Regarding the News about Combat Styles

IramUnleashed

I just saw how we aren't able to switch over preexisting characters original advanced class. I made a Dark Knight in full preparation for being able to do, now what is no longer possible. I have gear, now bound, that is pointless for them to have. I spent millions of credits on that gear on the GTN, as well as cartel coins to prepare this character. Now, for nothing. Thanks a lot. I don't have the means to make another with that gear.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can still pick a second Combat Style that is different, at least as a subscriber. But I totally agree that the news article about the separation of story and gameplay can be considered extremely misleading if we will not be able to change our existing advanced class to a different Combat Style. I am still not 100% sure that it won't be the case or that it will not come some time later after the expansion has been released, but the overall communication from the devs about Combat Styles has definitely been quite abysmal. Edited by Phazonfreak

Just checked Ye Olde Spreadsheet for all 5 accounts, all told, 183 toons.

This may or may not mean re-roll city for me. Way too much of an investment in some characters, and I don't want to lose bound appearance armor, like the Rishi pirate outfits, just for the sake of this new feature.

Understatement: I probably won't be the only player exercising due diligence in this process.

Least-cost approach for me is to focus on only those toons that are most likely to be used to support my guild going forward, i.e., the toons I bring to guild ops 2 to 3 times a week. Those few toons will be the ones who'll benefit from the new gear. Those toons won't be re-rolled, just given a second combat style.

The rest might just sit there with 1 class unless the mood hits me to torch a given toon and re-roll it. That's something I really won't know till I'm faced with it.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I just saw how we aren't able to switch over preexisting characters original advanced class. I made a Dark Knight in full preparation for being able to do

You mean you made a dark side Jedi guardian?

Because you can still choose a 2nd combat style on that characters, and as a force users you do get the special option to change your initial combat style to the empire mirror, so you do have the option to change your Jedi guardian for example into a Sith juggernaut, just not a different advanced class, only limited to the mirror of your initial advanced class.

Because you can still choose a 2nd combat style on that characters, and as a force users you do get the special option to change your initial combat style to the empire mirror, so you do have the option to change your Jedi guardian for example into a Sith juggernaut, just not a different advanced class, only limited to the mirror of your initial advanced class.

Yes I made a Guardian, but that switch still does me no good, I was going for a Marauder/Sorcerer class.

I guess those extra server slot tokens will jackpot in price on the GTN now.

600cc converting to 1 billion credits coming soon to a GTN near you 😞

Are a billion credits circa 2021, let's say 2022 now, worth what a billion credits were circa 2012? No. Not by a long shot.

"Billion" has become meaningless, regardless of the source of conversion, so why panic about or mourn over

a 600cc --> 1bn conversion when in 2023 it'll be 600cc--> 2 billion conversion?

The number just doesn't mean anything any more, meaning credits are essentially a dead currency, or in a couple more years of hyperinflation, certainly will be.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I guess those extra server slot tokens will jackpot in price on the GTN now.

600cc converting to 1 billion credits coming soon to a GTN near you 😞

Thank you, this is a sound strategy and I will also adopt it. This may make up for the credits that I've spent in legacy unlocks and dyes on characters that I have to delete and reroll now.

Edited by Cedia

From what people are saying that was posted in the sooper seecrit Discord channel by a dev, you do not have the ability to change your Force user's initial combat style unless you haven't unlocked Dark/Light V already.

From what people are saying that was posted in the sooper seecrit Discord channel by a dev, you do not have the ability to change your Force user's initial combat style unless you haven't unlocked Dark/Light V already.

Yeah this sounds uncertain because they also included the requirement to be at the end of act 3, does that mean people past act 3 wont be able to change their initial to mirror even if they have light/dark V?

It is definitely confusing

Edited by ralphieceaser

Yeah this sounds uncertain because they also included the requirement to be at the end of act 3, does that mean people past act 3 wont be able to change their initial to mirror even if they have light/dark V?

It is definitely confusing

D/L V unlocked? Can't change.

Past chapter 3? Can't change.

Yeah, I don't know why they even said that Force users could change their primary slot to their mirror because most existing characters won't be able to if this is the case.

Edited by Cedia

and they are saying this now. which is funny. bait and switch much? they got peoples subs. thats what matters

i saw this coming from a mile away so i just didnt invest any time into chars. i was vocal about it, but people were too mesmerized by unattainable potential outcomes and were in the belief that bioware will do right and no wrong by us.

Edited by GeneralGyro

D/L V unlocked? Can't change.

Past chapter 3? Can't change.

Yeah, I don't know why they even said that Force users could change their primary slot to their mirror because most existing characters won't be able to if this is the case.

And this revelation from Bioware was unexpected? They promised more than they could deliver, which is typical. I only hope they will be able to fix the messed up leveling content they previewed on the PTS otherwise the game is heading toward a crash and burn expansion (be ready for a roll back).

i was vocal about it, but people were too mesmerized by unattainable potential outcomes and were in the belief that bioware will do right and no wrong by us.

Yeah honestly I have no idea how so many people could be so blind when all the signs pointed out that existing characters would be limited. I tried to warn people and some listen but some were just angry at the idea that they could be wrong.

Yeah honestly I have no idea how so many people could be so blind when all the signs pointed out that existing characters would be limited. I tried to warn people and some listen but some were just angry at the idea that they could be wrong.

Too many people believing the final PTS was not going to be representative of what launched (despite what the veterans were telling them). What they described is exactly how it worked on the PTS. Bioware isn't interested in people who have been playing the game for a long time. They are the problem in their eyes. They have all those credits, all those alts, and all that gear that makes balancing difficult. Best to get rid of them and start fresh.

This ALMOST screwed me...

I plan to play sith warrior story, but want assassin and sorc combat styles. Based on the way the system was initially described, I almost started this char a few weeks ago.

I'm sure glad I decided to not trust Bioware lol

Edited by Ulrah

I guess I'm a simple girl at heart. My OG plan was to change my Tactics Vanguard to a Merc/Operative. Since that's no longer possible he'll just keep his Vanguard as a backup. I hope I can open Assassin on my SW, he is a light 5 but that's ok if it's not the primary right... Oh dear...:confused:

There were a number of people asking for clarification about this when they first announced it and yet they did not respond to the questions. This was something they should have already known at the time and been honest at the beginning but then if they had done that most would not have responded so positive.

This is why I always take it carefully when they announce anything as there is always some sort of strings they want to pull.

My impression is that in July when someone mentioned that we'd be able to reset our current combat style (and also pick a 2nd if we'd finished the class story), that was the plan. But now they've determined that they won't have time to add a UI/functionality for one time switches to characters created before 7.0. And since that's one thing that would be confusing to staple into a later update, it's been cut. It's disappointing but wouldn't cause me to quit or anything.

I'm still looking forward to being able to switch my marauders and juggernauts to sentinels and guardians. But the likely horrible class balance and arbitrary crippling of knight/warriors probably will cause me to quit. C'est la vie.

There were a number of people asking for clarification about this when they first announced it and yet they did not respond to the questions. This was something they should have already known at the time and been honest at the beginning but then if they had done that most would not have responded so positive.

This is why I always take it carefully when they announce anything as there is always some sort of strings they want to pull.

Exactly.

People would be less upset if Bioware list and answer the can and cannot regarding combat styles instead of staying silent until it's less than two weeks before the 7.o launch date. At least they won't feel like they are being fooled.

Oh, and the fact that at least one of the developers is being more active and answers more questions on whatever unofficial discord he's in instead of the official forum here speaks for itself :rolleyes:

I wonder how long before we see a token for changing combat style shows up on the cartel market. I am sure it is coming and they will charge money for it.

If it truly is a technical problem I am guessing the cartel token like that would only really let you switch your 2nd combat style