the game and guild, they dropped to 150. And within 6 months disbanded. Who knew?

So, yeah, I've been where you are now. Reading some poor schmuchs cry-me-a-river post about how he can't get things easy enough for him. Scanning the text for clues to what he's doing wrong, what nugget of advice will get this loser to get to it, knuckle down and do what I have proven can be done. But before you read to carefully for my tactical flaw, lets discuss why I left my guild.

I went undiagnosed as a diabetic until my body began eating itself. My weight went from 210 to 134 lbs in 4 months. I was hospitalized with my first bout of diabetic ketoacidosis within a year of that. And, due to some poor healthcare choices, it went poorly treated up to this point.

One of the many side effects of poorly treated or poorly managed diabetes is peripheral neuropathy. Its usually in the feet. usually starts in the feet. But it can migrate into other extremities, namely the hands. The fingers. I've gone from a college average of 220 words per minute to around 30 on a good day. Its difficult to touch type through jello or if you literally cannot feel if your fingers are touching a key, let alone which one. Its affected work. And its affected my leisure time as well.

I don't play twitchy games anymore. I keep my mouse sensitivity low, stick to easy mode, story mode, and leave legendary to the purview of those who seek such challenge and can overcome it. I stick to easy games. Story games. Guild Wars 2? Easy stuff if you avoid the jumping puzzles. Star Trek Online? I won't admit to using keybinds but there are ways out there to fly around with one hand and mash the space bar with the other and get just about anything done in space.

Star Wars: The Old Republic? Its doable. Stay out of the hard mode stuff. I don't subject teams to, well, me. But the PvE is within reach with a modest amount of dying.

And then you took my darn wookie. I enjoyed the rest of Eternal Empire. I've played through the story on 3 characters. Its fun. And as long as a stick to story its within reach.

But the arena? Its punishing. Many people applaud how it punishes bad play. How it is "teaching you" to prepare for end game content.

For me, it just serves as a reminder of what I can't do anymore.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. It sounds like a frustrating situation.

You may already know this, but just in case....

1. If you're playing a Smuggler and already have Influence 10 with Bowdaar before you start KOTFE, you don't have to do the Eternal Championship at all. Just talk to Bowdaar when you get the Alliance Alert and do his free-the-slaves mission, which is much easier than the EC.

2. Even if you're not a Smuggler, you don't actually need to finish the EC to get Bowdaar--you just have to get him to Influence 10. Every round you win will boost his Influence. I've never made it past Round 5, myself, so I have to play through Round 5 several times to get Bowdaar. (I don't remember the exact number, but I think it's 3 or 4.) You could even do it by playing Round 1 only, though you'd probably be very tired of Round 1 before you got Bowdaar to 10.

3. I haven't tried this myself, but it's possible that playing through the EC in a group will boost Bowdaar's Influence. If it does, I'm sure you can find someone on the fleet or here in the forums who would be happy to help you out.

ETA: JakRoanin says it will take 20 playthroughs of Round 1 to get Bowdaar back. Tedious, but doable.

Edited by Hudlar

I am sorry to hear you have to go through this man. Do you still earn influence with Bowdaar while doing the group version of EC? If you are on Star Forge hit me up and I wouldn't mind helping you, and in case you continue this journey alone I wish you luck!

Thank you for the replies and the well wishes. I can report I have my wookie on my smuggler and on my main now. 2 things I did not know until I came to the forums to complain.

First: the reputation link. Must have missed it on my smuggler. Did i mention the cataracts when I rambled on about the diabetes? Don't get old kids. "Stay Gold" as Johnny would say.

Second: that the reputation builds if you accept the rewards. 2 years of failure and I nver was worried about the rewards except my wookie. Plus they reset if you quit the game but don't appear to if you stay in the area.

So I feel like a right idiot. An appreciative idiot for having these exploits explained to me.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the replies and the well wishes. I can report I have my wookie on my smuggler and on my main now. 2 things I did not know until I came to the forums to complain.

First: the reputation link. Must have missed it on my smuggler. Did i mention the cataracts when I rambled on about the diabetes? Don't get old kids. "Stay Gold" as Johnny would say.

Second: that the reputation builds if you accept the rewards. 2 years of failure and I nver was worried about the rewards except my wookie. Plus they reset if you quit the game but don't appear to if you stay in the area.

So I feel like a right idiot. An appreciative idiot for having these exploits explained to me.

Thanks again.

You're welcome, I'm glad you managed to get your old wookiee friend and good luck in your future travels. And I wish you good health as well! May the Force be with you.