Khem Val and Light side Assassin

Sappharan

Okay, so I am FINALLY completing my assassin's story (she's pure light side...against the empire) and I have come to the point on Ossus where assassins reconnect with Khem Val. He is pure evil. I am HIGHLY disappointed with the conversation options because I am light side and I am actively engaged in sabotaging the empire by all means available to me. So why am I stuck with conversation options that either enthusiastically condone what he (Khem Val) is about to do, or at best mildly dismiss what he's about to do?

Is there a way to avoid this conversation? What annoys me almost as much is that I cannot avoid the conversation. It's not a side quest I can ignore, it's part of the MAIN STORY!

If you're light side, how did you handle this?

I took the not so enthusiastic response and then headcanoned annoyance and disapproval. Then when I met Khem later for the return AA I grudgingly took Khem back because I felt that it was better to have Khem on a leash and under my control rather than running free.

I took the not so enthusiastic response and then headcanoned annoyance and disapproval. Then when I met Khem later for the return AA I grudgingly took Khem back because I felt that it was better to have Khem on a leash and under my control rather than running free.

Thank you. I guess that is only option.

I also figured that with Major Anri close by, my assassin had to maintain the pretense of being evil...or at least merciless where Jedi are concerned.

Note also that "light side Sith" doesn't mean "good person pretending to be Sith". It's better to describe it as "person who's less bad than other Sith" or "bad person who uses that badness to make stuff better".

If you want to be an actual *good* person playing as a Force user, you should be a Shadow rather than an Assassin.

That said, many(1) of Khem's reactions to things favour the Inquisitor being, well, um, an evil son (or daughter) of an unwed mother, so it is at least in character *for*him*. Shame there isn't an option better suited to a light side Sith, though.

(1) Not all. See for example his reactions to what you can say when you give the tablet to Skotia's bodyguards. He approves only the *light* option.

Note also that "light side Sith" doesn't mean "good person pretending to be Sith". It's better to describe it as "person who's less bad than other Sith" or "bad person who uses that badness to make stuff better".

If you want to be an actual *good* person playing as a Force user, you should be a Shadow rather than an Assassin.

That said, many(1) of Khem's reactions to things favour the Inquisitor being, well, um, an evil son (or daughter) of an unwed mother, so it is at least in character *for*him*. Shame there isn't an option better suited to a light side Sith, though.

(1) Not all. See for example his reactions to what you can say when you give the tablet to Skotia's bodyguards. He approves only the *light* option.

My head canon is a bit different. My light sided sith are truly compassionate, benevolent beings. But, they're the very rare exception.

FWIW, I have a Shadow too. Started the Shadow after finding I liked the play of the Assassin. Both are light aligned.

Part of the reason I love playing light side Sith (I don't have but two non Force wielding classes) is subverting the expectations of the NPCs. There is something very compelling about the perception of evil in another person being subverted by witnessing an act of kindness or mercy by the same prejudging person. I love that.

Edited by Sappharan

My head canon is a bit different. My light sided sith are truly compassionate, benevolent beings. But, they're the very rare exception.

FWIW, I have a Shadow too. Started the Shadow after finding I liked the play of the Assassin. Both are light aligned.

Part of the reason I love playing light side Sith (I don't have but two non Force wielding classes) is subverting the expectations of the NPCs. There is something very compelling about the perception of evil in another person being subverted by witnessing an act of kindness or mercy by the same prejudged person. I love that.

Amazing how often the person (usually a Jedi, ironically enough) accusing a LS Sith of being 'Dark' and 'Evil' turns out themselves to be selfish, lying, manipulative, vengeful - in other words, the 'Dark' one... huh?

Examples; Noman Karr from the Warrior storyline, who with a Light Sith can turn out to be so Dark it horrifies Jaesa, and my personal favorite, Nomar Organa from the Inquisitor storyline who, after a Light Sith spares his life, plays matchmaker, and even convinces Organa's ex-fiance to forgive him and take him back.... abandons her for a second time and comes after the Inquisitor to kill him because 'Sith are always evil'...

Sadly enough, I think the only companions who really reject the player's character in any way for acting contrary to that companion's own alignment are romanced Elara for Troopers* and Koth for all characters**. Any other rejections are the player rejecting the companion's offer to join them...

*Elara dumps the player if they've sacrificed civilians and executed Jorgan.

**Koth leaves the Alliance, steals the Gravestone, etc. if the player has taken choices that make civilians, especially Zakuulan ones, suffer claiming that they're 'no better than Arcann and Vaylin'.

Amazing how often the person (usually a Jedi, ironically enough) accusing a LS Sith of being 'Dark' and 'Evil' turns out themselves to be selfish, lying, manipulative, vengeful - in other words, the 'Dark' one... huh?

Examples; Noman Karr from the Warrior storyline, who with a Light Sith can turn out to be so Dark it horrifies Jaesa, and my personal favorite, Nomar Organa from the Inquisitor storyline who, after a Light Sith spares his life, plays matchmaker, and even convinces Organa's ex-fiance to forgive him and take him back.... abandons her for a second time and comes after the Inquisitor to kill him because 'Sith are always evil'...

Sadly enough, I think the only companions who really reject the player's character in any way for acting contrary to that companion's own alignment are romanced Elara for Troopers* and Koth for all characters**. Any other rejections are the player rejecting the companion's offer to join them...

**Koth leaves the Alliance, steals the Gravestone, etc. if the player has taken choices that make civilians, especially Zakuulan ones, suffer claiming that they're 'no better than Arcann and Vaylin'.

Koth's an idiot. He's not the worst, but he whines a lot about how great valkorion was without even considering an opposing point of view (or several), never mind that he's aware of the war of conquest started by valkorion. He's myopic cretin. However, I'll never understand players wanting to off him, but when he leaves, I'm like, "later..." because I just don't give a hair rat's tail.

Koth's an idiot. He's not the worst, but he whines a lot about how great valkorion was without even considering an opposing point of view (or several), never mind that he's aware of the war of conquest started by valkorion. He's myopic cretin.

Honestly, based on some of the scenes with Koth, I don't think he had a problem with the whole idea of Zakuul conquering the galaxy - he probably rationalised with some good old fashioned 'we're bringing a better quality of life and better leadership to these people, raising them up to Zakuul's standard' claptrap - his only problem was killing civilians. I actually suspect that if he hadn't been ordered to fire on that crowd, he would have gone right on supporting Arcann and the Eternal Empire...

However, I'll never understand players wanting to off him, but when he leaves, I'm like, "later..." because I just don't give a hair rat's tail.

I can kind of understand. I mean, if he had just left, that'd be one thing. But he attempted to steal the one weapon proven effective against the Eternal Fleet in the process, ignoring the potential consequences if he'd been successful...

Edited by turbomagnus

Re Elara:

She dumps the player even if the player left Jorgan alive. Killing / letting die the citizens on Zakuul (Chapter III and Chapter X) is enough.

Honestly, based on some of the scenes with Koth, I don't think he had a problem with the whole idea of Zakuul conquering the galaxy - he probably rationalised with some good old fashioned 'we're bringing a better quality of life and better leadership to these people, raising them up to Zakuul's standard' claptrap - his only problem was killing civilians. I actually suspect that if he hadn't been ordered to fire on that crowd, he would have gone right on supporting Arcann and the Eternal Empire...

I can kind of understand. I mean, if he had just left, that'd be one thing. But he attempted to steal the one weapon proven effective against the Eternal Fleet in the process, ignoring the potential consequences if he'd been successful...

Fair points. I will need to consider those.

I would love for all of our romance options to be influenced by our own decisions, even our companions, as well. I mean I think it would be awesome to see Aric Jorgan join the Empire or see Lord Scourge join the Republic, solely based on character choices. I would love to see ALL romance choices go either light side or dark side. I've never seen a game where the possibility could be your companions become as twisted and dark as you are or as light and forgiving as you are. I want to see Theron Shan and Lana finally join a side and become as dark or as light as the player wants them to be. Same goes for all companions, would love to see Aric Jorgan's mind become dark and as twisted as the dark side. Edited by SithLordSheevaKy

I would love for all of our romance options to be influenced by our own decisions, even our companions, as well. I mean I think it would be awesome to see Aric Jorgan join the Empire or see Lord Scourge join the Republic, solely based on character choices. I would love to see ALL romance choices go either light side or dark side. I've never seen a game where the possibility could be your companions become as twisted and dark as you are or as light and forgiving as you are. I want to see Theron Shan and Lana finally join a side and become as dark or as light as the player wants them to be. Same goes for all companions, would love to see Aric Jorgan's mind become dark and as twisted as the dark side.

That would be interesting. A bit like the miraluka character in KOTORII (at least for me her alignment wanted to be dark, but eventually I brought her to the side of the Light)

I romanced Jaesa with my female Warrior who is light side. That was an awesome payoff.

I would love for all of our romance options to be influenced by our own decisions, even our companions, as well. I mean I think it would be awesome to see Aric Jorgan join the Empire or see Lord Scourge join the Republic, solely based on character choices.

It should *also* be based on the character and personality of the companion, not just on the player's choices.

Hmmm. No. Not "also", but "above all".

I would love to see ALL romance choices go either light side or dark side. I've never seen a game where the possibility could be your companions become as twisted and dark as you are or as light and forgiving as you are. I want to see Theron Shan and Lana finally join a side and become as dark or as light as the player wants them to be.

Lana *did* join a side, specifically *your* side. She *absolutely* backs the player character, but, and this is as it should be, she does it as *Lana*, not as an extension of the player-character's will.

It's quite reasonable to say the same about Theron as well, but not quite in the same way as for Lana.

Same goes for all companions, would love to see Aric Jorgan's mind become dark and as twisted as the dark side.

But then he wouldn't be Aric Jorgan any more, just as neither Dark Jaesa nor Light Jaesa is really the same person as Jaesa Wilsaam was during the second part of Chapter 1 of the Sith Warrior story.