R4 Anomaly Needs a Nerf

I doubt anyone listens to this anymore, and this is gonna only attract elitist players to disagree with me. But the difficulty of the operation is ridiculous.

Please understand, I am saying this as a person who is a NiM raider. And as a person who did clear the fight fully.

Having said that, this "SM" is harder than most HMs in your game. 90% of the playerbase have no hopes of completing it. The final burn requires 20k+ dps from everyone, while the overwhelming damage from adds requires HM level of healing. Which can be fine. But then you put it in Group Finder? And you add a Story mission in the companion alerts, expecting people who do 9 to 12k at BEST, to finish it?

There is a disconnect here somewhere. I don't mind the fight being difficult, I love mechanically intensive encounters. But don't go and call it storymode then. You just nerfed all SM Ops to be smooth as butter. As it should be, because it is supposed to be casual content. R4 is not. It is not groupfindable. So pick one. Either this is Hardmare content, and it should be treated accordingly, or it should be made much easier, because you want people to be able to use Group Finder to complete it and just do it as part of the story.

This feels like you don't know your playerbase, and are catering to 1%ers.

• Like 2

I agree, having to do 123k dps to kill a SM boss between 4 dps and tanks is crazy. Much less a 8-10 minute fight for a sm. DF you can complete the entire ops in 12 minutes. It’s just way off. I love harder content. I think the first three bosses are not to far off. The last boss is definitely in need of the piñata service from the nerf bar wielding devs.

I doubt anyone listens to this anymore, and this is gonna only attract elitist players to disagree with me. But the difficulty of the operation is ridiculous.

Please understand, I am saying this as a person who is a NiM raider. And as a person who did clear the fight fully.

Having said that, this "SM" is harder than most HMs in your game. 90% of the playerbase have no hopes of completing it. The final burn requires 20k+ dps from everyone, while the overwhelming damage from adds requires HM level of healing. Which can be fine. But then you put it in Group Finder? And you add a Story mission in the companion alerts, expecting people who do 9 to 12k at BEST, to finish it?

There is a disconnect here somewhere. I don't mind the fight being difficult, I love mechanically intensive encounters. But don't go and call it storymode then. You just nerfed all SM Ops to be smooth as butter. As it should be, because it is supposed to be casual content. R4 is not. It is not groupfindable. So pick one. Either this is Hardmare content, and it should be treated accordingly, or it should be made much easier, because you want people to be able to use Group Finder to complete it and just do it as part of the story.

This feels like you don't know your playerbase, and are catering to 1%ers.

I agree. I have been playing this game since launch and Lady Dominique is definitely the hardest boss to beat at release in SM. I believe that a large majority of your players should be able to clear SM ops. Right now I don't see how a majority of players can clear this. The first three bosses are okay. It is Lady Dominique that needs a nerf. The thing is that R4 actually has a good story to it and a lot of people will want to do it. Especially those that play the game just for the story and were fans of the original KOTOR games which this story draws from. It is too bac that at least as of right now most of those players won't be able to enjoy it. I hope this gets fixed before players decide to leave over it because they think the developers are trying to make content that most of the player base can't do on purpose.

Agreed. It's especially hard for story players looking to get story content done. It also doesn't help that there's no bolster in this operation. You have a 320 set and you're playing the game fairly optimally. You get yourself into a group and you think "Alright, this should be fine. It's SM."

That's not the case. Not only do you find yourself actually undergeared, but you're stepping into an operation with an intensity the likes of which you are far from used to or fit to enter in your current state while the operation is labelled "Story". And as a result, this entire operation on SM becomes the equivalent of HM.

I myself am a former raider who used to do HM and Nim content back in the day and I'll tell you this; Not a single SM operation has ever been this difficult since I came back to the game 2 years ago after having been away for around a year. Having really hectic and complicated boss mechanics as well as major DPS checks, R-4 SM's difficulty is WAY beyond what an SM op should be like.

Edited by Enskojare

I completely concur with the OP.

This "storymode" operation is absolutely not puggable and shouldn't be in groupfinder in its current state. I can imagine it being soul-crushingly difficult for someone hoping to join a fleet pug and an absolute deterrent for many people that were perhaps looking to get into raiding, maybe initially attracted to the operation due to story.

We need MORE people partaking in operations, not fewer. More raiders not only means a substantially larger pool of raiders to join our teams, but also more SUBS for this game.

You know there is a big issue when clearing R-4 on SM almost feels as satisfying as your first Revan HM kill. LOL

When you clear a SM and think to yourself why didn't I get a title for that, says a lot about how bad an op is. I just feel bad for the people who post LFG and link the story mission for it, because i know they are story players and that they don't have a chance of completing it. That it basically takes a NiM team to clear it currently is just messed up.

It needs the Nerf Bat hitting a Home Run.

going to piggyback on a lot of the complaints here about SM and also say that the current state of IP-CPT on VM is absurd and completely unacceptable, all of our groups are either running 5 dps 3 heal or 6 dps 2 heal just to do the fight comfortably and on top of that, the next 3 fights are a cakewalk compared to it. Hell, even the last boss has a more forgiving dps check than this thing. I don't get how this fight is supposed to offer any amount of accessibility to the raid on VM when every fight after it is considerably more forgiving.

going to piggyback on a lot of the complaints here about SM and also say that the current state of IP-CPT on VM is absurd and completely unacceptable, all of our groups are either running 5 dps 3 heal or 6 dps 2 heal just to do the fight comfortably and on top of that, the next 3 fights are a cakewalk compared to it. Hell, even the last boss has a more forgiving dps check than this thing. I don't get how this fight is supposed to offer any amount of accessibility to the raid on VM when every fight after it is considerably more forgiving.

I agree, except the Issue is there's just nothing at all a Tank can do in the entire fight, even if the Burn in the End didn't require 5-6 DPS bringing a Tank would always be wrong.

clicking the Consoles can be done by DPS/Heal just as easily as by a Tank, killing the Adds makes the Job easier for the Healers, having a Bigger HP pool to tank the Adds simply doesn't matter.

certainly it would be nice if Tanks without DPS Gear didn't have to be benched for the Fight, but it's either that or completely trivializing the Fight, there's just no way Tanks could ever be anything except dead weights for most of the Fight unless they rework when the adds are present (they need to be permanent) / make the boss do Tank Damage.

I do not like the new Operations. The older ones were superior, in my opinion, though there were a few aspects of the new ones which were enjoyable. My issue is not the difficulty; it's going in with a seasoned group of veterans in fully-optimized gear yet still suddenly wiping for no apparent reason. It's not fun, nor is it challenging; it's boring and stupid.

Karagga's Palace and Eternity Vault remain as the epitome of quality raid design.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

It's almost like the developers forgot what "story mode" means. It's there so casual players can experience the encounter and the attached story. Got to the last fight yesterday but damn. The difficultly of story mode ought to be veteran mode.

I'm medium raider. Not casual not veteran, but did every ops few times, know what have to do and how and I learn quickly.

In new operation I was able to reach final boss and go down to 4% of hp and wipe. So I need only final boss to kill to finish it. I tried with few different groups, even sometimes with few people who did it already and still nothing.

So ye, still trying to find good group to do it, but nerf of final boss would be nice as rest were quite easy honestly.

Problem is, how long it'll take for them to nerf it?

I agree with the OP, but would like to extend the request.

I'm not Fred Astaire. I'm not even Ginger Rogers. There's an awful lot of dancing going on avoiding fire, laser walls, red circles on the ground in R4.

In story mode, consider changing the pacing of those mechanics for people whose performance ceiling is pretty much at the story mode level, people who can't cha-cha backward in high heels. At least not that fast, anyway.

I'm medium raider. Not casual not veteran, but did every ops few times, know what have to do and how and I learn quickly.

While I agree with this the OP being nerfed, not to the extend... well required. The problem is that if your forum name is the same as your character name, which I am pretty sure it is, then I have parses with you in them and you were... underperforming. I am not saying you have to be good to clear a SM raid, I am just saying that since you complained about groups and you said that "you know what to do" etc. etc. maybe look at your own stuff before saying that you haven't yet found a group good enough, when in the parses I have 4 people did 18k to 29k DPS (obviously looking at watchdog since first boss does neither favor your class or the fact you were clicking the buttons) and you were at...9k to 10k DPS. Again, I mean no offense, SM should be easy - but you made it sound like you only had bad teams. Yes, we would've completed the raid no problems, no questions, you weren't the problem (no pointing fingers but), the tank was.

Our NiM group had some hiccups on SM, and the checks were real. We push about 27-31K DPS per DPS, About 30-35K EHPS, and the tanks uh... tanking. First fight of this on SM was a huge cluster, eventually we got through with it. The Watchdog is what tore some of us apart. We were a melee heavy group, some of us had to swap to RDPS, even then it was kind of a mess. We got that, third boss was a joke, aside from my sentinel *** dying from being a sentinel. Last fight I some what enjoyed the most, even though I despise the non stop pushbacks. We finally took her down after 42 pulls. This is just SM to remind you. When we got into HM, the first boss is tearing us a new one at first phase. 12 pulls, tried with another group since they were looking for DPS. Same results but with slight progress on what we are learning. Is this operation pug friendly? No. It reminds me of very early SWTOR days, which was fun, but with less balance and compatibility issues. A little bit of difficulty in SM is fine, a LOT of bit of difficulty is not okay in SM. I can see this being completely clearable if we were full 332 or 334, but the stat increase between that and full 330 with 300 IR augments isn't too much. I believe this can be cleared but there clearly needs to be some adjustments to assist. Not asking for this to be dumbed down like all the previous operations, just asking for it be slightly balanced.

The problem is that if your forum name is the same as your character name, which I am pretty sure it is, then I have parses with you in them and you were...

I'm sorry, I'm relatively new here, but isn't naming and shaming against the forums TOS?

I'm sorry, I'm relatively new here, but isn't naming and shaming against the forums TOS?

I made it clear I am not shaming him, or blaming him. I was just curious since the names are the same. But his comment made it clear it's not him so I didn't do any of it. Nevermind I could've made it up since I didn't include any screenshots because that would've been against the ToS.

On the contrary, most probably it's me.

I thought I wrote reply clearly indicating it's me. Or maybe there is someone else named like me.

And I don't think there is need to be like that.

9k is a joke not a dmg.

It means I suck as hell, but still. I want to do this ops for story.

Let's try to keep this forum on topic please. I hope this thread get's dev's attention because most casual SM players do need a nerf for this op. Even more so when it has a decent little story. I think almost all player should be able to complete SM ops. Otherwise you will lose a lot of players. It should not be the goal of devs to gear SM or even Hm ops to 5-10% of players. Thank you for all of your contributions so far.

I agree.

As mode says "story mode" so it should be made completable for "casual" players more or less, not "don't do nothing and win" but you do not have to be veteran or something to finish it.

You want story? Here you are, if you want challenge go for Veteran and Nightmare modes.

Simple

I don't think it needs a nerf.

Like half of the mechanics can be directly ignored. Yes, some are punishing, if you - for example - push the whole group from the Lady, then yea, you probably fail the dps check. Maybe start noticing the evil circles.

IMO it's actually bad that other SM operations tought people they can ignore many mechanics, so they just ignore them.

Should be the dps/healing checks be lowered? I wouldn't say so, IMO they're not that big, but OK, for SM they can lower Lady by a little to give SM players more chances. IMO people are focusing more on numbers and less on the fact, that you do less numbers if you fail the mechanics.

Should it be nerfed? No.

Should it be in the group finder? Yes, Gods are there too.

I don't think it needs a nerf.

Like half of the mechanics can be directly ignored. Yes, some are punishing, if you - for example - push the whole group from the Lady, then yea, you probably fail the dps check. Maybe start noticing the evil circles.

IMO it's actually bad that other SM operations tought people they can ignore many mechanics, so they just ignore them.

Should be the dps/healing checks be lowered? I wouldn't say so, IMO they're not that big, but OK, for SM they can lower Lady by a little to give SM players more chances. IMO people are focusing more on numbers and less on the fact, that you do less numbers if you fail the mechanics.

Should it be nerfed? No.

Should it be in the group finder? Yes, Gods are there too.

People in gf don’t do gods or nop. At least not prior to this patch. Gf isn’t even used as a gf, it’s just for pre made pugs to get more coms.

SM is meant to be easily passed by pugs. Lady Dom is not.

Simple nerd would be to lower the number of knock backs on recursive blast to two people. It still teaches the mechanic but it doesn’t kill the group.

B. Monstrosities shouldn’t spawn in SM. They can be a hm mechanic. This would easily teach pugs the mechanics without checks that eliminate The ability to carry bads.

Before R4 came out, the SM design was set up so that just about anyone could do it. The design of R4 violated that design philosophy. Were SMs easy? Absolutely. That was the entire intention to give maximum accessibility to the vast majority of the player base.

In creating R4 SM, they created encounters that the majority of people cannot defeat. Most of the player base are not raiders. They are casuals, RPers, and solo/story players. Previous to this, they were still carriable if need be. No one can be easily carried through R4 SM unless the rest of the group is extremely proficient.

I have yet to hear about a single true PUG group complete the op. Very few even beat the first boss, much less Lady D. To make matters worse, even after a week, I've not heard of anyone outside of a NiM or Hardmare team clearing the op. I have heard of a few PUGs getting to the last boss, but not many. And of course, they did not beat it.

As for the Lady D fight itself, most of it is actually fairly straightforward. The real fight doesn't really start until the burn. That's the part that overwhelms people. For a SM, it should not be as difficult as it is. Between the adds and the knockback, things could be going fine, but the next moment, they are not.

SM should not be designed for dedicated raiders. As previously mentioned, there are a lot of people that want to do it for their story quest, which was given as an alliance alert of all things, which means there will be a lot of true story mode players that want to do it just to see the cut scenes. As things are, they'll never be able to see it.

To those of you who say it's fine as it is, I propose a challenge to you. Go form a random fleet PUG, not some pug via discord. Take 7 other true SM randoms in to R4 and see how hard it is to complete it, if you can. The odds of a successful run under those conditions are extremely low I would suspect.