I am honestly surprised that EA has not shut off the servers.

darkcollin

While yes, this is my favorite mmorpg, Or rather it is more a RPG MMO and star wars video game. Judging by the ammount of updates and expansions released, EA and bioware see no reason to turn off the servers, as this game must be making heaps of $$$. Is that why this game has not been shutdown.

While yes, this is my favorite mmorpg, Or rather it is more a RPG MMO and star wars video game. Judging by the ammount of updates and expansions released, EA and bioware see no reason to turn off the servers, as the cartel market must be making heaps of $$$. Is that why this game has not been shutdown.

There, FTFY.

A couple years ago they announced they had made almost a billion from SWTOR so far, probably over a billion now. So that's why. They're still making money from it, even if it's mostly maintenance mode. I think it also served as evidence for Disney that EA was doing something with the Star War license. Remember how few Star Wars games came out since 2012 when EA got the exclusive license. If not for SWTOR, EA would have had only 1 or 2? Star Wars games in 10 years. Edited by ThanderSnB

The only reasons MMOs get shut down are because they don't make enough money, or because they would interfere with another MMO, like with SWG. SWTOR is profitable enough to get a new expansion a decade after launch, the sixth full story expansion for the game. There's no way they'd shut it down unless Disney decides to make a new MMO in their abominable version of Star Wars, which fortunately has not happened yet.

The only reasons MMOs get shut down are because they don't make enough money, or because they would interfere with another MMO, like with SWG. SWTOR is profitable enough to get a new expansion a decade after launch, the sixth full story expansion for the game. There's no way they'd shut it down unless Disney decides to make a new MMO in their abominable version of Star Wars, which fortunately has not happened yet.

Yeah, conditions are different now than back then. "Live service" is all the rage now and this game has an elaborate store that can keep making money, even with little to no new game content. The license seems like the only uncertain part, but I think the likelihood is that if it comes down to not getting the license renewed to continue development, they will prob negotiate some token license to keep the game running, just without gameplay updates, so they can keep making some money off it. Also, I wouldn't put it past this video game industry to do it, but it would be pretty abhorrent to just erase all of this game's content, with no public way to access it, especially considering the conditions are different in terms of how much money people can put into it. I mean, Guild Wars 1 is still running despite Guild Wars 2 being there. It's not a given that old online games *have to* shut down.

Some games still stay up with no updates (looking at you Secret World Legends). It's actually infuriating because they don't even announce that they are done doing new content, you just wait and wait until you get sick of it and leave... I'm guessing it's the approach that will happen here eventually, although I really hope not.

But no game releases a "last patch," there's no point in creating content on a game that doesn't make enough money anymore. It's just far from being the case of SWTOR.

Let's net get hysterical here, this "expansion" that SWTOR's getting a decade after launch is smaller than previous content PATCHES, and even the last expansion (Onslaught) was barely larger so yeah. And EA's the most cut-throat publisher out there when it comes to shutting down servers, games and whole studios the second they dont bring in enough profit (let alone no-profit or even losses). So let's enjoy it while it lasts but don't expect SWTOR running for very long when /after it enters full maintenance mode (and well, we're clearly not far away from that unless something changes), this is EA we're talking about, not Valve, SOE, Blizzard etc. Edited by Pietrastor

Let's net get hysterical here, this "expansion" that SWTOR's getting a decade after launch is smaller than previous content PATCHES, and even the last expansion (Onslaught) was barely larger so yeah. And EA's the most cut-throat publisher out there when it comes to shutting down servers, games and whole studios the second they dont bring in enough profit (let alone no-profit or even losses). So let's enjoy it while it lasts but don't expect SWTOR running for very long when /after it enters full maintenance mode (and well, we're clearly not far away from that unless something changes), this is EA we're talking about, not Valve, SOE, Blizzard etc.

I would say its probably a little bit bigger than rise of the hutt cartel because RotHC did not start out with oricon or even cz-198 it did have TFB, TC, and i think SnV intially then got CZ-198 and the back end got DF and DP. Shadow of Revan if i am not mistaken did not actually get Yavin til mid Shadow of Revan or Ziost was kinda how they did the prelude to Kotfe. But in terms of expansion wise storyline i would say it is smaller than Kotfe, Kotet and Onslaught at release but with the features and changes it actually increases the size of the expansion in those terms. Swtor has never really had a massive amount of content poured all out at once in a expansion the closest we probably got was the 1st 9 chapters of kotfe and onslaught before we got Echoes of Oblivions which was delayed due to the virus almost 7-8 months from the time it was going to be released which would have given us more content between onslaught launch and 7.0.

Not saying its ideal and these cs additions they have been adding recently as way to add to the story are not a good way of doing storytelling but they do come out with time like we are probably going to get but they did say they are adding more to LotS throughout the life of it we just dont know how much more if we get the extent of patches like rothc and shadow of revan that would be good but it could be more like kotet with iokath and ossus i dont see use getting 2 planets added but i do see more flashpoints, maybe a 2nd raid after R-4 anomaly honestly another story about the size of Echoes or Ossus would be better just without all the bugs that came with Echoes.

If you are looking for expansions the size of FFXIV and WoW do thats never going to happen. We do get bigger expansions than DCUO but they actually spread out theirs where they may have it hidden up 3 a yr actually which tend to be a lot smaller than swtor's even is. Though DCUO's is not listed as expansions they are technically though by definition especially since they are consider DLC. Not saying I like swtor's expansion I am saying what we have been getting from bioware is actually pretty on par with what we have got since 1.0.

Why would they? Until the exclusivity license runs out at the end of the year, the majority of the cost is already sunk in.

They may make the decision this year depending on how 7.0 pans out (sigh) but they won't shut down the servers until the last minute even if they do decide to kill SWTOR off this year.

they wont! they knew in advance that the changes made would push away some players, reason why the new pack is under sub gating. They think they will attract new players with that formula.

Though, if actually its true that the game is seeing a lot of arrivals, the complaints even within the new comers are legion.

As us they complain on basic bugs never corrected since 10 years, as well as the perspective of grinding. The story is not enough to keep them

EA is bidding on that xpack, hoping for the best. This is not the first game to close because of a sudden loss of subs.

I do not wish to leave, i love it, but my heart is really sad seeing what is becoming.

I would say its probably a little bit bigger than rise of the hutt cartel

Unless they have some big surprises for us, what we are getting with LotS is smaller than RotHC by a wide margin. (Every expansion we've had has had content added in later patches, since we don't know what we are getting post 7.0, let's not count those.)

LotS:

1 Planet with 2 stories (assuming Imp & Pub are reasonably different).

1 Flashpoint.

RotHC:

1 Planet with 2 stories + Side quests + Heroics.

Macrobinocular & Seeker Droid quest series and dig sites.

GSI Dailies.

1 Operation SoV in 3 difficulty modes.

1 Operation Boss TC in 3 difficulty modes.

SoR:

2 Planets with 1 story inc. one class specific quest + Side quests.

2 Flashpoints.

2 Operations. Ravagers & ToS in 2 difficulty modes.

KotFE:

1 Planet with 9 chapters.

6 Star Fortresses.

15 Companion Recruitments

KotET:

2 Planets with 9 chapters in 3 difficulty modes. (Does Nathema count as a full planet? Bioware thinks so, I don't)

HM & MM difficulties added for 16 KotFE chapters.

5 Uprisings.

20 DvL World Bosses

Onslaught:

2 Planets 2 stories.

1 Flashpoint

1 Operation Dxun (Just SM?)

EA will keep swtor live while ever they make “x” percentage of profit from it. And unless we know what “x” is, and the operating costs, then it’s impossible to know if they will shutter the game this year or in 5 years. It will come down to how much profit they can continue to make after BioWare launches 7.0. Edited by TrixxieTriss

The question I'm curious about (in the event 7.0 craters, and EA decides SWTOR isn't making * enough * money), is who "owns" the game?

If Disney, then they can find another publisher. (Please not Daybreak). If EA (because they bought BW iinm), then they could sell the franchise / IP.

The issue (to me) isn't 7.0, it's when a better game Star Wars game comes out. (Now that the exclusivity license is gone).

FYI, a billion dollars over the course of the life of the game isn't that impressive. Blizzard made 1.86 B in sub money ALONE, back when they had 12 m subs.

The question I'm curious about (in the event 7.0 craters, and EA decides SWTOR isn't making * enough * money), is who "owns" the game?

If Disney, then they can find another publisher. (Please not Daybreak). If EA (because they bought BW iinm), then they could sell the franchise / IP.

The issue (to me) isn't 7.0, it's when a better game Star Wars game comes out. (Now that the exclusivity license is gone).

FYI, a billion dollars over the course of the life of the game isn't that impressive. Blizzard made 1.86 B in sub money ALONE, back when they had 12 m subs.

EA owns the particular product - the game itself, it's functional technology etc. They get to decide when/if they feel like shutting it down and if they feel like passing it to another developer/publisher (which they won't anyway). But Disney owns the Star Wars IP and they can decide to get another studio to literally remake the whole thing if they ever felt like it, or make a brand new MMO, they own the franchise. They got Aspyr to create KOTOR remake which is a part of a completly different company than Bioware/EA and no one had to ask Bioware or EA for permission.

tl;dr SWTOR's fate is in EA's hands but Disney decides if there will be another Star Wars MMO and who would develop it

Edited by Pietrastor

As I pointed out in another thread, after only a brief Google search, SWTOR averages 180-190K users per DAY. I don't know what percentage of those are subs, though. But if that translates into 100K active subs, that's $1.5 million per month. Hopefully, they do make some profit off that. 🤔

As I pointed out in another thread, after only a brief Google search, SWTOR averages 180-190K users per DAY. I don't know what percentage of those are subs, though. But if that translates into 100K active subs, that's $1.5 million per month. Hopefully, they do make some profit off that. 🤔

It’s already been pointed out that information isn’t accurate. Why do you keep using it as a source? It does little for your credibility to use inaccurate sources.