Luc Nodaro GSF video highlights

If I hadn't watched this I would never believe a person could survive that kind of pressure in a GS. I think you were a couple minutes in before you were even able to use your rail gun. Also at least 2 blaster kills. In a gunship. 0 deaths. Nicely done!
If you want to know what too much pressure in a Gunship is, pay attention to any video where I switch out of the GS into something else. The guy coming after me at the start was using a Tier 1 Fighter with Piledriver / Protons. That's a really easy build to evade in a GS. Stay close to him and LoS. He can't do anything close up in that ship. If he engages in a turn fight he loses to a talented GS with BLC. The big problem was my team were not peeling him, and I had a Scout on me too. If that Scout had been any good I would have switched ships, because - skill being equal - Scouts beat gunships every time once they are up close. Once those two guys gave up, it was "just" a matter of good positioning and a little strafing to start dealing out some good damage.

The zero deaths was helped by having a bomber nest with repairs. Otherwise there would have been at least one death to chip damage.

Edit - This is why when I teach I prefer people to learn Gunships last. If they learn melee combat (turn fighting) and evasive flying in Strikes first, and Scouts second, then that transfers to Gunships naturally, and they are not an easy kill, like most GS pilots are. They will naturally know how to turn that Gunship and use laser cannons. And since sniping is the easy bit, that mostly leaves me just having to teach strafing. And once you can strafe in a GS, that will transfer back to your Strike and Scout play, and you will be doing things in Strikes and Scouts you didn't realize was possible until you flew GS.

This is why people who only fly one class and one ship are missing out. Because Scouts help your Gunship play, and Gunships help your Scout play. It all interlinks. I know someone no longer needs any teaching from me, when they start talking about compound strafing in a Scout on a node.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, so in direct relation to my How to Win thread, I happen to have a perfect example of the things I talk about.

This was a game from last night. I lost, but it was winnable. Full disclosure, this is a high kill count game. But the intention is not to brag, its to show you why I lost and what I could have done differently.

I end up with a Scoreline of 34-2-4-100k. Most people are going to look at that scoreline, in a match that ended 42-50, and say, you did all you could. That's just matchmaker...... right? Wrong. This is a perfect example of the mentality I am talking about. I let my foot off the gas at the start. It looked early on like the match was going to be a walkover. So I went into cruise mode. You can visibly see the point where I start to work faster, to work harder, because I realize the match is not going the way it looked to be going. There is also one self destruct. If I had played the whole game at 100%, rather than only three quarters of it, and if I hadn't destructed, I am confident I could have snatched the win here. It would have ended up being 40 kills to do it, but that's the difference with people who can net 80% win ratios. They look at a match like this and still blame themselves for the loss. They don't accept that matchmaker and luck were not on their side. Then they correct what they saw, for the next time the same situation arises.