Is SWTOR closer to full canon?

Vhaegrant

Does the inclusion of SWTOR on the Lacasfilm Games sizzle reel mean it's full canon now?

I know there have been a few subtle references to Revan (not MY Revan, but then it's not MY Revan in SWTOR either 😏) but as far as i remember bSWTOR was on the canned EU pile.

Edit: forgot to include a link to the Sizzle reel 😕

Edited by Vhaegrant

Of course not. The story of SWTOR *cannot* be canon unless it is vague about details at the "almost lost in the mists of history" level. There isn't one definitive *anything* about the identity or appearance of the main protagonist, nor the protagonist's faction allegiance, job (Jedi, Sith, soldier, smuggler, etc.), choice of weapons and clothes, etc., so the best they could manage from a canon point of view would be "an Outlander was captured by Prince Arcann, imprisoned, and then escaped and caused chaos that eventually led to the fall of the Eternal Emperor" and so on. As an actual story setting, it's a lost cause.

• 1 month later...
Is being canon even an issue when it happens three thousand years before Anakin's birth?

The question of canonicity has essenitally nothing to do with where the story is on the timeline, and (in the context of this thread) everything to do with the lack of a definitive version of the SWTOR story.

Is being canon even an issue when it happens three thousand years before Anakin's birth?

Yes and no. It really depends on what Disney wants to do with that time period. Especially if they go more into the high Republic. Then there is the issue with some of the characters and books that are under the non-canon list. One of these is Revan. By making SWTOR canon then they would have to most likely have to make the Revan book canon and if they are not already the 2 KOTOR's since both Revan and Meetra are in SWTOR. Something they could that would not canonize the other games or books is rewrite the story of the characters. This is just my take of what could happen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Honestly, if they DID make it all canon, the most likely thing they would do is what they did with this game. Everyone always says "We want KotOR 3!!!" Okay, well then play SWtOR as a Jedi Knight. That's your KotOR 3. Don't get me wrong, all the stories are amazing and the Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter are my two favorites, however if you want a true 'canon story' then the jedi knight's journey to defeat the Sith Emperor once and for all, well that really makes the most sense to be "canon" as that's the most consistent player story, especially with Scouge and Kira. I'd vote for a Female Miraluka Jedi Sentinel, but that's just me. Edited by AbsolutGrndZero

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly the way they could explain Swtor being cannon or not is supposedly how Favreau and Filoni are treating the sequel trilogy of being a alternate timeline due to the "World Between Worlds." 1 of the vast infinite alternate realities we get. Some characters were made canon again while others have not 1 way or another. But it would not take much for it to be canon all it would take is it to be referenced in whatever they are planning. Now there maybe a fixed set of events which are canon and others that aren't

The issue is with the storytelling of a MMO or RPG unless fixated linear there is a small chunk that would be cannon while others are not basically like Kotor and Kotor 2 had a lot of things that were not canon. Revan and Meetra's genders being neutral, somethings that happened in the storyline never actually happened and choices that are made.

The bones of swtor could be made canon while the events/choices unless they say were alternate timelines would not be canon.

• 4 months later...

I'm so sick of "Is it canon, or not" discussion. Why would you want SWTOR to go full cannon? Good stories are good stories. If you're enjoying it that is all that should matter. Also the new Disney cannon isn't exactly all that great. I remember they made big buzz about how all their new stories would be consistent and work with each other and their main trilogy of films couldn't even be consistent with itself, not to mention all the conflicts with their new stories. The Mandalorian contradicted some things from the Aftermath books. George Lucas(who always maintained the entire EU was in an alternate universe) in a recent interview even said there were no Jedi vs Sith wars which The Old Republic era of Star Wars is all about.

At this point I treat The Old Republic era as being in it's own universe separate from the official canon. There are far less limitations on it's story telling that way like how there technically shouldn't be any Sith Force ghosts, but SWTOR is full of them. Also it's just less stressful when you don't have to worry about something being cannon. I'm enjoying this game and it's stories regardless if it is cannon, or not.

After seeing what Disney did to Luke's character during "the Last Jedi" I'm glad SWTOR isn't part of the disney "canon".

At least his character was somewhat redeemed during "The Mandalorian" which I enjoyed.

I won't forgive them for not having Mara Jade either. They wanted to have a strong female lead (which is a good thing) that character's backstory would have fit the bill perfectly, and without all the nonsense of the marysue they went with, who did all this stuff with essentially no real backstory or training. Ya, I get she was that powerful because of the genetics of a Palpatine, but without training she would not have been able to do this type of thing. Yes, Luke didn't have much training either when he blew up the Death Star (only a bit of lightsaber practice with Obi-Wan and training bots) but he was already a good pilot- like his father before him-, but it shows him receiving quite a bit from Yoda on Dagobah.

• 6 months later...

Even if the story of the game isn't canon in particular there have been lots of hints that at least this version of the old republic in some capacity.

some examples

Tython is a canon planet

Rakata prime is a cann

multiple references to Mandalorian history which includes helmets that are from the old republic

the Crucible ship that Huyang is on HAS the old republic logo on it https://www.starwars.com/video/our-r...s-forgotten-us

episode 9 obviously has the sith fleet with ships named after old republic sith lords like Revan

there are lots, so while the specific stories from the game may not be canon, to some degree the old republic as we know it existed in one form or another.

Even if the story of the game isn't canon in particular there have been lots of hints that at least this version of the old republic in some capacity.

some examples

Tython is a canon planet

Rakata prime is a cann

multiple references to Mandalorian history which includes helmets that are from the old republic

the Crucible ship that Huyang is on HAS the old republic logo on it https://www.starwars.com/video/our-r...s-forgotten-us

episode 9 obviously has the sith fleet with ships named after old republic sith lords like Revan

there are lots, so while the specific stories from the game may not be canon, to some degree the old republic as we know it existed in one form or another.

Yea, though didn't they ditch Korriban completely now? It's no longer the Sith homeworld, nor is there even some race of red skinned aliens that they got their name from?

They changed the name of the sith homeworld to Moraband..........following the fine tradition of slightly misspelling words to make evil sounding names (see def: moribund)

That was Georgie boy's call.

Lucas is brilliant at the big picture stuff, but when it comes to the finer details of building up the history of the GFFA, he should just have kept his mouth shut. Lucas doesn't think historically, and he seems not to give much thought to his universe beyond the period of time the films take place.

So if the Jedi and Sith never waged one (or several) war(s) upon each other, what is this "revenge" that Maul spoke of having "at last?" Did some Jedi Master beat a Sith Lord at Pazaak and that's how the whole feud started?

Edited by robwettengel

• 4 weeks later...
The only way people who could support this and not be disappointed, they gotta lower their expectations because they won't deliver on those high expectations that Old Republic fans desire. Edited by swtoralexstar