Attn Bioware: Steps to improving the quality, enjoyment and participation in pvp

TrixxieTriss

Bioware, here are a set of steps or a road map for improving pvp in this game. They don’t include ranked, but the benefits would flow into ranked if more people were playing reg pvp and enjoying it.

The lockout and the win/loss change has driven down the player numbers in pvp (from my perspective, maybe your numbers tell a different story?). It’s a failed experiment in its current form and needs to be changed and improved if you want to keep these sort of mechanisms in place. The fundamental problem is you’ve sucked the enjoyment out of pvp.

1. Allow players some sort of choice with map type. Wether that’s direct choice or allowing some maps to be unticked.

2. Allow players who back fill the opportunity to leave without penalty or reward back fillers with a win even if they lose.

3. Change the win/loss back to a points system, but increase the ratio to 3:1 or 4:1. You can even increase the number to complete the weekly to 20.

4. Reward more tech frags for pvp (across the board)

5. Drop gear that is always atleast at or above your irating and not below (if you aren’t going to increase the amount of rewards)

6. Allow pvpers a dedicated route to obtain BiS sets for pvp that don’t require doing pve operations or playing RNG lotto at Kai.

7. Get rid of the lockout in lowbies

8. Add a small amount of tech frags as a reward for doing lowbie pvp

9. Improve the technology so the queue knows if you were disconnected or lagged badly enough that you get bumped out of the match. You shouldn’t get a 15min lock out for that and most other games don’t do it.

10. Improve the matchmaking system and make our hidden ELO visible to us so we can see if it’s working (doesn’t need to be visible to others).

11. Stop putting premades against pugs when there are other premades already in the queue and waiting for pops.

12. For lowbies, boost all players abilities and utilities to lvl 74 and give them access to generic set bonus gear (like Ossus ones and are available from lvl 10 vendors). GW2 does something like this for their pvp. Without a system like this, no one below lvl 50 is going to want to pvp anymore and you are going to kill overall pvp participation and reduce skill even more in lvl 75 pvp.

13. Revamp the medal system and then reward people who play to win. That would mean even if they lose, they may get better rewards, like more tech frags or gear vs people who don’t play to win.

14. Incentivise players to get better through rewards. This could be done by adding new pvp legacy achievements (examples only) :

* interrupting an enemy player healing a team mate

* mitigating damage

* target swapping

* stopping a team scoring with the Hutt ball

* catching a Hutt ball pass in the end zone

* intercepting a Hutt ball pass

* cleansing abilities from a team mate or yourself

* preventing an enemy from capping

* stealing an enemy node

etc, etc, etc

Bioware, you’ve been driving players away from pvp and reducing the enjoyment of players who still play with your big stick approach to fixing problems.

If you really want to make reg pvp viable (again) in swtor, you need to make it fun for players again.

Let me finish by saying, cherry picking player ideas without implementing the rest of the systems people suggest to support their ideas is how you’ve made pvp less fun and arduous. The lock out system would work better if you hadn’t added it in a vacuum and disregarded the rest of the ideas that supported it, like map choice and fixing back fills and matchmaking. Adding a win requirement only made the whole thing worse.

You can fix reg pvp and revitalise players enjoyment again if you are willing to do some work. But if you keep going down this path like reg pvp is an after thought and doesn’t matter to the game, you will kill it for good and that will eventually flow into ranked pvp too.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I second every fix suggested in this post.

Aside, I think the algorithm presently does try its best to pit premades vs other premades in unranked. Instances of premades vs pugs typically only come up when other premades in queue are already in matches. Could be wrong. All I know is that when I'm rolling with a group, we frequently get pitted against other assembled teams (as it should be).

I second every fix suggested in this post.

Aside, I think the algorithm presently does try its best to pit premades vs other premades in unranked. Instances of premades vs pugs typically only come up when other premades in queue are already in matches. Could be wrong. All I know is that when I'm rolling with a group, we frequently get pitted against other assembled teams (as it should be).

Me too. Great post by the OP.

PLEASE ignore all requests to allow players to choose map types. When I queue random for flashpoints what I get is Hammer Station at least 70% of the time. That's because players have the ability to choose which FPs to queue for and someone in the queue is always only playing Hammer Station because it's the fastest.

If players could choose PVP maps, PVP would be ruined. Players would choose the PVP equivalent of Hammer Station and that is mostly the only thing that would pop, all day long. I'll never fully understand people who want to play as little of the game as possible. I do not want bad PVEers ruining the queue by queueing for what they think is the easiest/fastest map so they can run their Galactic Season dailies a little faster. You don't know that this is what you're asking for but it is 100% what you are asking for.

Great post, I wish there was a dev brave enough to respond to this. And in detail, not just with an empty 'yes, we're listening' response.

I 100% agree with your 'big stick' approach comment. They don't really seem to fine tune anything or consider details. They just slap a blanket solution on a problem that doesn't really address the root cause of the problem and also causes other problems. I sometimes wonder if they actually take PVP seriously at all. SWTOR PVP feels like a mini-game or side-quest compared to PVP in other MMOs. The attention the devs seem to give PVP is like they consider PVP to be an afterthought. Their 'fixes' seem poorly thought out and kinda like band-aids on a broken arm. I would love it if they actually explained the rationale behind their PVP decisions by showing how they arrived at a particular decision.

Just out of curiosity, I'd love to know how the staffing/job processes works at SWTOR. Eg - Are there separate teams/people that work on just PVE or PVP? If they're both managed by the same team how much lower priority are PVP issues given after PVE issues? (Clearly, they don't get the same priority and I get it - PVE make more money). Are PVP decisions made by the same person or very small group of people? Are PVP issues just jobs/projects assigned to random devs from a queue/management? (I work in IT and have seen IT infrastructure set up like this).

Sigh, I guess it doesn't really matter because come to think of it....this game has many areas where it's lagging behind other MMOs. I really shouldn't be surprised SWTOR PVP gets only this much attention and is poorly managed. If not for the Star Wars brand label I often wonder this game would still be in operation at all.

They could implement a similar system for fps as for pvp, reward players that que for all. You should not FORCE players into playing something they dont want to.

Something I’ve suggested for the last 4 years and fallen on deaf ears. It’s why I didn’t add it to the list even though it makes sense.

For about a month and a half, there was a petition on the GSF forum to nerf Remote Slicing. It gained a ton of support, and gained it quickly. People came together and told the devs what they wanted.

As of the latest patch, Remote Slicing was efficiently nerfed.

For the longest time, the prevailing attitude was that the devs don’t listen, that the devs don’t pay attention. Well, now we know that they do listen, they are paying attention, and enough noise will move suggestions. It’s too late to put that particular toothpaste back in the tube. So, it’s time to make it happen again.

I say we make this a formal list of changes we in the community truly want to see implemented in PvP. The more traction it gains, the less reason the devs will have to pretend it doesn’t exist. Just say that you agree with Trixxie if you want these changes to be made.

I agree with Trixxie, and I want these changes made.

They could implement a similar system for fps as for pvp, reward players that que for all. You should not FORCE players into playing something they dont want to.

This system has failed miserably on the flashpoint side because 70% of "random" pops are still Hammer Station. It is DEMONTRABLY a bad idea.

This system has failed miserably on the flashpoint side because 70% of "random" pops are still Hammer Station. It is DEMONTRABLY a bad idea.

eh. there's a middle ground between blanket choosing/refusing maps and the ability to remove zero maps from your queue.

I won't play quesh. I did it once yesterday. it's still the same quesh. if you want to TDM at mid, it's great. more power to you. if you're a sniper, it's the best map to TDM ever invented. more power to you. but as unique as a "vertical map" may seem in concept, it's just a pita in execution, from bad camera angles to the seemingly undeniable urge to ignore the objectives.

I don't actually care that ppl DM. I'll do it on occasion as well. it's just, imo, a horrible map. I also feel that most of the objective maps are broken by the "modern" proliferation of movement buffs combined with BW's terrible game engine. this is more true on HB maps than any others.

it's just, imo, a horrible map. I also feel that most of the objective maps are broken by the "modern" proliferation of movement buffs combined with BW's terrible game engine. this is more true on HB maps than any others.

100% agree. Great point that Bioware doesn't seem to realize. Not only do massive movement increase abilities **** on their engine, but for some reason Bioware keeps creating maps that exacerbate the issue. Like if you can't fix dsync then fine. We get it. There is only so much cash in the bank. But then why create maps like Vandin where the change in the Z axis only makes dsync worse?

At this point since it seems pretty obvious Bioware can't fix dsync, they should just a) remove massive movement increase abilities b) stop creating maps with ramps and multiple floors.

100% agree. Great point that Bioware doesn't seem to realize. Not only do massive movement increase abilities **** on their engine, but for some reason Bioware keeps creating maps that exacerbate the issue. Like if you can't fix dsync then fine. We get it. There is only so much cash in the bank. But then why create maps like Vandin where the change in the Z axis only makes dsync worse?

At this point since it seems pretty obvious Bioware can't fix dsync, they should just a) remove massive movement increase abilities b) stop creating maps with ramps and multiple floors.

Thats too logical. ;)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

it would require a complete redo on quite a few classes core abils. ops especially, but (and I only just realized this a month ago) even when mercs rocket out across the Z-axis, they glitch out.

the only ability that I think this issue cannot work around is warrior leap. I don't think that's possible to take away without losing the character of the class. ops will need the most help if you get rid of roll.

something I've noticed is phasewalk doesn't seem affected by this. I think that's b/c PW is always to a fixed point rather than to a moving target. but iunno.

it would require a complete redo on quite a few classes core abils. ops especially, but (and I only just realized this a month ago) even when mercs rocket out across the Z-axis, they glitch out.

You're right. Removing massive movement increase abilities from the game would be a radical step by the developers. It would also be very difficult to pull off.

There are some easy fixes that many people have proposed. For example, many classes have utilities that reduce the cooldown or enhance movement increasing abilities. Powertechs have utilities to buff hydros. Sorcs have a utility for 5 secs off force speed. Snipers have entrench and countermeasures speed boost....

Some fixes are harder to pull off. Operative roll is one of them because roll is such a fundamental and necessary CD for operatives. Set bonuses and tacticals like Nimble Master which exist solely as a movement enhancing set bonus would have to be reworked. Undoubtedly removing movement enhancing abilities would result in inbalance at first. But with constant tweaking, it could be pulled off.

Many players reject the removal of movement increasing abilities from the game because they see it as a nerf. I think Bioware is also hesitant to remove abilities or effects from the game because they see it as a step backwards rather than "progress." And maybe it is a step backwards. But I think anyone that played in 1.0-4.0 pre-dsync, would welcome this step backwards than the however many more steps forward into more dsync, glitching, insta-deaths ect.

Edited by septru

Many players reject the removal of movement increasing abilities from the game because they see it as a nerf.

Or, you know, they might remember 1.0 where most classes had little or no combat mobility, causing PVP to be entirely about all ranged classes getting viciously farmed by gangs of rage marauders.

Bioware, here are a set of steps or a road map for improving pvp in this game. They don’t include ranked, but the benefits would flow into ranked if more people were playing reg pvp and enjoying it.

The lockout and the win/loss change has driven down the player numbers in pvp (from my perspective, maybe your numbers tell a different story?). It’s a failed experiment in its current form and needs to be changed and improved if you want to keep these sort of mechanisms in place. The fundamental problem is you’ve sucked the enjoyment out of pvp.

1. Allow players some sort of choice with map type. Wether that’s direct choice or allowing some maps to be unticked.

2. Allow players who back fill the opportunity to leave without penalty or reward back fillers with a win even if they lose.

3. Change the win/loss back to a points system, but increase the ratio to 3:1 or 4:1. You can even increase the number to complete the weekly to 20.

5. Drop gear that is always atleast at or above your irating and not below (if you aren’t going to increase the amount of rewards)

6. Allow pvpers a dedicated route to obtain BiS sets for pvp that don’t require doing pve operations or playing RNG lotto at Kai.

9. Improve the technology so the queue knows if you were disconnected or lagged badly enough that you get bumped out of the match. You shouldn’t get a 15min lock out for that and most other games don’t do it.

10. Improve the matchmaking system and make our hidden ELO visible to us so we can see if it’s working (doesn’t need to be visible to others).

11. Stop putting premades against pugs when there are other premades already in the queue and waiting for pops.

12. For lowbies, boost all players abilities and utilities to lvl 74 and give them access to generic set bonus gear (like Ossus ones and are available from lvl 10 vendors). GW2 does something like this for their pvp. Without a system like this, no one below lvl 50 is going to want to pvp anymore and you are going to kill overall pvp participation and reduce skill even more in lvl 75 pvp.

13. Revamp the medal system and then reward people who play to win. That would mean even if they lose, they may get better rewards, like more tech frags or gear vs people who don’t play to win.

14. Incentivise players to get better through rewards. This could be done by adding new pvp legacy achievements (examples only) :

* mitigating damage

* target swapping

* stealing an enemy node

etc, etc, etc

Bioware, you’ve been driving players away from pvp and reducing the enjoyment of players who still play with your big stick approach to fixing problems.

If you really want to make reg pvp viable (again) in swtor, you need to make it fun for players again.

Let me finish by saying, cherry picking player ideas without implementing the rest of the systems people suggest to support their ideas is how you’ve made pvp less fun and arduous. The lock out system would work better if you hadn’t added it in a vacuum and disregarded the rest of the ideas that supported it, like map choice and fixing back fills and matchmaking. Adding a win requirement only made the whole thing worse.

You can fix reg pvp and revitalise players enjoyment again if you are willing to do some work. But if you keep going down this path like reg pvp is an after thought and doesn’t matter to the game, you will kill it for good and that will eventually flow into ranked pvp too.

Supported 100%

Great suggestions...that will never see the light of day at Bioware. The first six alone would make me overjoyed. We'll not likely see even one of those introduced :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• 4 weeks later...

* mitigating damage

* target swapping

* stealing an enemy node

etc, etc, etc

Although I totally agree with everything you are saying in your post, what it comes down to is: "EA plz give us (BW) enough cash and developers to fix a 10 year old game with the *******st engine ever to be used for an MMORPG in the hopes of getting more players or old ones back."

EA: "ummm, Nope."

* mitigating damage

* target swapping

* stealing an enemy node

etc, etc, etc

let me try to answer one by one

1. its a no go because there are quite alot of pvp maps and if can select meaning the que will be spread too thin and make never or slower pop , so it kils the pvp instead

2. just remove the lock out so backfiller or not wont get penalty

3. This is ok i think

4. Sure yes why not

5. yes please

6. This is good idea

7. get rid all lowbies and 75 level lock out

8. yes why not

9. see number 2

10. This is hard because most important is frequent pop , and too complicated without sacrificing pop time

11. This also hard because lets say you are premade and no other premade on other side , are you suggesting no pvp for these premade all all ?

12. This make sense

13. Too complicated , because guarding a node is also helping team to win, its hard to measure it , you dont want to whole team to camp node and do nothing

14. Too complicated , i suggest just give a token for winning just like galactic season for example 10 win get 1 token and this token can be traded with deco armor mount title

Edited by KumbayaGOD

I do wonder if people like ChrisS every see these ideas and read them properly?

Are they passed onto them by CMs?

If so, does ChrisS or others who’ve been in his position ever read them and take them seriously?

Are they actually discussed seriously or ridiculed privately by the devs?

Are our ideas and feed back just dismissed because of who posts them or because Devs disregard player ideas out of principle?

I’ve seen so many great player ideas over the years that Bioware outright ignore. Things that could have fixed many problems or averted others. Then there are ideas that Bioware cherry pick parts and not the whole and then we end up with systems like lock outs and win only mechanics without the supporting systems that could make some of those ideas work properly (map choice, back fill exemptions, DC’s exemptions, win-loss ratio increases and not replaced with win only mechanics).

Some of the things I’ve listed above in the OP aren’t even my ideas. I read all the ideas people post and I made the list based on what’s the easiest for Bioware to do and what would make the most logical sense to improve player fun and participation. I also took into account the reasons Bioware put the lockout mechanic in place and win requirement and tried to tweak it to make it less arduous and more fair.

Except for the last 2 suggestions to do with medals and achievements. The rest of the suggestions are very reasonable with a limited budget and resources for Bioware to do. What I don’t understand is Bioware’s reluctance to tweak systems that aren’t hard to do and would improve player experience without it negatively impacting the measures Bioware have put in place to discourage poor play and deserting (win requirement and lockout).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Knowing Bioware and the problems they have with game engines and architecture falling apart I bet that even these smaller changes will most likely have the whole game break down like a house of cards.

The bug issue has been a house of cards for years now. Every patch I wonder if this will be the one that breaks the game irreversibly. Doesn’t mean they should try fixing it or make worthwhile changes that improve things.

You bring up some great points Trixxie, I agree with a lot of what you posted. Some things I would add, or maybe suggest a different way based on some great feedback from others, posted above.

**They could make it like pve queue selection where you pick what warzones you want. They can also add in a nice daily reward for having ALL the warzones selected like pve does now. They can also maybe up the rewards for having all the warzones selected as well (they can do this for pve as well maybe alleviate some of the repetitive running of Hammer station!). This would allow folks to not be forced into wz's they don't want to do, and allow other folks better rewards for having all selected.

**They could add in the "Role in need" like they have for pve - they don't really have to have it as a specific role but this way those back fillers get an extra thanks for joining instead of a free win.

**IMO they need to just revert the weekly back to its true self the 10 wins (which is still here) and 20 losses, the weekly was perfect the way it was. Removing the losses part from the weekly quest does not stop win trading, folks afking in matches, players giving up, players not even trying, players leaving warzones. All it's doing it making less folks pvp.

**Swtor should go back to the badge, comms system - they could technically do it with tech frags however remove the credit part. They could go back to a true pve set and a pvp set like we had in 4.0 and prior and it was great. Easy to get gear for pvp, and pve.

** Gear should be at ilvl or above this below ilvl nonsence is infurrating.

**my suggestion would be to go back to gearing the way it was in 4.0 and prior - have a true pve set that you get from badges doing ops ext, and a pvp set that has expertise and you get form badges comms or even tech frags. The point is pvpers don't want to pve only pvers do same with pvers regarding pvp.

**There shouldn't be any lockout for pve or pvp. Lockouts cause more issues and frustrations then if a person leaves or gets dc'd and replaced.

**as long as there is a true pvp vendor i'm cool with this.

**remove lockout and don't have to worry about they adding some new form of technology to old game engine.

**It would be nice if they could add some true logic programming to the queue system instead of a fill generic queue system.

**they would have to add logic to the queue system it's possible, also they could add the filter and make the pvp section like the dungeon one where you select certain matches or an arena death match queue.

* mitigating damage

* target swapping

* stealing an enemy node

etc, etc, etc

**Good stuff overall. Here's hoping that swtor devs actually see this!