Launcher not working - unable to start the game

LowelyMae

Hi, I've never played before but signed up for a subscription and have had nothing but problems trying to open the game. I've installed the game and when i go to press "PLAY" the launcher closes down and nothing else happens. I have looked on other forums and tried some of the steps they they put on such as fixing the resolution by going to the Windows menu and entering in "%localappdata%\SWTOR\swtor\" however, when I type that in my computer brings up an error message saying "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\ refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network." What can I do to fix this problem so I can begin playing?

There are quite a few potential reasons why the game might not start after pressing "Play", but most of them for me have been resolved by rebooting the PC. Other than that, running the launcher as Administrator can also help with troubleshooting, as it can be a UAC issue on PCs with restricted permissions applied to your user account, or with the UAC set to a custom level.

Anti-virus or firewall apps can also sometimes present issues, but I would usually expect them to give some kind of pop-up to ask if you want to allow the launcher to have access through the firewall/mark it as a valid application. Unless, of course, you are using a corporate/centrally managed antivirus/firewall on the computer in which case the corporate IT team will have locked down the environment so users cannot change things.

Regarding your specific error message about the file path, is your username actually "user"? If not, the file path should be a shortenned version of your login name, so double-check that.

But overall, it sounds like your user account has restricted access to the computer (this may still be the case if your username is a member of the "Administrators" group on the computer).