This isn't goodbye…

CourtneyWoods

Almost four(!) years ago, I joined the SWTOR Community team. It’s been an amazing ride and I’ve learned so much not only from my teammates (yes, even Musco :jawa_wink:), but all of you. Your constant enthusiasm and passion for SWTOR has been a daily motivator for me. From Cantinas to livestreams, I’ve enjoyed meeting some of you and chatting about everything from string cheese to our favorite companions.

I would only give up these daily interactions with all of you for a truly great opportunity. I am happy to announce that I have been offered my dream job of becoming a writer at BioWare. This has been my career goal ever since I first loaded up Dragon Age: Origins. At the time, I was leaning more into comics, but that game literally changed my life – I switched career paths and have done everything in my power to reach this point. To say I am excited would be a great understatement! I’ve been over the moon since I was offered the position.

I’ll still be around – less in General Discussion and more in Story and Lore – but I will no longer be a member of the community team. I look forward to hearing your feedback when my work goes into the game. If you want to see some of my work, check out the Darth Marr and Theron Shan blogs we recently posted!

Thank you for a great four years! I’ll see y’all around. :jawa_biggrin:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost four(!) years ago, I joined the SWTOR Community team. It’s been an amazing ride and I’ve learned so much not only from my teammates (yes, even Musco :jawa_wink:), but all of you. Your constant enthusiasm and passion for SWTOR has been a daily motivator for me. From Cantinas to livestreams, I’ve enjoyed meeting some of you and chatting about everything from string cheese to our favorite companions.

I would only give up these daily interactions with all of you for a truly great opportunity. I am happy to announce that I have been offered my dream job of becoming a writer at BioWare. This has been my career goal ever since I first loaded up Dragon Age: Origins. At the time, I was leaning more into comics, but that game literally changed my life – I switched career paths and have done everything in my power to reach this point. To say I am excited would be a great understatement! I’ve been over the moon since I was offered the position.

I’ll still be around – less in General Discussion and more in Story and Lore – but I will no longer be a member of the community team. I look forward to hearing your feedback when my work goes into the game. If you want to see some of my work, check out the Darth Marr and Theron Shan blogs we recently posted!

Thank you for a great four years! I’ll see y’all around. :jawa_biggrin:

That's fantastic news Courtney! Congratulations :D

Looking forward to seeing your work - in this game and hopefully in many others in the years to come.

That is truly amazing! As an aspiring writer I'm jealous, but as a fan of SWTOR I'm thrilled you'll be joining the writing team. I hope you create some fantastic new stories for us and I can't wait to see what you write up :D

What they said.

Congratulations Courtney and best of luck with your new role.

Grats on becoming a writer. I think you was one of the better staff on the CM team though and with Pokkets recent departure the CM team is getting a bit thin. This is probably more of a question for Eric but will you guys be hiring someone new for the CM team to replace Courtney? (Is it true it will be Fridge SA? :p)

Cool congratulations. I'm sure your work will be a breath of fresh air to the team. Cheers.

A side question, are you still maintained to the Bioware Austin team or will you also get the chance to work with others, for example the ones who Canada who work with ME series or your first love so to speak DA?

Either way congraluations, its a huge step up and getting to be writter for Bioware is certainly comes having a certain level of prestige.

WOOT!!!

There is a great history of writers from Bioware and must seem like it stepping onto Lambeau filed in green/gold or Yankee stadium in pinstripes. I couldn't imagine what it would be like. Best of luck!

Hopefully there is a very long future beyond just in game lore/dialogue...been anxious for a new set of BW novels ;)

I am happy to announce that I have been offered my dream job of becoming a writer at BioWare. This has been my career goal ever since I first loaded up Dragon Age: Origins.

Congratulatrions ! :)

But - please do be careful. Female writers are not liked very well by ... some players. One quit because of that.

Please do a firewall, an HEAVY firewall between your private, personal life and your job. Delete all of your contacts and contact ways so that ... "not satisfied fans" ... might not get ANY possibility to hurt you.

And keep away from internet forums when in doubt. Reading too many negative comments can draw one down.

One thing I have in mind is forming some kind of network between female writers and other female professionals within the gaming industry. A network that you can turn to, if filled with questions. A network that might even catch you if you are in doubt. A safety net, so to say.

I personally believe that female professionals do need networks like this - simply because the whole gaming industry is so much male-oriented.

I highly appreciate your work here, and I wish you a lot of good luck. :)

And, a last word - be picky regarding your own copyright !

Here in Germany it is - thank God - not possible to sell "intellectual property". I firmly believe that only the author should be the holder of ALL of the self-created "intellectual property", only licensing it.

And, there's still the Fan Fiction section at TheForce.Net ... ;)

Alrik

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

Congratulations Courtney! That really is a dream job come true; I wish you the best at your new position!

Sadly, I haven't seen you posting on the forums too much, so your work was not as visible as what Tait and Musco were doing, but I enjoyed the livestreams with you and I'm sure you helped the Community Team a lot and did the best in your power. :)

But what about the Community Team now? I hope you'll be able to still keep up all the yellow posts with just two people, or are you going to bring Pokket back into the team? :rak_01:

Edited by Jerba