An in-depth look at: Lightsabers

Aurbere

Windu was using Vaapad to block his lightning, and the book made it quite explicit that it was him who was being overpowered, not his lightsaber's magnetic field.

Noting that lightning has never been shown to short out a lightsaber before.

In short, there is no evidence to support this.

He was using Vaapad to redirect the lighting back at Sidious and the saber itself to block it and in the process of doing this, the saber was bending. This shows that the lighting was strong enough to over power the magnetic field since it is that field that keeps the saber straight.

So, if Sidious could have managed to keep out putting that much power and continued to bend the blade, it is very likely that it would have caused the field to short out and the blade to "break".

He was using Vaapad to redirect the lighting back at Sidious and the saber itself to block it and in the process of doing this, the saber was bending. This shows that the lighting was strong enough to over power the magnetic field since it is that field that keeps the saber straight.

So, if Sidious could have managed to keep out putting that much power and continued to bend the blade, it is very likely that it would have caused the field to short out and the blade to "break".

When they said bending back, I don't actually think they mean the blade was bending in half (as blades have never been shown to do that) but bending back in the sense it was being pushed back towards his face - reinforced by the fact that he was "choking on ozone" because the blade was too close to him.

Nor do I think it works in that way, if the magnetic field failed or began to fail the lightsaber would just short out, not turn into some wavy plasma whip. And again, when have lightsabers being shorted out by lightning?

I think all in all there is a lot more evidence to suggest a Force-based connection between Jedi and weapon, which allows for the concept of tutanimis given that the blade is an extension of the Jedi himself.

Which also explains why Windu could use Vaapad with his lightsaber in the first place.

EDIT: Kenobi does know tutanimis by the way, and has used it.

Edited by Beniboybling

Again, this isn't a topic that has been heavily explored, only hinted at. We've seen lightsabers disrupted by certain materials (cortosis, phrik, Mandalorian Iron, Ultrachrome, and certain bones), we've seen lightsabers bend under the pressure of Palpatine's Force lightning.

It's a matter of physics, I suppose, and that's something I can't comment on. :o

Red Lightsaber Crystals can actually stop Jedi Sabers from working, I think.... Pretty sure it's in Jedi vs Sith, essential guide to the force...

You have to remember what a litghtsaber is, it's plasma contained within a magnetic field. It's that magnetic field that allows it to repel lightning, blaster shots, and other sabers for that matter.

Obi-wan used his blade simply because there is no indication in lore that he knew the Tutaminis technique. So he wasn't using the blade to block to empower the blade, but he did it simply because it was the only measure open to him.

As for Sidious and Mace, you are somewhat right, but once again it was just mechanics. Sidious's lighting was powerful enough that prolonged exposure to it start to short out the magnetic field.

Obi Wan knew Tutaminis, just throwing a saber up has been shown in many cases to not work, because Lightning has been shown to knock blades out of hands....

Red Lightsaber Crystals can actually stop Jedi Sabers from working, I think.... Pretty sure it's in Jedi vs Sith, essential guide to the force...

Yup, went and double checked, Red Crystals can cause a lightsaber to short circuit apparently...

Certain red synthetic crystals can also cease to function if the user is sufficiently steeped in the dark side...

Do you mean Isn't? Because i'm pretty sure it said Red Synthetic Crystals need to be imbued with the power of the Dark Side to not shatter and detonate...

Do you mean Isn't? Because i'm pretty sure it said Red Synthetic Crystals need to be imbued with the power of the Dark Side to not shatter and detonate...

According to the "Essential Guide To Warfare:" Here is a quote:

"The Sith have traditionally used light sabers that produce red blades, usually made with synthetic crystals. Jedi lore holds that red crystals are less stable than green and blue ones - but have an advantage that offsets this weakness. Whether natural or synthetic, red crystals glow in harmonic vibration when energized by the dark side of the Force and sometimes produce spasms in the arced plasma of the blade that can disrupt another saber's blade. Thus, the very instability of red crystals requires the wielder of a Sith saber to remain attuned to the dark side during combat, both for possible advantage and to keep his or her weapon operating."

I hope that helps.

I would also like to point out in my previous comments about what light saber hilts were made of ---

In Obi-Wan Kenobi's fight with Jango Fett, Obi-Wan temperarily lost his light saber. Also in Episode 3, on Utapau, Obi-Wan lost his light saber when the Varactyl he was riding bucked. In both cases, the noise of the light saber hitting the floor/ground made a plastic sound, which leads me to believe that the shell of a light saber hilt, particularly Obi-Wan's could have been made of "Plasteel," a dense polymer that has the toughness of steel or possibly "Durasteel," a light weight, but very strong metal.

I know I mentioned and acknowledged that hilts were made of whatever materials that could be found, but I wished to indicate that, prior to the Jedi purge, while materials were still widely available and plentiful, light saber hilts could have been made of light weight and very durable metals or polymers (plastics). Thank you.

I would also like to point out in my previous comments about what light saber hilts were made of ---

In Obi-Wan Kenobi's fight with Jango Fett, Obi-Wan temperarily lost his light saber. Also in Episode 3, on Utapau, Obi-Wan lost his light saber when the Varactyl he was riding bucked. In both cases, the noise of the light saber hitting the floor/ground made a plastic sound, which leads me to believe that the shell of a light saber hilt, particularly Obi-Wan's could have been made of "Plasteel," a dense polymer that has the toughness of steel or possibly "Durasteel," a light weight, but very strong metal.

I know I mentioned and acknowledged that hilts were made of whatever materials that could be found, but I wished to indicate that, prior to the Jedi purge, while materials were still widely available and plentiful, light saber hilts could have been made of light weight and very durable metals or polymers (plastics). Thank you.

Ah, I see.