Update the Graphics

ReavenDarkcloud

Look, I know many see this as a dead or dying game. However, with the new investment Disney is making into the Star Wars franchise I think now is a great time to refresh the graphics to today's standards. I know that might be asking far more than would be given but it might just help get people to give the game another try. People right now are disenfranchised with World of Warcraft and so players are looking for other adventures.

I personally feel that this game is an amazing game and could be made better if people were to invest in it.

Look, I know many see this as a dead or dying game. However, with the new investment Disney is making into the Star Wars franchise I think now is a great time to refresh the graphics to today's standards. I know that might be asking far more than would be given but it might just help get people to give the game another try. People right now are disenfranchised with World of Warcraft and so players are looking for other adventures.

I personally feel that this game is an amazing game and could be made better if people were to invest in it.

Perhaps you should define what "today's standards" means. I mention this since it seems like "pixel art retro" is the new way forward, based on the number of (admittedly lame-looking) games I see on my Steam Discovery Queue(1) these days that seem to make a virtue of looking like they are running on a 320x200 four-colour CGA screen from 1982.

(1) Perhaps I'm into "sc****** the bottom of the barrel" mode, since I've apparently looked at enough queues to have looked at more than 6000 games that way. 99% of them looked like (...).

That's exactly the point. Fewer people want to play it because of those graphics. You may think that it's of no consequence and therefore does not affect others. But few people want to pay 10+ dollars a month on a game that has limited graphics.

You've connected dots which are your burden to prove such dots exist, in other words, this is conjecture. Opinion.

If Bioware suspected that the long-term health of the game mandated a graphical update above all else, it'd be done already.

As it is, if these forums are to be believed, what people clamor for is content. Eye candy is nice, but a distant second at best to content, and this is an opinion from someone who's asked for profound improvements in the game's graphics for years.

I can say with equal certainty as yourself that fewer people want to play SWTOR for a lack of new content.

A stronger argument to make, if the end goal is attracting new players as your argument suggests a graphical update would facilitate, is advertising. God's gift to graphical updates to this game means absolutely freaking zero if people don't know the game exists, or haven't had it refreshed in their minds in the last half decade how the game fares.

There are so many avenues to get the word out, but Bioware avails itself only of its own social media, and preaching to the converted does not new converts make. If the goal is new players, new players need to know about the game. All the features, gimmicks, graphics, and whats-its in the game don't mean jack if people don't know the game's out there.

I'm not countering you that the game could do with a graphical update. It most definitely could.

I'm saying your supporting argument that such an update would bring in new players is a ploy often stated by those demanding features or upgrades, oh, but it'll bring in new players. First thing people say.

No.

New, substantial content will bring in previous players. Advertising will bring in new players.

Edited by xordevoreaux

What I mean by what I said is that I feel like the graphics would be better if they were brought up to World of Warcraft's standards. If we look at what our characters wear most of it looks like it came straight out of the early 2000s.

Hopefully you are not talking about the art style of WoW. I can't stand that art style. Which is one of the reasons I only played the game for a year (and not even at the beginning, I played when Mists of Pandaria released). Like, if they changed to that style I would consider it being brought *down* to WoW standards, not up. And I would quit.

Hopefully you are not talking about the art style of WoW. I can't stand that art style. Which is one of the reasons I only played the game for a year (and not even at the beginning, I played when Mists of Pandaria released). Like, if they changed to that style I would consider it being brought *down* to WoW standards, not up. And I would quit.

I would hope the graphics would go more the direction of Skyrim SE or Unreal 5.

• 3 weeks later...
The game would really benefit from an AI upscaling pass, if nothing else. The less realistic, more cartoonish art style has done a lot of heavy lifting to keep the game from dating as fast as it might have otherwise, but I think it has done all it can by now. It's a visual medium, and it helps to look on par with the other items on the shelf.