Is augmented 326 PvP gear strong enough to be competitive in Ranked Warzones?

Loadsamonie

Correction, Tank stats prior to a specific patch did not work in PvP. Defense did not work against Yellow damage, and Shield did not work against Crits.

Now they do.

Yes, in 5.9.3 BioWare slightly changed the way tanking works so that critical hits can be shielded. This does not change how tank gearing works in pvp for a couple of very complicated reasons.

1) Most of the time with a good/average healer, you don't need tank gear to live. So better to put the stats into damage.

2) The meta is currently a cleave meta which rewards whoever puts out the most initial pressure.

3) Internal and elemental damage attacks, which make up the most common type of damage, cannot be shielded.

These are very simplified explanations of very complicated concepts.... but

Gear does not matter as much as skill. You should be much more worried about learning to guardswap than about learning to gear.

You can find all this information and guides yourself if you do a quick google search. There's even a tanking guide stickied at the top of these pvp forums that answers literally all of these questions.

Edited by septru

Gear does not matter as much as skill. You should be much more worried about learning to guardswap than about learning to gear.

By this logic, shouldn't a Full Tank with no DPS gear still be able to do just fine in warzones, assuming they know how to manage DCD's and guard swap?

Well, in any case, I don't really run any FP's or Operations, so as long as I can still solo planetary heroics and tank World Bosses in full DPS gear, I have no problem going that route.

Edited by Loadsamonie

By this logic, shouldn't a Full Tank with no DPS gear still be able to do just fine in warzones, assuming they know how to manage DCD's and guard swap?

In regular warzones? You don't need any gear. You can run naked with just a gun and you'd be better than 99% of other players.

Edited by septru

In regular warzones? You don't need any gear. You can run naked with just a gun and you'd be better than 99% of other players.

I do want to start playing Ranked at some point, once I'm fully geared and find a guild that I can queue with.

I do want to start playing Ranked at some point, once I'm fully geared and find a guild that I can queue with.

Highly recommend starting ranked as a dps... tanking is the most difficult role to learn. It's also very unforgiving. Your team will probably rage at you if you don't know what you are doing because they rely on you for support. And there's no way to learn how to properly tank in regs.

Edited by septru

• 3 weeks later...