Update Game Graphics?

Odin-Gin

I talk as someone with a quite bad PC, that mean playing with almost everything on low. A new graphic will mean no more SWTOR for me and for all the ones with the same "problem".

While you people with super PC can freely take advantage of the super new graphics, we will be screwed for sure...not good at all.

You seem to be assuming that a graphics "update" would no longer have "low" settings. Instead, just think of it as being like the current graphics, but with even higher possible settings.

The games with newer graphics don't necessarily require a high-end computer to run the game - they require a high-end graphics card to run the graphics on "max". Running on "low" is still there.

If BW was ever to redo the graphics or the engine, I'm sure they would maintain as broad a range of compatibility as possible.

Edited by JediQuaker

No really no....tnx :(

I talk as someone with a quite bad PC, that mean playing with almost everything on low. A new graphic will mean no more SWTOR for me and for all the ones with the same "problem".

While you people with super PC can freely take advantage of the super new graphics, we will be screwed for sure...not good at all.

Agreed, as someone with a bad computer who can't upgrade right now due to lack of money I would not want to lose access to the game I deeply love.

There is someone on another thread pushing the desire to see a "classic" server (something with practically no quality of life improvements whatsoever). That classic server could be the locus for throw-back graphics that we have now so that people aren't forced to upgrade their systems, while the existing servers are re-platformed to DX12/64/multi-core.

Fantasy, true, but that would be one way to satisfy people with aging computers as well as the half-dozen people clamoring for a classic server. Unfortunately, it would mean anyone not wishing to upgrade would be on a sub-par version of the game.

Why should we be screwed over so the people with high-end gaming computers can get better graphics? I don't think having 2 different serves like that would be a good idea at all.

You seem to be assuming that a graphics "update" would no longer have "low" settings. Instead, just think of it as being like the current graphics, but with even higher possible settings.

The games with newer graphics don't necessarily require a high-end computer to run the game - they require a high-end graphics card to run the graphics on "max". Running on "low" is still there.

If BW was ever to redo the graphics or the engine, I'm sure they would maintain as broad a range of compatibility as possible.

I think the concern here is that the new low will be too much for their system to handle it, I wouldn't mind something like you've described so long as I could still run the game. The issue would be like I said, if the new low is too demanding from older system as speaking as someone who can't get an upgrade not everyone would have the opportunity to get one.

You seem to be assuming that a graphics "update" would no longer have "low" settings.

It's not an assumption, but experience. Everytime they've 'improved' graphics in the past the minimum settings have been adjusted so that they are higher than before.

I can afford a new pc, but that doesn't mean I want to waste money just to play a nine year old game. Especially considering how many players with high end newer computers have posted about having game performance issues.

I can afford a new pc, but that doesn't mean I want to waste money just to play a nine year old game. Especially considering how many players with high end newer computers have posted about having game performance issues.

Reminds me when Onslaught released and on Mek-Sha there were people with 4K high-end grids complaining about the massive lag there.

This would be mostly ture except for:

Several years ago when everybody switched from Shader Model 1/2 to Shader Model 3 many people had to upgrade their graphics cards if they wanted to continue to play their favorite MMO games. Because if Your computer did not support Shader 3 then you were screwed.

There for it is entirely possible that a graphics upgrade, thought it may still have LOW settings, will not be compatible with OLD graphics systems or CPU's.

You can not Generalize that just because there is a LOW setting that OLD systems will still be compatible with the game or that BW / EA will spend the time, effort and money necessary to make it backwards compatible.

• 6 months later...

I hope this doesn't come off as too ignorant, but would it not be reasonable to ask for the graphics overhaul in maybe like.. 3-4 years, assuming that by then, a 15 YO system would crash anyway and you'd probably have to upgrade anyways; and it can be quite cheap. This comes with considering that an upgrade to:

Even a custom build under 700:

https://techguided.com/best-gaming-pc-under-700-dollars/

OR even 500:

https://techguided.com/gaming-pc-under-500/

being the price of a console, would be able to handle games like Apex Legends at 78 frames or higher on ultra/high settings. It's relatively cheap, max 2 weeks of near minimum wage part-time paychecks. If you're still running a 15 YO system that runs on XP, it was either a pc passed down to you or it's out of money saving principles. I can't make the assumption that most people's situation is so dire that they wouldn't spend 500 on a system that makes their entire online (not just gaming but personal and professional) experience that much better (quicker and smoother). If you're able to purchase a console, make a better investment.

Considering this, if the engine and graphics overhaul happens (in 2023..): to have ultra settings be like those for SW Fallen Order and the lowest being SWTOR on medium/low settings would be amazing. This is also considering that I too used to have a 15 year old pc that went from XP to 7 and later 10 x64 and was able to run my settings at low/medium with relatively little lag (this was a 4gig ram system!!!). Even just adding 4 gigs ram would be of great benefit.

I don't really see how you can make the argument that updating a game to a better optimized, better looking and feeling engine with better graphics (with minimum settings being low enough for a 600$ system from 2005 running low/medium settings on windows 10 x64) would hurt the community. Also this is all still being said without mentioning what the size of such an operation taken BW would be (but considering Disney is going the Old Republic route.. hopefully), and with the understanding that the likeliness of this happening are slim.

Hope everyone has a good day :D

Wondering how many of the people dissatisfied with the graphics are running the game in lower than best settings. The Preferences Menu has a Graphics tab where one can choose the "Graphics Quality Preset" to be "Ultra" and then further increase the following:

- Visible character limit

- Grass render distance

Wondering how many of the people dissatisfied with the graphics are running the game in lower than best settings. The Preferences Menu has a Graphics tab where one can choose the "Graphics Quality Preset" to be "Ultra" and then further increase the following:

- Grass render distance

When on my desktop I run it on full, some pf the planets look fantastic, but when travelling, I use the laptop, which is a few years old, and not as good, so I run it on min. You can see a huge different in both settings.

- Grass render distance

Plus aren't there re-shades and the like too? I think the game already looks good for its age and I can't even play on the best graphical options:rak_01: MMOs are meant to be accessible games, generally speaking, of course there are MMOs where the focus is to look good but SWTOR is not one of those. I personally won't opposte if they make the ultra options look better or even add an "ultra high" preset and the like.

But I would hope they don't overhaul the entire game, since my computer is old and I can't upgrade I wouldn't want to stop playing the game because of a graphical overhaul like that, plus I have friends with low-end PCs as well, or laptops, wouldn't want them to get locked out either. They did said they're looking into "rendering" improvements, so maybe people will get better graphics but I hope that its properly optimized so it doesn't lock people out of the game, or that its something only for the higher graphical presets, though honestly the game needs better optimization far more than a graphical upgrade IMO.

Edited by FlameYOL

I hope this doesn't come off as too ignorant, but would it not be reasonable to ask for the graphics overhaul in maybe like.. 3-4 years, assuming that by then, a 15 YO system would crash anyway and you'd probably have to upgrade anyways; and it can be quite cheap. This comes with considering that an upgrade to.

Umm...

In 3-4 years that "15 year old" system would be 18 to 19 years old, plus there would be a new batch of 15 year old computers. 🤔

On the other hand, considering the way CPUs are going these days, the individual 'cores' in a CPU won't be much faster. There'll just be more of them.

In the past 5 or 6 years the throughput of individual 'cores' has only gone up about 15%, while the number of cores keeps climbing.

However, unless SWTOR upgrades it's 'engine', it will still only need, at most, 2 cores, so even a 10 year old CPU 'can' still run SWTOR, if it did 10 years ago.

A graphics update might require a new graphics card to support some features, but that new card doesn't need to be an RTX 3080 - a GT 1030 would also work, albeit while looking crappy. Heck, even the built in graphics of an AMD 3xxx or 4xxx series APU can 'handle' SWTOR.

Edited by JediQuaker

No one needs to worry about far-reaching graphical updates in SWTOR.

Not happening, because unfortunately, the people whining how old their machines are and tossing out horror stories how they (or their friends with low-end PCs) would be locked out from the game have effectively quashed any such effort, i.e., there have been ZERO announcements apprising us as to any progress of updating the starter worlds since the original announcement a few months ago.

The whiners have obviously killed that idea, and because of them, this game will never progress graphically.

We're stuck with what we have thanks to them.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Didn't BW allude to rendering updates for the 10-yr anniversary during the cantina livestream? And Eric poo-pooed it, saying there's a whole year to talk about it? (A planned exchange, no doubt)

Yes, they have. Though what exactly we still don't know, most likely graphical upgrades and hopefully some performance as well. Though I heard someone suggest bug fixing too, like how the game renders capes or something, would be nice not getting mine stuck halfway through my body during cutscenes.

No one needs to worry about far-reaching graphical updates in SWTOR.

Not happening, because unfortunately, the people whining how old their machines are and tossing out horror stories how they (or their friends with low-end PCs) would be locked out from the game have effectively quashed any such effort, i.e., there have been ZERO announcements apprising us as to any progress of updating the starter worlds since the original announcement a few months ago.

The whiners have obviously killed that idea, and because of them, this game will never progress graphically.

We're stuck with what we have thanks to them.

You're welcome:rak_03:, I for one am glad they're not listening to entitled gamers and allowing people to keep playing the game without needing to do a full upgrade:rak_03:

Edited by FlameYOL

• 1 month later...
Tbh, there's no reason for bioware/ea to update the game graphics even if it would be nice, because they'd have to retexture EVERYTHING which would be a pain to do especially atm during the coronavirus, so I don't think it'll ever happen unfortunately because of how long it would take.

I mean, World of warcraft did it, at least with new areas and character models, so it's less that it would be time consuming and more that it would be expensive.

They should do what Phantasy star 2 doing with their next project Genesis. Overhaul and graphic updates. Would love to see it for swtor. Always dreamed of playing SWTOR with battlefront 2 graphic and Fallen order battle mechanic O.O

No offense but if you have a 15 yr old PC that's your problem...

New games aren't constantly released for PS2's and PS3s because people can't afford a PS4. I don't know why you would expect any different from the PC market.

The world will move on, move with it or get left behind :p.

Also, a graphics upgrade wouldn't hurt you either. Look at WoW they do graphics updates all the time, doesn't hurt the bottom end.

As a new player I think the game looks surprisingly good for a 2011 MMO but the jaggy shadows that cast on characters plus the terrain and tree pop in is what I'd like to see improved upon most. Beyond that giving a resolution bump to clothing and armor would be nice too. Some stuff is surprisingly low resolution even stuff on the Cartel Market like the Jedi Survivalist has these awful low resolution buckles on the shoulders that I can't unsee during cutscenes.

No offense but if you have a 15 yr old PC that's your problem...

New games aren't constantly released for PS2's and PS3s because people can't afford a PS4. I don't know why you would expect any different from the PC market.

The world will move on, move with it or get left behind :p.

Also, a graphics upgrade wouldn't hurt you either. Look at WoW they do graphics updates all the time, doesn't hurt the bottom end.

But Xbox has backwards compatibility for games all the way back to their original Xbox and a fair number of games get upgrades for the newer consoles.

That has more to do with people wanting to play older games than graphics, so I get your point. Just saying that you don't have that strong a point when it comes to consoles cause even Sony's doing backward compatibility now on the PS5 for PS4 games.

I do wonder how many customers are on old PCs though. Cause if there's enough of them, then BW does have to take them into account.

But Xbox has backwards compatibility for games all the way back to their original Xbox and a fair number of games get upgrades for the newer consoles.

That has more to do with people wanting to play older games than graphics, so I get your point. Just saying that you don't have that strong a point when it comes to consoles cause even Sony's doing backward compatibility now on the PS5 for PS4 games.

I do wonder how many customers are on old PCs though. Cause if there's enough of them, then BW does have to take them into account.

It would work the same as WoW, turn the settings down.

The baseline won’t change, I’m not suggesting rip the whole game apart that is obviously not going to happen. But updates to lighting, shadows, 4K textures etc. All possible and all can be turned on or off.

Sure, but the flaw in your reasoning here is that Sony and Microsoft have made their *new* hardware capable of running the old games, whereas the cited objection for SWTOR doing an upgrade is the perceived need to support the reverse, old hardware running new (or like-new) games.

Bear in mind that the minimum sysreqs for SWTOR *have* gone up over the years. It's one reason why we get complaints about cut-scenes, especially newer ones, hanging on old PCs. (Notable rise: the minimum graphics card sysreq is now 1GB of *dedicated* memory on the card, which it wasn't at launch. That automatically excludes lots of older machines from the current sysreqs, and those machines would have been "reasonable" when the game was launched, even if they were far from ideal.)

• 7 months later...

It may be work, but considering they just announced a remaster of KOTOR, it may be worth it to set up the next decade.

If you think it is "good enough", and for the record I play for the stories, go check out Black Desert Online, who just remastered. Their quests are pathetic, but the graphics/gameplay is just stunning and you don't need a massive rig to run them. I cannot even imagine how jaw dropping SWTORs environments would look with the same treatment.

Old v New