Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

100 Scout games - experiment

Ttoilleekul
05.17.2021 , 08:37 AM | #1
How effective / viable are scouts in the current meta? Its often been said they still rule the roost in Domination, but are too easily peeled in TDM. Protorps one-shot evasion scouts. Bomber nests often make you feel like you're flying a ship made of glass. You have to engage at close range which makes pressure situations hard. Slugs can one-shot a Scout if they crit. You can't tank things like you can in a Strike. So.... are Scouts viable to main, if you wanted to? Let's find out.

The experiment - Brand new toon - 100 games - Only Scouts -Nothing else. The toon has 4 Scouts on the bar, all with different builds for different modes and situations or purposes. The builds might change during the course of the experiment. Well, one or two of them might.

I am going to record all 100 games in the experiment, and post them to my channel in a specific playlist for this experiment. So you'll get to see the good the bad and the nasty. I'll post select games here, occasionally, and at the end I will post the stats screen shots for the individual Scouts, and overall. Game titles will be listed as "Scout only - Game 1 - Map" and if necessary a single word like "stomp", "comeback" or "close" so that you have a clue of what to expect.

There is no specific target that I am aiming for here in terms of win ratio, average damage or whatever. What happens happens. I am just curious to see how it compares to my toons that use Gunships and Strikes, and traditionally do not use Scouts for certain situations.

Edit - All games will be solo, and the ships are mastered before the first game.
-Luc Nodaro
Link to My Youtube channel for GSF
Always happy to offer coaching / training for GSF.

Ttoilleekul
05.17.2021 , 01:55 PM | #2
First ten games played, and ten wins. I can't imagine it will continue this way, I just didn't have much opposition. The closest and most fun match was this one https://youtu.be/fdmpFVlcJD4 coming from behind to win it.
-Luc Nodaro

Ttoilleekul
05.19.2021 , 02:54 AM | #3
Game 11. First loss. https://youtu.be/O3ray1mviLc

Remember I am recording and posting all 100 games, no matter what. This is the "worst" match I have had yet. As soon as I am stomped on, I will post it here. It just hasn't happened yet.

13 games in, I am already starting to form some new / different opinions about flying Scouts in every match. But I will not expand on that until the end.
-Luc Nodaro

Ttoilleekul
05.20.2021 , 03:24 PM | #4
Three games today where I really didn't want to be in a Scout. Two Denons, one where my team was oblivious to which node they needed to be at and instead chased kills, the other where we couldn't hold nodes against the enemy having a beacon and swarming us. The third match was a narrow Kuat TDM loss where I felt a Strike would've been better, and could maybe have won. Two of these matches were against a two man premade, good pilots I have seen around before. i'll post one of them tomorrow when they upload, probably the Denon where my team is oblivious to nodes, and trying to save / cap nodes just does not pay off.

There was also one win, which although a narrow win, I think would've been a much easier win if I had been in GS. In the Scout I had to be careful attacking a wall of bombers and Gunships.

Games 11-20 definitely presented much more challenge than games 1-10. That said, overall win ratio is at 77%, so exclusively playing Scouts is sill working, for now.
-Luc Nodaro

Ttoilleekul
05.21.2021 , 01:54 AM | #5
One of the aforementioned matches from yesterday where I really didn't want to be in a Scout. As you can see from the end ranks, my team had the fire power to win this match, but there wasn't enough awareness on my team of which node they needed to be at. That left me often outnumbered trying to save a node against two bombers who were premade, and gunships sniping me from off node. Often when I would die, the map would show most of my team nowhere near the node we just lost. In the role of being one of the only people trying to hold a node long enough for your team to arrive, a tanky T2F build would have worked much better, especially since you can spam EMP at the node. To be fair, there is another Battle Scout on my team that pulls better numbers than me, but I question how much he was off node, or on the wrong node, because any time I went near the node under threat, I got squished. That or he got lucky in kills, since our damage output was equal.

https://youtu.be/xfnmzIpw944
-Luc Nodaro

achnaatfour
05.21.2021 , 12:49 PM | #6
gonna say it, even though you know it, " Welcome to the Solo World"

really came here to say I enjoy watching your videos, I get jealous and mad when I watch them as well. It's due that I deal with a lot of latency and some lag. One thing I don't see in your videos

Situation awareness , there is a lack of that in majority of the solo matches , I actually never been in a group, so not aware if it happens in group queue as well. That would totally suck if it did. Some times others do listen, even though they are not situational aware what's happening , and needed to go.
I doubt 60% of the players even look at the mini map

I'm pretty sure you know all these things, I just wanted to say more then " I enjoy watching your videos"

Ttoilleekul
05.21.2021 , 02:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by achnaatfour View Post
gonna say it, even though you know it, " Welcome to the Solo World"

really came here to say I enjoy watching your videos, I get jealous and mad when I watch them as well. It's due that I deal with a lot of latency and some lag. One thing I don't see in your videos

Situation awareness , there is a lack of that in majority of the solo matches , I actually never been in a group, so not aware if it happens in group queue as well. That would totally suck if it did. Some times others do listen, even though they are not situational aware what's happening , and needed to go.
I doubt 60% of the players even look at the mini map

I'm pretty sure you know all these things, I just wanted to say more then " I enjoy watching your videos"
Yeah solo queuing is a tough life. I've gotten to the point where I have several toons stable at 70%+ win ratios now, 90% solo queuing. But, you have to work so hard for it. I still stagger to think how Invis has better stats than that! As a high end solo queuer, you need to have tremendous map awareness, damage efficiency, and know how best to serve your team at any one moment.

Glad you like the videos. If it helps in any way, I've done my job.
-Luc Nodaro

Ttoilleekul
05.23.2021 , 12:20 PM | #8
Was quite lucky today I think with games 29-37. I picked up a cold and it effected my concentration. I certainly wasn't feeling at my best, but somehow still managed 7 wins from 9 games.

I said I would post the first stomp loss when it happens, and well, it hasn't yet. Game 35 was the closest to a stomp loss I've had so far. Ended 27-50 against. For me, a true stomp is 20-50 or worse. Particularly when it gets down as low as 15-50 or worse, you really feel the difference in the tone of the match. (As I said in another thread, an especially good pilot will experience less stomp losses - and 37 games without one is proving that) Game 35 was still a heavy loss though, and an interesting test - https://youtu.be/_kHWkK4u4TY

If and when I get a real stomp in this scout experiment, again, I will post it here.
-Luc Nodaro

Osche
05.25.2021 , 07:39 AM | #9
Could you make a post or a video where you show your builds? I liked your videos so far but I am interested in your component selections. Thanks in advance!

Ttoilleekul
05.25.2021 , 08:59 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Osche View Post
Could you make a post or a video where you show your builds? I liked your videos so far but I am interested in your component selections. Thanks in advance!
Hi, I have already done so. Here you are - https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=993310
Those ships and builds are my normal loud outs, I've only listed the five ships I use most commonly for now, so three of the builds in this experiment are not on there. But I'll add other ships to the build list in time.
-Luc Nodaro