Plz Don't Assume My Combat Style...

BigBack

To clear up some confusion we're reading, Force users will be able to change their first Combat Style to its mirror if they meet the Light or Dark-side alignment requirements to do so. That has not changed.

So now that the release is approaching, I am reading more about it and the more I read the more I hate it.

This change, which is being made so players can play the way the want has THESE KINDS OF LIMITS?!? By the time a new character reaches the ability to even do it, their class story is nearly finished. This defeats the whole damn purpose of it. Why the literal hell would someone think up this limitation when CLAIMING its being done to remove the class/story tie in?!? Wow...what is going on with this team? If my class is no longer tied to the story, why should it take as long as it takes to reach Light/Dark 5 to be able to even do it?

THINK ABOUT IT, a dark side Imperial character can use these skills starting at level 1 because they are imperial, and dark side. You are now claiming that class and story are not connected so why cant a Republic light side character also choose to use those same skills at level 1?

/SMH

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now that the release is approaching, I am reading more about it and the more I read the more I hate it.

This change, which is being made so players can play the way the want has THESE KINDS OF LIMITS?!? By the time a new character reaches the ability to even do it, their class story is nearly finished. This defeats the whole damn purpose of it. Why the literal hell would someone think up this limitation when CLAIMING its being done to remove the class/story tie in?!? Wow...what is going on with this team? If my class is no longer tied to the story, why should it take as long as it takes to reach Light/Dark 5 to be able to even do it?

THINK ABOUT IT, a dark side Imperial character can use these skills starting at level 1 because they are imperial, and dark side. You are now claiming that class and story are not connected so why cant a Republic light side character also choose to use those same skills at level 1?

/SMH

Apparently you can create a Jedi with a Sith combat style, even if it makes no sense to me. Is it what you meant?

/SMH

If you have reached dark and light v on any toon in your legacy you will be able to do this at toon creation.

If you have reached dark and light v on any toon in your legacy you will be able to do this at toon creation.

Which means what to a new player coming into the game only knowing a SWTOR where they are told classes are no longer tied to story and they can play a dark side Jedi? They are going to view this as a massive negative, the kind that makes people quit. They will not be able to partake of this change to the core of the game.

This was clearly not thought through, this is also going to appear to be as a paywall as well since the second style is locked behind a subscription. No, no I do not want to hear "they have to make money somehow". The game has made a profit for 10 years (a lot off me, ive been here since beta) without attempting to create a combat system that benefits only subscribers. That is a fundamental change to the base game and walks the fine line between pay-to-win and not.

Which means what to a new player coming into the game only knowing a SWTOR where they are told classes are no longer tied to story and they can play a dark side Jedi? They are going to view this as a massive negative, the kind that makes people quit. They will not be able to partake of this change to the core of the game.

They will be able to switch upon reaching dark V with their character as they don't have the legacy chievos yet. (That's what that switching is for) It makes more sense story wise as well. You start off as a jedi and as you fall to the dark side eventually you are able to use more sithy abilities. But obviously not from the start when you are still a padawan on tython.

This was clearly not thought through, this is also going to appear to be as a paywall as well since the second style is locked behind a subscription. No, no I do not want to hear "they have to make money somehow". The game has made a profit for 10 years (a lot off me, ive been here since beta) without attempting to create a combat system that benefits only subscribers. That is a fundamental change to the base game and walks the fine line between pay-to-win and not.

It's not even close to pay-to-win as this change does not affect your ability in combat one iota. Changing your combat style is effectively the same as relogging to an alt with that combat style. Especially since gear is bound on legacy and can thus be transferred over to said alt as well. It just saves on the need to have as many alts if you want to play all classes.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Dev Post

Hi folks,

We’ve seen confusion regarding Combat Styles when your subscription ends and your account is under a Preferred status. Please refer back to Chris Schmidt's post:

• As we previously stated, the ability to have a second Combat Style and the additional Loadouts that come with it are features for active subscribers. Related to this topic, we did see a question being asked of “what happens to my second Combat Style if my subscription lapses?”. In short, your “second” Combat Style will become unusable including its Loadouts. Note the quotations around the word second. If your subscription lapses, your useable Combat Style will be the one you last logged out on when the cancellation hits your account. This means that if you log out on your primary Combat Style, you will continue to be able to play with that one and its Loadouts. If you log out on your secondary Combat Style, you will continue to be able to play with that one and its Loadouts. Essentially, whichever Combat Style is active when your sub lapses is the one you will continue to use when you log back in.

Hi folks,

We’ve seen confusion regarding Combat Styles when your subscription ends and your account is under a Preferred status. Please refer back to Chris Schmidt's post:

There are a lot of subscribers having issues with their secondary combat style as well and we've thus far gotten no information on what's actually going on. Some tickets have been responded to and some people have had their characters partially fixed, but when a bug was swapping characters' faction and voice and removing their ship, I feel like that warrants a public response. Can we have some information on what's going on and what's being done to resolve the issue, please?

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

Hi folks,

It would be nice if you could add a cartel market item to unlock the secondary combat style for free players as well.

• 1 month later...

So I have a Dark Side V achievement on my legacy on the server but I cannot create a lvl 1 dark side jedi? As in, assassin/jugg/sorc/mara? Those options were supposed to be available if you had the cheevo?

Is this a bug?

Edited by dorothydeath

So I have a Dark Side V achievement on my legacy on the server but I cannot create a lvl 1 dark side jedi? As in, assassin/jugg/sorc/mara? Those options were supposed to be available if you had the cheevo?

Is this a bug?

I believe you still have to finish the first 3 chapters of the original story for each of them as well. That would be the only other requirement needed to unlock the combat styles.

If not then I'm stumped.

Edited by ronin_chi_lao