Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Streaming GSF

Drakkolich
05.13.2015 , 08:10 PM | #251
Streams up, starting on Harbinger tonight.

Edit: All done for tonight thanks for watching!
DrakolichDrakolÝch
The BastionTwitch Stream

Verain
05.13.2015 , 09:14 PM | #252
bingin the harb
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Archonitek
05.14.2015 , 12:28 AM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I also want to point out that while to a person who doesn't understand GSF watching bomber can be puzzling and boring, and to a GSF ace watching a bomber can be boring because it's not as kinetic, there's plenty of players trying to get better at the game by seeing a lot more of it.
This isn't the thread for it but I think if the devs should implement having laser/missile visibly strike your own ship will actually make the game visually more impressive as well as a clear indicator that you are being fired upon rather than just the standard fps flash of red from a 2D circle around your ship. I don't notice this much when flying but watching Drako's streams does sometimes give the impression that the ship is taking hits from invisible bullets.

Not to mention it might also help rookies realize that someone is on their *** and blowing away their shields and hulls.
Eclipse Squadron - Cedwic/Eclipse-seven - Pilot - The Ebon Hawk
Nova Squadron - Zemelda - Lieutenant - The Ebon Hawk
Red Squadron - Teerayne - Senior Spaceman - The Harbinger

Verain
05.14.2015 , 10:22 AM | #254
It would really help. I know why it's off, though.

The game draws your ship where your client thinks it is, which is accurate-ish. Enemy ships are drawn according to where the server has told the client they are (or, more likely, will be), with some prediction happening at some point in time. If enemy ship is moving along the x axis and at time = 5 you see him at x=8, and at time = 10 you see him at x = 13, he's certainly moving forward at 1 "x" per "time"- but if you were to teleport to his computer at time = 9.5, you might notice that he had actually stopped moving, but that fact wasn't updated.

This means that every ship is sort of some combination of guesswork, meaning that the positions can't be meaningfully exact. This is a big part of why projectiles are minimized or use different mechanics in almost all these games- it's very rare to cast a spell where you throw a moderately fast bowling ball at an enemy. Much more common is a slow moving zone (slow enough that the netcode won't have to guess and you won't get tripped up) or something instant, like a bullet, so the decision is made instantly... or things with a "travel time" that are glued to you (if you cast a frostbolt at an enemy and they duck behind a pillar, or fire a proton and the enemy hides behind a rock, the frostbolt or proton will still hit them).

So GSF just draws the ships shooting when they shoot, and it draws the physical ramifications of the shot, which doesn't always line up with what's going on to you. The option would really be shots that curve to hit you because it was a straight shot when the enemy took it.

That being said- it is distracting. Certainly, the devs are aware of it, with red flashes and noises when you are struct and GUI elements showing the direction of fire, so they put some work into fixing it. But it would be cool if it was like "if you didn't see the shot until it's right upon you, we drew a shot of that kind, from that direction, especially for you to see it". Basically, just draw that tail end of it, and only for the person that got hit.

Maulkat
05.14.2015 , 03:07 PM | #255
This is Lucklessa/Sixofone from Harbinger. Thank you gentlemen for the wonderful evening of GSF. My friends and I really enjoyed ourselves and flying against you. A question, I only watched your match of the day from May 12 and not any of the others you have posted. Do you only pick victories as your pick of the day? We had, in my opinion, a match that was much better and closer in score. In the end my team won.
I look forward to flying with and against you.

MaximilianPower
05.14.2015 , 03:37 PM | #256
Quote: Originally Posted by Maulkat View Post
This is Lucklessa/Sixofone from Harbinger. Thank you gentlemen for the wonderful evening of GSF. My friends and I really enjoyed ourselves and flying against you. A question, I only watched your match of the day from May 12 and not any of the others you have posted. Do you only pick victories as your pick of the day? We had, in my opinion, a match that was much better and closer in score. In the end my team won.
Not to speak for drak - but I'm pretty sure his criteria merely require a good game, not necessarily a win. I think his very first "match of the day" was a 1000-998 loss (I remember, because I was in it, lol).

Zuckerkorn Zuckernaut Spiderzuck Tensorcide Zuck-srw'i
Maximilian Power T°biasFŘnke Tryhard Neckbeard MaxPower-srw
Star Forge / Satele Shan / Darth Malgus

Self-Inflicted / Shadowlands Reconnaisance Wing / Retrocide / Imperial Entanglements

Verain
05.14.2015 , 05:31 PM | #257
Do you only pick victories as your pick of the day?
Drak has never mentioned this. Normally he picks an interesting game. While we did have one loss last night (and it was a good game for sure), we had a bunch of really good games, that merely one among them, and the others were all victories.

I would assume Drako would pick one of the games that was essentially two premades against each other, instead of one of the games where one side is burdened with a bunch of food. Some of the victories featured an enemy team that was only one solid premade on the opposite side, burdened by foodships, and our one loss featured a similar low-skill set of ships skewing things.

Drakkolich
05.14.2015 , 06:13 PM | #258
I absolutely do not pick only victories I have some up there that are losses already, I try to pick the closest score wise game. The other criteria I use if I have a few that were good is interesting team tactics or a match with some crazy cool flying from myself.

During my entire night of streaming last night we lost 2 games, those games scores were 1000-539 and 1000-429, with the second one being the loss vs your premade. The reason I didn't choose the loss the your team as my game of the day is we were fighting against 2 premades with 3 very very new pilots on our side barely helping. Even if we had mastered ships I still don't think we could have won that game being so outnumbered.

If you would like to watch the game you're talking about where your team won 1000-429 click this link and go to 2:23:30. All of my games are saved to twitch for 2 weeks after I stream, feel free to check any of them out.

Thanks for the great games last night. ^^
DrakolichDrakolÝch
The BastionTwitch Stream

Linuxizer
05.14.2015 , 07:10 PM | #259
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
The game draws your ship where your client thinks it is, which is accurate-ish. Enemy ships are drawn according to where the server has told the client they are (or, more likely, will be), with some prediction happening at some point in time. If enemy ship is moving along the x axis and at time = 5 you see him at x=8, and at time = 10 you see him at x = 13, he's certainly moving forward at 1 "x" per "time"- but if you were to teleport to his computer at time = 9.5, you might notice that he had actually stopped moving, but that fact wasn't updated.
I was racing with Drakolich for a DO the other day and I was surprised how different our perspectives appeared. In my video, it appeared he was still 4000m away when I reached the DO. In his video, which I found on twitch the next day, it appeared he reached the DO slightly before I did.
Starfighter videos on youtube

Referral link: https://www.swtor.com/r/jBHrWL

Ashamam
05.14.2015 , 08:36 PM | #260
Hey, Drako enjoyed flying against you on Harbringer on our Imp flight night. I only was on for two of the matches agasint you earlier in the evening one loss TDM and one win Domination. Hope you enjoyed yourself and come back on a regular basis!

Babylonia
Siphaniah