I think we need equipment sets for companion

BIGssdl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No thanks. Getting rid of companion gear stats was one of the best things they did in 4.0.

[/unworthy emote]

Absolutely, positively, 100% agreed !!! ( allows me to focus more on gear for all of my alts along with a few other positive attributes ) !

[/two thumbs up]

gear wearing on companions, with some bonuses: presence, abilities cooldown, regen hp 1%per sec (for example):)

From an RPG perspective this is awesome especially with the current gear system where the gear can be moved from companion to companion or even character to character.

When this was in the game previously gear was very restrictive (contrary to what we asked for in beta) so you basically had to gear every companion individually.. it was rough.

IN the current game I think this would add depth and wouldn't be nearly as much of a grind as it was the last time it was in game.

Yes, how it originally was. Much better for end-game credit sink, companions were actually unique in their abilities and prowess. They got armor from the class quest as gear reward too.

Before your companion would actually go through different armor as you leveled same like the main character. Much better connection to them.

Now I barely gear them at all and they wear the same **** the entire game.

Bioware would never revert back the companion however. Streamlining the companions into literal skins of each other is what allowed them to monetize and sell them to the playerbase.

You would need a Classic Server to get the og game back.

Edited by ssupercid

your companion would actually go through different armor as you leveled same like the main character. Much better connection to them.

I really disliked it, and my characters must have hated their companions, since all they did was give them hand-me-downs most of the time. Now I give them outfits depending on the each character's preference (most get one uniform for all decided by their leader, but some get uniforms based on armor class or role, and some just get whatever they want to wear from my collections tab).

Companions have always been weird or tricky.

With the way companions originally worked if you were a DPS generally your best option to take with you would be a Healer or Tank however you'd see many DPS players running around with a DPS companion. This wasn't because that's what was best for their gameplay experience but because that companion was their love interest which is something Bioware most likely didn't account for during development and didn't want players to feel that they needed to restrict themselves like that.

Although that being said during the Alpha/Beta companions had Utility abilities that would give them a Kolto Grenade heal ability if they were a DPS/Tank.

When Treek was introduced a significant portion of the game's population began using her because of her versatility in being both a Tank/Healer but when you have something like an MMO or online game you don't want a significant percentage of your game's population using one weapon, one armor set, or in this case one companion.

Stat-based gear for companions meant people couldn't necessarily dress their companions the way wanted either.

Is the current companion system the best solution to all of these things No, not necessarily it's more that it kind of works as catch all for many of the complaints or restrictions people had about companions.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

100% disagree. 🙂

Im with you on this one. I wish they’d never removed companion gearing.

Sadly, I can see this is one of those topics that’s got the potential to split the community.

I will say it has made it easier to switch companions, but it did remove some of the customisable options I used to enjoy.

One of BW's best decisions was to get rid of companions needing to be geared up. I don't want to have to waste time gearing out companions when I could be gearing out all of my alts instead.

Exactly, and when a person has zillions of alts, the last thing to have to worry about is gearing comps for those alts. Gearing comps is NOT alt friendly at all.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Im with you on this one. I wish they’d never removed companion gearing.

Sadly, I can see this is one of those topics that’s got the potential to split the community.

I will say it has made it easier to switch companions, but it did remove some of the customisable options I used to enjoy.

I don't think there's a huge divide or split in the community between those that do or don't want to gear companions. I think you'll find there are probably a lot more people that just don't want to deal with it altogether or more specifically just want to give their companions the look/role they want and then not ever have to deal with them beyond that.

I mean think about it this way you're basically asking people whether or not they want to spend more time in menus and more of their resources (credits, comms, etc) on things that aren't their character.

Exactly, and when a person has zillions of alts, the last thing to have to worry about is gearing comps for those alts. Gearing comps is NOT alt friendly at all.

I certainly do not miss running Black Hole and Belsavis dailies for weeks to gear up Felix, Nadia, and Tharan so I could have a functional tank, DPS, and healer, respectively. Although I do miss being able to fine tune my comp's stats I do not think that outweighs not having to grind out gear for them. Maybe BW could add an item that allows us to select which stats we consider more important. For example, we equip one thing and their stats shift to focus on crit, we equip another and their stats shift to focus on alacrity, etc.

What I do miss is the individuality of comps. I wish BW had retained their unique abilities when in their original stance and given a generic set when in an off-stance.

I don't think there's a huge divide or split in the community between those that do or don't want to gear companions. I think you'll find there are probably a lot more people that just don't want to deal with it altogether or more specifically just want to give their companions the look/role they want and then not ever have to deal with them beyond that.

I mean think about it this way you're basically asking people whether or not they want to spend more time in menus and more of their resources (credits, comms, etc) on things that aren't their character.

What I said was it has the “potential”.

Plus, as people are often say on these forums, “we” don’t speak for the majority and can’t know what the majority want or feel without more feed back and other posts.

All I’m saying is I agree with JediQuake and I wouldn’t be surprised if others do to. And because people can have strong feelings about this topic, it can open up a divide in the community if we allow it to with overly strong language or aggressively attacking others opinions on this topic.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I certainly do not miss running Black Hole and Belsavis dailies for weeks to gear up Felix, Nadia, and Tharan so I could have a functional tank, DPS, and healer, respectively. Although I do miss being able to fine tune my comp's stats I do not think that outweighs not having to grind out gear for them. Maybe BW could add an item that allows us to select which stats we consider more important. For example, we equip one thing and their stats shift to focus on crit, we equip another and their stats shift to focus on alacrity, etc.

What I do miss is the individuality of comps. I wish BW had retained their unique abilities when in their original stance and given a generic set when in an off-stance.

When we used to have pvp gear with expertise stats I used to enjoy putting my entry lvl pvp gear on companions and flagging for OWPVP.

It was fun when top geared pve players would jump me with my lower stat pvp gear on and my companion and I would win in 1v2 fights.

I think I miss that the most about removing companion gear. But of course that wouldn’t be the same now cause we don’t have pvp gear and we have pvp instances instead of flagging (still a sore about that change).

What I said was it has the “potential”.

Plus, as people are often say on these forums, “we” don’t speak for the majority and can’t know what the majority want or feel without more feed back and other posts.

All I’m saying is I agree with JediQuake and I wouldn’t be surprised if others do to. And because people can have strong feelings about this topic, it can open up a divide in the community if we allow it to with overly strong language or aggressively attacking others opinions on this topic.

There are better ways to handle the companions than what we have now but you and I both know that one of the most/more common complaints among gamers, notably casuals ones, is having to spend too much time in menus. I don't think you're going to get many people disagreeing with that.

Yes, it seems like I/we are speaking on behalf of the majority in that instance but I feel like there's enough opinions out there with games to know that's a pretty common sentiment. It's sort of like saying most people don't like loot boxes. Is that something that you think you'll get many people fighting you on?

What I'm saying is that it's not really a surprise companions went the way they did based on the most common complaints found with games or at least the loudest complaints (if only the vocal minority on the forums or in game chat) that people had about the comps.

There are better ways to handle the companions than what we have now but you and I both know that one of the most/more common complaints among gamers, notably casuals ones, is having to spend too much time in menus. I don't think you're going to get many people disagreeing with that.

Yes, it seems like I/we are speaking on behalf of the majority in that instance but I feel like there's enough opinions out there with games to know that's a pretty common sentiment. It's sort of like saying most people don't like loot boxes. Is that something that you think you'll get many people fighting you on?

What I'm saying is that it's not really a surprise companions went the way they did based on the most common complaints found with games or at least the loudest complaints (if only the vocal minority on the forums or in game chat) that people had about the comps.

I don’t ever remember conversations about them removing gear until they decided to remove gearing for comps. Before that I honestly can’t recall any forum discussions about it.

Then it all blew up at the time because half of us didn’t want to lose gearing on comps and the other half did. The fact that your point of view went ahead doesn’t mean it was the most popular or right for some of us because Bioware rarely if ever reverse a plan to do something once they announce it.

I’m sure even if 99% of us were against it, Bioware would still have removed the gear. It doesn’t mean it’s what the majority of players at the time wanted it or wants now. It’s just your opinion, the same as my opinion is I didn’t want to lose it.

Let just leave it at that because I’ve very strong feelings about losing the ability to gear companions at the time and it seems you have the opposite opinion. I don’t feel like having a fight over something that’s been gone for years and will never return even if 100% of players wanted it.

It’s done, it’s gone, move on.

One of BW's best decisions was to get rid of companions needing to be geared up. I don't want to have to waste time gearing out companions when I could be gearing out all of my alts instead.

Curious how many alts you were leveling at the same time (since that's when companion gearing was needed) with companions that were taking up so much time gearing.

I don’t ever remember conversations about them removing gear until they decided to remove gearing for comps. Before that I honestly can’t recall any forum discussions about it.

Then it all blew up at the time because half of us didn’t want to lose gearing on comps and the other half did. The fact that your point of view went ahead doesn’t mean it was the most popular or right for some of us because Bioware rarely if ever reverse a plan to do something once they announce it.

I’m sure even if 99% of us were against it, Bioware would still have removed the gear. It doesn’t mean it’s what the majority of players at the time wanted it or wants now. It’s just your opinion, the same as my opinion is I didn’t want to lose it.

Let just leave it at that because I’ve very strong feelings about losing the ability to gear companions at the time and it seems you have the opposite opinion. I don’t feel like having a fight over something that’s been gone for years and will never return even if 100% of players wanted it.

It’s done, it’s gone, move on.

You very well can be right and I wrong.

For as much as Bioware continues to streamline the game and/or push the Cartel Market it always felt like removing stats from companion gear fell right in line with that.

With the CM I gotta imagine removing stats got people to buy CM items for their companions that they might not otherwise have bought knowing they'd have to constantly pull mods in and out of.

Curious how many alts you were leveling at the same time (since that's when companion gearing was needed) with companions that were taking up so much time gearing.

Does it matter to you? It shouldn't. Investigating how many alts someone has, how a person plays them, etc., is no one's business but the strict domain of that player.

Some think 10 alts are excessive. News for you in that regard. Not even close.

Edited by xordevoreaux