Separating Story From Gameplay

CommunityTeam

This is largely how people have been expecting it to go. However, I do not quite understand how BASE class skills will be affected. On live we have 2 lists of skills, ex. Trooper and Commando. The Commando will be picked up by any Tech class that goes Commando, however what exactly happens to the Trooper base skills?

Will this be a case of Base skills stuffed into Advanced lines? Will Base skills remain unique to the Base class? Considering there is a lot of overhauling of the classes on the PTS I don't believe that has been made specifically clear just yet.

As cool as all this sounds (no sarc) I still wish they would just open up weapons as well/instead so that I can use a rifle on my Powertech without having to give up the Powertech Adv class (Fire>Plasma). Same goes for Commando. Agent use a Pistol without having to change to Smuggler (Knife>Fists) etc etc. Edited by TyrFoge

I am wondering if we will be able to switch between combat styles (advanced classes) as many times as we want, or if we will be locked into one, once we choose it.

With the way they keep dodging the question, I'm pretty sure it will be locked (behind a paywall).

The force users will be able to switch to the mirror class to reflect alignment change, but there has been no real implication that on-the-fly combat style switching will be a thing. The devs are laying the groundwork for making switching possible, yes. But I'm pretty sure it will be a cartel market item.

Edited by Mubrak

You almost had it, you were on the verge of greatness!

Then you decided i HAVE to choose a tech combat style for some classes... guess those 8 guys will still be unplayable for a few more years.

Way to dash one's hopes after the original announcement.

This still tells us nothing. Shadows, nothing but shadows. How about some details.

I have to agree. It's like after the overwhelmingly poor feedback from the initial PTS they're trying to re-sell the whole combat style idea and still telling us nothing.

In addition, I'm still waiting for my saboteur option to switch sides. Being able to use what are considered light or dark options from the opposing side doesn't really cut it for me.

If you have an existing character when Legacy of the Sith launches, when you log into the game, you will be able to choose a Combat Style immediately. You can choose a Combat Style similar to your previous Advanced Class or choose something new. The choice is yours!

This is pretty much the ONLY telling new bit of info in this carefully crafted update after a month of PTS and generally poor feedback and tons of questions from the concerned community.

Something else that's telling?

Boba Fett is a bounty hunter who primarily uses a rifle, Captain Rex is a soldier who fights with two pistols, and so on. Wouldn’t it be great if SWTOR let you create and customize these awesome characters, and more?

Despite all the "choice" they claim to be opening up to service our desire to play characters that better fit the wider SW canon and media franchise the only 2 illustrative examples they could give us were 2 tech users.

Tech users should never have been bound to specific weapon types because each weapon is a tool that can be learned by any intelligent being at any time. And that learning can happen throughout their lifetime so up-skilling/cross-skilling should always have been possible, so many RPGs of the past had multi-class player options to mimic the real world experience of being a thinking, adaptable being using the tools at hand or of preference. Allowing players this freedom has no particularly substantive impact on their storyline choices or origins and is even less significant re: how your persona and alignment develops (unless your character's material dimension is like "I just love to kill things slicey-dicey-metal-bladey" or "Bisecting bodies with streams of autofire get me off" or "Fi-yuhhhhhh... heh heh heh")

So... Force users, with this "freedom" we will now have a slew of redeemed / fallen wizards in both factions desperate to unlock all the shinies so they can style it like a Boss. This collectively just trashes the story of the "Galaxy" as has been described by all the story-crafters since '77, maybe fair-dos we're making our own story... but...

Alignment in SW is about a moral choice, the Force powers expressed reflect that morality and when you are redeemed or fall you renounce your previous morality, so it's a conscious choice to wield the Force in a particular way. So yes if you perform enough "good" and "evil" acts to swing to LS V and DS V you can unravel the different extremes of Force manipulation and just like Tech skills that's knowledge one retains (barring amnesia or some Deus-Ex cutting off of knowledge by some supreme Force-usage controller). But in the sense of story it makes a mockery when hundreds of thousands of Jedi and Sith start "swinging both ways", perhaps within minutes of being one way, they're diametrically aligned the opposite all for the convenience of dropping a coup de grace with a rock or purple crackles.

Yes, we absolutely need to know if changing Loadouts is something that can be done repeatedly on one toon and how often and under what circumstances. The choice of name (presumably well considered) seems to imply that you can just walk to your (magic) locker/armoury and just pull your different go-bags for however you want to tool up for an encounter, but some people seem to be hoping that you can pull it out of a magic hat at any time, wherever you are and from moment to moment. So will this new version of "field respec" be permitted, just a more absurd version of changing skill-sets and gear that we can currently get away with to cheese a "difficult" encounter?

Some of the utility being offered absolutely should've been in the tin from way back but adding it now, in this fashion is cludgey to say the least. Why not start a new property with a new engine with the new design ethic, start small and build it up as the budget is justified by the proven popularity of the new take on all the platforms it's built for from the ground up. Worse comes to worst? All SWTOR subs move to the new title (perhaps for more money) and they can close down support on this ailing beast.

By changing classes to origin stories, and moving combat away from that integration, this does open the door again for more origin stories.

One of the biggest reasons why swtor lost so many players early on was their decision to kill class stories.

When that became official, there was a major hemorrhage of players.

Introducing more origin stories would be an amazing addition.

By changing classes to origin stories, and moving combat away from that integration, this does open the door again for more origin stories.

One of the biggest reasons why swtor lost so many players early on was their decision to kill class stories.

I hope you are right. The big issue here is the shady misdirection BW is using to advertise combat styles.

"Play as a Bounty Hunter using a Blaster Rifle like you've always wanted". When in reality you would be picking the BH storyline but playing an Operative. Even that is loose because you will only be referred to as a BH in game up to level 50 when you beat the storyline. After that and for all the end game you are referred to as Commander and such.

This wouldn't be an issue if they were honest about the feature that accounts for half of the expansions marketing. Anyone who read the two official news pages describing Combat Styles, without coming onto the forums and/or participating in the PTR, are led to believe this system is something it most certainly is not. Most players don't frequent Reddit and the forums, much less read PTR patch notes or participate in the testing.

I've had so many player tell me how excited they are to finally play their Juggernaut with a saberstaff, have their Imperial Agent at last whip out a side arm; Only for me to have to explain that the system advertised by BW is not what they intend on releasing. In fact, rather than add more to the classes like the description would have you believe, you are getting LESS class than you currently have. By splitting the class abilities on your action bar in half or thirds and making you pick between what you already have access to.

BW, by releasing this post yesterday you have shown that you intend on keep the majority of players, that don't go beyond your official news pages, in the dark in regards to your true intentions. You have doubled down with this misdirection. Just be honest. And to those who will inevitably come to defend BW's actions: Go read the two news articles advertising combat styles and watch that portion of the live stream announcement. All three describe an entirely different mechanic/feature than what will launch. Then remember that we pointed out the confusion, didn't have to as it was quite obvious, after the guardian PTR went live. And that weeks later they AGAIN market combat styles with same descriptions as the original misleading announcements. Don't defend someone who doesn't give a damn about being completely honest with you.

When you say "More Origin Stories" are you intending to mean "Expanded or Continuing Stories for each Origin (Class)"?

Or do you mean that they VA and Cut Scene all new content for each "Combat Style" connected to the Origin Stories?

I'm thinking the first but want to check and be sure what you meant.

Edited by Kass

You almost had it, you were on the verge of greatness!

Then you decided i HAVE to choose a tech combat style for some classes... guess those 8 guys will still be unplayable for a few more years.

Not sure why you'd say that; people play those classes in all kinds of content at all difficulty levels. In fact, some of them are the top DPS Disciplines. Not to mention very versatile Healer Disciplines. Speaking from experience here.

Way to dash one's hopes after the original announcement.

The original announcement and this article are in perfect agreement. There is no substantive difference that I can see.

Edited by mike_carton

Not sure why you'd say that; people play those classes in all kinds of content at all difficulty levels. In fact, some of them are the top DPS Disciplines. Not to mention very versatile Healer Disciplines. Speaking from experience here.

The original announcement and this article are in perfect agreement. There is no substantive difference that I can see.

Except that both announcements advertise a feature that is completely different than what the feature is in reality. They are using specific wording that is extremely misleading.

Ask anyone who does frequent the forums and are unaware of the PTR. Most believe Biowares description of being a Bounty Hunter that uses sniper rifles. That isn't true. You get the story of the BH (which is only relevant flavor until lvl 50) but you are playing the Marksman class.

If they weren't intentionally being misleading they wouldn't have used the same description in the most recent post after two weeks of obvious confusion.

As a loyal subscriber/beta-tester since 2008/2011, i'm trying real hard to understand these 7.0 changes. :confused:

Basically, it seems like the crux of this LotS update/revamp is to give us yet another way to REPLAY the entire game all over again....again? (similar to what 1 of the previous BW producers said to us years ago, paraphrasing: "If you're bored, go roll an ALT" )

I'm not saying i won't enjoy doing all that ^ (depending upon how drastic combat ends up supposedly "dumbed down" ) but i am saying this particular "complete overhaul" type decision is just sorta perplexing to me. (especially amidst this our *10th Anniversary* year of SWTOR )

I feel like we aren't being completely informed yet about the deeper purpose of these upcoming changes. It all just seems sorta....i dunno...out of left-field (arbitrary) when compared to all the other potential directions the Dev Team could've gone.

Looking forward to more & more transparency & details, over the coming weeks. :ph_cheers:

Onboard since 2009. I second everything Nee-Elder wrote.

On top of that, I strongly feel that playing the "origin stories" with different advanced classes won't be such a great experience, since they were literally written (and optimised) for the specific classes.

I don't see how stealthing through the trooper story would enhance the story experience. Troopers often have kill counts objectives. So stealthing won't help that much.

On the other hand, gunslingering through the trooper story doesn't seem to make much of a difference to me.

I still have a bad feeling about 7.0. Even worse than before 6.0. And I'm one of the players who actually liked 4.0 and 5.0.

I'm no survey expert... but the threads don't really portend a positive reception to the ability pruning part of 7.0 Patch, excluding the intermittent: I don't care's; In favor's; or Re-subbing's support posts/threads.

Idk if this is Executive micro-management from EA, or the Dumbest Focus Group results, but the lack of comprehensive communication and the complete lack of a roadmap that explains to the loyal player base that STAYED SUBSCRIBED THIS ENTIRE TIME. WTHanSolo this is all about and why this is even necessary.

Like a previous poster wrote: Out of all the different development paths Bioware could have taken, and they chose this one??!!

:d_rolls_eyes:

I'd sure like to know what changed about your loyal existing players that made you think that this would be readily accepted? 'Cause I'm still a Hell No

I really do hope you are right ... I doubt seriously we'll ever see what we really needed though: a new class.

That said if for some odd reason the new system means that someone can re-run the original series without any ADDITIONAL VA ... etc added to the game .. then NO. That is nothing more than rehashing the same content .. same dialogues same characters etc .. just a different "style of killing off stuff" ... that IMO is NOT new material or new class stories.

I DO HOPE you are right (for whatever it's worth). This game needs some good news right now ... and we need it really BAD !!

Just my thoughts right now. (for better or worse).

BTW... I'm still glad to have you back !!

I hope for some really meaningful interface changes or adjustments.

The current interface is just too similar to Warcraft and is no longer "modern".

In this day and age it's common to keep the interface to a minimum and provide a lot of field of view for the game without having to touch any scaling which makes text and graphics blurry.

Character portraits in their status bars are old antique ways to bring some beauty into the interface as well as these ... yes, sorry, hideous neon blue colors that decorate the whole interface. Must not be

I'm curious to see what else is coming, looking forward to when on the PTS it will be possible for the player to assign his own abilities.

Edited by Aaryn

I hope you are right. The big issue here is the shady misdirection BW is using to advertise combat styles.

"Play as a Bounty Hunter using a Blaster Rifle like you've always wanted". When in reality you would be picking the BH storyline but playing an Operative. Even that is loose because you will only be referred to as a BH in game up to level 50 when you beat the storyline. After that and for all the end game you are referred to as Commander and such.

This wouldn't be an issue if they were honest about the feature that accounts for half of the expansions marketing. Anyone who read the two official news pages describing Combat Styles, without coming onto the forums and/or participating in the PTR, are led to believe this system is something it most certainly is not. Most players don't frequent Reddit and the forums, much less read PTR patch notes or participate in the testing.

I've had so many player tell me how excited they are to finally play their Juggernaut with a saberstaff, have their Imperial Agent at last whip out a side arm; Only for me to have to explain that the system advertised by BW is not what they intend on releasing. In fact, rather than add more to the classes like the description would have you believe, you are getting LESS class than you currently have. By splitting the class abilities on your action bar in half or thirds and making you pick between what you already have access to.

BW, by releasing this post yesterday you have shown that you intend on keep the majority of players, that don't go beyond your official news pages, in the dark in regards to your true intentions. You have doubled down with this misdirection. Just be honest. And to those who will inevitably come to defend BW's actions: Go read the two news articles advertising combat styles and watch that portion of the live stream announcement. All three describe an entirely different mechanic/feature than what will launch. Then remember that we pointed out the confusion, didn't have to as it was quite obvious, after the guardian PTR went live. And that weeks later they AGAIN market combat styles with same descriptions as the original misleading announcements. Don't defend someone who doesn't give a damn about being completely honest with you.

Well, the expansion is called Legacy of the Sith ;)

Well, the expansion is called Legacy of the Sith ;)

I have been doing my best to let people know what this system actually is and getting eviscerated at times for doing so.

I get that it isn't "cool" to bring up any criticism, god forbid you expect honesty from a company. But this is getting insane.

The announcement is really poorly explained. It is just choose story, choose adv. class of the damage type.

What happens to companions? Let's say I choose the Inq story and play as a Marauder. Will I now have Khem in my Mara loadout?

The announcement is really poorly explained. It is just choose story, choose adv. class of the damage type.

What happens to companions? Let's say I choose the Inq story and play as a Marauder. Will I now have Khem in my Mara loadout?

Why should your companions change because of loadout? Companions come from storyline i.e. your toon's origin. As light on info as the announcements have been there has been no abiguity about companions.