Security Key Battery Change?

Corraldh

Login to your account on the website and click on the security key option on the side. you should be able to get the code there. That's how I did it to get my phone app working.

Fairly easy to do, just follow the instructions. Good luck.

Make sure you took the app option and not the change keys option. For the key portion it wants the 10 digit sn off the back of the fob. Using the app it will give you 2 sets of numbers to plug into the app and then ask you to tell it the first key generated.

Oh, yeah! I tried that once. The display went all bonkers, so I got out my Dremel tool and tried to get the thing apart, assuming once I did the battery would be pretty standard and I could, you know, use some gorilla glue to get it back together.

(SNORT!) Well, it was broken anyway, so the fact that I turned it into a steaming pile of poo is no big deal. Took quite awhile to get switched over to Android, but after copious amounts of profanity all is better now! :-)

Edited by MSchuyler

I laugh, because the "Security Key" was hacked. I've never used it, and I ain't been hacked yet.... It's just another layer of inconvenience to me. Why should I respect it? Why should anyone worry over it ( aside from the the security Key vendor, which is a huge fail)?

I laugh, because the "Security Key" was hacked.

Uh huh...sure.

I've never used it, and I ain't been hacked yet.... It's just another layer of inconvenience to me. Why should I respect it? Why should anyone worry over it ( aside from the the security Key vendor, which is a huge fail)?

I prefer as much distance between a would-be virtual thief and myself as possible, especially for something I've put way too many hours of time into. Also, the vendor and free 100 CCs each month doesn't hurt either.

• 5 years later...
Just going to have a go to replace my battery as I get Batt 03 when I press now. Havn't played in a while.

I'm not familiar with the particular key fob used by SWTOR, but, from past experience with similar devices I would suggest that you would need to keep a constant power source on the device while replacing the battery. Generally speaking, in these devices, the internal 'code' is lost if the power dies.

Without seeing the internals, I'd suggest that simply plugging it into an active USB port may keep the power alive, but it may actually need to have voltage applied at the battery terminals.

I'm not familiar with the particular key fob used by SWTOR, but, from past experience with similar devices I would suggest that you would need to keep a constant power source on the device while replacing the battery. Generally speaking, in these devices, the internal 'code' is lost if the power dies.

As reported by some others who attempted to change the battery in their key fob, the codes no longer worked after the battery change. The better solution would be to just use one of the many other 2FA apps or programs available.

As reported by some others who attempted to change the battery in their key fob, the codes no longer worked after the battery change. The better solution would be to just use one of the many other 2FA apps or programs available.

Yes, and that's usually because the they didn't maintain voltage while swapping out the battery. In the similar devices I've worked on, the specific base 'code' was held in a small bit of CMOS memory**. If the voltage drops below a certain threshold, the contents of the CMOS is lost and the device no longer functions properly. So, the main issue is you can't just pull out the old battery and put in a new one - the battery voltage needs to be constant. You'd basically want to connect a power supply(set to the proper voltage) or another battery in parallel, while you swap the battery. (Disclaimer: Even that might not work with the fobs.)

** similar to the way the 'clock' and some other settings are held in a bit of CMOS memory on your motherboard.

you don't actually have to maintain voltage, there's a simpler way....

Step 1:

remove keyfob from account

Step 2:

Change Battery

Step 3:

add keyfob back to account (which will force it through verification)

they work the same way that the application versions do, except instead of using a date, they use a counter... remove the battery, the counter gets reset. (hence why you don't want it active when you change the battery, because the game and fob counters will be out of synch)

PS

personally I'd recommend the application version, andd get the manual key text to use in the authenticator of your choice.... several like last pass, keepass, etc will spit out all your creddentials including the authentication number automatically which makes logins super fast

you don't actually have to maintain voltage, there's a simpler way....

Step 1:

remove keyfob from account

Step 2:

Change Battery

Step 3:

add keyfob back to account (which will force it through verification)

Have you done it? There are security tokens where the secret key (encoded in the serial number on the sticker) is stored in memory and lost when the power fails (cheaper for production, and an aditional security layer vs. tampering or reverse engineering). In that case after the battery was replaced, the key would no longer be a secret to you (likely '0') but you'd have no clue of how to generate the matching serial number to tell it to the server.

Anyway, after seeing the video of how the identically built WOW token defies any attempts at opening it without destroying the case, I'd rather use a key app on my phone than some rickety contraption held together by duct tape. (Although the cynic in me just remarked that it would kinda represent the state of the game)

Edited by Mubrak

Have you done it?

tried it with my old one when someone else reported similar results a few years back (can probably still find the thread here)

There are security tokens where the secret key (encoded in the serial number on the sticker) is stored in memory and lost when the power fails (cheaper for production, and an aditional security layer vs. tampering or reverse engineering). In that case after the battery was replaced, the key would no longer be a secret to you (likely '0') but you'd have no clue of how to generate the matching serial number to tell it to the server.

these are definitely not those... also those are actually more expensive, and can't be stored as long

Anyway, after seeing the video of how the identically built WOW token defies any attempts at opening it without destroying the case, I'd rather use a key app on my phone than some rickety contraption held together by duct tape. (Although the cynic in me just remarked that it would kinda represent the state of the game)

exacto-knife and a spudger, with 2 drops of CA glue to put it back together

but as others have noted, using an authenticator app on your pc is much more convenient, since at the very worst you can cut and paste it, or if you have one of the better password lockers it'll fill it in for you.

Edited by Void_Singer

• 3 weeks later...

This is my second security key. My first one was lost. Bought a second one and had it since the beginning of the game. Now, it seems I'll have to either use another version of a security log in or remove the key, change the battery and reinstall it.

Man, I can't believe this game is nearly ten years old.

Tried this today on two SWTOR security keys. After changing the battery, neither work. Both just showed 88888888, the number stayed and did not fade after a few seconds. So could not reset.

RSA verified keyfobs are not supposed to work if you tamper with them, that includes changing the battery. I don't know why people are trying to. The whole point of these things is security. It's not secure if you can open it.

Edited by StockThorax