Suggestion: Sort TDM Leaderboard by total Kills+Assists

powerofvoid

I recently decided to finish up 100% on GSF achievements. One of the last few was Most Assists x 250.

In order to increase my assists I had to resort to less-lethal weaponry in GSF, because if I try to be more aggressive to hit more ships I just end up with more kills and more damage.

So I cheesed my way through with Ion Railgun spam. I actually had to use Ion only, because when I tried a mix of Ion and Slug, I just wound up killing targets again.

So despite being a pretty poor gunship pilot, I got the last 50 games I needed in just over 50 games. Ion only games for me were typically something like 0-6 kills, 22 -37 assists, and 90k + damage. Pretty decent numbers, from pretty degenerate play. I suppose the upside is that noobs on my team had a lot of opportunities to practice gunnery skills on shieldless stranded targets. The downside is that for the teams I was doing my best to Ion into oblivion, those matches probably kinda sucked a lot. Not to mention that my teams would have generally done better in terms of game time and margin of victory if I hadn't been playing like a lunatic.

AOE weapons make cheesing assist numbers pretty easy. Especially with Ion Railgun, but EMP missiles and EMP pulse can do it too. Sure, in most games there is space for more use of those weapons, but if you're worried that people are flying in detrimental ways to chase scoreboard position, making assists count could backfire once those people figure out how easy it is to inflate assist numbers with AOE effects.

For myself I finished all the achievements, and I'll be happy to not touch Ion Railgun again for a few months.

I recently decided to finish up 100% on GSF achievements. One of the last few was Most Assists x 250.

In order to increase my assists I had to resort to less-lethal weaponry in GSF, because if I try to be more aggressive to hit more ships I just end up with more kills and more damage.

So I cheesed my way through with Ion Railgun spam. I actually had to use Ion only, because when I tried a mix of Ion and Slug, I just wound up killing targets again.

So despite being a pretty poor gunship pilot, I got the last 50 games I needed in just over 50 games. Ion only games for me were typically something like 0-6 kills, 22 -37 assists, and 90k + damage. Pretty decent numbers, from pretty degenerate play. I suppose the upside is that noobs on my team had a lot of opportunities to practice gunnery skills on shieldless stranded targets. The downside is that for the teams I was doing my best to Ion into oblivion, those matches probably kinda sucked a lot. Not to mention that my teams would have generally done better in terms of game time and margin of victory if I hadn't been playing like a lunatic.

AOE weapons make cheesing assist numbers pretty easy. Especially with Ion Railgun, but EMP missiles and EMP pulse can do it too. Sure, in most games there is space for more use of those weapons, but if you're worried that people are flying in detrimental ways to chase scoreboard position, making assists count could backfire once those people figure out how easy it is to inflate assist numbers with AOE effects.

For myself I finished all the achievements, and I'll be happy to not touch Ion Railgun again for a few months.

While it is true that it will encourage players to chase assists, any sorting method will encourage players to chase whatever it is based on.

The question then becomes: which playing-to-the-test strategy is better for your teammates in TDM: maximizing last-hits, or maximizing the number of soon-to-be-dead enemies that you hit at least once? (Remember that it's K+A, not just A)

While it is true that it will encourage players to chase assists, any sorting method will encourage players to chase whatever it is based on.

NOBODY chases assists outside of pushing for the achievements. I top the board regularly not because I'm chasing the top score but because I'm trying to win.