Why am i getting dark side points when i am light?

HumanCatalogue

What you're asking about there is actually the Light Vs. Dark Side War feature that is tracking the overall alignment of everyone playing on the server at that time.

There will be times when the Dark Side is winning; and there will be times when the Light Side is winning. Whichever side reaches 5 on the alignment scale, is declared the winner, and goes into the Victory state that lasts one hour. During that time, if you've got a character at level 70, you'll want to check what the daily activity is for Galactic Command, and earn double Command EXP and Light [or Dark] Side Tokens (that you can save up and use at a special Vendor; there's one for Light Side and one for Dark Side on the Fleet).

• 3 months later...
This does not answer the question "Why am I getting Dark Side Points FOR EVERYTHING". There are no posts but it is broken "BROKEN"!!!!!!!

P.S. I am not a new player

Because your alignment knob is set to Dark. If you haven't touched it, that tells me you're on an Imperial character, or maybe one that was really previously more dark than light.

The Alignment Knob often hides half behind the minimap, but can be moved using the Interface Editor.

And of course the Interface Editor doesn't call it the "Alignment Knob".

Because your alignment knob is set to Dark. If you haven't touched it, that tells me you're on an Imperial character, or maybe one that was really previously more dark than light.

The Alignment Knob often hides half behind the minimap, but can be moved using the Interface Editor.

And of course the Interface Editor doesn't call it the "Alignment Knob".

Toggle, rather than knob?

It's a horizontal rectangle roughly the size of two icons on your quickbars. As SteveTheCynic says, it can often be hidden behind the Minimap. so you need to use the interface editor ( cog icon) and locate it, " ALIGNMENT TOGGLE" ( YELLOW) then you can drag it around to somewhere accessible) Once you close the interface editor, you can click on the blue star for lightside or Red triangle for dark side. This will make most things you do in game earn points for that side of he force.

If you have diplomacy as one of your crew-skills, you can earn light or dark points depending on the mission. IIRC there is an alignment icon beside each one. - So select one to reflect your alignment choice.

The long bar that appears when the light or darkside grows stronger simply reflects the choices made by everyone playing on your server at that time.

see also: Dulfy's guide

Edited by Storm-Cutter

If you have diplomacy as one of your crew-skills, you can earn light or dark points depending on the mission. IIRC there is an alignment icon beside each one. - So select one to reflect your alignment choice.

There *is* an alignment icon beside each Diplomacy mission, but ...

* All Diplomacy missions give AKPs and DAPs. That is, Alignment Knob Points and Diplomacy Alignment Points.

* AKPs are determined by the grade of the mission (for quantity) and the position of the Alignment Knobtogglethingy (for light versus dark).

* DAPs are determined by the grade of the mission (for quantity) and nature of the mission (light versus dark). Missions where your companion must steal stuff, lie to people, and so on will give dark DAPs, while missions where they save people, heal the sick, lead the blind, and so on will give light DAPs.

* For any specific mission, on a "normal" success, you will get slightly more AKPs than DAPs.

* For any specific mission, on a "critical" success, you will get twice as many DAPs as normal, but the AKPs are not changed.

* It is possible for the AKPs and DAPs to be in conflict. If this happens, you get both kinds of points.

*The alignment icon USED TO show the DAP type (light/dark) because back then there were no AKPs anywhere, but now it shows the AKP type.

* If you point the mouse at the alignment icon, you'll see a tooltip appear with the number of dark and light points you'll get for a normal success.

Note the red text above.

• 4 years later...
Toggle, rather than knob?

It's a horizontal rectangle roughly the size of two icons on your quickbars. As SteveTheCynic says, it can often be hidden behind the Minimap. so you need to use the interface editor ( cog icon) and locate it, " ALIGNMENT TOGGLE" ( YELLOW) then you can drag it around to somewhere accessible) Once you close the interface editor, you can click on the blue star for lightside or Red triangle for dark side. This will make most things you do in game earn points for that side of he force.

The long bar that appears when the light or darkside grows stronger simply reflects the choices made by everyone playing on your server at that time.

see also: Dulfy's guide

1st...how is this still a thing :(

2nd, no, it show mission give light side, but i still get 88 pts for doing any of the light side grade 11 diplomacy missions

keep losing my PURE title which is annoying

1st...how is this still a thing :(

2nd, no, it show mission give light side, but i still get 88 pts for doing any of the light side grade 11 diplomacy missions

keep losing my PURE title which is annoying

Read *my* post which explains how to use Diplomacy missions. Really. I'll repeat it for you:

There *is* an alignment icon beside each Diplomacy mission, but ...

* All Diplomacy missions give AKPs and DAPs. That is, Alignment Knob Points and Diplomacy Alignment Points.

* AKPs are determined by the grade of the mission (for quantity) and the position of the Alignment Knobtogglethingy (for light versus dark).

* DAPs are determined by the grade of the mission (for quantity) and nature of the mission (light versus dark). Missions where your companion must steal stuff, lie to people, and so on will give dark DAPs, while missions where they save people, heal the sick, lead the blind, and so on will give light DAPs.

* For any specific mission, on a "normal" success, you will get slightly more AKPs than DAPs.

* For any specific mission, on a "critical" success, you will get twice as many DAPs as normal, but the AKPs are not changed.

* It is possible for the AKPs and DAPs to be in conflict. If this happens, you get both kinds of points.

*The alignment icon USED TO show the DAP type (light/dark) because back then there were no AKPs anywhere, but now it shows the AKP type.

* If you point the mouse at the alignment icon, you'll see a tooltip appear with the number of dark and light points you'll get for a normal success.

Note the red text above.

The key point is that Diplomacy missions have a "theme" (as noted above, the distinction between "lying, cheating and stealing" (Dark) and "saving people, healing the sick and leading the blind" (Light)). They give points according to the theme *as*well*as* according to the Alignment Toggle. If the theme aligns with the toggle, cool, you advance, but it they are in conflict, you get that packet of Dark points. If you have doubts, follow the advice I highlighted in red above.

Read *my* post which explains how to use Diplomacy missions. Really. I'll repeat it for you:

The key point is that Diplomacy missions have a "theme" (as noted above, the distinction between "lying, cheating and stealing" (Dark) and "saving people, healing the sick and leading the blind" (Light)). They give points according to the theme *as*well*as* according to the Alignment Toggle. If the theme aligns with the toggle, cool, you advance, but it they are in conflict, you get that packet of Dark points. If you have doubts, follow the advice I highlighted in red above.

They changed that a long time ago, now Diplomacy gives whatever alignment points you are set to same as all missions. I even double checked. For example, there is one mission where some refugees are being denied asylum and you send your companion to argue their case... for my Dark Side aligned character it's DS (as are ALL her Diplomacy missions) I even used that when I was leveling her to keep her neutral despite doing al Light Side Decisions as she's a light side sorcerer but I wanted the neutral name in story and now I have her set to DS even though she makes LS decisions, as the intent is for it to be the way it should be, the fact that she's making lightside decisions doesn't offset the fact that she's killing people with lightning.

• 2 weeks later...
They changed that a long time ago, now Diplomacy gives whatever alignment points you are set to same as all missions. I even double checked. For example, there is one mission where some refugees are being denied asylum and you send your companion to argue their case... for my Dark Side aligned character it's DS (as are ALL her Diplomacy missions)

The alignment *icon* shows whatever your Alignment Toggle is set to (ever since 5.0 introduced the toggle). The points given depend (still) on the nature of the mission *and* on the toggle, and you *still* get both kinds of points if they are in conflict.

EDIT: And if you pick one that advertises mixed (in-conflict) points in the tooltip belonging to the alignment icon on a Diplomacy mission, you do, indeed, get both points, Light then Dark (so your Light V character who does a mixed Dip mission loses Light V until the dark points are burned off). (Er, just confirmed in-game.)

Edited by SteveTheCynic