2020 Greetings from Keith!

KeithKanneg

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

Happy 2020! It has been a little while since my last post and I wanted to kick the year off with a bit of an update. Before I do, I really want to say Thank You to everyone who has stayed with us and have joined us to play SWTOR. It’s been very exciting to see so many players on beginning and core worlds, participating with older expansion content, and joining us on Ossus, Onderon, Mek-Sha and Corellia. I continue to play the game a lot as I believe it’s vitally important to have the same type of experiences as our players. This enables me to leverage what I learn which helps guide future changes with our game.

I know a big question on your mind is, what is coming next? Here is a quick look at my thoughts on what is coming soon, and in the future:

• Tomorrow! – The Umbaran Patrol Tauntaun will kick off of as a “February” sub-reward. Be a subscriber at any time before Feb 29, starting tomorrow, and you will have the Tauntaun waiting for you in your in-game inbox.
  • Game Update 6.1 – Many of you had the chance to check out the Alderaan Stronghold and the upcoming class changes on PTS, and we really appreciate the feedback you provided. I am happy to announce (barring any emergencies), Game Update 6.1 will launch on Tuesday, February 11th.
  • Game Update 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 – Our next two game updates are currently scheduled to be pretty quick on the heels of 6.1. You should expect to see these updates in the next couple of months after 6.1 is live. They will include some new quality of life changes for Conquests, more class changes, Master Mode Dxun, and more! Stay tuned to the PTS forum for more details on specifically what is coming in each update.
  • 2020 – The team is working on a lot of exciting things for this year. We will really have a big focus on quality of life, updated stories, PvP improvements and much, much more. We want to ensure your time in SWTOR is very enjoyable by having plenty of activities, goals, and rewards.
  • Star Wars Celebration- Right now we are also looking forward to this year’s SW Celebration! We are planning to have a Cantina there and would love to see you all in person. We’ll have some cool announcements, swag, and many SWTOR developers available for you to meet.
  • 2021 – SWTOR’s 10th year! This seems like a great target to work towards doing something major…more to come, of course, but I wanted you to know we’re already starting to plan out the next few years.

Again, thanks for playing SWTOR and helping us make it an awesome experience for so many new players.

Respectfully,

-Keith----------

Edited by DanielSteed

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Happy 2020! It has been a little while since my last post and I wanted to kick the year off with a bit of an update. Before I do, I really want to say Thank You to everyone who has stayed with us and have joined us to play SWTOR. It’s been very exciting to see so many players on beginning and core worlds, participating with older expansion content, and joining us on Ossus, Onderon, Mek-Sha and Corellia. I continue to play the game a lot as I believe it’s vitally important to have the same type of experiences as our players. This enables me to leverage what I learn which helps guide future changes with our game.

I know a big question on your mind is, what is coming next? Here is a quick look at my thoughts on what is coming soon, and in the future:

• Tomorrow! – The Umbaran Patrol Tauntaun will kick off of as a “February” sub-reward. Be a subscriber at any time before Feb 29, starting tomorrow, and you will have the Tauntaun waiting for you in your in-game inbox.
  • Game Update 6.1 – Many of you had the chance to check out the Alderaan Stronghold and the upcoming class changes on PTS, and we really appreciate the feedback you provided. I am happy to announce (barring any emergencies), Game Update 6.1 will launch on Tuesday, February 11th.
  • Game Update 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 – Our next two game updates are currently scheduled to be pretty quick on the heels of 6.1. You should expect to see these updates in the next couple of months after 6.1 is live. They will include some new quality of life changes for Conquests, more class changes, Master Mode Dxun, and more! Stay tuned to the PTS forum for more details on specifically what is coming in each update.
  • 2020 – The team is working on a lot of exciting things for this year. We will really have a big focus on quality of life, updated stories, PvP improvements and much, much more. We want to ensure your time in SWTOR is very enjoyable by having plenty of activities, goals, and rewards.
  • Star Wars Celebration- Right now we are also looking forward to this year’s SW Celebration! We are planning to have a Cantina there and would love to see you all in person. We’ll have some cool announcements, swag, and many SWTOR developers available for you to meet.
  • 2021 – SWTOR’s 10th year! This seems like a great target to work towards doing something major…more to come, of course, but I wanted you to know we’re already starting to plan out the next few years.

Again, thanks for playing SWTOR and helping us make it an awesome experience for so many new players.

Respectfully,

-Keith----------

I suppose the structure is in place to do all the things you say you want to do coming in 2020. Good luck, and hopefully the game only improves as time goes on.

Thank you. Hope the changes people have requested (2nd floor and more rooms) are added to the stronghold.

Can't believe it will be 10 years next year but then I remembered the launch date was

December 20, 2011 so yea 10 years next December.

Edited by casirabit

I'm sorry Keith, but this is so... vague and not saying anything at all. You want us to be hyped, you got to throw us some more bones, other than "we have things planned this year, look forward to them!". For instance, during one of the livestreams inbetween Onslaught's announcement and release, the question was once again raised when we will finally see weapons for the outfit designer. The basic response boiled down to"we'll seriously look into it once we're done with Onslaught's initial release". This is probably the most requested QoL feature in the game, and has been for a couple years now. Tell us what you're working on and get us invested.

Hey everyone,

Respectfully,

-Keith----------

So in other words, we should un-sub after tomorrow and wait for an actual road map that aren't bug fixes and quality of life improvements? Kidding. :D

I really hope you have more to share in the very near future.

Hey everyone,

Happy 2020! .... I continue to play the game a lot as I believe it’s vitally important to have the same type of experiences as our players. This enables me to leverage what I learn which helps guide future changes with our game.

Respectfully,

-Keith----------

Hmm let me test this..

Whats your current personal most annoying No.1 Bug in the game:rak_02:

So in other words, we should un-sub after tomorrow and wait for an actual road map that aren't bug fixes and quality of life improvements? Kidding. :D

I really hope you have more to share in the very near future.

Agreed. Except for the February sub reward what else is there? I don't do strongholds and happy for those who do.

This is the saddest vision that I have seen for an MMO and perhaps perfect time to take a long break until the 10th anniversary. I don't see any enticements past the sub reward to keep on wasting real money until there is a real vision and roadmap for this once great MMO.

Thank you for your continued work on the game Keith. Among the planned QoL improvements, I hope you guys consider fixing the Green Color Crystal which has emitted a yellowish-green color rather than the deep, sharp green color we saw in SWTOR's promo images and beta. I look forward to what you guys have in store for us for SWTOR's 10th anniversary and beyond :D Edited by Talon_strikes

Do you have a link that provides a reason why? That's a real shame

Here's Eric's post on roadmaps.

We talked about this last year as well but just a reminder that we have moved away from the big form roadmaps that we used to post. Instead we try to lean more on updates via PTS, posts, livestreams, and blogs. So you should expect to see more about what is beyond 6.1 as we get closer to / beyond its launch. With that said, that doesn't mean Keith will stop swinging in to give you some longer term updates. I would expect before the end of January to see Keith in the forums to give you a bit of a welcome to 2020 which will likely contain some hints at what we are looking at doing this year.

Wow 9 years? I was thinking 8 years for some reason. I'm guessing the 2020 budget got approved and implemented. Congrats SWTOR! Another year :D

Class changes and NiM Dxun are what I'm most excited about.

Keith, any chance we have a solo boss coming soon too? (in the same vein as Queen, CM, or Golden Furry)

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

[*]Game Update 6.1.1 and 6.1.2 – Our next two game updates are currently scheduled to be pretty quick on the heels of 6.1. You should expect to see these updates in the next couple of months after 6.1 is live. They will include some new quality of life changes for Conquests, more class changes, Master Mode Dxun, and more! Stay tuned to the PTS forum for more details on specifically what is coming in each update.

So a stronghold gets over a month of pts testing and its own update, bit NiM Dxun, most likely the only raid we’re getting for a year (or more), is just thrown out there as “oh yeah, that’s also coming in 6.1.2”?

Dxun needs to have extensive pts testing or the launch is going to be filled with bugs and poor tuning

Please don’t sweet the most important content of the year under the rug

As in updated old stories? Yes? :) Or just continuation of the ones we have?

Personally I am hoping for updates in the sense of new stories. The class stories I find generally perfect, and the kinds of changes I'd want to story content like KotFE/ET are so comprehensive that massive retcons would be required (which I can't see BW doing). So new content taking the current story forward is what I hope Keith meant.

Edited by Estelindis

Personally I am hoping for updates in the sense of new stories. The class stories I find generally perfect, and the kinds of changes I'd want to story content like KotFE/ET are so comprehensive that massive retcons would be required (which I can't see BW doing). So new content taking the current story forward is what I hope Keith meant.

My one big fantasy is that somehow the original class stories at some point are updated to tie in better with KOTFE/KOTET and beyond, and that might take a bit of explaining.

From a force user perspective, it seems that we have a case of grade inflation with the force. Force inflation, if you will. On Tython, we have Flingeld struggling to channel the force and feeling as though he must cheat in the process, while a woman on Tython had no idea she was force-sensitive until an adult. We go from that to the emperor who's essentially a god in KOTFE/KOTET.

Along that spectrum, we have our hapless padawan we're playing, diddling around on various planets trying to stop a plague, but doing interesting things along the way that give us pause regarding situations in later stories.

For example, on Taris, our hero must get open a huge metal door in a chemical plant to rescue some workers, and to do so, uses the force to shred the absolute crap out of a metal door easily a meter thick. But on Ziost, this same force user requires an over-the-shoulder launcher to blow open a circular door in order to get to the upper reaches of a tower in order to continue the fight. Um... why didn't he just use the force to shred that door to pieces as well? Just to accommodate a story that might be played by a smuggler who needs the stupid weapon? Can't we even have such a little bit of variation in the story there as to accommodate a force wielder shredding open a metal door versus a force-blind person like a smuggler or trooper having to grab a weapon to achieve the same affect? Really people?

Another example, Arn, on Onderon, is asked to sense who is where by his newly acquired master. He senses kitchen help on a lower level (but can't find Lana nearby via his force clairvoyance because she's actually out by the main gate and nowhere near him). The force user we play, however, at no point in any of the original class stories displays such force clairvoyance, to any degree, for had he (or she) done so, we'd have known almost immediately certain situations without having to go investigate --- shall I go look for Qyzen, Master? Ah, I need to find Lars Baddig! I need to track down (fill in the blank). The original class stories are chuck full of cases where our hapless hero must track someone down. Physically. Without any force clairvoyance.

I call that force inflation. The more the story progresses, the more varied the ways the force is depicted in use, but not by our character. People like Arn. And to various degrees.

I suppose I'm asking for a retcon of the original class stories to bring them more in line with the potential variety of use of the force, even if our pre-Barsen'thor character may not necessarily be strong enough on his/her own to manifest such abilities.

Just seems like there's this constant disconnect between the old and new stories that I'd like to see better-woven into something that's in less contention with itself.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Thank you Keith for the info! We are all looking forward for the improvements, lets hope you guys get it right! As some people mentioned it would be nice if future content wouldnt mean farming/grinding the 1st flashpoint the game introduced :)

Scusi....but isn't Esseles/Black Talon the 1st? Hammertime Station 2nd? 🤓🤓

Edited by Rion_Starkiller