Who’s your favorite Sith and Jedi and why?

xXxNYROxXx

So I was sitting here reading some books, playing some Star Wars games and realized just how unique and expansive this universe really is. One thing I kept asking myself was who my favorite Sith or Jedi was because there are SO MANY...

As I thought about it I decided Darth Maul was probably my favorite Sith... I know “generic choice” right? But I am 32 now and I remember as a kid seeing Episode 1 in theaters and remembering how awesome he looked. It drove me mad they “killed him off” so early and I was elated when the Clone Wars and Rebels had him survive.

Jedi was tough... very tough for me but probably Qui-Gon Jinn... I really enjoyed how defiant he was and how he just kinda did his own thing.

What were yours? (Doesn’t have to be from the movies.)

Sith is probably Darth Vader - I just can't ever help thinking about the way he matter-of-factly executed Admiral Ozzel for endangering the fleet and their mission in the opening moves of the Battle of Hoth, calmly turned to Piett and informed him that he was now Admiral Piett; nor how on Hoth, the Tantive V, or even the Battle of Yavin, Vader was out there in the field with the Imperial pilots and troopers, fighting alongside them instead of simply waiting back at the command center.

Jedi... got to be Nejaa Halcyon; one of the first Green Jedi we were introduced to, before anyone even knew what a 'Green Jedi' was, and probably the best example of how the Corellian Temple and the Great Temple on Coruscant differed in their philosophies with the fact that he was partnered with a CorSec officer, married with a child...

(There are times where I honestly think that, if he had ended up on Corellia instead of Coruscant, Anakin might not have ended up falling like he had...)

Sith is probably Darth Vader - I just can't ever help thinking about the way he matter-of-factly executed Admiral Ozzel for endangering the fleet and their mission in the opening moves of the Battle of Hoth, calmly turned to Piett and informed him that he was now Admiral Piett; nor how on Hoth, the Tantive V, or even the Battle of Yavin, Vader was out there in the field with the Imperial pilots and troopers, fighting alongside them instead of simply waiting back at the command center.

Jedi... got to be Nejaa Halcyon; one of the first Green Jedi we were introduced to, before anyone even knew what a 'Green Jedi' was, and probably the best example of how the Corellian Temple and the Great Temple on Coruscant differed in their philosophies with the fact that he was partnered with a CorSec officer, married with a child...

(There are times where I honestly think that, if he had ended up on Corellia instead of Coruscant, Anakin might not have ended up falling like he had...)

Green Jedi were always very interesting to me. The fact they took a lot of liberties but really we hear about fewer of them turning to the dark side than Jedi being brought up in the traditional system always struck me as interesting.

Sith: I'd have to go with Bane. He saw the errant stupidity of his order and decided to go his own way

Jedi: I'd have to go with Ahsoka, She saw the errant stupidity of her order and decided to go her own way

Very true on both accounts.Sometimes our beliefs keep us from being open minded and seeing the big picture.

Edited by xXxNYROxXx

Sith: probably Count Dooku or Darth Traya. Dooku for being a masterful fencer and a charismatic leader. Christopher Lee's portrayal of the man is the savior of episode II. Traya, I find her generally very interesting and a unique case amongst the Sith.

Jedi: Hmm, probably Satele. While she is not much of a mother, I can't help but admire her conviction to the Republic and the Jedi Order.

Green Jedi were always very interesting to me. The fact they took a lot of liberties but really we hear about fewer of them turning to the dark side than Jedi being brought up in the traditional system always struck me as interesting.

Yeah; despite what we got regarding Nejaa Halcyon and what we later see from Corran Horn in the EU/Legends, I've always felt that the Green Jedi were under-explored. I mean, think about it, there's more known about 'Dark Jedi', Jedi who have gone to the Dark Side but not become full-fledged Sith, than there really is Green Jedi - Jedi who haven't (for lack of a better terminology) given up on the things that make them people like love, friendship, lives outside the Order...

Yeah; despite what we got regarding Nejaa Halcyon and what we later see from Corran Horn in the EU/Legends, I've always felt that the Green Jedi were under-explored. I mean, think about it, there's more known about 'Dark Jedi', Jedi who have gone to the Dark Side but not become full-fledged Sith, than there really is Green Jedi - Jedi who haven't (for lack of a better terminology) given up on the things that make them people like love, friendship, lives outside the Order...

It is very weird. You’d think there would be more focus on it. To me it’s very interesting because they stand by those connections the Jedi Order preaches against while still remaining part of the light and the Jedi Order recognizes them as allies when it suits them. Of course they sometimes view them as heretics or outcasts but still don’t really do anything about it even though they are so intent on such things inevitably guiding people to the dark side.

• 1 month later...

If we go with my head-canon then my favourite Sith is Darth Revan, female. She returns to the dark side during the events of KOTOR and with the empire back in her hands, heads into the Unknown Regions to destroy the Sith Empire.

If we don't go with my head-canon then my favourite Sith would have to be pre-Disney Darth Sidious. He is such an awesome character who rightfully earns the title of most powerful Sith of all time. He brought peace and stability to the galaxy.

My favourite Jedi is Qui-Gon Jinn. As a kid I really liked his character and the way he looked. Liam did a great job with the role and I wish we got more of this character. A lot more.

Favorite Sith, I'd have to say Count Dooku for me. Simply because he was a guy who respected the duelist nature of being a swordsman. He saw those using multiple lightsabers as those who were ust compensating for a lack of skill which was pretty awesome. Also its frickin Christopher Lee who played him. RIP.

Favorite Jedi: Luke Skywalker, I haven't read to much into his role as a jedi after the battle of Endor, but I like his story.

• 3 weeks later...

Overall, my favorite Sith is probably SWTOR's very own Darth Marr. He's probably the ultimate ideal Sith. Evil, yes, but also smart and honorable.

My favorite Jedi is probably Ahsoka. When I was younger, I thought her youthful enthusiasm made her easy to identify with. As the Clone Wars series went on, and I simultaneously grew into adulthood, I enjoyed her arc of discovering the Jedi Order's flaws and responding to them.

Edited by rashencyberspeed

• 1 month later...

Jedi... would be Obi'Wan. About the only thing I would have changed about the fellow, involves a certain Duchess of Mandalore. Of course, that would have left a Skywalker (possibly more than one) without a teaching master... but that might have been good, too.

Sith. That one is a bit harder; depending on whom has the title at the time... the first Darth Traya was delicious in how she set things up... but Darth Marr has the whole style of evil for the... good? survival of the species/Empire down. I do wonder about a timeline wherein he was born in the Republic instead of the Empire, but, hey. Too many Sith are Evilishis for the sake of Evildom, with no... vision. Traya and Marr go beyond that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite sith of all time is Darth Nihilus simply because I view him as one of the most powerful in history, my favorite jedi is yoda because why not :)

If we have to go strictly canon and from the movies my favorite sith would be Darth Maul, as a kid when he ignited that double lightsaber in phantom menace I knew. Also I very much like Darth Vader aka Anakin before he got burned on Mustafar because I could see the potential had he not been defeated.

• 4 months later...

I am going to answer this question a bit differently as this is kinda a open ended question depending on what characters so i am going to throw in sith/jedi combo as well to the mix.

Sith: There are a few that i could list in this from Nihilus, Darth Marr, Ruin, Naga Sadow. Nihilus because probably in terms of power in all of star wars he is probably 2nd or a close 2nd to Vitiate with Sideous maybe a little bit more stronger because Sideous was not consumed by the need to devour the force and life essence of people to sustain his life. He is a planet devourer tier of sith his power really knows no bounds even technically when he was killed he really not killed as his life was tied to the his mask which eventually ended up in the Jedi Temple of Coruscant. Darth Marr he was very much a level headed Sith, whereas Malgus was not as level headed. Marr was more of a gray sith in terms of his role in star wars. yeah there is no such thing as gray jedi or gray Sith but Marr was not light side until after death he was still darkside but he was far more open to the lightside than most Sith during his time on the Dark council than most sith would ever be. Ruin created the Sith Battlelords during the New Sith Wars. Ruin was another Jedi turned and became like so many other great sith before and after would be. May not have been as strong as some of the sith but in terms of knowledge within the force he brought the sith back from obscurity. Naga Sadow because of his sith alchemy the fact he was defeating the republic with ease due to illusions until he got too cocky on it. A really cool sith in general in terms of his armor and his powers.

Jedi: I would have put Obi-wan in this but there was a lot of mistakes he made with Anakin from being too harsh at times when he was guilty of the same rashness as padawan/youngling, even Obi-wan had the romance with the Duchess of Mandalore which he knew about Anakin and Padme but Anakin feared that Obi-wan would find out about the marriage of Anakin and Padme's. There is also a few times Obi-wan actually channeled the darkside through himself to beat Maul after Maul struck down Qui-gon and also when Maul killed the Duchess Obi-wan was not using the lightside of the force in those moments he was very much tapped into the darkside. In fact he had the chance to actually save Anakin after he chopped of Anakin's limbs he could have actually brought him back to yoda for healing physically, mentally and spiritually. He chose to give up on Anakin because of what Yoda said to him before Mustafar. Would he have been able to reach Anakin maybe, maybe not but the fact Luke got through to Anakin also meant that Obi-wan did not do enough to actually bring him back to the light. So my answer to this 1 would probably be Yoda as for the pure fact of him being the avatar of light. If Order 66 had not happened the way it happened Sideous vs Yoda would have been a much different fight they have indeed had Mace, Yoda and Anakin against Sideous. Though Yoda would not have needed help because Yoda had really only fled from Sideous the toll from Order 66 had on Yoda weakened him a great deal not only from emotions of the fallen jedi but actually weakened his connection to the force itself. And he still was giving Sideous a run for his money until that final attack which Yoda fell in. Yoda was not perfect he did have his mistakes including giving Mace too much power on the council and during Phantom Menace Mace was actually grand master at that time not Yoda, as Yoda had stepped down from grandmaster only too take it back up towards middle and end of the clone wars. Mace was going to replace Yoda after Dooku left the Jedi order. Mace had a lot of faults within him and was a huge reason Anakin actually went to the darkside as Mace and Anakin rarely got along but Yoda and Anakin respected each other. If Yoda had more influence on Anakin and his training and Anakin was allowed to study from each Jedi Master like Revan was they would have actually probably been far better off. Anakin would have been probably even stronger than Sideous during Revenge of the Sith and probably far less emotional than what we seen. He would have still used his emotions but he would not have let them control him. Honestly I would have liked to seen more of Yoda's overstepping in Anakin's training because of the brotherly bonds that Obi-wan and Anakin shared often were a issue.

Sith/Jedi combo: Revan as a jedi he refused to have a single given master or conform to just 1 lightsaber saber instead he went out of his way to learn as much about the force and combat as he could. Which he implemented in fights changing between saber forms to throw enemies off balance or for a loop. When he became sith he didnt fully become sith he became sith out of necessity and when he broke free from the emperor's mind control he remained sith infact he was going to remake the republic into his empire and the jedi into his sith order because the jedi were ill-prepared for a war against the sith that had been hiding for 1000 yrs. Which in a manner of speaking for a time Revan was technically a Emperor in his own right maybe not took up the title like Malgus during False Emperor but the fact he was forming his own empire indeed makes that a case. Probably only a few sith that outclassed Revan in terms of power or skill being: Vitiate/Tenebrae/Valkorian, Nihilus, Marka Ragnos and Tulak Hord. Even his redemption he was not fully returned to the jedi nor was he returned to the sith he followed his own path which caused him to be torn between the force. Unlike Anakin, Revan was not consumed by the force on either side. Bane considered himself Revan's apprentice because of the training and guidance Revan gave him in the holocron. The sith order actually actually in many regards owes its survival through Kotor years to RotJ to Revan. What does not actually get mentioned that often however is the influence Revan had on the emperor during his imprisoned for 300 years. We do know Vitiate went to Zakuul several times but it was not until around the time Revan was captured that Zakuul actually starting taking shape as neither light nor darkside. It is also stated that he kept Vitiate from attacking for so long which really allowed him to focus on Zakuul as a whole while the dark council pretty much did their own thing while thinking they served Vitiate. It can be taken that due to Revan's influence and showing the emperor the lightside that it Zakuul Knights and the society itself actually became what it became otherwise it would have resembled a much darker order than the sith empire. Revan's influence was far greater on the galaxy than most even realize. Even the remade jedi order under Meetra Surik who was 1 of Revan's generals, apprentices and closest friends means the order actually even for a time was under Revan's guidance. Not to mention the bloodline of his and Bastilla's being in the order for centuries.

Jedi: Yoda. Even though he made some decisions during clone wars and afterward that I think could have gone a different direction (i.e. his advice to Anakin in regard to attachments)

Sith: It is a tie.

Darth Zannah (successor to Darth Bane). (see Bane trilogy). She figured out much on her own and put her own unique techniques to accomplish her goals.

Darth Marr. Wasn't just another crazy burn it all down sort of Sith. Actually accomplished much for the Empire.