Best healer for pvp? Pros and cons for each?

Jibblitz

Merc

OP

Sage

In that order. Its pretty much all based on DCD's Merc has the best dcds of any healing class and can take way more focus then the others. Operative has more utility and better aoe healing. Sage is in last as they cant really take focus and their big disengage button bubble requires them to stop healing while Mercs can still heal with dcds running.

That having been said, Sage is fine as long as you’re not being focused. And if you’re playing in regs, there’s a distinct lack of focus 9 times out of 10. I can’t count the number of times I’ve just freecast to my heart’s desire, or watched another healer do so.

That having been said, Sage is fine as long as you’re not being focused. And if you’re playing in regs, there’s a distinct lack of focus 9 times out of 10. I can’t count the number of times I’ve just freecast to my heart’s desire, or watched another healer do so.

Yep, in regs I can heal as my sage most of the time without issue. Every now and then you'll run into a team that's organized and they focus me down, and I have a bad time.

As a merc it doesn't matter if you're focused. The best set of DCDs and overall toolset for healing in PVP. Can't recommend any more highly.

Edited by waisting

Depends on how much effort you want to put into the game. Easiest and least demanding would be mercenary, then sorcerer leaving operative as the most demanding.

I'd start with mercenary if you're new to the game or new to MMO PvP, this one has its own unique things but just keep in mind gear is very important, set bonuses, augments, amplifiers, tactics. Pretty much everyone has them in PvP and if you don't you're severely handicapping yourself.

Mercenary pros

- 3 Different DCDS that can heal you, without you having to cast heals.

- 3 Different DCDS that are actually impactful, one with relatively lower CD.

- Can basically have no resource management problems against certain specs, lightning to be specific.

- Has a net.

- 360 knock, with talent this can be used quite often.

- Hydraulics and jetout.

Mercenary cons

- Lots of casting.

- Kinda immobile without hydraulics, jet out is nice but often not enough.

- Most people understand how your reflect works now.

Sorcerer pros

- Electrocute -25% damage for 10 seconds after electrocute is up. Quite powerful for stopping burst.

- Polarity shift with talents is typically better mobility than the others, pairing with force speed having emersion, which purges roots for the duration while polarity can give immunity.

- Force barrier, hit or miss honestly, just have to learn how to make the most of it.

- Phase walk, if you're new learning all the mechanics of it is pretty important.

- Bubble stun.

- Pull that can give allies DR.

Sorcerer cons

- Can be squishy.

- Emersion is one of your few options for DR.

- Need to kite and make use of your whole kit to be efficient.

- Kind of goes oom fast, but management isn't too difficult.

Operative pros

- Can put out really high amounts of healing overall.

- Has stealth, a teleport to ally or enemy, and a roll.

- Stim boost DR is incredibly powerful with the % healing on top of it with a way to reset it also.

Operative cons

- Squishy if you don't use absorb/evasion correctly.

- Nearly always dead in a stun if you don't pre-pop something.

- Probe upkeep requires quite a bit of attention and is key to really good output.

- Not great at burst healing.

I know we are talking about regs were anything can be viable, but some of the responses are so wrong in this thread.

Merc is the easiest healer in PvP. It may seem like the best because of how easy it is to play, but in higher end pvp merc healer is vulnerable to cleave (AOE) and LOS because of it's lack of mobility. It also has little group utility other than net.

Sorc healer is actually the best healer in the game. It is much harder to play than merc, because players can't sit there facetanking damage like merc but if played right it has relatively similar HPS output with extreme mobility and the best utility.

Edited by septru

there are a lot more good sages in regs (on SF) than any other class.

I rarely see ops even trying to heal anymore. most that do are amateurish and bad. occasionally a decent one shows up.

definitely a lot of mercs...mostly pretty easy to burst down. obviously harder when they roll in grps with tanks. but nothing wrong with that.

in terms of healing classes in regs though, sages do a lot better than the others in general. agree that merc is the most user friendly (and the only one I heal with. lul)

going up against a team with merc/sorc combo healers and one jugg to guard swap though....it's more or less impossible to do anything against them in regs (poor focus/swaps and unoptimized dps). unless you have a squad of crushers or sativa or something in your ops.

Edited by CheesyEZ

Wow, great info, thanks! Keep it coming!

edit: I played SWTOR back in the day and I played both Sorc and Op. Op was so much fun with Hots and mobility and rolls. Is it really not that great in pvp, especially the rated stuff?

edit 2: also, which of the 3 does the best dps?

Edited by Jibblitz

I know we are talking about regs were anything can be viable, but some of the responses are so wrong in this thread.

Merc is the easiest healer in PvP. It may seem like the best because of how easy it is to play, but in higher end pvp merc healer is vulnerable to cleave (AOE) and LOS because of it's lack of mobility. It also has little group utility other than net.

Sorc healer is actually the best healer in the game. It is much harder to play than merc, because players can't sit there facetanking damage like merc but if played right it has relatively similar HPS output with extreme mobility and the best utility.

doesn't matter sorc heal more, heck even ops/scouns heal more than merc. but they all melt except mercs, they are almost impossible to kill with guards.

a healer that dies quick will spend more time respawning or dying for round(if ranked) than one who has survivability. you have to be delusional if you think survivability doesn't matter on healers

Edited by Turn-XGundam

I think Operatives are the best healers in 8-man regs and Mercs the best in arenas/ranked.

Sorc is a bit behind because he is too reliant on his smart heals and sometimes they don´t work (I´ve seen them healing NPCs, clickable objects and invisible stuff). Also he is easy to focus. The other healers, especially merc have better/easier survivability.

doesn't matter sorc heal more, heck even ops/scouns heal more than merc. but they all melt except mercs, they are almost impossible to kill with guards.

a healer that dies quick will spend more time respawning or dying for round(if ranked) than one who has survivability. you have to be delusional if you think survivability doesn't matter on healers

Survivability matters a great deal for healers, which is one of the reasons op healers aren't great atm. But for all their DCDs merc healers do not have great survivability. They may seem to have the best survivability on paper because of all of their defensive cooldowns. But a lot of cleave specs tear through their DcDs and use a merc's lack of mobility to cleave off the whole team.

Sorc healers have the best mobility, utility, and overall kit which directly leads to the best survivability. While sorc healer may be much harder to play, since you can't just sit there and facetank like on merc, the amount of kiting a sorc's kit provides far surpasses the DcDs on merc.

TLDR: Merc is a good healer, but against good players sorc offers more. But merc is much easier to play than sorc.

I don't believe it's been mentioned yet, but sorcs also have 2 breakers (force barrier breaks ccs), which is especially important for healers as they are usually getting cc'd in solo ranked matches.

The main thing merc healers have going for them is net, which can be game changing in the right circumstances, but sorc healers do tend to have more success in solo ranked overall, mainly due to better kiting capabilities.

Edited by JediMasterAlex