Flash Pazaak

Amrekel

Since May 2021, I have been hosting in-game Pazaak tournaments. I came up with a variant of the game that is intended to be quicker so that guilds that wish to introduce Pazaak to their guilds can have a quick and abbreviated way to do so. I call it "Flash Pazaak" because it is quicker - I have completed 16-player tournaments with this method in less than an hour.

For the way we play Pazaak in the tournament, visit this forum titled "Pazaak Basics": https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=993430

The idea behind Flash Pazaak is to complete games much quicker and give players experience with the mechanics and strategies to play Pazaak. Below I will provide a game dialog across two rounds and then provide a synopsis of the differences between Flash Pazaak and the tournament style of Pazaak you would see if you join the big tournaments.

SET-UP: Both players determine their side decks which consists of TWO cards.

The FIRST CARD will be decided via the RANDOM GENERATION method, which requires two random rolls. The first roll is a "/roll 3" for the card type, with a result of 1 indicating it will be a positive (+) card, a result of 2 indicating that it will be a negative (-) card, and a result of 3 indicating that it will be a hybrid (±) card. The second roll is a "/roll 6" for the number on the card (i.e. a result of 5 will mean the number on the card is 5).

The SECOND CARD will be decided using the LIMITED CHOICE method, which allows the player to choose their card from limited options. These limited options are strictly positive (+) and negative (-) cards, with no option to choose a hybrid (±) card.

STARTING THE ROUNDS: To decide which player will go first, both players do a /roll 100, with the higher roll going first in the first round, and then whoever starts the round will alternate in the rounds thereafter if necessary (i.e. if Player 1 starts Round 1, then Player 2 will start Round 2, etc.).

PLAYING ROUNDS: The process for playing the rounds is exactly the same as in the tournament style. Each player starts a round with a 'draw' using via a "/roll 10". After the draw, the player faces two choices: 1) to play or not play a card from their side deck, and 2) whether to "end turn" (keep receiving draws) or to "stand" (finalize their total). Players win rounds by getting a total that is closer to 20 than their opponent without going over. If a player ends a turn with a total of 21 or higher, then they "bust" and automatically lose that round (and thus the match). Tied rounds do not count as a win for either player - the players would simply play a new round.

SAMPLE GAME DIALOG:

PLAYER ONE

PLAYER TWO

Card One: /roll 3 = 2 (negative card), /roll 6 = 1, thus card is a -1

Card One: /roll 3 = 3 (hybrid card), /roll 6 = 5, thus card is a ±5

For Card Two, Player One chooses to have a +5

For Card Two, Player Two chooses to have a +1

Thus Player One's side deck consists of these two cards: -1, +5

and Player Two's side deck consists of these two cards: ±5, +1

Both players now do a /roll 100 for who will go first:

PLAYER ONE: /roll 100 = 47

PLAYER TWO: /roll 100 = 21

Player One's roll was higher, and thus Player One will start the first round.

ROUND ONE

Player One: /roll 10 = 3

Player One: TOTAL: 3 - end turn

Player Two: /roll 10 = 8

Player Two: TOTAL: 8 - end turn

Player One: /roll 10 = 9

Player One: TOTAL: 12 - end turn

Player Two: /roll 10 = 7

Player Two: TOTAL: 15 - play ±5 as +5 - NEW TOTAL: 20 - stand

Player One: /roll 10 = 8

Player One: TOTAL: 20 - stand

Round is tied, therefore the players begin a new round, with Player Two now starting.

Player Two: /roll 10 = 3

Player Two: TOTAL: 3 - end turn

Player One: /roll 10 = 1

Player One: TOTAL: 1 - end turn

Player Two: /roll 10 = 7

Player Two: TOTAL: 10 - end turn

Player One: /roll 10 = 4

Player One: TOTAL: 5 - end turn

Player Two: /roll 10 = 8

Player Two: TOTAL: 18 - play +1 - NEW TOTAL: 19 - stand

Player One: /roll 10 = 6

Player One: TOTAL: 11 - end turn

Player One: /roll 10 = 7

Player One: TOTAL: 18 - end turn

Player One: /roll 10 = 4

Player One: TOTAL: 22 - end turn

Player One busts, and Player Two wins the round and thus the match.

The rules are practically the same for Flash Pazaak as the tournament style, but as it is quicker, here are the main differences:

1) in the set-up for the game, the players will only be allowed 2 cards (as opposed to the 4 allowed in the tournaments). The first card will be decided via Random Generation and the second card will be chosen according to Limited Choice restrictions

2) instead of winning three rounds to win the match, a competitor must simply win one round to win the match.