Best class for Echani?

Paluhdyn

I am a long term martial artist and have always been obsessed with the Echani after they were introduced to me in KOTOR.

I am looking to make a character that I can spin head cannon into being Echani, and I am torn between Sentinel, Guardian and Shadow as I can see arguments for all of 3. I only have time to play 1 class due to military obligations and want to settle into one.

Any insights and opinions would greatly be appreciated!

Let's see, that's two Knight Advanced Classes and one Consular.

The thing is, though, when 7.0 hits in a few months (Holiday 2021, they said), Advanced Classes will be converted into Combat Styles and seperated from base Classes (which will be renamed Origins). At that time, you can play either Knight or Consular origin and combine that choice with any of those three Force Combat styles.

Also, in preparation for the Combat Style conversion, they're currently revamping the Combat Styles/Advanced Classes on the Play-Test Server, so some of the abilities are likely to be changed when 7.0 arrives, so that will probably have some effect on your decision as well. Although, I believe that they're going to make Combat Styles changable, so you might be able to switch Combat Style if you find the one you first chose isn't to your taste.

That said, in EU/Legends, the Echani are said to eschew heavy armor, which Guardians wear, so Sentinel or Shadow would be more characteristic in that regard. With a Sentinel, you can forego Lightsabers all-together for Vibroswords to further keep an Echani asthetic, while a Shadow would have a double-bladed Vibrosword or a vibrostaff.

Let's see, that's two Knight Advanced Classes and one Consular.

The thing is, though, when 7.0 hits in a few months (Holiday 2021, they said), Advanced Classes will be converted into Combat Styles and seperated from base Classes (which will be renamed Origins). At that time, you can play either Knight or Consular origin and combine that choice with any of those three Force Combat styles.

Also, in preparation for the Combat Style conversion, they're currently revamping the Combat Styles/Advanced Classes on the Play-Test Server, so some of the abilities are likely to be changed when 7.0 arrives, so that will probably have some effect on your decision as well. Although, I believe that they're going to make Combat Styles changable, so you might be able to switch Combat Style if you find the one you first chose isn't to your taste.

That said, in EU/Legends, the Echani are said to eschew heavy armor, which Guardians wear, so Sentinel or Shadow would be more characteristic in that regard. With a Sentinel, you can forego Lightsabers all-together for Vibroswords to further keep an Echani asthetic, while a Shadow would have a double-bladed Vibrosword or a vibrostaff.

Which one has the more "martial" feel to it (between Sentinel and Shadow)? If I remember correctly, Shadow has more acrobatic abilities and some kicks and stuff but Sentinel has a bunch of leaps and of course, minimal force powers.

Most likely Sentinel; Kinetic Combat and Serenity Shadows are more Force-based, while Infiltration Shadows are combat-based but are more for stealth and alpha strikes. Since the Echani value martial skill both for its own sake and for understanding others, the sneaking around of an Infiltration Shadow probably wouldn't fit as well as the direct combat skills of the Sentinel.

Most likely Sentinel; Kinetic Combat and Serenity Shadows are more Force-based, while Infiltration Shadows are combat-based but are more for stealth and alpha strikes. Since the Echani value martial skill both for its own sake and for understanding others, the sneaking around of an Infiltration Shadow probably wouldn't fit as well as the direct combat skills of the Sentinel.

Thank you for the insights! Last question, while yes the class can use heavy armour, would a guardian but using minimal outfit have a good case, or would that be a little bit of far reach?

Theoretically, it could work. While a Focus Guardian uses the Force to augment their fighting style, a Vigilance Guardian is closer towards pure swordsmanship, so a lightly-armored Vigilance Guardian could decently represent an Echani using a single blade.

Lore note; there was an Echani Jedi who attained the title of "Weapon Master" during the days of the Army of Light up to the Ruusan Reformation, circa 1000 BBY (three thousand years after SWTOR), who used Jar'kai, the art of two lightsabers, and taught their Padawan to use a double-bladed lightsaber. They fought Darth Bane and believed him defeated, but only opened the way for the Sith to disappear and begin the Rule of Two and the 'Great Plan' to corrupt and conquer from the shadows.

Theoretically, it could work. While a Focus Guardian uses the Force to augment their fighting style, a Vigilance Guardian is closer towards pure swordsmanship, so a lightly-armored Vigilance Guardian could decently represent an Echani using a single blade.

Lore note; there was an Echani Jedi who attained the title of "Weapon Master" during the days of the Army of Light up to the Ruusan Reformation, circa 1000 BBY (three thousand years after SWTOR), who used Jar'kai, the art of two lightsabers, and taught their Padawan to use a double-bladed lightsaber. They fought Darth Bane and believed him defeated, but only opened the way for the Sith to disappear and begin the Rule of Two and the 'Great Plan' to corrupt and conquer from the shadows.

I've read that book and love that character!

I'm leaning towards trying a guardian - in real life I am a much bigger guy than most but also super flexible/acrobatic for my size because of my martial arts. And then when this combat style thing comes out, having a sentinel build and guardian build.