Time to take action against self-destructors

HrRav

There has not been many self-destructors around since the end of Galactic Season 1, but now I am afraid that this problem is returning. I just played a game on Darth Malgus where two players did nothing but self-destruct the entire game (except for taking time to mocking those of us who called out on their behaviour). They actually managed to die 34 and 33 times respectively, which is the worst result I have seen so far. (Fortunately for the rest of my team, it was a domination game and the rest of us were good enough to win the game anyway, although it was a close call.)

This kind of game sabotaging is really annoying and it is time that the devs do something about it. Of course, when you are new, it is easy to selfdestruct a few times (and this is not something they should be punished for) before you learn how much space you need for engine maneuvers, but I do not think that I have ever seen a newbie die more than 5-10 times in single game.

There are plenty of simple options that would discourage self-destructors. The most straightforward would be that a self-destruct should not count as contributing to the game---if you do not do anything but self-destruct you should be eligible for vote-kick. There could also be an upper cap for the number of self-destructs and if you exceed that limit you do not get any rewards from that game. I am sure that other players have more suggestions.

Edited by HrRav

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose a simple 'selfies - (kills+assists) > 5' should result with automatic match quit and 15+ min lock. Could be a quick fix and auto-working (I understand that game team has a more pressing concerns now and always - damage control after 7.0 downgrade takes absolute priority...).

I suppose a simple 'selfies - (kills+assists) > 5' should result with automatic match quit and 15+ min lock. Could be a quick fix and auto-working (I understand that game team has a more pressing concerns now and always - damage control after 7.0 downgrade takes absolute priority...).

That would single-handedly kill GSF, given that at least half the players normally have less than that from what I've seen.

I'm an ace pilot, who is capable of pulling down 25+ kills in a single match, and have been playing this mode for at least five years now. I self-destruct accidentally an average of once or twice a match, especially if I'm using retro thrusters and am in the heat of a big fight. And I've seen it happen to pilots who are way better than me. Imagine what would happen to someone who is new at this or doesn't fully understand the geometry of engine maneuvers if that option went live.

Would it be effective at stopping self-destructors? Yes. But a lot of newbies would get caught in the crossfire, and the mode is frustrating enough for folks who don't know why they die in three shots.

A more prudent idea would be to limit the number of self-destructing deaths that contribute to the enemy team's score. Maybe they only get up to three points from it. That way you take away the griefing abilities of self-destruct trolls while failing to completely punish new players.

Edited by Enticy

I'm an ace pilot, who is capable of pulling down 25+ kills in a single match, and have been playing this mode for at least five years now. I self-destruct accidentally an average of once or twice a match, especially if I'm using retro thrusters and am in the heat of a big fight. And I've seen it happen to pilots who are way better than me. Imagine what would happen to someone who is new at this or doesn't fully understand the geometry of engine maneuvers if that option went live.

Would it be effective at stopping self-destructors? Yes. But a lot of newbies would get caught in the crossfire, and the mode is frustrating enough for folks who don't know why they die in three shots.

A more prudent idea would be to limit the number of self-destructing deaths that contribute to the enemy team's score. Maybe they only get up to three points from it. That way you take away the griefing abilities of self-destruct trolls while failing to completely punish new players.

This is the way.

I dunno, all they would do is boost to mid, full stop, and wait to be executed. Never underestimate the ambition of a griefer/troll.

I would be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I'm not convinced there is an algorithmic way to determine who is an unfortunate noob, who is a reckless ace, and who is a griefer. Not with SWTOR's AI and certainly not anything that the Devs would publish to any detail. I suspect the best way is still human intuition on this topic, so I would love optimizing the reporting mechanisms and vote-kick systems to allow for self-policing.

I will support pretty much any genuine good-hearted attempt to remove griefers and improve the play experience for everyone.

This is a nice idea, but that means that any time a player is in trouble in a TDM game, they could self-destruct and come back with full health without the other team receiving any score.

This is a nice idea, but that means that any time a player is in trouble in a TDM game, they could self-destruct and come back with full health without the other team receiving any score.

Well, I said it was a more prudent idea, not a perfect idea. Honestly, there’s nothing mechanical I can think of to deter self destruct tactics that wouldn’t punish newer players, which is probably why BW hasn’t done anything about it.

Another game with a player who went 0-13 without damage. I don't get it. When you do not like the game mode why play it? (I know why but I hope you get me - there are other ways to get your gear and season points).

Why not even trying? The game will not be that much faster. But 11 other players have to suffer for this.

Maybe allow us to kick players who are not doing damage? I know this can also hurt new players. But something has to be done.

How do you find balance?

0 dmg and +5 deaths = kick? No because newbies exist.

No activity = kick ? The. People just boost to the enemy.

People always find a way.

Self destructors are at least distracting the enemy In a small way.

We should be talking about those idling over the spawn and afk then just move or shoot to get activity.

How do you find balance?

0 dmg and +5 deaths = kick? No because newbies exist.

No activity = kick ? The. People just boost to the enemy.

People always find a way.

Self destructors are at least distracting the enemy In a small way.

We should be talking about those idling over the spawn and afk then just move or shoot to get activity.

If you can distinguish between killed and self destruct than maybe 0dmg and 5 self destructs qualify to be kicked. Even as a new player thats really unlikely.

And I also do not like the afk people, but at least they may not cost you the win self dstructors are causing.

When you do not like the game mode why play it? (I know why but I hope you get me - there are other ways to get your gear and season points).

Because GSF is the most RELIABLE way to get gear.

Ops and FPs literally can't get you there (unless you're doing NiM ops).

Conquest gets you there much, much slower.

Warzones require you to win.

GSF you get gear for playing, win or lose.

Edited by Galbsadi

I said I know why. But than at least try playing it.

Its not only your time but also the time of other players who wants to enjoy this game mode.

Sounds to me like you're assuming other players are by and large not trying to play it, then. A more reasonable and believable situation would be that they don't know how to play. That's on BioWare, not them. You can't expect someone forced into content they don't enjoy to be an expert at that content. That'd be like NiM raiders being mad at you because you didn't know the strategies and mechanics for every boss if NiM raids were required for GSF ship upgrades.

I explained why they're there even if they hate it.

0-10 with zero damage is not "trying to play it" its NOT a hard game mode and there is plenty of advice out there but many players simply refuse to put even a minimum of effort into it. In virtually every competetive game you would be kicked for such behaviour. People fail to work with the team in raids get kicked, people who sabotage the team in FPs get kicked but in GSF such behaviour is sadly ignored or tolerated.

Dailies, weeklies and GS objectives should count only wins. That's all.

Any other option to punish saboteurs will backfire.

Horrible Idea. This had a very large affect on the queu times for ground PvP. Many stopped queu'ing because of this. GSF until 7.0 never really had a short enough queu time for BW to implement this. If this happens I'm sure most if not all of the people queu'ing do to the gearing system will abandon ship and the queu's will go back to at the very best pervious to 7.0, and before Galactic seasons.

Horrible Idea. This had a very large affect on the queu times for ground PvP. Many stopped queu'ing because of this. GSF until 7.0 never really had a short enough queu time for BW to implement this. If this happens I'm sure most if not all of the people queu'ing do to the gearing system will abandon ship and the queu's will go back to at the very best pervious to 7.0, and before Galactic seasons.

I'd rather have few good matches like old times, than suffer through sithload of matches full of noobs and self-destructors.

I'd rather have few good matches like old times, than suffer through sithload of matches full of noobs and self-destructors.

I've started doing GSF again since 7.0 I took a long break, and to be honest. I have seen very few self destructors in my many matches. I've seen a lot of noobs. There is nothing wrong with being a noob however. We all started doing GSF at some point, and they should be encouraged to improve.

I've started doing GSF again since 7.0 I took a long break, and to be honest. I have seen very few self destructors in my many matches. I've seen a lot of noobs. There is nothing wrong with being a noob however. We all started doing GSF at some point, and they should be encouraged to improve.

Some of them are just inexperienced players, there is no problem in that. As for the rest... Their problem is not in lack of skills, but in complete unwillingness to contribute. Why bother if you get reward anyway?

Maybe it's just bad luck, but it is really hard for me to find a team with truly active players during these Seasons.

I've seen a lot of noobs. There is nothing wrong with being a noob however. We all started doing GSF at some point, and they should be encouraged to improve.

Cannot agree more with you!

I also don't know what this one guy here wants to tell me... I am happy about every new player who tries out GSF. I often encourage my guildmates to join me for GSF (since years - not only for the season or easy gear).

It can be a great game mode and very awarding after you learned the basics. But people with zero damage and 10+ selfdesctructs are only there to abuse the system. Nobody can tell me something different.

Getting more than 10 selfdestructs is also very challenging to get in time. I don't think that a new player know about how to boost but cannot hit a single enemy...

Edited by kaymedic