Gearing Changes in 5.1.1 and 5.1.2

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

As I mentioned earlier this week, we have quite a few changes planned for gearing over the next few Updates. Let’s go over what they are, when they are happening, and why!

Game Update 5.1.1 – Coming February 7th

• All Command Experience Points (CXP) gains, CXP Boosts, and CXP Legacy Perks are now additive instead of multiplicative.
    • This change is being made to setup for the greatly increased CXP gains that are possible in 5.1.1 (if you love math click the spoiler tag below for what this means in greater detail)

[*]New CXP leveling event. This event will run until Game Update 5.2 in April. During this event all CXP earned will be increased by 250%.

• The goal is that you will earn one crate every 30 minutes or less. The 30 minute time-frame is for a Tier 3 crate (meaning 1 and 2 will be even faster).

[*]All CXP Packs that you earn from drops and Missions are now Bind on Legacy.

• This change is to help a player distribute CXP around their Legacy if they choose to do so.

[*]We are introducing a new 100% CXP boost in addition to the existing 15% and 25% boosts. This boost can be purchased from the Command Token vendor or the Cartel Market. This boost only works up to Command Rank 180 and lasts 2 hours (Command Tokens) or 3 hours (Cartel Market).

• The goal of selling this boost for Command Tokens is that it allows higher Command Rank players to use their Tokens to greatly accelerate leveling their alts (you can also buy them on the CM or GTN).

Game Update 5.1.2 – Coming February 28th

• We will be rebalancing the CXP rewards you earn from Operations. Boss kills will now award more CXP than they did previously. The Operations Weekly has had its CXP reward greatly increased.
    • Operations CXP rewards are below where we would like them to be and so we are increasing their CXP value from both gameplay and Missions.

[*]Group Finder Daily CXP Rewards are being added. Completing the Daily Group Finder Bonus will award you with a bonus CXP Pack.

• We wanted to ensure there were great CXP incentives to participating in Group Finder. By making it a CXP Pack it has the added bonus of being Bind on Legacy so you can use it on whatever character you would like.

[*]The completion Mission for Flashpoints have had their CXP values greatly increased.

• Flashpoint CXP rewards are also below where we would like them be to and so we have added a much larger CXP bonus for completing their respective Missions.

[*]The Flashpoint and Uprising Weekly Missions have had their CXP rewards increased.

• Our goal is to really encourage players to play multiple types of content for the best rewards. We want to encourage playing a diverse set of content, not a singular activity (although you can always still do that if you prefer)

[*]The PvP Daily and Weekly Missions now reward a batch of Unassembled Components.

• This is one of the changes we are making to help players in getting Unassembled Components faster. It also incentivizes dabbling into PvP often.

[*]We have increased the Unassembled Components that are awarded to players after completing Ranked and Unranked Warzones.

• Not only did we want to reward playing Warzones through Missions, but we also wanted to ensure that those of you who play primarily Warzones each day could work towards purchasing gear quicker.

In the future

• Unassembled Components and Legacy. We understand your Legacy is important to you and we agree with that, we are looking at ways to address that in the future.

These are all of the changes you can expect in 5.1.1 and 5.1.2 for Galactic Command. As you can see there is a lot happening and we want to hear what you think. As we go through these updates we will continue to monitor feedback and data to see what other adjustments may need to be made!

-eric

Let’s take a look at what the change from multiplicative to additive means. Warning, if you don’t like math, you’re not going to enjoy this 

The way CXP and its respective boosts work right now is that the % increases multiply with each other, hence the term multiplicative. Assuming that normal CXP gains =100%, this is what multiplicative boosting looks like:

CXP + legacy boost + CXP boost

100% * 10% * 25% = 137.5% CXP earned

Here is a more extreme example to see where this gets complex:

CXP + legacy boost + CXP boost + highlighted activity + DvL Bonus

100% * 10% * 25% * 20% * 15% = 189.75% CXP earned

As you can see, the more boosts you add into the equation the more difficult it becomes to tell how much of a bonus you are actually getting. Since we are going to be running a 250% CXP event and adding a 100% boost. We thought this would be a good time to make that math cleaner for players to figure out and so that our % boost wouldn’t get difficult to manage. Now, the same math from above would look like this:

CXP + legacy boost + CXP boost

100% + 10% + 25% = 135% CXP earned

CXP + legacy boost + CXP boost + highlighted activity + DvL Bonus

100% + 10% + 25% + 20% + 15% = 170% CXP earned

One thing you will notice is that the % you earn with additive is lower than that of multiplicative. That is one of the reasons that we are making this change under the new event, so that you aren’t actually losing any CXP earned. We also will factor this into future changes to ensure that the additive change isn’t a nerf to the CXP you earn. Especially since our goal is to ensure you are earning it faster, not slower.

Edited by TaitWatson

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this information. But what about what's in the crates? I don't care to get a crate every thirty minutes if it's filled with useless items, like the past 20+ crates I've opened. I'm not going to stay subscribed for that kind of system.

Again, thank you for the information but you need to address the crates themselves.

Edited by SlthBounteHuntah

Not bad, but can you guys please put back reg arena CXP to the old way. Why punish players where they have no way to choose what gametype they want in pvp.

I also got 2 arenas yesterday that gave us literally 0 CXP and 0 components as well. Might want to look into that.

Edit: Please do better with legacy, can't gear at all on ALTS unless I play 8+ hrs a day.

Edited by Jmenks

Your solution is to make the grind faster without fixing a single RNG issue. How does this help the people getting 100s of crates and no actual gear.

The second part of your solution is to make us PURCHASE with real money a way to make the grind faster.

You are not actually fixing anything.

I am glad my sub is ending in a few months. You are not offering any reason to play the game.

Edited by BelenUmeria

Any plans on making CXP leveling legacy-wide? :(

Game Update 5.1.1 – Coming February 7th

• All CXP Packs that you earn from drops and Missions are now Bind on Legacy.
    • This change is to help a player distribute CXP around their Legacy if they choose to do so.

[*]We are introducing a new 100% CXP boost in addition to the existing 15% and 25% boosts. This boost can be purchased from the Command Token vendor or the Cartel Market. This boost only works up to Command Rank 180 and lasts 2 hours (Command Tokens) or 3 hours (Cartel Market).

• The goal of selling this boost for Command Tokens is that it allows higher Command Rank players to use their Tokens to greatly accelerate leveling their alts (you can also buy them on the CM or GTN).

I'd just rather have CXP leveling be legacy-wide and that's it. All of this just makes the system more convoluted than it already is. It's such a headache to keep up with how GC works.

And at first glance most of the other changes look positive, but in actuality are eh are best. Please address these two major concerns:

Nothing in this addresses RNG gear or the quality of the boxes Eric...:confused:

Not bad, but can you guys please put back reg arena CXP to the old way. Why punish players where they have no way to choose what gametype they want in pvp.

I also got 2 arenas yesterday that gave us literally 0 CXP and 0 components as well. Might want to look into that.

Edit: Please do better with legacy, can't gear at all on ALTS unless I play 8+ hrs a day.

Edited by Talon_strikes

Disclaimer: I still do not like the set up of GC as far as RNG gearing is concerned and wish it wasn't there at all.

Having said that, in the context of GC these changes are positive changes in my view and so I am happy with them in that context.

Still hope you'll address what drops from the crates.

Edited by Tsillah

Sadly, Components remain restricted to PvP. I have to get over 1000 additional components to upgrade all my tokens to 242 gear, and I don't enjoy PvP too much, GSF even less. There were many suggestions to have components drop from flashpoints and uprisings to give PvE players a way to upgrade their gear (because seriously, 242 only dropping from NiM bosses is a joke, only a handful guilds can kill NiM endbosses), but you ignored them.

So I guess I have to continue queueing for PvP, and even when I'm sick and tired of PvP for the day, it's not enough, so I'll just put in the least effort and go AFK when it's clear we'll lose the match, anything to continue earning components. I hate letting the teammates down, but at this point, the frustration from the grind is bigger than any backlash I'd get from other players, which is entirely the devs' fault for designing such a flawed system.

Having components drop from the daily/weekly quest is a welcoming change but I doubt it will make much of a difference; I have to play like 5x times as many warzones per day as are required by the daily. For the daily/weekly quests to make a difference, the daily would have to drop 30+ components and the weekly 150+. We'll see by how much the Components per match get increased, but going by the CXP changes it will probably only be a 50% increase at most, which is not nearly enough, and February 28 is too late anyway.

Edited by Jerba

You even said in one of your posts that you guys were looking at the contents of the crates... and yet nothing.

It has been explained many times how the RNG nature and terrible drop rates of the crates is the core problem which causes all the others. Why are the devs willfully ignoring this fact?

Edited by AscendingSky

...speeding up rng still leaves it broken....just faster.

They didn't hear a word about how increasing the speed alone wouldn't fix a thing.

They heard it. They did not listen. When the Devs tell you how exciting RNG is with a straight face, there is no way they will change it.

Honestly, I will lay a bet that person who came up with Galactic Command has their career on the line for it. They will not admit that it is terrible and will not change the RNG.

I am almost happy that they developed it though. I was having a lot of trouble admitting to myself that SWTOR and I needed to part ways. Galactic Command made it much easier to say goodbye by killing my remaining joy in the game and forcing me to watch my guild members move to other games.

Edited by BelenUmeria

Sorry, this does nothing to fix the underlying problem.

If you can go 40+ boxes opened with no useful pieces, as many of us have, whether those boxes come in 10 or 5 hours makes no difference. It still sucks either way and actively discourages people from playing.

Also, please remember that you are talking to SUBSCRIBERS that pay a monthly fee. Including additional paid boosts in all your calculations as if we are expected to pay even more every month to fix your problem is downright insulting.

I'm not an idiot, don't try and take me for one. In fact, that attitude of implicit deceit is worse than the system itself.

Edited by Voblat

thats pretty cool news eric!

are we going to see missing skins return in the near future like the old centurion pvp gear for sith inqusitors? you already gave us back the jedi version of the inquisitor gear and i am very grateful. looking forward to hearing good news :)

thanks in advance

It has been explained many times how the RNG nature and terrible drop rates of the crates is the core problem which causes all the others.
- that hard keep getting Unassembled Components with Command Tokens and just get piece of gear what you want from vendor? Guess .. yes. RNG is only helping matter.

This news does not make me excited. I guess these changes to GC make a for me completely broken system playable. I would probably not have unsubbed or uninstalled if GC started out like that. Not sure yet if it's enough to get me back. Edited by cyrusramsey

You even said in one of your posts that you guys were looking at the contents of the crates... and yet nothing.

It has been explained many times how the RNG nature and terrible drop rates of the crates is the core problem which causes all the others. Why are the devs willfully ignoring this fact?

Thinking about this concern more makes me think that, on another note, maybe their metrics show that the nature of RNG has been Exciting™?

:rak_03:

Edited by Talon_strikes

Sorry, but earning boxes faster when they are dropping nothing but worthless garbage does not solve the problem. Earning more worthless junk per hour does not give me an incentive to grind years old content. Looks like my decision to give ESO a try was the right one, they will be getting my sub money in place of SWTOR. They have an alternate advancement system beyond max level too but it does not revolve around boxes of useless garbage.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing here to address the primary concerns with GC's RNG based gearing. More crap boxes faster is just more crap. We have given you all sorts of suggestions to fix the end game gearing experience. Mine is here, http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=911737 . None of them include keeping GC as the primary end game gearing system.

I am sorry to see that BWA refuses to actually listen to customer complaints and instead keeps running with a system those paying customers have plainly said is not working and is not acceptable. I wish you luck, but I don't expect things to work out well for the game or the people employed to run it.

I had already removed my payment info. I have now unsubbed and given my feedback.

Subscription Plans

You have 3 days of subscription play time remaining.

• Dev Post
Nothing in this addresses RNG gear or the quality of the boxes Eric...:confused:

In this set of changes, not yet. We are still looking into Crate contents to see where changes should be made. It would be a much more substantial change from our side to update the contents and so although we are definitely open to doing so, we wanted to take these steps first.

-eric