Does Anyone Like Sgt. Rusk? (some spoilers)

Pilgrim_Grey

Sgt. who? Oh right...Rusk...that pointy headed lump of uselessness that I have to look at every time I go in and out of my ship. I wish I could swap the places my companions hang out on my ship. I'd put T7 in his place so we could high five when I'm coming and going instead of having to look at that ugly mug. I would cover his face with a helmet, but alas, that's not a viable solution. Bioware should implement a special paper bag helmet for Rusk only so that I don't have to look at his face. Or maybe one where I can just push him out of the airlock. I have a standing rule that he always wears the handmaiden skirt because his tough guy attitude drives me insane and I want to take him down a peg.

hahaha dang man, this is so cold its funny i feel bad for laughing but the things rusk has done are horrible.

No, because then people would take the option to not take them, then complain that they don't have a healer, or they don't have as many companions for crafting.

It's like in beta it was possible to kill your companions (in fact, one warrior companion I wish it still was. I totally would give him up now that I can replace his combat role with Treek) but people actually DID... and realized that with no going back, they were screwed.

Now, granted maybe a better writing job on why you agree to take them with you, but to actually make them optional.... Just not possible.

There is one other BH companion a lot of people have a problem with and that's the one on Tatooine... I'll talk about it in spoiler tags.

/snip

I didnt have problems with that companion, but with the other one Belsavis..... omg.... that's by far the most unpleasant, hateful and repellent companion that comes to my mind. It was really aggravating letting that one on the ship :mad:

Killing companion ? I don't care much for that.... though some of them being optional would be nice. And it doesnt have to be like a "permanent" thing. I mean, you tell them "no" and they just kinda stay in their recruiting planet or something. Then you could have a quest to pick up on your ship (if you want ofc) to get that companion, just by holocall, "hey dude, been thinking... you seem like a massive d-bag but no matter, wanna come with ?"

Done... you give players the option and it wont be a problem if they change their minds afterwards....

I didnt have problems with that companion, but with the other one Belsavis..... omg.... that's by far the most unpleasant, hateful and repellent companion that comes to my mind. It was really aggravating letting that one on the ship :mad:

Killing companion ? I don't care much for that.... though some of them being optional would be nice. And it doesnt have to be like a "permanent" thing. I mean, you tell them "no" and they just kinda stay in their recruiting planet or something. Then you could have a quest to pick up on your ship (if you want ofc) to get that companion, just by holocall, "hey dude, been thinking... you seem like a massive d-bag but no matter, wanna come with ?"

Done... you give players the option and it wont be a problem if they change their minds afterwards....

Yeah, I like the BH's Tatooine companion too, but I've seen a lot of players that complain about the deception and lies involved with his recruitment, that they don't feel their character would stoop to that level of deception.

Are all the companions forced to come with you?

I don't know if this has been answered but only in the final fight are you required to have a specific companion which is really frustrating spent the whole game building up another companion.

I don't know if this has been answered but only in the final fight are you required to have a specific companion which is really frustrating spent the whole game building up another companion.

Yeah, always hated those "You must have this companion" fights... because it's hard enough keeping my own gear and the companion I am using most geared up, but having to keep 6 companions totally geared because I MIGHT be forced to use them? So annoying.

• 2 years later...

If you max out his affection you get a tiny hint that sort of justifies how cold and robotic he is. However it comes at the very end and there is no story content with him afterwards so it kind of just glimmers and then disappears.

I read his description before getting him and figured he'd be a rough, surly, anti-hero so I thought it was cool that they played him against type by making him coldly efficient. However, once he's onboard Rusk stays completely static and has no connection with the over all plot.

He is, however, awesome to play with. I love going double DPS and having my Jedi Sentinel leap at guys while Rusk mows them down with his cannon.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah... While talking to him isn't horrible and he seems decent enough, he obviously shows a "do what it takes at all costs, even if it gets me and my men killed" attitude that is just terrible. On Hoth, I actually didn't realize that depending on where you chose to go changes the outcome of the major fight. I figure taking on an "Immortal" creature would be better for me than the squad. Well, it didn't work out as planned-- and he didn't seem to care that his entire squad was massacred. He just sees his people as numbers.

I don't like him but I don't really hate him either. I'm just ambivalent to him. I actually disliked Doc more because he's just a dick.

If you're playing a "for the Republic!" sort of Jedi who dips dark side for a "greater good" sort of justification rather than full on "unlimited power" then he's really the only companion choice that meshes with you. Scourge hates the Republic and Jedi authority too much, T7 gets sad and confused, Kira gets angry, and Doc gets emo. I guess your ship droid is sort of an indifferent sycophant. :p

I think Rusk is intended to be a sad/ironic character--in his zeal to serve the Republic, he betrays its ideals.

The "problem" with him (outside of a somewhat bland personality) is that he doesn't really work for "full on darkside" or "full on lightside" characters, which I believe the majority of people play for min/max reasons.

I like to think that due to his repeatedly stated admiration for the Jedi (or at least aspects), that my fully light side Jedi keeps him around hoping to be a good influence on him and free his noble traits from his dark side tendencies. This has the added benefit of no longer endangering people under his command.

It's a shame the writing/game doesn't allow you to have a bigger impact on your companions or their outlooks/alignment--redeem Scourge, turn T7 into an Assasstromech droid, etc.

Edited by Strref

I think Rusk is awesome. He's my favorite Knight companion by far. As noted above, he fills that necessary "ends justify the means" militaristic role. Without him, the crew would be all goody goody except for one darkity dark dark Sith.

People also seem to think he's going to cross some imaginary line and do something truly abhorrent, even though his conversation quests are specifically about how he definitely won't.

The only downside of Rusk is that he's one of the many companions who just kind of hang out for one planet and then never become relevant again.

• 5 years later...
I feel like I'm gonna start a playthrough as the dumbest Jedi in the galaxy and I'm almost certain Rusk will approve most of my actions. Man sometimes dialog options just help your character embrace his monkey brain and I want to have Rusk standing there behind him, nodding and calculating percentages. Just feels like a perfect duo.