Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[TFA Spoilers] coexistence of SWTOR canon and Disney canon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
[TFA Spoilers] coexistence of SWTOR canon and Disney canon

Eric_Skynwalker
02.04.2016 , 09:56 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by MrGoldsilver View Post
Right now there is two different "universes"

Universe 1 is the "official Canon" or what I like to call the Disneyverse. It contains the 6 origional Star Wars movies, the new movie, SW:TCW, Rebels, and any book published after April 2014.

Universe 2 is the "Legends" universe, which is everything that was part of the official canon until April 2014.

This game is currently the only thing in the "Legends" universe that is being continued, which really sucks. (There is a large facebook group called "Alliance to Preserve the Expanded Universe" who's primary goal is to keep interest in the EU in the hope that Disney will allow this universe to be continued)

Extra note, from my perspective Universe #2 (Legends) IS Star Wars. The Disneyverse is just an alternate series that just happens to share the stories of the first 6 movies and the name "Star Wars" on the cover. Besides that, they are as different to me as Harry Potter and LotR

MrGoldsilver no dispute from me there, your exactly right in what you think. However Disney has come out and said that DISNEYVERSE is the only Canon that Star Wars Fans should accept as a whole and I find that upsetting, we have now DisneyVerse Fans fighting against Purist Star Wars Fans telling us we are crackpots.

Eric_Skynwalker
02.04.2016 , 10:03 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by HiddenPalm View Post
Disneyverse didn't do a bad job with their movie, I liked it. But it's still just a fan film. We all know Canon is what "WE" dictate. The only thing about the Expanded Universe is that no one is allowed to make money off of it. We never made money off of it, so it doesnt matter. Regarding SWTOR, Robert Iger never said SWTOR wasn't canon. His employee Kathleen Kennedy also never said it wasn't canon. It's simply not important what they say, because we all know theyre holding their tongue because of licenses and lawyers. We don't make a single penny from these supposed "official" agreements, so we are under no law or obligation to hold them up. But by all means Mickey Mouse, make us more fan films, we love them. And if you want us to call them canon, then throw us some money. Other than that, long live Mara Jade!

The problem is they both came out and said at the first beginning that EU, the 6 Star Wars Films should have nothing to do with SWs TFA 1 and 2 that they were STANDALONE CANON. HiddenPalm that was the Disney Exe PR when the TFA 1 movie started to be talked about and what fans were warned about not to confuse of the Star Wars Canon of the 6 movies and EU before you walked into the theaters on TV etc. So is everything the Disney Exes say supposed to be what we should think about TFA1 and TFA2 or do we think that it is all Canon up to now?

LordDelectus
02.05.2016 , 03:09 PM | #43
Disney can go to Hell along with their fake universe.

This is all that remains of Star Wars canon and I have no interest in compromising a darn thing to try and accommodate those new films.

I am sure we will eventually see elements of the fake universe bleed into ours, and I will just do whatever I can to avoid it.

divinecynic
02.09.2016 , 01:13 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by LordDelectus View Post
Disney can go to Hell along with their fake universe.

This is all that remains of Star Wars canon and I have no interest in compromising a darn thing to try and accommodate those new films.

I am sure we will eventually see elements of the fake universe bleed into ours, and I will just do whatever I can to avoid it.

Well to be fair all of Star Wars is a fake universe...

Look canon really only matters to the content producers. Use what you like an ignore the rest. If you want to write Star Wars fan fiction and use it in your own head canon do that. I have been paying and running Star Wars in various forms for decades now and that is what I do. There were points of the EU I never accepted.

My only concern is how good the new material is. So far it's been a mixed bag but some of it is very good and I'm glad we have it.

In the end Star Wars is make believe. Have fun with it.

Yezzan
02.09.2016 , 01:44 PM | #45
Cannon is irrelevant. You follow the stories from the first one to the last, regardless of what the current owners of star wars says. The fact is whatever was canonized, in the past, cannot be un-canonized in the present, simply, because the owners want to make the new movies unpredictable. They should have thought of that when they were commissioned people to write books left, right and center, for profits.

Everything that I have read about SW, so far, is a part of the SW universe, as far as I am concerned. They just lack the creativity to make new movies fit into what is already known, and still be interesting, and unpredictable, without declaring that what we knew before is not relevant. George Lucas may have started SW but its bigger than him now.