BioWare, GTN prices are insane, its time to do something

ShieldProtection

it would be optimal to just /stuck it if you are going to lose to dodge the repair. Moophy knew all along

Nah, cause your death would also damage your gear. So stucking it would cost you. If it was costly enough it might actually stop fools from stucking it in ranked. Of course it should not be as high for regs because of how objective pvp is set up to die multiple times a match.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is impossible to buy anything for free to play and pref players from GTN, prices are literally insane and overpriced, a single chest armour pack costs like 3m and more. My sub will be end in a few days so I will be unable to play this game due to credits limit,

There is tons of overpriced items on GTN that can only be purchased if one sinks lots of real world money, selling packs etc,

Heroics farm solo rewards only 1m ALL OF THEM daily, so I have to spend my personal time in this game to get 5m in 5 days? Heroics are also digital cancer if you do solo and annoying and no one doing them anymore in group.

It is impossible to earn enough credits by doing normal methods,

People literally having billions of credits in this game by getting packs and then selling them on gtn while rest of us can't even get a armour set.

It is time to do something, put some measures into the game. Economy is dying,

you can thank CS GO then Fortnite for regulating the skin style buying for EVERY online game, its a traget it leaked into the MMO world, when we had the 15 dollar a month fee, all was great, we pay 15 bucks a moth,... get ANYTHING they have IN game,then a new dlc comes out as a full game price, and we get more stuff, but now,

this whole "FREE DLC" shouldnt even be called a dlc, but i thinkk they just called it update or w/e anyway,

thats what happens when u can sell items you buy on the a RL money market, i think most items on the cartel market should be bound on pickup, like DCUO does for all of its iconic styles or other unique items u buy , and its available for all the characters u make when u buy it.

but even that has been exploited cause that game has time capsules with loot like this game, auras/furniture, styles. collections, that can be exploited from RL cash to In game money where no casuaal player can ever afford anything without using RL money if they wanto get it without grinding 3 years for 300 million and more.

i agree. but, sadly, its just what as i said, games like CSGO skin website for counterstirke global assault, fortnite, Player Unknown battlegrounds, and then they totally changed the soe Zombie open world game into a pub g type game and it was originally not like that.

it started big back in 2015 when ARKHAM freakin knight got a season pass.... come on, one of the best franchises to have no micro transactions with its previous releases besides regular DLCs, which are cool. but after that happened , every tripple A release Now that is online, even some solo have micro transactions, and it has ruined everything about running a business legitimately in a mmo.

in SWG people had fun with in game resources and made money with only in game items, crafting, harvesting materials. building houses, cities, clothing, armor weapons, all that needed to be maintained with maintenance with in game money. thats why i resent swtor so much it has so much potential,

glad they are doing the weapon mastery Idea to a T i spammed the community with basically the same idea for years and was told it would never happen or would be stupid, but the combat style update is what this game needs gameplay wise, as it goes for the gtn, there is no fixing it, unless they get rid of BOE CM Items

as it goes for the gtn, there is no fixing it, unless they get rid of BOE CM Items

The nano-second after you (the ubiquitous you) introduces a store, where items can be bought for RW money, you have this problem.

Smak-ti-vision / Lizzard discovered this when they introduced the Cartel Coin (or equivalent) in an effort to combat gold farmers. They also did this around the time certain mechanics (IN-GAME) allowed players to make millions of gold by essentially playing a place-took equivalent in their "fortress".

Needless to say, the unintentional consequence was / were folks paying for their monthly sub fee with gold earned in game. I don't think I payed RW money to that company the last five years I played.

EVERYTHING in the CM should also be in the game. The time requirements obviously vary, depending on the desirability, but placing items behind a paywall, in a game where you also pay a sub, is obvious in its intent.

I would also recommend the introduction of non-CM gold sinks.

Higher GTN tax and repair bills will just hurt those with the fewest credits to begin with. They tried high repair bills back around 2015. It was reversed. There are two ways to reduce prices. Increase the supply or reduce the demand. Bioware reduced the supply with removal of all the free cartel coins from the referral program.

Trying to punish rich players won't solve the problem. In fact, rich players help take credits out of the game - well stashed away, but at least not circulating. That is hindered by the credit caps currently. Increasing the caps for character or legacy will let these players store more credits so they are not floating around in the game. Amounts in excess of 100 billion credits make players resort to adding alts or buying rare items to store more credits. Past 500 billion credits it is such a pain it is almost not worth the effort... almost. You don't want them to spend, you want to support them storing more credits out of circulation.

There needs to be more specialty credit sinks. A must have mount, palace, or object that is so desirable that people will drop a billion or more credits to have. And then billions more to unlock rooms or features. Something that even the "doing pretty good" players have to save up for. Or a leaderboard for highest amount of credits for individual or guild. Something that offers a competition to save instead of spend will reduce the credits circulating.

Trying to drive up costs, taxes, penalties is not going to affect the wealthy. It is just going to hurt everyone else. Increasing the GTN tax from 3% to 8% did nothing. Prices are multiples higher than when it was only 3%.

Don't shoot off your leg to save your foot. Add pricey barbie doll credit sinks of epic proportion. Ultra pricey and limited edition decorations or vanity items. Not sellable on gtn - sold by vendor so it really takes credits out of the game.

On the demand side, credits rain from the sky now. Popping conquest and getting embers, matrix's, or OEMs get people 40 million credits or more a week. That is a shocking change to what players can earn versus prior years. That's fine if people like easy credits, but you cannot throw all that gasoline of easy credits into the fire wood of the market and not expect it to go up in flames.

On the demand side, credits rain from the sky now. Popping conquest and getting embers, matrix's, or OEMs get people 40 million credits or more a week. That is a shocking change to what players can earn versus prior years. That's fine if people like easy credits, but you cannot throw all that gasoline of easy credits into the fire wood of the market and not expect it to go up in flames.

+ 1

Boggles my mind when long-time players (and the fleet leeches) complain about "being broke". In the next breath they scream to high heaven how they ** NEED ** some item off the CM.

Yet they remain on fleet, doing the occasional Vet FP.

Hi folks,

As the conversation here started veering off-topic and was not constructive, we removed posts from this thread.

We ask everyone to be respectful of each other even if there is disagreement or difference of opinion. Should posts here continue to violate guidelines, we will remove the posts and close the thread.

- Community Team

lol, no comment on the substance of the thread.

Higher GTN tax and repair bills will just hurt those with the fewest credits to begin with. They tried high repair bills back around 2015. It was reversed. There are two ways to reduce prices. Increase the supply or reduce the demand. Bioware reduced the supply with removal of all the free cartel coins from the referral program.

Trying to punish rich players won't solve the problem. In fact, rich players help take credits out of the game - well stashed away, but at least not circulating. That is hindered by the credit caps currently. Increasing the caps for character or legacy will let these players store more credits so they are not floating around in the game. Amounts in excess of 100 billion credits make players resort to adding alts or buying rare items to store more credits. Past 500 billion credits it is such a pain it is almost not worth the effort... almost. You don't want them to spend, you want to support them storing more credits out of circulation.

There needs to be more specialty credit sinks. A must have mount, palace, or object that is so desirable that people will drop a billion or more credits to have. And then billions more to unlock rooms or features. Something that even the "doing pretty good" players have to save up for. Or a leaderboard for highest amount of credits for individual or guild. Something that offers a competition to save instead of spend will reduce the credits circulating.

Trying to drive up costs, taxes, penalties is not going to affect the wealthy. It is just going to hurt everyone else. Increasing the GTN tax from 3% to 8% did nothing. Prices are multiples higher than when it was only 3%.

Don't shoot off your leg to save your foot. Add pricey barbie doll credit sinks of epic proportion. Ultra pricey and limited edition decorations or vanity items. Not sellable on gtn - sold by vendor so it really takes credits out of the game.

I agree that a general increase across the board would be detrimental to new or currently poor players.

But a sliding scale increase would actually target those with the largest amount of credits and they could even reduce the current GTN for the lowest listed items.

Basing the GTN tax on the amount something is listed for and scale it up for the extremely expensive items would take huge amounts of credits out of the game. While allowing crafted and reasonably priced CM items to be taxed less and with in reach of new players.

The same could be done with repair costs. The lower your level, the less you’ll be impacted by repair costs. The same goes for content. The harder the content, the higher the repair costs.

And of course, adding a vendor with high value items that can only be bought with credits is another good idea.

Now imagine having all 3 of those working in tandem.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Hate to be the one player in the room to state the obvious....but you guys are wasting your time.

So long as someone can spend real money - buy a cartel market item or a "hypercrate" - then put said item on market....you will continue to have this problem.

This also applies to areas where you can grind valuable/sought after loot.

Taxation won't work - it just raises prices.

Asking them to force prices down - won't work.

People always find a way to subvert the system.

You'd have to restrict how high a price goes - but again - as I said before - won't work - they would just trade directly - and presto you have trade chat flood - restrict that - they just go to Discord.

Bottom line - all of the suggestions I keep seeing - don't do jack for this issue or too little.

Now my suggestion?

Crash the market.

Crazy right?

Make everything less valuable . How you ask? Make these "rare/expensive items" easier to get - market floods initially - but no one will buy them - bang - no more inflation when new players can get items easy.

No one will spend obscene credits for things at that point.

No - not a simple solution - but you take away the value of a given item - no ones going to pay for it at that price when they can get it for damn near nothing somewhere else.

Course players be lazy - that's on them. But point stands.

Pretty simple....even if it its ugly. Simple in concept - but implementation would give the devs migraines.

Or better yet - educate people on smart market tactics....donate expensive goods...remove the value by being a decent player and shun the GTN.

The GTN is not a requirement - its an option.

If your impatient and want something nice and shiny - that's on you - you have to pay for it.

Better yet - put all the cartel items back on the market - stop removing them and making them insanely expensive. Make im cheap - make more money in the long term to pay for Game Dev.

Its half the reason if not majority why things are so expensive.

Or you can just play the game and not bother with GTN ever - problem solved.

F2P'ers will suffer - but that's the nature of the beast. Not like they could do much with a 1mil cap in the first place.

Don't care if I get heard or not - but arguing over inflation and asking the GM's to do something that is already in your power - won't do much.

Stop feeding the monster....monster starves.

Bottom line - inflation is due to supply....lack there of...and a very high demand.

Stop attacking the demand - deal with the supply.

More supply - things get cheaper because they aren't so "special"

Economics 101.

PS: As for players with too many credits? Spend it all.....and donate it all. Otherwise..tough....deal with it. Its just a game - should be out there having fun and running content - want to play spreadsheets online? Go play EVE Online or something.

Edited by kage_goomba

It’s not a big deal if you look at it that way. But the flip side for sellers is you’re removing or negating part the buyer base. Which isn’t a huge drama at the moment, but it could become an issue if the “subscriber” population drops vs F2P/preferred.

Also, as CM cosmetics have gone up in price, so have the non CM prices. So eventually even those will be out of reach of F2P/Preferred.

As an example, I don’t bother selling any crafted items below 1 million credits these days. Of course people could always craft instead of buying my stuff. But if that’s the argument, why even have a GTN for non CM items.

Inflation is affecting the whole GTN and while some less popular or over supplied items are still cheap, the other poster is correct when they say F2P credit cap hasn’t kept up with the hyperinflation.

sure, f2p/pref not being able to some CM items does reduce the amount of potential buyers, true. but then you completely neglect the fact that there are enough buyers who are subscribers for next to all cartel market items, if something doesn't sell the prices will be gradually reduced until they do

f2p doesn't have a high credit cap, but that's irrelevant to the wider discussion of inflation and has very little impact on the economy, if you want their credit cap to be increased that's a separate discussion

In isolation? No.

As was pointed out below however, that severely limits the pool of players able to purchase goods, which is a contributing factor to the current state of the economy. Also noted was how this isn't exclusive to cosmetic items, as the price of CC items goes up, so does the price of other items. The entire GTN is riddled with high priced, low level items that are just out of reach for F2P players. Drive them away, and the player base is worse off in the long run.

Additionally, I suggested increasing cash sinks, including repairs and vendor prices. Unless the F2P credit cap is increased, that would adversely affect these players.

I firmly believe that the game is more free to try but it's evident to everyone that prices have increased over 10 years. F2P credit cap should get with the times.

i understand that it limits f2p/pref ability to buy goods, but i don't see how thats is relevant to the discussion with inflation, f2p/pref have no impact on the economy and the credit cap is there to incentives them to subscribe/buy cartel market items directly from CM with CC. f2p/pref credit cap has nothing to do with inflation, their inability to buy items from gtn is a result of the inflation but since its mainly cosmetics thats not a big deal

f2p and pref need to have limitations on them that incentives them to subscribe, swtor isn't a charity after all and people that don't pay to support it are going to have a much more limited gameplay experience than people who pay, that's just how the world works. i think f2p/pref should get a minor credit cap increase in 7.0, but the best idea from bioware would just be to allow them more access to the story. the longer a f2p/pref plays this game its more likely they will subscribe/buy cc so you want to keep people in the game. f2p/pref who leave the game cause they cant afford things on gtn aren't a big loss for the game from a financial point of view

people are whining so much about not being able to afford cosmetic cartel market items on the gtn, just buy them via cartel market... :jawa_angel:

Edited by RikuvonDrake

f2p and pref need to have limitations on them that incentives them to subscribe, swtor isn't a charity after all and people that don't pay to support it are going to have a much more limited gameplay experience than people who pay, that's just how the world works. i think f2p/pref should get a minor credit cap increase in 7.0, but the best idea from bioware would just be to allow them more access to the story. the longer a f2p/pref plays this game its more likely they will subscribe/buy cc so you want to keep people in the game. f2p/pref who leave the game cause they cant afford things on gtn aren't a big loss for the game from a financial point of view

people are whining so much about not being able to afford cosmetic cartel market items on the gtn, just buy them via cartel market... :jawa_angel:

The problem is a bit of a two-edged sword, though. Almost everyone who plays focuses on the single player game. The only way to have the really elite gear is to put (what is to most normal people) and unreasonable amount of time or real money into the game. And that makes some sense, I suppose. Real life has elite goods too. The difference is, in real life if it's not reasonable for me to wear Armani and drive Lamborghinis, I don't check out and stop living. In the game, if the cool stuff is out of reach for most players, they go play something else.

At some point, you're catering mostly to an elite player base, but you make it difficult to expand or attract more to the player base, because you've made the attractive elements out of reach.

The problem is a bit of a two-edged sword, though. Almost everyone who plays focuses on the single player game. The only way to have the really elite gear is to put (what is to most normal people) and unreasonable amount of time or real money into the game. And that makes some sense, I suppose. Real life has elite goods too. The difference is, in real life if it's not reasonable for me to wear Armani and drive Lamborghinis, I don't check out and stop living. In the game, if the cool stuff is out of reach for most players, they go play something else.

At some point, you're catering mostly to an elite player base, but you make it difficult to expand or attract more to the player base, because you've made the attractive elements out of reach.

Elite gear as in based on cosmetic value or based on their actual stats and performance ingame? Gearing for endgame content is more expensive this expansion (I think a full set would be about 9-10m credits) but its also something that very few players actually need, however lots of players WANTS to have the best gear, both in terms of stats and for its cosmetic value. Currently, there is over 3500 cosmetic items below 1m on GTN (Malgus) and add to that the several thousands of crafted armors, as well as vendor items and there, is plenty for f2p/pref to pick from if they want cartel market cosmetics they are a bit more limited, there are 1600 such on GTN at the moment buts its important to keep in mind that other players bought these items from the cartel market, f2p/pref have that option as well.

in terms of their cartel coin cost, most armor sets from the cartel market cost about the same as two cups of coffee or a cheap lunch, wouldn't really compare that to a Lamborghini. But, using your analogy, swtor is catering to the "elite" playerbase who are able to afford a few cups of coffee or buy a lunch? I think that's right where they want their player base to be.

Edited by RikuvonDrake

For anyone interested, the best value CM to credit conversion via the GTN is the Additional Character Slot - CM description or the Server Character Slot - GTN description (just to make it confusing :rolleyes:)

600CC converts to between 300,000,000 to 360,000,000 Credits. Which is much better than trading Hypercrates for a Billion credits. You can literally buy 9 server slots from the CM for the same price as 1 hypercrate.

Thanks a lot for this one. I just doubled my money overnight with zero effort, spending CC's I got for free from Galactic Season.

Edited by Gokkus

Not sure where you are going with this line of thought. The GTN mostly sells cosmetic items or crafted ones that are mostly available in the game for anyone to make or farm.

You can get 99% of all elite gear except for when Bioware locked highest augment mats behind ranked pvp and mastermode operations. Of course there were some Armor sets and tactical’s locked behind the mastermode operations too (which was dumb), but you could still get those through Kai Zykken.

And now those augment mats aren’t locked only behind that content. You can get them from swapping tech frags with an NPC (which should have been added at the same time).

Bioware aren’t catering to the most elite with the CM items. They can be purchased by anyone with a wallet or purse. And the other stuff isn’t the driving factor behind inflation.

Credit Sinks.

Non-transferable, bound-to-legacy, credit sinks.

Nice, shiny, "elite", not available in game (excuse me while I go throw up), non-transferable, bound-to-legacy, credit sinks.

Now, the secondary effect will be players buying credits, or buying CM items to sell, in order to purchase said item(s).

Want to REALLY crash the market?

Make all CM items bound to legacy. ONLY.

Combine the two and you have a mechanism to one, remove credits, while still allowing for an active CM market.

Want to REALLY crash the market?

Make all CM items bound to legacy. ONLY.

This might be your preferred course of action but it doesn’t seem to address the topic; it might make it “worse” from the OP’s point of view and possibly many others’ as well.

The OP wants highly-desired cosmetic items without spending money (for CCs) or many credits. Your “solution” will ultimately remove those items from GTN altogether and players will only be able acquire those items using CC. That’s obviously not what the OP wants.

There are other issues with this idea like guilds not being able to acquire and store CM items for their members, either for direct withdrawal from the guild bank or for use as prizes for contests.

“Crash the Market” idea: This also illustrates what I and others have said. Some here are motivated by envy and a desire to mess with other players’ “gamelives” (happiness) just as in real life. So, they’re talking up non-existent problems.

Edited by mike_carton

This might be your preferred course of action but it doesn’t seem to address the topic; it might make it “worse” from the OP’s point of view and possibly many others’ as well.

The OP wants highly-desired cosmetic items without spending money (for CCs) or many credits. Your “solution” will ultimately remove those items from GTN altogether and players will only be able acquire those items using CC. That’s obviously not what the OP wants.

There are other issues with this idea like guilds not being able to acquire and store CM items for their members, either for direct withdrawal from the guild bank or for use as prizes for contests.

“Crash the Market” idea: This also illustrates what I and others have said. Some here are motivated by envy and a desire to mess with other players’ “gamelives” (happiness) just as in real life. So, they’re talking up non-existent problems.

I've been watching this thread for some time now. And for whatever it's worth you're pretty much right on target.

ADDITIONALLY:

** We really don't know WHO (individuals or mega guilds) that are behind the higher prices on the GTN.

** Very few (if any) mention the prices that have dropped like a rock in the last 18 - 20 months. Some items are finished goods ( crafted items) some are mats used in crafting.

** One concern I see is that items used in decorating a stronghold are less and less likely to be found actually playing the game ( there use to be some interesting stuff even off of the cut and paste missions from the days of KotFE / ET).

** Fewer and fewer people really want to work at anything any more.

** The GTN seems to be a reflection of a much larger problem in the game. .... (Just my opinion) ... BUT there is so little of anything else to be done in game why not just buy stuff ... trade .. make credits. For many that's just plain boring. So what else is there to do ??? Make another alt to relive the days when it was fun to play the game and interact with each other and or our companions?

Reflections are real. They tell of a much larger story (if people really pay attention to the larger view). Even if those reflections are distorted (and they often can be) ... they still are there for a reason.

(On a side note I just updated my old STO LTS account. Funny thing: I suggested how it would be nice to have a 3-D print of our favorite ships. Looks like it's a thing now. Hmmm .. YUP I'm planning on taking advantage of that idea !!! )

Best of luck to everyone !!

Edited by OlBuzzard

I

** The GTN seems to be a reflection of a much larger problem in the game. .... (Just my opinion) ... BUT there is so little of anything else to be done in game why not just buy stuff ... trade .. make credits. For many that's just plain boring. So what else is there to do ??? Make another alt to relive the days when it was fun to play the game and interact with each other and or our companions?

The funny thing is, in the last 3 weeks or so, this is all I've been doing, haven't done any CQ, just logged in to Guild owners to keep the guild, logged in to toons in others guilds to keep them in it, and play the gtn. :eek:

The funny thing is, in the last 3 weeks or so, this is all I've been doing, haven't done any CQ, just logged in to Guild owners to keep the guild, logged in to toons in others guilds to keep them in it, and play the gtn. :eek:

Mostly the same except rerolling some Alts on DM to take advantage of double XP (we didn’t have many Alts there).

I’ve also been testing out the hyperinflation and tracking certain armor sets and their pricing. I think I’ve got the trend days on when to buy right now and that makes a big difference when the prices can have a 500,000,000 variance.

I ran a test to see if the prices on the GTN are reflective of supply and demand or some people have more credits/money than god.

I’m happy to say it’s probably because they’ve more credits than god. I sold some crafted dyes at stupid prices over the weekend and made a fortune. And it’s not a supply issue because the same dyes at lower prices didn’t sell.

So I was able to sell my cost free (no real money) crafted dyes for enough credits to then buy 3 armor sets that had been selling for 800,000,000 each last week.

Players would rather sit around fleet, complaining, or trying to out edge-lord each other than run any OP above SM.

I have sold a significant number of crafted items over the past three weeks. First week ? 360 M gross. Second week 180 M gross (time was spent elsewhere), this week? 110 M in two days. ** CRAFTED GOODS **.

Ironically, at this point, the only things I "want" are perhaps a weapon tuning or maybe an outfit.

There are a lot of factors pushing and pulling this issue. (I hesitate to call it a problem). F2P, Preferred vs Sub, the ability to buy in-game items with RW money and turn around and sell said items for in-game currency (<-- that will always be problematic), and I sure don't have an answer.

But if I, a person who has been playing less than three months (closer to two) have almost a billion credits generated overwhelmingly by selling crafted goods?

As somebody wiser than me once said, "MMO players are lazy".

This problem seems to be common on MMOs all over.

World of Warcraft used to have an unspoken rule about not overselling items that are worth pittance on vendor, but in recent years, thanks to Blizz creating utility mounts -- that have access to vendor, transmog, auction house, etc. -- that were set to the hundreds of thousands and millions of gold to purchase, things have taken the same turn in their Auction House as things have ended up in SWTOR's GTN.

In my opinion, there's one way to fix this:

-- Items that are posted in the GTN have a set limit cap of how much the poster can place. Average it, say, at only 5 times vendor value.

-- There is an uppermost cap on any price set on the GTN. No higher than say 1 million credits for a rare or legendary item.

There's still a chance to make a killing, but with these safeguards in place, folks can afford to buy stuff off the GTN, and those that are either credit sellers or scalpers looking to make billions just so they can brag can be stopped from inflating the markets unscrupulously.

Items that are posted in the GTN have a set limit cap of how much the poster can place. Average it, say, at only 5 times vendor value.

While that would help the "poor", nobody would put anything of (current) value on the GTN.

" WTS Tulak Horde's LS? PM for price. "

You’re right, that doesn’t solve anything at all. Most of the inflated items can’t be sold at a vendor anyway because they are CM items.

The only way to tackle inflation properly is reducing the amount of credits generated in the game and then adding credit sinks to remove some of the excessive amounts of credits already in the game.

BioWare are already planning to do the first part with the reduction in credits from conquest. Now they just need to add some cosmetic credits sinks and possibly consider adding a sliding scale on the GTN tax that targets the ultra wealthy.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

You’re right, that doesn’t solve anything at all. Most of the inflated items can’t be sold at a vendor anyway because they are CM items.

The only way to tackle inflation properly is reducing the amount of credits generated in the game and then adding credit sinks to remove some of the excessive amounts of credits already in the game.

BioWare are already planning to do the first part with the reduction in credits from conquest. Now they just need to add some cosmetic credits sinks and possibly consider adding a sliding scale on the GTN tax that targets the ultra wealthy.

What scale would you use to determine who counts as the ultra wealthy?