Help! SWTOR is slowing my entire PC down!

Victros

UPDATE: I installed the client from Steam, and it's working fine. I have no idea why. I didn't change anything on my PC. LOL...

Every time I install and run SWTOR (main website client download, not Steam), something very odd happens to my desktop. The case fans spool up, the whole PC bogs down, everything loads slowly, and I keep getting the little, spinning icon by my mouse pointer. This happens even after I shut the game down. There are no error messages or crashes. The only fix I've found is to uninstall and reboot the computer. My PC is a mid-range gaming rig from a couple of years ago, I have checked for viruses, and I don't have this problem with any of the other games I play, including MMOs. Any idea of what the issue might be? Why is SWTOR, specifically, causing this?

I don't even have to get in-game to have the issues start, just to the loading screen. I have tried changing the res to 1440 and 1080.

EDIT

System Specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

16 GB memory

I7 8700 3.2 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070

Thanks!

Edited by Victros

Could you provide further information such as your operating system, CPU, graphic card, how much operating memory your computer has, etc? Unfortunately, 'a mid-range gaming rig from a couple of years ago' doesn't give us a much to work from to figure out what the problem might be.

Open Task Manager once SWTOR is down and see what's running. You'll have to switch to the detailed view. Clock the CPU usage column to bring the "busy" stuff to the top.

And if you live somewhere very dusty, clean the dust out of the interior of the PC, especially from fans and heatsinks. My preferred tool for this is an old toothbrush that you aren't going to use as a toothbrush any more(1). Let it dry thoroughly, and then brush off all the accumulated dust from fans, heatsinks, and so on.

(1) It could be a new soft toothbrush, but either way, it isn't going to be a toothbrush after you use it for this job. Think about what's *in* household dust. (The least offensive component is also the majority of what's in it, dead human skin cells. It goes rapidly downhill from there.)

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled SWTOR? About the only thing I can think of is that there's something corrupted in the installation.

Either that or there's some sort of driver problem. Do you have the latest drivers for all your hardware - audio, chipset, etc - not just the graphics driver?

Edited by JediQuaker