State of Deception

Monterone

What is the current state is what I'm hoping to find out.

I'm not married to this spec but it has, over the years, been one of my favorites. I've played it under a few names, more recently as Saminette and Silk, and back closer to launch as Pliva or Absinthe.

Anyways, going to try to enjoy this game again for a while and hope to see good things in the next big patch... so... is deception worth it?

I'm posting here in general class section as I don't want to hear from just sins, who will of course always say things could be better. What are the opinions of those that main other classes and specs? Does Deception scare you? Is a pain to deal with? For the Deception players, does it feel balanced? Do you get enjoyment out of it still?

Oh, I PvP almost exclusively, so my questions all relate to PvP encounters and situations. Thanks folks.

Deception is kind of "meh" right now. Still a difficult class to deal with 1v1 in the right hands due to a high amount of control, but you'll find your damage output and burst a bit underwhelming. At least, that's been my experience with it. If you enjoy the play style it can still be fun to play, though. So don't let me dissuade you if that's the case.

Thanks for the reply... as I said, I am not married to it and I will play what is more competitive since I PvP. No point PvPing if you can't do it at the top level, right?

So, as I have played and learned to love all other classes and trees, I will go to something else if deception is underwhelming. Basically, Deception used to be at a level where a top notch, cream of the crop player could out-dps a well played dot-spread class... or it used to be. A very best deception player could out-dps a very well played Madness or Virulence in a warzone. Not every game, but often enough.

Can this still happen? Control aside, which a sin always had, is the dps on par?

Should I just do Concealment instead? Is that a better choice or are they in the same place?

Edited by Monterone

Deception is barely worth it now and will not be worth it in 6.0.

We have been systematically neutered for the last couple years plus. Sentinels are superior to us (and actually have a combat cloak out that works in truly taking you out of combat, although obviously only for a limited time). The game is skewed to ranged anyway. We are in a bad state having to be within 4 meters for most of our stuff, while being constantly knocked back, slowed, rooted, etc. We have one closing ability that probably won't work right when you use it (sure glad we had the fix to it being putting on a partial GCD that didn't fix it and totally screws up the rotation). I could go on and on but I won't.

Anyway, the changes coming from 6.0 will not fix what's wrong and other classes will actually get more powerful compared to us. I'm very unhappy with the state of the class now, and disheartened about the future state of it.

Edited by Kirtastropohe

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah, I've been doing more research on it and it seems like the spec to put on hold until it gets fixed.

Someone posted a link to Parsely in another post so I've been looking at the spreadsheets. You would think the burst damage specs would do better on the lower health dummies, at the very least, but I can see what you guys are saying. Deception can't keep up on dps on any dummy, and it does not do well at its primary purpose either - burst.

Concealment, on the other hand, scores near the top on a few different health dummies. And I used to play both, so easy choice.

Thanks guys. :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the reply... as I said, I am not married to it and I will play what is more competitive since I PvP. No point PvPing if you can't do it at the top level, right?

So, as I have played and learned to love all other classes and trees, I will go to something else if deception is underwhelming. Basically, Deception used to be at a level where a top notch, cream of the crop player could out-dps a well played dot-spread class... or it used to be. A very best deception player could out-dps a very well played Madness or Virulence in a warzone. Not every game, but often enough.

Can this still happen? Control aside, which a sin always had, is the dps on par?

Should I just do Concealment instead? Is that a better choice or are they in the same place?

I'm a returning PVPer... really sucks to read this. Sin is my favorite spec. Does 6.0 hold any changes that could change the Sin for the better?

• 4 weeks later...

I have been playing darkness longer than I thought this game would Exist. I played both dps back and from launch until 2012.

Darkness is the only tank that makes you pay attention. You can't even get buzzed or its it's a wipe. Play super tight and a Sin is the best tanks in the game because of my defenses

PLEASE!!!!!! IS THERE ANY PARSE WITH THE NEW GEAR AND TAC'S THAT PUTS A DPS SIN AT LEAST AT STORY. I'll get my NIN on who I decide is my regular.

I'm not a run-a-rounder like you said. Phase walk Is hot once every 120 sec

Is a merc number 2 non-run around to sniper, then merc has spot heals?

Edited by Letsjet
Your comment above

Tell this to people who got triple autocrit Mauled on PTS. Sin's Burst on PTS was nuts. Double Cloak allows them to drop in, deliver huge burst and drop out very often. You clearly didn't test all the tacticals and set bonuses available to you. Sins are not supposed to face tank anyone for long, they have always meant to be a CC-heavy, burst-heavy glass cannon. And so far it's looking like in 6.0 they'll be performing this role even way too well.

I'm sure they'll tone sins down for the launch of 6.0, and I never actually personally tested it myself as I'm just coming back to the game after a few months off but there is this^