Solo pve(qusts) and master flashpoints. Vengeance or Immortal in DPS gear?

Sofiero

I rarely do pvp. I heard something about "spanks" (tank spec in dps gear), is tank spec Immortal in dps gear deal more damage on trash than pure DPS vengeance?

I got Shae Vizla as my DPS companion.

For Solo content Immortal in DPS or even half-DPS gear is definitely better than either DPS spec. Survivability gain is huge, and DPS loss will not be noticeable unless it's a long fight. AoE burst damage of Crushing Blow is often better than Slam spam of Vengeance. I've completed most Master chapters on a Guardian Skank tank. Daily stuff and heroics are not much slower and you literally never need to stop to heal up, even when using a DPS companion. I tank all Master FPS in a hybrid build with 2k shield, 1.7k absorb, 1213 alacrity and 2k crit. If you know your healer, you could go for full DPS stats as well, with pugs I prefer to be a bit tankier.

Just don't queue as DPS. Even with super offensive gear you are still a tank and should be playing that role. In prolonged fights even a full damage geared Immortal will be quite behind an actual DPS jugg, and you will completely mess up the tanking for the actual tank because of your super high threat.

• 1 month later...
For Solo content Immortal in DPS or even half-DPS gear is definitely better than either DPS spec. Survivability gain is huge, and DPS loss will not be noticeable unless it's a long fight. AoE burst damage of Crushing Blow is often better than Slam spam of Vengeance. I've completed most Master chapters on a Guardian Skank tank. Daily stuff and heroics are not much slower and you literally never need to stop to heal up, even when using a DPS companion. I tank all Master FPS in a hybrid build with 2k shield, 1.7k absorb, 1213 alacrity and 2k crit. If you know your healer, you could go for full DPS stats as well, with pugs I prefer to be a bit tankier.

Just don't queue as DPS. Even with super offensive gear you are still a tank and should be playing that role. In prolonged fights even a full damage geared Immortal will be quite behind an actual DPS jugg, and you will completely mess up the tanking for the actual tank because of your super high threat.

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking of tank class paladin in early World of Warcraft where they do insane aoe dps which was fun, immortal DPS might have same style.

Of course I wont queue flashpoints or ops as DPS immortal. I dont plan to ruin someones day. Mainly soloplaying.

All of my tanks wear a hybrid set:

1. Left side is standard tank stuff

2. Right side is Victor's set with dps gear (that is to say defense mods, like capped dps sets use)

This means on my Jugg I'm looking at a 38/38 shield and 20% defense chance (before procs) but 45% crit 1.4 gcd.

By doing this and with the Victor's set I chain pull, chain pull, pull more groups add more and only stop when it makes sense. Some will say 'go fearless not victors' but i'd rather not rely on enraged defense when I could pull yet another group without concern or delay.