Chapter 3 Story - second combat style

redsovereign

I think this was a mistake TBH.

So, I have a new rolled Trooper sitting at lvl 56 that I have dressed up in a Republic uniform.

The idea was "suprise, suprise" to RP the character as a Republic officer and therefor the second combat style is going to be Scoundrel/Ruffian, since I think single blaster makes more sense for an officer.

I already tried with another character on PTS and I completely missed that you have to complete Chapter 3 of your class story BEFORE you can add the second combat style.

It's absolutely not gamebreaking OFC but ruins the RP; playing through the story as I intended the character to work.

Sure, I could reroll but I am not in the mood to regrind fleet commendations, spend 100's of millions credits on dyes etc etc.

The other thing that kinda worries me; we are almost in february.... is Bioware not a bit too quiet regarding the launch date and hype surrounding it?

Edited by redsovereign

I already tried with another character on PTS and I completely missed that you have to complete Chapter 3 of your class story BEFORE you can add the second combat style.

You don't have to do that for each of your characters before you can pick their second Combat Style. You need one character in your Legacy that has completed his/her class story to unlock it for everyone else in your Legacy. Those characters must have completed their introductory class story on the starter planet and travelled to the fleet before they can pick their second Combat Style, though.

Keep in mind that copying a live character to the current PTS build will not bring over any story achievements, because BioWare specifically deactivated it for the PTS challenge. So you have to unlock the chapter 3 class achievement yourself with a character on the PTS.

The other thing that kinda worries me; we are almost in february.... is Bioware not a bit too quiet regarding the launch date and hype surrounding it?

Why would they try to create hype surrounding a rather meager expansion on the story content front that had to be delayed because of critical issues regarding the new mechanics that have yet to be hotfixed?

Edited by Phazonfreak

Hi and thank you for clarifying!

I am a legendary player since years back so then I shouldn't have any issues with taking a break until 7.0 is released and play the character as I intended.

Regarding Bioware creating hype; I feel that putting out a video now that better explains their intention about combat styles for example would be a good idea for people that are unsure about what the change means (and there seem to be a lot of us that are unsure).

I feel that Bioware have overall communicated very badly about 7.0.

Some of that I do perfectly understand have to do with Covid, but overall, not explaining to people exactly and in a well communicated manner when exactly 7.0 will release (hopefully feb 15 but who knows?) and what we should look forward too feels pretty strange to me .

They are supposed to sell the update to their consumers but they are not selling anything ATM.

That's strange to me... do they not want our money?

You don't have to do that for each of your characters before you can pick their second Combat Style. You need one character in your Legacy that has completed his/her class story to unlock it for everyone else in your Legacy. Those characters must have completed their introductory class story on the starter planet and travelled to the fleet before they can pick their second Combat Style, though.

This is news to me, can you link to the dev post where this was clarified? My understanding is that a 2nd combat style was only available once you've completed the 3rd chapter (base story) on a per-character basis. IE, OP (for example) would create a trooper base with 1st style (lets say sniper), but still have to complete chapter 3 to grant them the 2nd style (scoundrel) regardless of whether they had a Smuggler in their legacy that had completed Ch3 or not

What I do recall being legacy linked was getting a char to Light V or Dark V on your legacy so Jedi could choose Sith styles and vice versa

This is news to me, can you link to the dev post where this was clarified? My understanding is that a 2nd combat style was only available once you've completed the 3rd chapter (base story) on a per-character basis. IE, OP (for example) would create a trooper base with 1st style (lets say sniper), but still have to complete chapter 3 to grant them the 2nd style (scoundrel) regardless of whether they had a Smuggler in their legacy that had completed Ch3 or not

Chris Schmidt confirmed it during this interview:

Question at 33:45

Answer at 34:09

Their thinking being that brand new players shouldn't be overwhelmed by the choice to pick a second Combat Style right from the beginning, but that experienced players will be able to do so.

I can also confirm this having tested it on the PTS myself. I have completed the class story of a character for the PTS challenge and when I created a new character, I was able to pick a second Combat Style after the starter planet on the fleet without having to finish the entire class story first.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Is this only for tech?, I had thought you can create a jedi on PTS and get a second combat style as soon as you enter starter zone.

Edit: I was actually mistaken and you are absolutely correct. I just tested it and you can immediately pick your second Combat Style when you use the button in the mission tracker for the quest. I totally did not see that and tried to click the plus symbol in the character menu. Oops.

So yes, you can pick your second Combat Style immediately upon entering the game with a new character. You just have to have completed one of the class stories in your Legacy for it to unlock.

Edited by Phazonfreak

Edit: I was actually mistaken and you are absolutely correct. I just tested it and you can immediately pick your second Combat Style when you use the button in the mission tracker for the quest. I totally did not see that and tried to click the plus symbol in the character menu. Oops.

So yes, you can pick your second Combat Style immediately upon entering the game with a new character. You just have to have completed one of the class stories in your Legacy for it to unlock.

Thank you for testing the feature for us!

This is what I meant with that Bioware have been terrible at explaining and informing the players about how exactly the combat styles will work in 7.0.

Information should hve been clear and readidly availible for us because why make a change like this if you do not aim to get new players into the game?

There's a big lack of selling features by Bioware and this will probably go under the radar.

They don't need to use s huge AD campaign. Use social media... Just use something...