The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

as always, nearly every run could get a mention but two recently have stuck out..

depths of manaan.. get zoned into an in progress run, and as expected they're at ortuno. its a 4 dps group - sorc op merc and myself the PT, so I assume my usual position as meat shield and tell group to watch koltos for me. that didn't happen, so I die running trying to get to a kolto on time. operative throws me a rez, but this time I pay a little bit more attention to the heals I'm receiving. none. no koltos, no off heals. so naturally I melt and we wipe.

the merc then gets on my back calling me an idiot and then leaves (I tend to tank him as if I'm in tank gear, keeping him in one spot as to mitigate lighting puddles area dmg). I get a message from this merc again reminding me of just how stupid I am. I decide to respond to them mentioning that no koltos were clicked, and no one was bothering to off heal me, and not even a tank would have stayed up in those conditions, and that if even a smidge of awareness was on show by the 3 dps with healing capabilities that we would have been fine. I hit send and what do you know, they ignored me. lol. so I jump on to an alt and send them a more blunt, more passive aggressive message and leave it at that.

I can understand your frustration of koltos not getting clicked but, sorry, expecting DPS to off heal is just wrong (even if they can do it). When I'm DPSing, I'll off heal if it's necessary and if, BIG IF here, I actually notice I have to heal someone else.

And, logging into another character just to send a whisper to someone who put you on ignore? That's just douchey.

Get you best dps. No companion, no DCD, no medpacs, no kolto, no LoS. Survive 15 sec. Post a video.

Otherwise, you're speaking nonsense.

Why would you not use defensives? Now, you're just the one spouting stupid nonsense. Also kiting =/= LoS and would easily accomplish this in tactical.

aerockyul, two different modes, two different tactics. I'm sorry, but Braxx brings down your health to 30% with one hit (someone always die there) and with mostly low dps in tactical groups, that fight goes above 5 min, cuz the person with high dps have to run from kolto to kolto. After his death is just tank&spank and this fight is over after 2-3 min.

I see your point, but one sentence before the fight in HM is enough for people to adapt with differences.

I'll give it a shot next time. I admit when I'm doing this in a tactical it seems people know what they should do but their dps is so bad that it does take a really long time to get it done "the right way".

I guess killing Braxx first frees up the person in charge of keeping him away from the dogs, so there's that :)

Since I try to do it the right way when I'm tanking or "tanking" or healtanking this, as I mostly end up doing, I don't know how much more damage the dogs put out when they get inside the red circle. Is that damage insignificant enough to ignore while we're pounding on Braxx?

Why would you not use defensives? Now, you're just the one spouting stupid nonsense. Also kiting =/= LoS and would easily accomplish this in tactical.

It's about his statement for the Braxx's damage itself, not the mechanics or personal survive skills.

Is that damage insignificant enough to ignore while we're pounding on Braxx?

Yes. Maybe they get a little buff, but not as close as in HM.

One of the problem is that if a 4 dps group focus on one hound and ignore Braxx someone who is on top on his table(put some AoE on him) get surprised by his "60-70% attack".

Tank's job is to watch their health, so there is a different story.

And i know what you mean about Cademimu. I have end up spaming in chat "droid! droid!" but mostly no one cares. And it came really annoying when they do this twice in a row after a wipe and we have to run this long way back to the boss three times...

Edited by bgstranger

Isn't it amazing that the experience of having a good group versus a not so good group is very significantly different. Like when I did have a good Tank who happened to be Shadow, I could heal him almost perfectly, with little to no deaths in Mandalorian Raiders HM. While last night, also in Mandalorian Raiders HM, I had a Tank who happened to be a Vanguard, who rarely took the enemies off my back and the dps'. It was super frustrating and to the point depressing cause it felt like I didn't perform very well at my role (Healer). :(

Sigh, I miss my VG Tank. :o

He's just trying to move goal posts.

Though would Battle Readiness / Overcharge Saber be allowed? After all, players writing guides to Dulfy's site classify it as offensive cooldown.

Edited by Halinalle

Apologies, I was trying to keep my last post brief and failed to mention a few things.

A little clarification on my last post since it triggered debates:

We weren't on a boss fight. I was asking which way to go (shortcut or long way) and got the response "follow the tank." We were 4 DPS so being my sarcastic self I said "we have a tank?" The prior exchange followed.

As an aside, I've found that I pull enough aggro on my own without using taunts. And I usually have to take a moment to remind group members that the kolto's don't hurt and not to fear them. I've seen several arguments and tantrums about failure to click kolto's and as a result I've gotten much better about that myself. More on this in the next post...

I can understand your frustration of koltos not getting clicked but, sorry, expecting DPS to off heal is just wrong (even if they can do it). When I'm DPSing, I'll off heal if it's necessary and if, BIG IF here, I actually notice I have to heal someone else.

And, logging into another character just to send a whisper to someone who put you on ignore? That's just douchey.

You can and will get flamed for off-healing in a trinity situation. In Operations groups, anything that diminishes your DPs output is a negative and a big ol' no-no. But as some others have pointed out, tactics vary from Master to Veteran modes.

Second paragraph, yeah. Best not to take the time to reply to a bully especially after they've moved on.

Trench Runner story

I mentioned that I haven't done it before at the beginning. Gunslinger, Sage and Guardian.

One still on the way to gear up, two at around 110k-111k. Guardian at 121k hp.

Guardian runs ahead and pulls before anyone else gets there and dies many times because of this. We get through uprising though and that's the most important thing. We get to last phase in last boss fight and I die soon after. They kill the boss. I wait for revive and get none. I decided to risk it and go to medcenter. Luckily in this one you end up in beginning area of uprising. Good to know it doesn't throw you out like most flashpoints. I thank them for the run and I also thank them for not reviving me. Guardian responds in arrogant way: "always go to medcenter".

Btw, can everyone please stop using that tactic in tacticals and burn Braxx ASAP since he's the only one doing real damage in this fight. Hound does not enrage after his death.

Since the dogs run into Braxx and catch aggro on anything- most decent tactical runs, dogs go down fast because of focus fire and then we move onto Braxx (who doesn't hit that hard at 70)- whatever tactics based on the highest boss DPS doesn't undo the fact that leaving the dogs alone leads to chaos since they switch and can't be taunted. I had one idiot tank insist on this order and caused a wipe and then the most protracted, long fight because, quelle surprise- the hounds kept on making the fight shambles.

This fight, for a Group Finder group is easier to coordinate by burning the hounds first in Tactical/Veteran without any enrage because they'll stop latching onto rotating group members.

I've never done the HM version but I'd assume that if the correct tactic in HM is to burn the hounds first to stop them enraging, that it's better that people learn that as a rule in tactical then do HM with that in mind.

I had such a cringe filled run of False Emperor on my level 70 Operative Healer. So mid run pops and they've clearly had a quit at HK-47. A Powertech tank at 40/41, an DPS Assassin in the low 30s and a Sorc Healer at about level 26. So low DPS all round and empty slots as far as relics and implants all round which means they were all losing bigger chunks of their health. The fight was painfully slow, was forced to use a combat revive while I kept drawing aggro for healing and we nearly wiped at the end... the sad thing was, when I just had to keep me up and do my meager damage when HK was down to his eighth of health, between a kolto station run- it wasn't as painful.

They went into every trash mob and I cringed at the point where I had guard thrown on me and told that I needed to be careful because this would reflect damage on them... DPS Assassin threw guard on the Sorc heals (there was subsequent melting), who joined me in DPSing two golds that they picked a fight with in their quest for the bonus boss and we were sadly doing more damage (Me, it makes sense, higher level gear but that didn't explain Sorc heals with missing slots herself). I put my foot down on that idea. I'm all for levelling but bonus bosses are for people who put gear in all their slots.

Malgus was protracted but they knew how to use interrupts... I just wish I'd needed to face my destiny all the time because me, I'm yawning through Malgus where as I needed to load up my HoTs on each person and hope they stayed alive and made worse by the group in question. It got irking enough I contributed to burning Malgus down at the end while keeping the healing up so they didn't die.

The sorc healer, missing slots aside, wasn't nearly as bad as the rest of the group although I think they lagged out a bit during the last fight, otherwise they were just standing still for a minute for no reason.

snip

Why on earth i have to receive his banging on my head for so long? If you got a wipe, it's because of Braxx. Anyone who claims that his damage is insignificant even on 70 toon, clearly (for me) isn't paying attention. You can totally ignore the hounds and their damage.

Just test it next time when you pop there.

Why on earth i have to receive his banging on my head for so long? If you got a wipe, it's because of Braxx. Anyone who claims that his damage is insignificant even on 70 toon, clearly (for me) isn't paying attention. You can totally ignore the hounds and their damage.

Just test it next time when you pop there.

Even the tank shouldn't be standing in that red circle, that attack (Cleave from what I get from the guides) is what does the main damage and yes, if you continually stand in the thing while you're tanking, you will take significant damage.

Always been killing dogs first, that red circle under Braxx buff dogs and dogs do massive damage then, if you tank Braxx away and keep them appart, it never happend and fight is smooth as hell, 1 deal with Braxx, other`s down dogs, in tactical you can tank him near kolto and its just easy. If you going to kill Braxx first, melee dps end up being near Braxx as well dogs, so dogs put out lot of damage, since they get buffed buy red circle. Keep them appart and kill dogs first, its not hard. Been in lot of groups with low lvl, all dps, high lvl. Usually I end up tank Braxx with infltration shadow and I have not notice any significant damage if you keep them appart. And usually down him before dogs are dead. To avoid damage, do not let Braxx close to dogs, that simple. No need to teach new players wrong tactics, some of them go for HM and then wondering what to do. Tactical flaspoints are good place to learn tactics

Edit: Just sidenote, reading this thread is fun, but have to wonder how unlucky people have to be to constantly end up those groups? I run lot of flashpoints, veteran and Master both and very rarely end up groups here described.

Edited by KristoKal

Edit: Just sidenote, reading this thread is fun, but have to wonder how unlucky people have to be to constantly end up those groups? I run lot of flashpoints, veteran and Master both and very rarely end up groups here described.

I think it's sheer quantity- when you're running so many flashpoints, the odds are you will get the ones that make you cry on your keyboard, I just ran with an amazing group for Mandalorian Raiders with zero wipes and perfect coordination with three DPS (including me) and a tank (that did such a great job on Braxx, and we were able to burn the dogs quick) and we were never in any serious danger of dying.

You get more good or just okay runs than bad, we just don't post about them.

Ok so not exactly group finder, but still a weird story with weird people.

I'm on Ilum, doing the event daily heroic Primary Testing. I usually solo that at the southern terminus which is pretty easily doable, not really hardcore or anything, especially because you don't even have to be in the PvP instance so it's just the bots and you.

Someone is looking for group for that thing, I'm almost done and see that there's barely anyone online so I innocently and without much thought say "You can solo it these days." So someone else replies "Don't listen to that moron".

I'm all :eek:

So I say I can show you, no problem. The original one wants to group up with me to see how I do it but after like 20 seconds says "sorry, food emergency" and vanishes. So I whisper the other one that called me a moron to tell them I can show t hem and that it ain't hard. Guess what, I'm on their ignore list. For saying you can solo it. Just weirds me out, that.

So I cycle to the next toon to do the heroics and decide I want to know what their problem is. I start with "I'm a bit perplexed". Next thing I know, they write "Go bother someone else you piece of sh*t".

:eek:

The really funny part is, I was soloing the heroics on the 8th toon when they were still LFG...

Always been killing dogs first, that red circle under Braxx buff dogs and dogs do massive damage then, if you tank Braxx away and keep them appart, it never happend and fight is smooth as hell, 1 deal with Braxx, other`s down dogs, in tactical you can tank him near kolto and its just easy. If you going to kill Braxx first, melee dps end up being near Braxx as well dogs, so dogs put out lot of damage, since they get buffed buy red circle. Keep them appart and kill dogs first, its not hard. Been in lot of groups with low lvl, all dps, high lvl. Usually I end up tank Braxx with infltration shadow and I have not notice any significant damage if you keep them appart. And usually down him before dogs are dead. To avoid damage, do not let Braxx close to dogs, that simple. No need to teach new players wrong tactics, some of them go for HM and then wondering what to do. Tactical flaspoints are good place to learn tactics

Do not debate with TACTICAL MASTAH :D

This guy is already made himself a LEGEND of tacticals.

He will show those pesky noobs how to do things :D

For me - tacticals is a good opportunity to teach new players how to play in HM versions.

If this guy don't unserstand simple rules - he will fail. Like all noobs fail.

Ok so not exactly group finder, but still a weird story with weird people.

I'm on Ilum, doing the event daily heroic Primary Testing. I usually solo that at the southern terminus which is pretty easily doable, not really hardcore or anything, especially because you don't even have to be in the PvP instance so it's just the bots and you.

Someone is looking for group for that thing, I'm almost done and see that there's barely anyone online so I innocently and without much thought say "You can solo it these days." So someone else replies "Don't listen to that moron".

I'm all :eek:

So I say I can show you, no problem. The original one wants to group up with me to see how I do it but after like 20 seconds says "sorry, food emergency" and vanishes. So I whisper the other one that called me a moron to tell them I can show t hem and that it ain't hard. Guess what, I'm on their ignore list. For saying you can solo it. Just weirds me out, that.

So I cycle to the next toon to do the heroics and decide I want to know what their problem is. I start with "I'm a bit perplexed". Next thing I know, they write "Go bother someone else you piece of sh*t".

:eek:

The really funny part is, I was soloing the heroics on the 8th toon when they were still LFG...

While I wouldn't react to you or anyone else the way that guy did, it does rankle me a bit when people answer anyone who is looking for a group/help with "solo it", "you can solo that", "just solo it", and all variations of that.

Some people are actually new and probably came over from an MMO that grouping is required for a lot of stuff, so they don't yet know how "soloable" most content in SWTOR, a purported MMO, is yet.

Some people are new to MMOs altogether and are having difficulties with a certain mission, and just got the guts to ask in general chat for help and they get told to just do it themselves.

Some people don't have the patience/time to work a heroic mission solo, and don't have lvl 50 companions, so getting even one other person makes the mission go very fast. I know for a fact I can solo a lot of content, but why do it alone in 20 minutes (for example) when I could get some other people and get it done in 10?

And some people just aren't as godlike as we all are, with our lvl 50 companions, full presence, stims/adrenals, intimate knowledge of every class, and intimate knowledge of the content that we've all run dozens and dozens and dozens of times.

If you don't want to help the person who posts LFG, just don't say anything. You're not helping them by telling them to solo it, and you're not helping by doing nothing, so why say anything at all?

*Kaldron, that wasn't a full rant at you specifically, since you DID offer to help the person learn how to solo it and this particular person didn't take you up on it. I just see that "solo it" stuff so often it bugs me. :rak_04:

Edited by aerockyul

I think it's sheer quantity- when you're running so many flashpoints, the odds are you will get the ones that make you cry on your keyboard, I just ran with an amazing group for Mandalorian Raiders with zero wipes and perfect coordination with three DPS (including me) and a tank (that did such a great job on Braxx, and we were able to burn the dogs quick) and we were never in any serious danger of dying.

You get more good or just okay runs than bad, we just don't post about them.

This. On Republic side you have to play a lot of flashpoints to even get anything worth writing about. Empire side is another story entirely...

If you don't want to help the person who posts LFG, just don't say anything. You're not helping them by telling them to solo it, and you're not helping by doing nothing, so why say anything at all?

While I can see your point and would mostly agree with it, it's not as black and white as this. For example, when I'm in section x (rarely, but it happens :eek:) and see somebody asking for a group for aurora canon, chances are he's looking for a group because he doesn't know that BW removed all the "must be in a group things" from that heroic. If I stay quiet he might be waisting an hour of his time "lfg'ing" because hardly anybody is grouping up for it. Same story for the HK-part from the foundry. I probably told 100+ (only a slight exaggeration, I promise :p) people that the part also drops in solo-mode and 99% of them were very thankfull for the tipp.

First time poster here, been entertaining myself reading through this thread. :D

Here are a few of my gems :p (I main a Commando DPS):

HM Czerka Corporate Labs/Hammer Station: An extremely competent tank, but they literally were trying to Usain Bolt the FPs. Would just dispatch one mob then charge into the next with very little to no out of combat healing and sometimes at like 30-40% health and sometimes before the last mob was dead. The entire group was literally hauling mail just to keep up with the tank.

Hammer Station SM: This was during Life Day so me and another player were tossing snowballs at everyone in the group. Another player angrily typed in chat to knock it off. I thought they were referring to our DPSing tactics, turns out they meant "with the damn snowballs!" Beat a boss, toss snowball at said player, player promptly quits group without another word. I think we found the Grinch.

Assault on Tython SM: A player doesn't move for over 5 minutes and didn't say anything in chat, I figure they're afk or disconnecting, the rest of us destroy generators and move to first boss. I ask them if they're still here, they don't reply for over a minute, someone initiates vote kick but this "afk" player returns to quit group first, but not before aggroing the boss and a nearby mob and then stealthing out (was a scoundrel). Nearly wipe but manage to beat boss and adds. Not sure what this person's issue was, they were given more than enough time to say something.

Taral V SM: This one low level player keeps pulling every mob before we can heal up and needs on everything. Someone in group tells them to stop, they need again on the next item, gets kicked. I put them on ignore. I'm not the type to put people on ignore list so decide to remove them from ignore list a month or so later. Lo and behold, I get this player again in GF.... prepare myself for the worst. Still pulling everything.. and worse now thinks they're actually good and is telling another player in group (who's new) how to do things in FPs. We complete the FP, I put on ignore list again and sigh.

HM Hammer Station: Get to first boss, tank reminds healer pre-pull to cleanse stacks. Fight starts, I see tank quickly taking huge damage on beams, I cleanse tank, thinking healer (also commando) just forgot or whatever. 2nd beam... no cleanse. I cleanse again. 3rd beam... no cleanse. I end up cleansing every beam. Was tempted to let tank die to show healer needs to learn how to cleanse but that'd be unfair to the tank. How is a healer doing one of the easiest HM FPs without knowing how to heal properly even with a reminder before the pull?

HM Battle of Ilum: Get queued with a tank I've played with before that has issues with keeping aggro; all of us get aggro on mobs, the other DPS asks if it's their first time tanking HM. Tank doesn't reply, quits group. I pull out healer comp, we complete it with no wipes. Was in queue for new tank the whole time. Just as the 3 of us finish the convo with the Voss lady... we get a tank. It's the same one that quit the group, just in time to see that we completed it without them.

Dread Fortress: Saw someone on fleet asking for a guild, our GM invites them. Says they wanna do the Oricon Op, we were about to start a group for one, they get invited. Already enters the instance twice before our group is full, we tell them to exit and wait. We start, they get knocked off the bridge twice on opening trash. Then immediately jumps at Nefra before anyone is ready, gets killed instantly. Causes one of our guildies to die and we battle rez the guild member and beat Nefra. Kept asking us to revive them during the fight. We kick from guild/group instead. Get competent replacement, complete rest of Op easily, though with less hilarity.