Returning player 9 years ago, Biggest grip with the game... GEAR/LEVEL

HectorCasan

Ok...

My expirience with the game has been super positive. I like that there seems to be lots of stuff to do and all.

But my biggest grip is that GEAR DOES NOT MATTER.

I am currently around 290.. yes i know that you gotta go all the way up to 306, and then RNG, and all. I actually dont have a problem with gearing.

Nor with the gear itself...

But with the fact that aside from being able to do arenas (as i need 306 gear to be able to do them).

Why should i care ?, why should anyone care ?, you get this super nice loot or drops. And then you are basically the same to all the content.

All the flashpoints i've been running, i am capped at around 100k HP. Whereas i have 230k ish..

Warzones, its a pvp template.

World PVP? (LOL), if any, its capped accordingly to the planet. So MAYBE there is a zone where stats are not capped? (Which one?), but everywhere where you could pvp, you dont only get gear capped, but also level capped.

The only place it seems to matter is arenas ? (which in fact is counter intuititve, because there i would probably prefer a fair challenge, whereas in warzones and World pvp, should be everyone's game)

SUGGESTIONS.

-Cap/Boost gear only on a list of flashpoints. Veteran/Master champions should be gear cap free (at least master, and Master should drop +5 ilevel to compensate)

-Get rid of the level squish on planets.

Now before you say, why would devs do that.

The current system, as it is, makes it so there is basically no incentive to gear, besides cosmetic. Why would i care having the most ****** armor in the galaxy, if random mob from initial planet can still kill me, or why would i be the most ******s sith lord if random Padawan on Tatooine can kill me with the same ease ?

It is counter intuitive with PROGRESSION... Core fundamental of an MMO....

It is a shame, because i think as it is, this is keeping me of seriously enjoying the game.

EDIT:

Btw i hate to do the wow reference, but i think when it comes to gear scaling /Level scaling, wow does it best, With things like Timewalking to be able to do old dungeons (i propose instead as it is now here), but then, gear/level is free in the open world, also on pvp.

The problem with wow gearing is not the gear cap, but the gear itself where each tier have huge ilevel difference, so if you get into a warzone, instead of being like a 20%/30%/40% difference on tiers, it end up being like 100%/200%/500% difference between a recently leveled 60 to a full latest patch geared player

Edited by HectorCasan

basic stats do not matter because you often hit hard caps on lower level content. Crit and Alacrity are the important stats that do not have such a lower cap (as is the set bonus).

It's not really until you start doing everything with high crit and alacrity that you notice the difference in gameplay for lower level content. It makes running a lot of content that you have done hundreds of times manageable without becoming a mind numbing trugery that takes forever.

Edited by illgot

basic stats do not matter because you often hit hard caps on lower level content. Crit and Alacrity are the important stats that do not have such a lower cap (as is the set bonus).

It's not really until you start doing everything with high crit and alacrity that you notice the difference in gameplay for lower level content. It makes running a lot of content that you have done hundreds of times manageable without becoming a mind numbing trugery that takes forever.

Yes but exactly.

There should be no caps. Or at least not on like 95% of the content.

The game is seriously lacking feeling of PROGRESSION.....

Critical and Alacrity will have caps in 7.0 and they are set very low, significantly inhibiting the strength of Sentinels and Marauders.

Critical and Alacrity will have caps in 7.0 and they are set very low, significantly inhibiting the strength of Sentinels and Marauders.

That just sucks ...

To be honest i really dont understand this whole floor/ceiling crap.. Its catering to the noobs (who play for a week and then drop aniways)

The current system, as it is, makes it so there is basically no incentive to gear, besides cosmetic. Why would i care having the most ****** armor in the galaxy, if random mob from initial planet can still kill me, or why would i be the most ******s sith lord if random Padawan on Tatooine can kill me with the same ease ?

If this is happening to you, then you're doing something very wrong. And it has nothing to do with gear. A lot has changed in the last 9 years with the game being only 10 years old; a lot to unlearn and re-learn. You can ask specific questions to get help with any challenges you're facing.

To begin with, you can right-click your companion's portrait and set them to heal you; any companion.

That just sucks ...

To be honest i really dont understand this whole floor/ceiling crap.. Its catering to the noobs (who play for a week and then drop aniways)

Yeah, you clearly aren't grasping the actual issue.

If they took the caps out, gear would be even more irrelevant because you are doing level 20, 30, or 40 content on a level 75 character: I soloed quite a few flash points* and world bosses before they put the caps in, and it was really sad...

Given that they need to keep old content somewhat relevant (they obviously don't have the resources to add enough 'top level' content in each expansion), Bioware only had three options:

1. Leave things as they were and watch bored endgame players devastate entire lowbie worlds,
  2. Develop some sort of complicated scaling system that adjusted content to your level but which would never work in 'open world' and would require group members to all be the same level for instanced content, or
  3. Set a cap for PC stats so they won't out-level the content to the point that grouping is no longer required for 'group content'

*Disclaimer: Back in my WoW days, I solo-farmed a couple of the old Zul'Gurub 20 man raid bosses every three days for about a year (never got the raptor to drop, but got two tigers I didn't particularly want): I only stopped when they removed the entire raid from the game, denying me my 'Night Elf Druid On A Live Raptor' (though I did get the skeletal version from archeology). Any game with progression will have issues with old content becoming easily farmed...

If they took the caps out, gear would be even more irrelevant because you are doing level 20, 30, or 40 content on a level 75 character: I soloed quite a few flash points* and world bosses before they put the caps in, and it was really sad...

Given that they need to keep old content somewhat relevant (they obviously don't have the resources to add enough 'top level' content in each expansion), Bioware only had three options:

1. Leave things as they were and watch bored endgame players devastate entire lowbie worlds,
  2. Develop some sort of complicated scaling system that adjusted content to your level but which would never work in 'open world' and would require group members to all be the same level for instanced content, or
  3. Set a cap for PC stats so they won't out-level the content to the point that grouping is no longer required for 'group content'

*Disclaimer: Back in my WoW days, I solo-farmed a couple of the old Zul'Gurub 20 man raid bosses every three days for about a year (never got the raptor to drop, but got two tigers I didn't particularly want): I only stopped when they removed the entire raid from the game, denying me my 'Night Elf Druid On A Live Raptor' (though I did get the skeletal version from archeology). Any game with progression will have issues with old content becoming easily farmed...

They can make the optional scaling optional. As it is there is NO PROGRESSION.

Also they can leave high level planets.

Scale up the difficulty, not us down.

There needs to be progression. As it is now, I get to gear up to 306, for what ? If the stats I have on Fleet are never the stats I am on the content....

If this is happening to you, then you're doing something very wrong. And it has nothing to do with gear. A lot has changed in the last 9 years with the game being only 10 years old; a lot to unlearn and re-learn. You can ask specific questions to get help with any challenges you're facing.

To begin with, you can right-click your companion's portrait and set them to heal you; any companion.

I see you could not take hyperbole and took it way too literal.

And what's the problem of number 1 ?. If its pvp just make it optional like Warmode on/off.. I think this is already on game. Also put level 75 elite guards on the major bases.

But seriously, this capping go against MMO BASICS 101...

Your character needs to get more powerful everytime. Here in this game. You just don't. You get higher level gear and bigger stats. But as soon as you try to do content outside of a small box (arenas and hard ops) you are a weakling again...

How can ANYONE be ok with this ??

I'm sorry if I'm so pationate about my position. This is just sadly ruining the game for me. And it's sad cos I'm otherwise enjoying it. (At least for now pre 7.0)

Edited by HectorCasan

They have to do level scaling because there isn't enough high level content. End of the story.

But gear makes a noticeable difference - try to solo veteran star fortress with 274 gear and come back and tell us how it worked for you.

Yes but exactly.

There should be no caps. Or at least not on like 95% of the content.

The game is seriously lacking feeling of PROGRESSION.....

So getting a new ability that makes killing enemies faster while doing your story isn't progression?

The game doesn't want to burden leveling players with gearing, hence why they just have the green arrow up. However, after that gearing does matter. You pvp? Better make sure your power is correct. Just do legacy content? Just make sure it is hitting the cap on said content and focus on crit/alacrity interplay. Some classes need higher alacrity for better procs, IO merc for example, so you have less crit.

This is actually why I hate the "if you want the game to be harder just take off your gear" argument when people bring up story content difficulty. Some classes don't "work" right if your gear is wrong, so you have to at least have your enhancements in your gear. So now I have to have a "story" set with just enhancements?

Seriously though, try to run harder solo content with worse gear, it doesn't bode well. *cough* master mode chapters *cough*

So getting a new ability that makes killing enemies faster while doing your story isn't progression?

The game doesn't want to burden leveling players with gearing, hence why they just have the green arrow up. However, after that gearing does matter. You pvp? Better make sure your power is correct. Just do legacy content? Just make sure it is hitting the cap on said content and focus on crit/alacrity interplay. Some classes need higher alacrity for better procs, IO merc for example, so you have less crit.

This is actually why I hate the "if you want the game to be harder just take off your gear" argument when people bring up story content difficulty. Some classes don't "work" right if your gear is wrong, so you have to at least have your enhancements in your gear. So now I have to have a "story" set with just enhancements?

Seriously though, try to run harder solo content with worse gear, it doesn't bode well. *cough* master mode chapters *cough*

Yes but thats about it.

There is only a minor bump because of tertiary skills. And if you want your content harder, just put higher difficulties in the game... but making us weak isnt the way to go

They have to do level scaling because there isn't enough high level content. End of the story.

But gear makes a noticeable difference - try to solo veteran star fortress with 274 gear and come back and tell us how it worked for you.

It is still a design flaw. No matter if its a workaround of another bigger problem of lack of resources.

Yes but thats about it.

There is only a minor bump because of tertiary skills. And if you want your content harder, just put higher difficulties in the game... but making us weak isnt the way to go

Just going to bring up the dynamic level scaling idea again... It would be a lot of work to do full on difficulty modes for the leveling content, so I do think that just having a slide that lets you push down your main 3 stats further but maintain your tertiary stats is the best solution for relatively "little" work. However, considering they ripped out ALL the level sync code in 7.0 and replaced it with new code, it might be a better experience when doing the story beats. (Only really messed with leveling through the prologue on pts)