Gearing system 6.0 versus 7.0

Darittha

Been playing since 2011 and ive always disliked how best gear was locked behind Nightmare operations where pretty much just a small niche of players can/will reach.

When we got Unassembled components i was ecstatic because i could finally get my hands on great gear even with my own playstyle of doing lot of heroics, flashpoints, story mode operations basically mix of easy-medium content.

However Unassembled component pricing was such that it was next to impossible to equip alt characters without spending however many stacks of 9,999 components i had saved up.

Then came 6.0. and with it the best gearing ever - everything, no matter what person did slowly progressed my gear level until i finally reached 306 rating upon which i could start customizing from countless options and indeed 6.0 was the time when ive most enjoyed the game, meticulously working to gear up and properly equip and augment muiltiple alts to perfection. Though i think about halfway into 6.0 new vendor shouldve been introduced to sell precise mods at 5-10 times the Tech Fragment price of the Takanna RNG vendor sells her mods for.

Now with 7.0.

All this freedom of gearing through any activity, all the freedom of min/maxing stats through mods, enhancements, etc. is being removed and for what? Gearing system that is akin to the old Unassembled component system, but worse, far more restricting and unmodable! unless youre the niche of the niche Nightmare ops player? I seriously question the sanity of whoever pushed this bastardized gearing through and thought it was a good idea. Its gearing restrictions across the board, i dont even know what to think about it how monumentally hindering it feels when we know the freedom we have now with current 6.0 system and the expansion isnt even up yet.

(and please spare me of the comments like: you dont play Nightmare ops, u dont need the best gear. Everything ingame is affected by gear and no matter what activity you do, gear differences are felt even through level sync so everything feels more rewarding when you put work into getting the gear in the first place.)

If i had the power, i would instantly scrap whole 7.0 gearing idea and instead keep the best ever 6.0 gearing that we currently have now and improve that with the mod-specific vendor.

Edited by Darittha

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7.0 is a perfect example of how BW "fixes" issues - instead of a simple change to fix what they don't like, they change everything.

Example - CQ. They don't like inflation so they are removing credit rewards and doubling CQ goals (what does that have to do with inflation?) and removing solid resource matrixes (which don't even generate money and actually helped players with fewer credits get more by selling them).

They don't like the RNG factor in 6.0, so they decided to completely change the system and give us all the same gear and make it upgradable. I mean, they could just have got rid of the RNG system but still give us a way to mod our gear or at least give APPROPRIATE stats for every spec. I don't know how legendaries will work but again, they could just have focused on USEFUL bonuses for each class.

I mean, I'm glad RNG is gone but... really? My biggest gripe is that it's going to take forever to gear my alts now because I don't think I will get any gear as drops as a soloer and I'll have to upgrade every single piece for every single character from scratch (I have no desire to waste 5 minutes switching gear every time I want to play another character. It's STUPID).

They could have made a fantastic loot system by fixing 6.0 but instead gave us a system that nobody wants.

6.0 gearing sucked donkey balls because of the extensive RNG everywhere. (You even hint at that by proposing the vendor for specific mod-objects rather than relying on RNG ones.) 5.X wasn't ideal, but significantly less sucky than 6.X.

i was fine with RNG, but over time mod-specific vendor shouldve been added since by that time many ppl wouldve managed to get all the way up to 306 rating.

the initial RNG before you get up to 306 and some time after thats not really a problem at all, even if you consider it one, it would be one single small catch in otherwise great gearing system and which would possibly get later mended if they had introduced mod-specific vendor.

if you have RNG then youre gonna love 7.0 with commendation cap at 600 (three conquests worth only). and having to gear up everything in person(unassembled component style).

Edited by Darittha

The amount of RNG in 6.0 was bad. Having dozens of differently labelled mods and RNG based amplifiers was annoying, but fixable.

Being able to play anything you want and still get full set bonuses and best in slot gear was amazing. Casual players could enjoy powering up their characters and if they suddenly decided to play operations, they weren't gatekept by bad gear and could use the over levelled gear to get a head-start.

All 7.0 needed to do was remove some of the RNG and add more set bonuses/legendary items + tacticals. Instead, they're rerolling the global gear system and shifting their philosophy once again towards a niche part of the community. I'm not looking forward to it.

The new gearing and re-scaling of the game terrifies me, because higher gear 300+ helped me have a safety net if my fingers froze in the middle of a fight. With this new green static Conquest gear it's entirely possible that the whole game will play like the OG version of SoV FP in Story Mode!

What really bothers me is that there's no information on whether when you reach 326 if we can upgrade to prototype , artifact, or legendary quality!

If we can then maybe I have hope. But if not, well... Let's just say that I believe the system's design team could use some encouragement to see their paying customers as allies rather than serfs.

i was fine with RNG, but over time mod-specific vendor shouldve been added since by that time many ppl wouldve managed to get all the way up to 306 rating.

the initial RNG before you get up to 306 and some time after thats not really a problem at all, even if you consider it one, it would be one single small catch in otherwise great gearing system and which would possibly get later mended if they had introduced mod-specific vendor.

if you have RNG then youre gonna love 7.0 with commendation cap at 600 (three conquests worth only). and having to gear up everything in person(unassembled component style).

The worst RNG was for set pieces dropping in boxes, especially in the guild CQ boxes - always got junk set pieces except Death Knell and Tacticians. Other classes/specs? JUNK.

The new gearing and re-scaling of the game terrifies me, because higher gear 300+ helped me have a safety net if my fingers froze in the middle of a fight. With this new green static Conquest gear it's entirely possible that the whole game will play like the OG version of SoV FP in Story Mode!

What really bothers me is that there's no information on whether when you reach 326 if we can upgrade to prototype , artifact, or legendary quality!

If we can then maybe I have hope. But if not, well... Let's just say that I believe the system's design team could use some encouragement to see their paying customers as allies rather than serfs.

See the bright side, you can unsubscribe and you won't see a difference without artifact authorization!

I will not unsub if I can physically do the content I enjoy without unreasonable strain in my hands. While I do not appreciate the new gearing system and the latest mess with the Combat Styles is disappointing, (I really hate having to re-roll my JK so I can get rid of being a Sentinel) if I can still do what I love, I'm happy to pay for it. I understand and agree that if the game isn't making a person happy then un-subbing is warranted, but I'm not there yet.

Agreed, I have no idea why they decided to experiment with this outdated design philosophy of "raiders are special and everyone else gets inferior gear".

Obviously it isnt as terribad as WoW where casual players are treated as 4th class citizens and their best gear literally requires months of grind and is 30 ilvls below max but if it is heading there its a problem.

I honestly didnt mind the RNG, though RNG has been demonized by many mmorpgs players who often just follow what their l33t streamers tell them and end up passionately hating something that doesnt really affect them. My main issue with 6.0 gearing was how fast it was, you could get geared within a few weeks.

I like the gear grind and would prefer to last a little longer, the only thing that truly took a while was amplifiers and that was mainly for the ultra rich. And they could have simply slowed down gear acquisition to fix that.

Anyway I just hope this becomes a failed experiment and they return back to letting everyone have access to max gear by doing whatever content they enjoy and is reasonable to expect people to do due to lack of barriers so any qued content. But OPS are not a reasonable expectation since historically only a minority bother with raidings, especially in swtor who was a game that focuses on story and casual content, not wow.

But OPS are not a reasonable expectation since historically only a minority bother with raidings, especially in swtor who was a game that focuses on story and casual content, not wow.

Literally the only reasonable thing I can think of is that they're trying to get more people to sub because you need to be subbed to play operations. Meanwhile we've had what, two new operations in 5 years? I also hope that this becomes another failed gearing experiment and we go to a mix of" less RNG" that we're getting with 7.0 and the "play your way" we have had in 6.0.

I minded the RNG! Especially with the crafting and constantly getting Alacrity when I needed accuracy and crit. Did the 6.0 System need fixing? YES! Did it need trashing? No. instead of developing new armor currencies (why not straight credits) and torching every alternate path, they could have spent more time the playable content.

I have a feeling most players are going to absolutely hate these changes including myself, I'll be honest I was content with 6.0 gearing.

I am quite worried about it, not because of the changes but because of how much less loot we ll be getting.

If we go from killing a boss and getting 3-4 items to sometimes not even get a piece of gear, that is gonna piss off a lot of people because suddenly loot is very scarce.

WoW literally tried that in their latest xpac and their loot was never generous, yet the problem was so bad many people left and the devs had to buff loot rates.

Swtor is in a far worse position because people are used to getting a ton of rewards from all content, if content suddenly becomes barely rewarding it will feel terrible to play because it ll feel like you are wasting time because you got nothing useful out of it.

in 6.0 even if the gear you got was bad you could always scrap for tech fragments so you never truly wasted your time.

I am quite worried about it, not because of the changes but because of how much less loot we ll be getting.

If we go from killing a boss and getting 3-4 items to sometimes not even get a piece of gear, that is gonna piss off a lot of people because suddenly loot is very scarce.

WoW literally tried that in their latest xpac and their loot was never generous, yet the problem was so bad many people left and the devs had to buff loot rates.

Swtor is in a far worse position because people are used to getting a ton of rewards from all content, if content suddenly becomes barely rewarding it will feel terrible to play because it ll feel like you are wasting time because you got nothing useful out of it.

in 6.0 even if the gear you got was bad you could always scrap for tech fragments so you never truly wasted your time.

Well so far I don't think we know what will drop off flashpoint bosses but yeah, if nothing drops, it's going to be extremely disappointing.

And people said that renown was useless but gosh we got so many fragments disintegrating that gear... Now we're just going to be stuck at 80 and get nothing.

I really HATE the change.

6.0 gearing was poo poo, rng based, countless items like a minigame you have your inventory full clustered with junk you have no need for. Got tiresome seeing all that pointless junk when you hit 306 and have to micromanage your inventory. No proper feeling of progression, no feeling of being rewarded for harder more challenging content. No need to do anything but stay in your little bubble and safe space, no need to explore and play different types of things they have created for us to use, yeah it may make you uncomfortable at first but you will meet some really cool people and do some really cool things you might have not done otherwise when 7.0 temps you to venture even further.

7.0 Gearing is much better. You can still get the gear you want playing anything you want, nothing is stopping you from mix and matching gear from different objectives. No more RNG, get what YOU want. More feeling of proper progression and earning better gear for harder content investment. If you don't want to raid you don't have to at all, that gear won't be needed for the content you are doing and neither in pvp. Mix and matching will get the stats you want you don't need moddable gear unless you want that extra .5% dps, boo hoo.

Edited by SaerethDL

7.0 Gearing is much better. You can still get the gear you want playing anything you want

No you arent, you either do OPS or you dont get to have max gear rating gear or moddable gear.

It is quite literally the opposite of "get gear you want playing anything you want" because the system treats everyone else as second class citizens while only raiders get to have good gear.

And you dont need max rating gear for raid either, you just want it so you can feel special while hurting everyone else's gear progression.

Hopefully this gear experiment crushes and burns and we return to something similar to 6.0 with just slower progression that is FAIR and doesnt treat certain groups as special.

Edited by ralphieceaser

No you arent, you either do OPS or you dont get to have max gear rating gear or moddable gear.

It is quite literally the opposite of "get gear you want playing anything you want" because the system treats everyone else as second class citizens while only raiders get to have good gear.

And you dont need max rating gear for raid either, you just want it so you can feel special while hurting everyone else's gear progression.

Hopefully this gear experiment crushes and burns and we return to something similar to 6.0 with just slower progression that is FAIR and doesnt treat certain groups as special.

you don't need either, you can mix and match gear to do the content you like, and get the stats you like within 1-5%. I don't raid so no I don't need the highest level gear, they need it to help carry people through really challenging scenarios besides letting you companion heal you as you blast down your enemies in 3 shots lul. You DO NOT need that armor and you know you don't, you just want it because now society expects to be handed everything everyone else can easily get like a participation trophy and swtor has spoiled you in that sense.

swtor has spoiled you in that sense.

Au contraire, raiders have been spoiled because many mmorpgs have followed the outdated design philosophy of treating them as some form of special group that deserves more than everyone else while in reality, raiders arent even doing the hardest content because ranked pvp will always be harder than any scripted predictable boss.

Raiders have been spoiled by mmorpgs that treat casuals as fourth class citizens and give them inferior rewards just so raiders get to feel special. To the point that right now you refuse to acknowledge that what you are asking, is literally to be treated special at the expense of everyone else.

You cannot even see how selfish and unfair what you demand is because you ve been taught that is normal even though everyone else who doesnt get to be treated as special can see how unjust and wrong the very design philosophy is.

Au contraire, raiders have been spoiled because many mmorpgs have followed the outdated design philosophy of treating them as some form of special group that deserves more than everyone else while in reality, raiders arent even doing the hardest content because ranked pvp will always be harder than any scripted predictable boss.

Raiders have been spoiled by mmorpgs that treat casuals as fourth class citizens and give them inferior rewards just so raiders get to feel special. To the point that right now you refuse to acknowledge that what you are asking, is literally to be treated special at the expense of everyone else.

You cannot even see how selfish and unfair what you demand is because you ve been taught that is normal even though everyone else who doesnt get to be treated as special can see how unjust and wrong the very design philosophy is.

The harder you work for something, the more/better your rewards are. It's basic life principals. It's literally the definition of progression

, noun

the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state.

"the normal progression from junior to senior status"

"Oh yay I did this really challenging content and I got the same gear/reward this new player does that hasn't done anything outside of story mode, oh and to top it off he doesn't even make use of that gear!". 6.0 in a nutshell

The whole you thinking they think raiders are superior to everyone else is all in your head, raiders are just the last form of progression, it's literally the goal , the hook, the line, the sinker, it's the staple in 90% of every video game ever made (progression). Pvp, Raiding, are the end game. They are the final form of what your character strives to be, they are why you need that gear and that sense of reward. If you don't understand that, then ok.

Like I said its YOU that wants/thinks you should be handed everything that everyone else gets without participating or challenging yourself. Thats YOU, thats society right now, and IMO it's wrong... its unrewarding, uninspiring, and teaches people not to shrive to become something more.

I'm not being unfair to anyone, like I said, I don't raid anymore.

Edited by SaerethDL

"Oh yay I did this really challenging content and I got the same gear/reward this new player does that hasn't done anything outside of story mode, oh and to top it off he doesn't even make use of that gear!". 6.0 in a nutshell.

If I may respectfully disagree with this one part. (I am not a raider hater) As someone with Cerebral Palsy I found having 300+ gear to be a wonderful experience. If my fingers tightened up, or I hit a wrong key, I could take the time to rest my hands and regroup. I do not speak for all disabled people or even all people with Cerebral Palsy as no two cases are ever the same. But that gear made my physical experience better, and with the new system I feel gutted.

If I may respectfully disagree with this one part. (I am not a raider hater) As someone with Cerebral Palsy I found having 300+ gear to be a wonderful experience. If my fingers tightened up, or I hit a wrong key, I could take the time to rest my hands and regroup. I do not speak for all disabled people or even all people with Cerebral Palsy as no two cases are ever the same. But that gear made my physical experience better, and with the new system I feel gutted.

I know about you man, you are an outlier, and collateral damage. I'd gladly sacrifice a sense of meaningful progression again and unsub again, if it meant you can play.

The harder you work for something, the more/better your rewards are. It's basic life principals. It's literally the definition of progression

, noun

the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state.

"the normal progression from junior to senior status"

"Oh yay I did this really challenging content and I got the same gear/reward this new player does that hasn't done anything outside of story mode, oh and to top it off he doesn't even make use of that gear!". 6.0 in a nutshell

The whole you thinking they think raiders are superior to everyone else is all in your head, raiders are just the last form of progression, it's literally the goal , the hook, the line, the sinker, it's the staple in 90% of every video game ever made (progression). Pvp, Raiding, are the end game. They are the final form of what your character strives to be, they are why you need that gear and that sense of reward. If you don't understand that, then ok.

Like I said its YOU that wants/thinks you should be handed everything that everyone else gets without participating or challenging yourself. Thats YOU, thats society right now, and IMO it's wrong... its unrewarding, uninspiring, and teaches people not to shrive to become something more.

I'm not being unfair to anyone, like I said, I don't raid anymore.

PvPers (not me) have entered the room.

"You were saying?"

You think raiding is the hardest? I'd say PvP is significantly harder, as the enemies aren't scripted. Maybe I'm crazy like that.

Oh, is it time invested?

I guarantee I've put more time (and $$) into crafting than you or any raider doing NiM ops the past month. GUARANTEE.