Regarding server queues

StephenReid

Also, let's move the Oceanic people off The Harbinger and Swiftsure, you all are the reason those 2 servers have the longest que times, apparently you decided these were for you. Well theyre not, theyre West Coast servers. Ask Bioware to make you an Oceanic server.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is part art and part science.

No, is part customer service and part business. And a whole lot of common sense.

Im sad to say I dont see it.

The problem with staged server rollouts, which you may notice, is dont choose servers based on population... they choose they based on friends / guilds / communities.

This is the result of Day 1 choice of server... effecting every person coming. Even on the day you bought a new wave of servers, new players went where there friends went, to the Day 1 servers.

Harbinger and Swiftsure are proof, people have crowded those servers cause their friends / guilds / communities (mainly Australians) jumped there. No one is moving, inspite of the queues.

You are expecting this game to grow, your selling it on TV, after pre-release sales... why isnt there 2 server spots per pre-release game sold, not barely enough space. Double, triple, having the empty space, just means you will fill it.

Thats good customer service, thats good PR, thats good business... no art or science involved.

While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

Who wrote that, who told you to write that ???

Thats a comment thats a good context when you have 10-15 minute queues and have to apologise cause its required technically. Its in bad context when there are 3 hour queues on particular servers and you have not acknowledge the seriousness of them or made plans to resolve them before launch.

Just throwing my hat in the ring stating that being able to move character or guild from server to server (at least once) would be a great solution to this problem. Bringing more servers online doesn't help those of us who already have time invested in characters on overpopulated servers.

It's hard to add much to this discussion that hasn't already been said, but I guess I'll try since I am stuck in hour 4 of my wait to get into game (for the 5th time since Friday night.)

I've participated in 5 different MMO launches beginning in Beta and this is quite certainly the worst.

Some of this couldn't have been avoided, some of it was clearly caused by how they're launching. The idea to pre-reg guilds = clever.... combine that with the staggered pre-launch so guildies can't level together = not clever. Top that with the cherry that is the near impossibility to group with anyone for any length of time because if they lose connection, you're just done... and you have a tasty sundae of FAIL.

This isn't a game for grouping in its current state. It's simply not a playable MMORPG.

Hell I see some people on here whinning about 30 minute ques. I started early day 1 and thanks to Aussies(no offense against you guys, I know BW screwed you). Have completely taken over multiple west coast US servers. The average que time for me has been roughly 2+ hours per night after my first log in.

Honestly, after having played MMO's for several years now if the que's do not get fixed the game will fail as bad as the original did after the NGE patch. I could see 15-30 minute ques but wasting hours just to get DC's or the game crashing to wait several more hours is one of those things that are going to make people ask for their money back.

I'm severely disappointed with these queue times. And honestly, the comment from the devs saying something like "We can't promise there won't ever be queue times" is unnacaptable! Plain and simple. I remember when Aion launched and when a server filled up YOU COULDN'T CREATE A CHARACTER ON IT! SIMPLE! If Aion could do that, so can SWTOR. And all they said was "We're gonna put more servers in the game." Well.... that's great for new players but us exsisting players who have to wait hours are fed up! Honestly, I will not be playing this game past the first free month I get with the game if this isn't fixed. Pity, I seem to have wasted a perfectly good $150 on a game that I have to wait hours an hours to play.... I'VE WAITED 2 YEARS AND NOW I AM EXPECTED TO KEEP WAITING?!?! And I am already a paying customer, I was billed for my collectors edition a couple days ago. Don't screw this launch up Bioware, for goodness sakes, you have so much going for this game and it would be horrible for it to drive people away, even hardcore people like me who have been waiting years for this game, over rediculous server queues.

Also, let's move the Oceanic people off The Harbinger and Swiftsure, you all are the reason those 2 servers have the longest que times, apparently you decided these were for you. Well theyre not, theyre West Coast servers. Ask Bioware to make you an Oceanic server.

Yeah, whats up with almost every single EU player being on the American Servers?

There are tons of servers for you all with Light to Very Light Population. Please

Yeah, I was 1800 about 2 1/2 hours ago, 702 now.

Well I clearly am not going to stay up until 4am to play the game, this is just stupid. Bioware you made a game that has less bugs in it then any other MMO I have played on release. It runs like silk, I have had no lag, no problems but you really REALLY screwed up logging into the damn server. Of all the things to overlook lol

Thank you for the information, but all you really stated was that the Dev team is monitoring the situation. We appreciate the feedback, but I'm pretty sure most of us are aware that the team is paying close attention.

What we would like to know most of all would be what are you planning to DO about it? Letting the problem solve itself without any intervention would be a very poor decision.

We have been, they keep locking the threads under "No Petitions Allowed"

We have been asking for servers since developer early days. They didnt listen.

And it would be Oceanic ServerS, plural.

Unofficial Oceanic servers have been around for decades from one game to the next, only way we can play, West Coast being our closest server farms in MMOs. That said, they knew we were coming and didnt plan for this... where is your art, where is your science. (if your looking for science, a statistician would of been you best bet, cause if you were talking to a geographer then I can understand the bad science)

I cancelled my preorder back in Sept, but still got early access. It's a good thing too cuz I am definately not buying on the 20th after going through these queues. I might get it a few weeks down the road if I hear the queues cleared up, but I am not paying to not play.

They didn't decide anything. Bioware decided to put all the Oceanic guilds on those servers, at a bare minimum they should have put a note on the server selection screen so people would have known before they chose those servers.

As for the rest of the Australian/Oceanic people rolling on those servers.... Would you want to play on an empty server when everyone is sleeping, or on a server where there are people playing the same time as you??

PLEASE ADD A GRACE PERIOD BIOWARE.

I can deal with the que times while it all get sorted out and the hype is still high. I can usually pre-plan my play time enough to log in to my home machine remotely a couple hours before I get there.... but what is unacceptable is crashing/dc'ing because of a game error, then going to the back of the que.

Fact is, Bioware stated many times they wanted to create the 'smoothest' game launch in history. I don't particualry see a 3-4 hour queue as exactly smooth.

Welcome to the MMO genre Bioware!

Yeah, that right there.

At this point, what is the point of picking up the game and activating the retail code-- so my subscription time (and even the "free month") can be spent looking at the server screen?

Seriously, not all of us have hours to play an MMO in a sitting-- nevermind waiting hours to play an MMO in a sitting.

sigh.... accidentally alt f4 (to change music you hold the Steelseries key then press f4,Steelseries key is next to alt.....) and now in 1600+ queue.....

fbs.

And the OP is nothing, explains nothing and tells nothing.... most useless post.

Edited by xipho

No, is part customer service and part business. And a whole lot of common sense.

Im sad to say I dont see it.

The problem with staged server rollouts, which you may notice, is dont choose servers based on population... they choose they based on friends / guilds / communities.

This is the result of Day 1 choice of server... effecting every person coming. Even on the day you bought a new wave of servers, new players went where there friends went, to the Day 1 servers.

Harbinger and Swiftsure are proof, people have crowded those servers cause their friends / guilds / communities (mainly Australians) jumped there. No one is moving, inspite of the queues.

You are expecting this game to grow, your selling it on TV, after pre-release sales... why isnt there 2 server spots per pre-release game sold, not barely enough space. Double, triple, having the empty space, just means you will fill it.

Thats good customer service, thats good PR, thats good business... no art or science involved.

Who wrote that, who told you to write that ???

Thats a comment thats a good context when you have 10-15 minute queues and have to apologise cause its required technically. Its in bad context when there are 3 hour queues on particular servers and you have not acknowledge the seriousness of them or made plans to resolve them before launch.

Very well put and I completely agree.

My question is, why haven't they locked servers from having new characters created on them until they get this problem under control?

Servers that are FULL, need to have new character creation locked out, and the population migrated over to a new server; until the FULL server no longer has a queue. (Migrate them over to another server that is the same type and time zone.)

Yes, there will be unhappy players about being put on another server than what they started out with. At least they'll be able to play and not stuck in a queue for over an hour or more.

I'm certain that the amount of players who are unhappy, about being stuck in a server queue for hours on end; far outnumber the amount that would be generated by a forced server migration.

Count me as one of the MANY unhappy players, who is tired of waiting for more than 2 hours to play. I was one of the fortunate to get a Day 1 invite to the EGA and on Day 1, there weren't any queue times that I noticed. On day 2 though, I waited 6 HOURS in the queue to get on and play. Thankfully, it hasn't been that bad since. Unfortunately, my average wait time in the queue is around 2 hours. This is ludicrous and the only reason I keep putting up with the queue times, must be because I'm a glutton for punishment. Ugh!