Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Petition: Server Transfers

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
05.06.2016 , 11:12 AM | #291
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthWoad View Post
Snarky? I think you mistake the tone of my comments to your own. I'd rather not break the forum rules and i'd rather be respectful when I post.
So I will take that to mean you are done issuing me snark.

By any measure, telling people who disagree and comment about an emotional direction in a thread to ignore the thread = snark. And all of us regulars in the forum are guilty of it from time to time.

Snark by the way is not against the forum rules. But it is snark.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

DarthWoad
05.06.2016 , 11:13 AM | #292
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
So I will take that to mean you are done issuing me snark.

By any measure, telling people who disagree and comment about an emotional direction in a thread to ignore the thread = snark.

Snark by the way is not against the forum rules. But it is snark.
I don't see what your post has anything to do with this thread topic. All you're doing is creating more unnecessary drama. I don't see any of my posts as being snarky, maybe you read them in a different way. I'm not here to attack you or anyone.
Founder of The Old Republic
Returning to the game? Get 7 days FREE subscription by clicking here

Andryah
05.06.2016 , 11:16 AM | #293
I don't see what your post has anything to do with this thread topic. All you're doing is creating more unnecessary drama.
My comment was specific to encouraging posters to be at least aware that forum drama can have consequences opposite of what they want.

I don't see what your comment telling me to leave or ignore the thread has to do with the topic of the thread.

All you were doing is derailing the thread topic with off topic swipes at me.

Are we done now? Can we return to regular drama now?
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Gecko_sloth
05.06.2016 , 11:16 AM | #294
Just read through all 30 pages in this topic.

People can be strange sometimes. The want for instant gratification seems to have resulted in a cascading shift in server populations. It's funny when I think about it, the server that I've played on since ToR released, was largely considered one of the less popular and lesser populated servers, and now it seems to be one of the greatest from the talk I've been reading in General chat. All the while that this has been going on, I've never given much though to how many people might be online. Well, come rain or shine, I'll still be on my home server until either it gets merged or the end times come for the game.

Anywho, not to detract too much from the topic,

+1 to helping people enjoy the game (joining more populated servers if they wish to)

Andryah
05.06.2016 , 11:18 AM | #295
Quote: Originally Posted by Gecko_sloth View Post
Just read through all 30 pages in this topic.

People can be strange sometimes. The want for instant gratification seems to have resulted in a cascading shift in server populations. It's funny when I think about it, the server that I've played on since ToR released, was largely considered one of the less popular and lesser populated servers, and now it seems to be one of the greatest from the talk I've been reading in General chat. All the while that this has been going on, I've never given much though to how many people might be online. Well, come rain or shine, I'll still be on my home server until either it gets merged or the end times come for the game.

Anywho, not to detract too much from the topic,

+1 to helping people enjoy the game (joining more populated servers if they wish to)
I applaud your viewpoint and outlook. I wish there was more of it in the forum.

Ratajack
05.06.2016 , 11:18 AM | #296
SmW is probably the largest guild on TOFN. If you saw last week they got 11m conquest points. So a lot of characters and players are in that guild. I guess they dind't want to leave because they felt they could try save the community, yet shortly after they decided to stay, people kept leaving and leaving, and now they are asking to transfer.

I wouldn't entirely blame them though. They had to make a decision...ask each and every one of their guild members to move....and risk splitting the guild in half, losing their guild ship etc...or to stay and keep the guild. They decided to stay. Bioware said they would give "a couple of weeks notice" before they increased the price again, but it was only a weeks notice before they increased the price. AFAIK, everyone in the guild decided to remain.

People who say "he made the wrong choice" are correct, but it was a difficult choice to make. There are a lot of problems and issues when transferring over 500 players to another server, and at the time, they felt it was the right choice to stay. They didn't know how quickly the server would die. No one could have predicted that.
It may have been a "difficult choice", but it was still HIS CHOICE.

He made the WRONG choice.

The fact that it was a "difficult choice" does not entitle him or his guild to a "do over" or free transfers.

DarthWoad
05.06.2016 , 11:19 AM | #297
My comment was specific to encouraging posters to be at least aware that forum drama can have consequences opposite of what they want.

I don't see what your comment telling me to leave or ignore the thread has to do with the topic of the thread.

All you were doing is derailing the thread topic with off topic swipes at me.

Are we done now? Can we return to regular drama now?
You were commenting on the thread drama and told people to just "move on". I responded to your problematic post and now I feel you're attack and poking me for something I didn't do, as if you're trying to get a negative reaction out of me (and therefore me breaking forum rules). I'm just trying to be respectful as I can be and have a good discussion about the topic, and I would hope that you intended to do the same.

Yes, we can return to the topic discussion now. I would appreciate it if you'd stop attacking and swiping and poking me now. Thanks

Freiden
05.06.2016 , 11:29 AM | #298
However, in this case this is about players choices impacting the play experience of other players. It is not the studios fault that players up and decided to move to another server. The studio gave all players equal opportunity and then let them make choices. And.. choices do have consequences in a multi-player game, including the choices made by other players. MMO players need to learn this and to be aware of what is going on around them in the context of other players.
Exactly, choices have consequences. In this case it was the decision from Bioware to remove a 95% discount on transfers with only 6 days warning for players to make their decision that spurred a panic exodus from players. So as I said, Bioware indirectly caused this issue. The fact that it will only harm their player base if they take no steps to solve this issue one way or another will be the consequence for Bioware. The consequence for the people left on TOFN for one reason or other, be it stubborness, faith that the server will survive the flock mentality of the panic exodus or any other reason is that they will have to live on a dead server or quit the game.

In the end the blame doesn't lie at one party but several parties feels the consequence of the choices made, and as I wrote earlier, this benefits nobody.

DarthWoad
05.06.2016 , 11:32 AM | #299
Quote: Originally Posted by Freiden View Post
Exactly, choices have consequences. In this case it was the decision from Bioware to remove a 95% discount on transfers with only 6 days warning for players to make their decision that spurred a panic exodus from players. So as I said, Bioware indirectly caused this issue. The fact that it will only harm their player base if they take no steps to solve this issue one way or another will be the consequence for Bioware. The consequence for the people left on TOFN for one reason or other, be it stubborness, faith that the server will survive the flock mentality of the panic exodus or any other reason is that they will have to live on a dead server or quit the game.

In the end the blame doesn't lie at one party but several parties feels the consequence of the choices made, and as I wrote earlier, this benefits nobody.
I agree completely. Bioware gave 6 days warning instead of a couple weeks warning, and it's made guilds make bad choices which has ruined their experience with the game.

Andryah
05.06.2016 , 11:36 AM | #300
Quote: Originally Posted by Freiden View Post

Technically, the studio indirectly caused this issue by releasing an MMO and letting anyone who wants to play... play the game. MMOs by definition change over time, and a lot about game play IS influenced by the actions of other players.

Even if they had given a full two weeks notice, or even a months notice..... nothing different would be happening on the servers or in the forum over this. People rationalize and procrastinate all the time, in real life and inside virtual games. Some of these same people will complain and blame when they make choices they later regret.

No amount of notice, or action by the studio would stop silly petition threads, much less dramatic complaint threads.

Petition threads by the way are frowned upon by the studio. Back in the day, they deleted them. Now days... the studio gives the forum community a bit more latitude, which is good as long as it does not get abused, IMO.