Behind-The-Scenes Look at SWTOR Cutscenes

AshleyRuhl

• Dev Post

Hello everyone!

I'm Ashley, I'm the Lead Cinematic Designer on SWTOR. I'm so grateful that y'all are here celebrating TEN YEARS (holy cow) of SWTOR with us, and I feel blessed that this is a story we are still building together.

Bringing the Star Wars universe to life in a way that I can share with all of you is truly a privilege. One of the best parts of my job is crafting meaningful moments with our characters, surpassed only by the joy I feel seeing all of your reactions and experiences with our stories. With that, I'm excited to present y'all with a "behind-the-scenes" look at how we build cutscenes in SWTOR.

Enjoy!

Edited by CommunityTeam

I'm so grateful that y'all are here celebrating TEN YEARS (holy cow) of SWTOR with us

...And here I thought that the five+ years I've been playing seemed like a lifetime.

I believe there is magic when your own unique character is the star of a movie. Seeing your character, who is a part of yourself, portrayed as the hero can change your life, because those are the moments that you can see those qualities in yourself.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. The impressions this game left on me ...made it feel like a second life.

While my interest in SWTOR wavers from time to time, it'll always be number one.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Hello everyone!

I'm Ashley, I'm the Lead Cinematic Designer on SWTOR. I'm so grateful that y'all are here celebrating TEN YEARS (holy cow) of SWTOR with us, and I feel blessed that this is a story we are still building together.

Bringing the Star Wars universe to life in a way that I can share with all of you is truly a privilege. One of the best parts of my job is crafting meaningful moments with our characters, surpassed only by the joy I feel seeing all of your reactions and experiences with our stories. With that, I'm excited to present y'all with a "behind-the-scenes" look at how we build cutscenes in SWTOR.

Cool article and thx for posting it, Ashley.... Particularly since tbh we rarely ever get to see much behind-the-scenes from BioWare anymore. I blame EA of course, since i'm guessing they have to grant approval first.

I personally always enjoy re-watching all of these from time to time---> https://www.swtor.com/info/media (usually during 'extended patch day maintenance' , since it keeps me from trolling forums :D )

Anyways, couple questions if i may: First, did you by chance also get to work with the amazing 'Blur Studios' at all? (for KOTFE/KOTET movies & chapter cut-scenes) --- And secondly, any idea why that amazing new pre-game (post launcher) cinematic of Satele vs. Malgus in lightsaber lock psuedo logo sequence only plays the very 1st time after SWTOR install? (but never plays again subsequently)

thanks again, regards, Nee :sy_title:

p.s. Third question: Obviously it was decided (by whomever) that a massive combat-revamp was "necessary" , but for a more artistic developer like yourself i'm wondering if perhaps we might get a bit more STORY (and therefore cinematics & cut-scenes) to help make this *10th Anniversary* of SWTOR that much more appropriate & enjoyable?

---------

.....made it feel like a second life.

I've been here since 2011 (registered 2008) so of course i think SWTOR is truly unique & superb (albeit flawed) ....however....for me personally the only game that really immersed into 'second life' mode for me was

. :sy_galaxy: (aka, theme-park vs. sandbox eternal debate :cool: ) Edited by Nee-Elder
i wish EA would let y'all focus more on STORY & CONTENT (and sandbox elements) ...but oh well

Love the cutscenes, i record them to be able to rewatch my characters' adventures whenever i want, espcially since to replay we have to create a new character.

Love the romance scenes as well, the ones with Theron in particular who, imo, have the most variety of interactions between Theron and his lover (a hug here, a kiss on the cheek there, a tender kiss on the lips...)

My only complaint is about the fights, and the beginings / endings of fight scenes when the type of weapon is not used properly, especially for Force Users (it can make sense for NFU classes to use a pistol instead of a rifle / cannon, though being able to customise said pistol would be great), but it's very immersion breaking when a Sentinel / Maraudeur uses only one of their lightsabers while the second stay on their hip, and even more so for Shadows / Assassins as they tend to cut off their own legs or impale themselves with the second blade of their weapon, which honestly looks ridiculous.

Hello everyone!

Enjoy!

Thank you for your hard work, and thanks for sharing this 'behind the scenes' - Cheers :d_angelic:

Heh...

...but we could, however, move all of space around the ship.

...what is old is new again: that's how ILM filmed much of the Death Star battle in A New Hope, all the way back in '77. They moved the camera (and other models, if there were more than one) around the focus model in order to reduce motion blur in the final shot.

Can't remember which documentary I watched that in...

Cutscenes are one of my favorite parts of any game, usually second to character creation. If I had one criticism, it would be that the camera doesn't show my character from the front enough, especially for weapons-drawn or action poses/scenes. I take a lot of screenshots, and sometimes the camera angle changes before I can get the shot. When available, I have been known to start a conversation over (and over), so I can try again. :p

• 2 weeks later...