A Kindly Old Monster requirments are too much (recruitment spoilers)

Brodoin

This quest just seems so horrible designed. It pretty much requires certain characters swap our crew skills or spend tons of credits.

Going for the materials you need from ~500 to ~800 items depending on which one you use. The problem is they are crafting items, so you need to either have a character with a high enough level to go to the planet that lets you gather them, or buy them on the GTN which could cost millions of credits. And the stacks Lokin takes only gives 300 influence besides a couple special items.

Keep in mind that to get a full 99 stack of the required items would range from 70~100k to millions each, depending on which one you choose. Again, you need hundreds of these items. Not to mention the new demand no doubt raises the prices of these items, so now crafters are also forced to spend more money.

Why would they put a quest like this in the game? Every other current recruitment the only resource you need is time. It makes me feel like I'm being punished for not having a high level biochem character or not being an Agent (who get to skip this part).

I think BW should change items Lokin needs should be the same as Qyzen, loot. Or, at least, either reduce the number amount needed for Lokin per influence gain or increase the amount of influence given.

Edited by Brodoin

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, if acquiring a companion is a grind fest, I won't be acquiring. We have that choice. But if BW has some plan in the works that certain companions or a certain number of companions influences the outcome of your kotfe story to a degree where not having those companions you need to grind for is detrimental to any degree, then they need to rethink the approach they've taken to acquiring them.

As far as I'm concerned, if acquiring a companion is a grind fest, I won't be acquiring. We have that choice. But if BW has some plan in the works that certain companions or a certain number of companions influences the outcome of your kotfe story to a degree where not having those companions you need to grind for is detrimental to any degree, then they need to rethink the approach they've taken to acquiring them.

I'm fine with a little bit of a grind if it revolves around something like combat, microbinoculars, seeker droids, that sort of thing.

But I shouldn't have to change my crafting profession or spend a crap ton of money to unlock a companion. That's just BS.

it was no big deal to get the mats -- I just got a bunch of one kind on the GTM -- took me more than one buying sesson --- I just took my time (since we couldn't get him till today anyway ) and did it -- sometimes you have to go slow to do the missions, it's not always a quickie thing ( same thing with getting the droid and Qyzen )

so you need to either have a character with a high enough level to go to the planet that lets you gather them

Where did get that from?

"Harvesting Nodes can now be harvested regardless of your skill level."

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10202015/game-update-4.0-knights-fallen-empire-early-access

Though:

"Harvesting Nodes grant different amounts of materials based on the player’s skill level. Players that are below the skill level of the node will receive fewer materials, and those higher than the node will receive more."

But at least you get something instead of previous "nope!".

Edited by Halinalle

it was no big deal to get the mats -- I just got a bunch of one kind on the GTM -- took me more than one buying sesson --- I just took my time (since we couldn't get him till today anyway ) and did it -- sometimes you have to go slow to do the missions, it's not always a quickie thing ( same thing with getting the droid and Qyzen )

The problem now, though, is that because the event is up and you can only get Lokin during the event, the cost of the materials has skyrocketed because more people are doing the quest. Just for a stack of the one Lokin needs 24 of per influence gain is over 200k each right now last I saw. You need 800 of them. That's at least 1.8 million credits, probably more. And odds are it'll go up some more due to the higher demand.

Biochem players, especially biochem Agents, are going to make a killing off this.

Edited by Brodoin

Where did get that from?

"Harvesting Nodes can now be harvested regardless of your skill level."

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/10202015/game-update-4.0-knights-fallen-empire-early-access

Though:

"Harvesting Nodes grant different amounts of materials based on the player’s skill level. Players that are below the skill level of the node will receive fewer materials, and those higher than the node will receive more."

But at least you get something instead of previous "nope!".

Yes, but you can't get grade 8 mats with a level 23 character. All the mats Lokin wants are grade 8.

Edited by Brodoin

I had these mats just taking up space in my cargo hold anyway, so didn't bother me any.

Yes, but you can't get grade 8 mats with a level 23 character. All the mats Lokin wants are grade 8.

How are you going to start KOTFE with a level 23 character? So who cares?

Edited by Caelrie

buy slowly --- play a lot to get the coin ( it's easy to make ) and buy when you can --- get the bank account up and keep it up, never let it get below a certain level --- and take your time ---

that's what you do in real life when you want to buy something ---- I didn't spend close to 1 M for the mats (maybe 300K ) -- I bought early too, knowing it would go up --- but the prices will come down; you just have to wait it out and don't give up and give in to instant gratification

buy slowly --- play a lot to get the coin ( it's easy to make ) and buy when you can --- get the bank account up and keep it up, never let it get below a certain level --- and take your time ---

that's what you do in real life when you want to buy something ---- I didn't spend close to 1 M for the mats (maybe 300K ) -- I bought early too, knowing it would go up --- but the prices will come down; you just have to wait it out and don't give up and give in to instant gratification

That'd be good advice if I wasn't letting my sub on Sunday. :/

Still, it doesn't excuse the fact that it is an unfair and bad quest design.

You can make a case for bad design, since that's subjective. It's not unfair though. You have exactly the same opportunity to get Dr Lokin as every other player.

It's probably tough to come up with a bunch of different ways to get companions. We haven't even seen what will be necessary for Khem/Blizz/Bowdaar et al yet so we don't know how many different grinds there are.

My bet is no matter what is required people will complain since now we've had complaints over Lokin, Qyzen, Forex, and Pierce. I've even heard some quieter rumblings about having to traverse all over Ilum for Xalek.

Only recruitable companion I haven't heard a complaint about is Yuun. And that's just go pick up 4 things all within a four block radius and bring it back.

Since they're optional I don't mind them gating them behind various different mechanisms.

I had these mats just taking up space in my cargo hold anyway, so didn't bother me any.

How are you going to start KOTFE with a level 23 character? So who cares?

I was responding to the person who misread my other post. I meant you can gather all resource nodes now regardless of craft skill level, but you can't exactly bring a level 23 to planet with grade 8 resources.

You can make a case for bad design, since that's subjective. It's not unfair though. You have exactly the same opportunity to get Dr Lokin as every other player.

It's at least a little unfair for a few reasons.

For one Agents can completely skip this part of his recruitment. Makes sense, he's an Agent companion after all and the others automatically join their respective original commander too. Not really unfair but still sucks if you aren't Agent.

Second, though, I do think is unfair in having to have a specific crafting skill (or an alt that does) that'd either high enough level to go to the planets and gather from the nodes, or high enough in skill to send companions on the missions in order to do this without spending a lot of money or having to do a very long and tedious grind.

Then you have no say in the matter & shouldn't care one way or the other as you won't be playing.

No it actually means you have to work for it & takes a bit, instead of instant recruitment done time for next. *smh*

I have cancelled my subscription because I don't want to pay real money for a game in which I pour fake money (which still represents real work) into a bad economy for story content. If this is what's meant to fill the time between chapter 9 and the new stuff next year, I'll pass.

I want to see this game do well but I can't justify paying dollars for what I view as bad alliance progression.

Then you have no say in the matter & shouldn't care one way or the other as you won't be playing.

No it actually means you have to work for it & takes a bit, instead of instant recruitment done time for next. *smh*

You seem to be under the impression that buying power has no voice in a capitalist economy. You are mistaken.

So my opinion is just ******** then, eh?

Honestly, I don't care if a quest takes time. It's the fact that to complete this quest I need to do specific things that no other quest in the entire freaking game requires.

it's not like the economic imbalance this quest creates is an alternative - for 7/8 classes you have to get the medical **** to recruit Lokin. People don't need to "suck it up" and participate in a bad fake economy when we can make better purchasing decisions in a real economy.

I think Bioware is just trying to deplete my stacks of Jawa Scraps. First by taking them out of packs and then by making me dip into them for mats.

They clearly don't appreciate my hoarders' ways.

this , also i lol because i have 3 legacy tabs , also THANK YOU OP , i had no idea that mats were going up in price due to this finally going to clear out my inventory space , also thank you BW sometimes we need stuff to burn off old resources to remove them from the economy.

So my opinion is just ******** then, eh?

Honestly, I don't care if a quest takes time. It's the fact that to complete this quest I need to do specific things that no other quest in the entire freaking game requires.

I like how you keep ignoring that he also accepts mats you get from doing the Rakghoul event, because it totally blows your whine out of the water.