Kaliyo or Corso; who is worse?

ARavingLooony

For me the answer is simple, Corso. The reason I think a lot of people dislike Kaliyo is due to the fact that her attitude does NOT mesh very well with what the IA is supposed to be doing e.g spying and espionage whereas Kaliyo is just another bloodthristy rattataki. I do think that players would like her more if she were a companion for the bounty hunter instead of the IA and it makes no sense why Keeper considered her to be a useful to keep around. The relationship between IA and Kaliyo would b like if James Bond had to infilitrate an enemy organization with Arnold Schwarzenegger and while Bond is trying to actually do the job efficiently he is constantly fighting with Arnie trying to solve problems his way...lots of bullets and explosions.

Now Corso however, this dude is a damn creep. I mean the first time I did the smuggler storyline as a male smuggler I found him to be a pretty big downgrade in companions compared to other classes he names his blasters things that you would expect an 8 year old to name them and not someone who is presumably in his 20's, and was just a companion I didnt really care for but then I tried doing a female smuggler playthru and dear god did this weirdo give off 'nice guy' creep vibes.

every time u play as a female and flirt/sleep with a man he gets super clingy and disapproves (even if u arent romancing him) whereas if u play a male and sleep with as many women possible he approves. There is also the fact that he genuinely looks like he just walked right off an anime (his face just looks weird) and the fact that I cannot for the life of me figure out where the Texas part of Ord Mantell he grew up is. Just, argh every time I try and continue playing my dark side female smuggler and have to listen to him I know I'm gonna be in for a major cringefactory

I can cope with Kaliyo as she doesnt get clingy/creepy whenever you flirt with other women if u play as a guy but I feel sorry for the women who play a smuggler and their only LI is the sterotypical 'nice guy' clingy simp

Personally, I find Kaliyo to be significantly worse. She's nothing but a back-stabbing, sadistic narcist. She shouldn't have left Hutta alive. The ONLY thing she's got going for her is a great voice.

Corso, while not everyone's cup of tea, is sweet. He's just a good ol' country boy like the ones I used to date in college.

Wow, you really nailed the worst parts of both on the head. To be honest, I feel like no one would mind Kaliyo and Corso as much as we do if they weren't our first companions. Having to wait all the way until Alderaan for Vector is really painful, and Bowdaar being the smuggler's second companion is rough because he doesn't speak basic, which makes it hard to bond.

I've got to say I hate Corso more personally. He sort of personifies everything that's wrong with a fem!smuggler playthrough on top of being fem!smug's only love interest. He's patronising and weirdly possessive and condescending, and he gets so pissy when you're interested in other people. Or when you're doing anything remotely smuggly. His commentary reminds me constantly that fem smugs have 4 fewer romance options in the base game than male smugs. (And of the remaining choices, one of them is... A man whose name starts with an S and ends with a K, essentially a joke option.) Bioware! Let women have sex and stop being so damn judgy about it! PLEASE!

He makes me feel like the smuggler story writers are directly commenting on my decision to play a romantically available female smug. It's slimy!

Kaliyo sucks, but "at least" Keeper's twisting your arm about keeping her around. I don't know why my smugs haven't ditched Corso yet. We're free agents, baby. No one can tell us what to do. And he's not even good or helpful with actual smuggling ****. He hates doing crimes for money! Besides, the agent story doesn't suffer based on the gender you pick, so she gets to stand alone as your really ****** coworker that your boss has a mildly disturbing obsession with. I mean, it's Imperial Intelligence. **** gets weird there.

Now, who's the worse person? Kaliyo, definitely. She tries to sell you into slavery, even if you've romanced her. Can't top that. Garden variety sexism doesn't compare.

Edited by Tressith

Personally, I find Kaliyo to be significantly worse. She's nothing but a back-stabbing, sadistic narcist. She shouldn't have left Hutta alive. The ONLY thing she's got going for her is a great voice.

Corso, while not everyone's cup of tea, is sweet. He's just a good ol' country boy like the ones I used to date in college.

/agreed. Corso is protective and maybe some do not like that, but I do. Kaliyo on the other hand stabs you in the back and :

My agent finally could kill her in the expansion.

Hi

Kalyio, of course! She doesn't fit well within the agent team and personally i wish there was an option to reject her on Hutta.

I think what the developers should of done when the game was released was have it so no companion out it means you got a buff to all your stats (say like 20% or something idk what number would even it out at the time), and then give you the option to not take some companions. There are a lot of them I never wanted, hated even, but had no choice but to take them. Kalyio and Corso are 2 of them, but there were others as well, and I'd have been perfectly happy to just say no, or kill some of them out right. I realize not all companions should get this treatment, but some really deserved it, yet Bioware just forced it on us.

Bioware just forced it on us.

Players definitely have zero agency in the storytelling process. We are not partners with EA in the storytelling process, but consumers.

Regardless of a player's DvL choices, story choices, and romantic choices for any given story line, that story line lands on the same plot point for all players.

With no say as to which companions we get in the early chapters, and being restricted by our character's gender who we may romance in those early chapters, players are passively reading a story, not actively crafting one.

Even in the later chapters, when our decisions determine who lives and dies, when our decisions determine who hates us and who never associates with us again, all players land on the same plot point.

And head canon only goes so far.

Players can complain all day, but the story, as written, including companion involvement, will not be re-written.

EA will not redevelop prior story to start branching out in different directions, especially since all that extra development doesn't guarantee one more iota of player subscription revenue, just for the sake of spreading around more companions in the early chapters, or rewriting the early chapters to enable SSRs.

Given that, I've often advocated on these forums for a "convert NPC to companion" function, which would function even in the middle of cut scenes.

With such, I could click on a dialogue option for Private Farn during any of his cut scenes (the only times we experience him are in cut scenes) and instantly convert him to a romanceable companion. His cut scene would end as it does based on how you treat him, but I'd walk away from the cut scene with a romanceable Farn in my companion list.

The story is still carved in stone that my character gets Grumpy Cat, but at least I could then summon a copy of Private Farn as a voiceless boilerplate companion when engaged in story content that does not demand the presence of a particular companion.

With such a function, a female smuggler on Ord Mantel could click on a random separatist and boom, new hot date. All the romantic involvements a female smuggler could possibly want, despite what the original writers crafted for her.

Of course, people would argue that we should not be allowed to convert droids, jawas, monkey lizards, Darth Malgus, Vitiate, Keeper, Satele Shan, or similar NPCs to companions, and yes, I can support those boundaries.

But for practically every other NPC in the game, including minor NPCs directly involved in our story, let's have at it! Even Vermin, who if you played the Sith warrior storyline you know exactly how that ends. During his final cut scene, we could convert a copy of him to a romanceable companion, and at that point, who cares? Let the cut scene play out as originally written with the original consequences. We have our copy of Vemrin, good to go.

Copying Vemrin would be no different than

retrieving a dead Vette off the alliance holoterminal

so why not? And it'd be the same if someone playing a smuggler (and regardless of the smuggler's gender) wanted Skavak.

Whose play style are we harming if other players see us on fleet running around with a companion that our story choices dictated should be dead or unavailable?

Players run around all day with all sorts of dead or otherwise unavailable companions (according to their story lines) but I don't see a pitchfork rebellion over that.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Says a lot about Kaliyo when my male Rattataki IA chose Raina Temple over her as his love interest.

But then, in my head canon, he isn't like most Rattataki. The male voice provided for the IA makes my particular alt more suave and cultured. I like to think of him raised in some high class family and went to exclusive schools somewhere in the Empire and found a like minded person in Temple after she joined his crew.

He knows Kaliyo is just a user and a very selfish person. They don't mesh romantically. But has her uses for his missions. If I bothered to take Qandato into the KotFE story, he would eventually cut ties with her.

I don't mind Corso. He is what he is.

Edited by Tahirri

Neither. Malavai Quinn is absolute trash compared to either of them.

You're only saying that because he does what usually happens in the Empire: Betrays you. And you can't kill him for it. Anyone in Quinn's position would have done the same. If it meant getting that collar off her, Vette would betray you in a heartbeat.

Players definitely have zero agency in the storytelling process. We are not partners with EA in the storytelling process, but consumers.

Regardless of a player's DvL choices, story choices, and romantic choices for any given story line, that story line lands on the same plot point for all players.

With no say as to which companions we get in the early chapters, and being restricted by our character's gender who we may romance in those early chapters, players are passively reading a story, not actively crafting one.

Even in the later chapters, when our decisions determine who lives and dies, when our decisions determine who hates us and who never associates with us again, all players land on the same plot point.

And head canon only goes so far.

Players can complain all day, but the story, as written, including companion involvement, will not be re-written.

EA will not redevelop prior story to start branching out in different directions, especially since all that extra development doesn't guarantee one more iota of player subscription revenue, just for the sake of spreading around more companions in the early chapters, or rewriting the early chapters to enable SSRs.

Given that, I've often advocated on these forums for a "convert NPC to companion" function, which would function even in the middle of cut scenes.

With such, I could click on a dialogue option for Private Farn during any of his cut scenes (the only times we experience him are in cut scenes) and instantly convert him to a romanceable companion. His cut scene would end as it does based on how you treat him, but I'd walk away from the cut scene with a romanceable Farn in my companion list.

The story is still carved in stone that my character gets Grumpy Cat, but at least I could then summon a copy of Private Farn as a voiceless boilerplate companion when engaged in story content that does not demand the presence of a particular companion.

With such a function, a female smuggler on Ord Mantel could click on a random separatist and boom, new hot date. All the romantic involvements a female smuggler could possibly want, despite what the original writers crafted for her.

Of course, people would argue that we should not be allowed to convert droids, jawas, monkey lizards, Darth Malgus, Vitiate, Keeper, Satele Shan, or similar NPCs to companions, and yes, I can support those boundaries.

But for practically every other NPC in the game, including minor NPCs directly involved in our story, let's have at it! Even Vermin, who if you played the Sith warrior storyline you know exactly how that ends. During his final cut scene, we could convert a copy of him to a romanceable companion, and at that point, who cares? Let the cut scene play out as originally written with the original consequences. We have our copy of Vemrin, good to go.

Copying Vemrin would be no different than

retrieving a dead Vette off the alliance holoterminal

so why not? And it'd be the same if someone playing a smuggler (and regardless of the smuggler's gender) wanted Skavak.

Whose play style are we harming if other players see us on fleet running around with a companion that our story choices dictated should be dead or unavailable?

Players run around all day with all sorts of dead or otherwise unavailable companions (according to their story lines) but I don't see a pitchfork rebellion over that.

You just answered your own question. It's their storyline. Not everyone is going to make the same choices as you. Some people took Torian over Vette, others did it the other way. Some people took Ashara back, other turned her down. People make their own choices and live with them. You know how many people preferred to kill Quinn instead of keeping him alive despite all he's done for us? I think I'm in the minority of keeping him alive. So why get mad at someone who killed him in their story? He's alive in mine and that's all that matters.

And on the point of Vemrin, he's someone you have to beat as you're still trying to prove yourself on Korriban. It would be inconsistent to the story for you to be friends with him after what he's done. Same with Skavak. He's the whole point of chapter 1 of the smuggler. He took your ship, framed you, and tries to kill you multiple times. You're out to clear your name before Rogan and his bounty hunter take your head. This one might have less impact, but it still would be a bit inconsistent to fly away with the man who set you up.

Compared to the two worst companions in the game, Skadge and Broonmark, I rather like both the jealous Corso and the opportunist Kaliyo. Broonmark is just a weird beast, who is a homicidal as he is stupid. Skadge we are "told" likes to do gruesomme things to all living beings, and I cant for the world figure out why my honour bound mandalorian even let him touch that poor Zabrak girl with out shooting off his arms AND legs AND manhood, before leaving him to bleed to death. Edited by MortenJessen

You just answered your own question. It's their storyline. Not everyone is going to make the same choices as you. Some people took Torian over Vette, others did it the other way. Some people took Ashara back, other turned her down. People make their own choices and live with them. You know how many people preferred to kill Quinn instead of keeping him alive despite all he's done for us? I think I'm in the minority of keeping him alive. So why get mad at someone who killed him in their story? He's alive in mine and that's all that matters.

And on the point of Vemrin, he's someone you have to beat as you're still trying to prove yourself on Korriban. It would be inconsistent to the story for you to be friends with him after what he's done. Same with Skavak. He's the whole point of chapter 1 of the smuggler. He took your ship, framed you, and tries to kill you multiple times. You're out to clear your name before Rogan and his bounty hunter take your head. This one might have less impact, but it still would be a bit inconsistent to fly away with the man who set you up.

Running around with a companion you previous let die is any more or less consistent than running around with one who tried to kill you?

People make their own choices and live with them.

So let them.

Edited by xordevoreaux

You're only saying that because he does what usually happens in the Empire: Betrays you. And you can't kill him for it. Anyone in Quinn's position would have done the same. If it meant getting that collar off her, Vette would betray you in a heartbeat.

Oh yes you CAN kill him for it, just not immediately. One of the few things I liked about Fallen Empire.

But it's also one of the many reasons why I absolutely hate the Agents story, because the Minister of Intelligence betrays you and the Empire as a whole (he's wrong, an Imperial SHOULD be able to threaten a Sith to keep the balance, the Imperials do not exist merely to serve the Sith), and you never get the chance to punish him for it.

That and the whole sleeper agent Onatomaphobia trigger thing. That whole chapter was a complete poopshow.

Edited by Loadsamonie

Kaliyo's voice makes me want to shove her out the airlock, however I agree she should not have left Hutta alive.

Corso is so much more fun when you're awful to him!

I like Kaliyo, especially if I am playing a DS agent, and I just *despise* Corso. My DS Agents love that crazy bloodthirsty Rattataki. Now, my multitude of Sorcs who have dealt with that crazy bloodthirsty Rattataki? The DS ones smile and hand her thermal detonators. The LS ones want to launch her out of the nearest airlock without any EVA gear, while stuffing an armed thermal detonator up her backside.

Wow, you really nailed the worst parts of both on the head. To be honest, I feel like no one would mind Kaliyo and Corso as much as we do if they weren't our first companions. Having to wait all the way until Alderaan for Vector is really painful, and Bowdaar being the smuggler's second companion is rough because he doesn't speak basic, which makes it hard to bond.

I've got to say I hate Corso more personally. He sort of personifies everything that's wrong with a fem!smuggler playthrough on top of being fem!smug's only love interest. He's patronising and weirdly possessive and condescending, and he gets so pissy when you're interested in other people. Or when you're doing anything remotely smuggly. His commentary reminds me constantly that fem smugs have 4 fewer romance options in the base game than male smugs. (And of the remaining choices, one of them is... A man whose name starts with an S and ends with a K, essentially a joke option.) Bioware! Let women have sex and stop being so damn judgy about it! PLEASE!

He makes me feel like the smuggler story writers are directly commenting on my decision to play a romantically available female smug. It's slimy!

Kaliyo sucks, but "at least" Keeper's twisting your arm about keeping her around. I don't know why my smugs haven't ditched Corso yet. We're free agents, baby. No one can tell us what to do. And he's not even good or helpful with actual smuggling ****. He hates doing crimes for money! Besides, the agent story doesn't suffer based on the gender you pick, so she gets to stand alone as your really ****** coworker that your boss has a mildly disturbing obsession with. I mean, it's Imperial Intelligence. **** gets weird there.

Now, who's the worse person? Kaliyo, definitely. She tries to sell you into slavery, even if you've romanced her. Can't top that. Garden variety sexism doesn't compare.

"To be honest, I feel like no one would mind Kaliyo and Corso as much as we do if they weren't our first companions. Having to wait all the way until Alderaan for Vector is really painful, and Bowdaar being the smuggler's second companion is rough because he doesn't speak basic, which makes it hard to bond"

yup, one of my biggest gripes with the smuggler story is that the first companion that is forced upon you is the 'nice guy' possessive simp and then your next companion is a talking fur carpet whose dialogue you have to read. Don't particularly care for either Kaliyo or Bugboy but at least neither of them are as creepy as Corso and actually speak. I am willing to bet that if SWTOR was a singleplayer game then we would've had mayb a couple of chances to get a Star Wars renegade interrupt style/choice to kill Corso off. What pisses me off is that he gets all possessive whilst conveniently ignoring the fact that he decided to invite himself onto a starship that does NOT belong to him (the smuggler owns the ship, let us give Corso the boot after acquiring the fur carpet plz Bioware). Seriously lost track of the amount of times I wished we would've been given the ability to give Corso a firsthand look at a certain prothean's most beloved part of a starship or just leave his *** on the first spaceport and leave him behind.

Edited by ARavingLooony

yeah forget Corso, as a smuggler he has a problem with everything I do. Its like dude you know what I do for a living right? I smuggle contraband and maybe dabble with some spice on the side make a few extra credits. Now I don't know if I play as a darkside Smuggler (in D&D alignment I would be Chaotic Neutral) but man every conversation with him he disagree and its kinda annoying.

I disliked him before I left Orb Mantell, "you can't do that cause she's a woman, you can't talk to her like that cause she's a woman" its like DUDE!

Now with Kailyo doesn't not bother me I can take care of her permanetly later.

Edited by BriceCCC

Worst Companions, in order:

Guss

Skadge

Kaliyo

Class stories only. If we include everything else then Scorpio beats Guss for the Worst.

It was such a pleasure as Bounty Hunter to kill Skadge in his Alert. I don't know how to find Guss. I don't want to know. We learn Guss is the Jedi Blizz deals with in his Alert, but Guss only appears as a voice not in person and I'm not looking for him.

yeah forget Corso, as a smuggler he has a problem with everything I do. Its like dude you know what I do for a living right? I smuggle contraband and maybe dabble with some spice on the side make a few extra credits. Now I don't know if I play as a darkside Smuggler (in D&D alignment I would be Chaotic Neutral) but man every conversation with him he disagree and its kinda annoying.

I disliked him before I left Orb Mantell, "you can't do that cause she's a woman, you can't talk to her like that cause she's a woman" its like DUDE!

Now with Kailyo doesn't not bother me I can take care of her permanetly later.

yeah, hopefully later on at some point we get a quest where u can kill Corso like you can with that moron Skadge and Kaliyo. I mean in all fairness technically Mako does kinda the same thing where she complains at times that you're collecting bounties on peoples heads e.g that chick on Hutta during the prologue and whatnot which is a lil weird (girl, I'm a bounty hunter. Someone has a price on their head they've got it coming) but at least she's not as insufferably clingy to a male BH unlike Corso is to female Smuggler who even if like me u play a full on dark side female he still will not let go of his cringeworthy white knighting even if anyone with a functioning brain would clearly point out "dude, quite simping for a girl who clearly has no interest in you whatsoever"

Trust me, playing as a dark side female and flirting with any man she sees except Corso and making choices you know he'll hate and choosing the meanest conversation options when talking to him....its the only way to put up with him.

Edited by ARavingLooony

Corso is meh, but they set him up to be the wingman of the male smuggler. Lover to female smuggler was an after thought.

Sadly, all the classes have their "Why are they here?" companions. Even the ones that should feel to be there seem to forget so much of what you've done.

Vette always seems to forget you're a light side Sith for instance.

yeah, hopefully later on at some point we get a quest where u can kill Corso like you can with that moron Skadge and Kaliyo. I mean in all fairness technically Mako does kinda the same thing where she complains at times that you're collecting bounties on peoples heads e.g that chick on Hutta during the prologue and whatnot which is a lil weird (girl, I'm a bounty hunter. Someone has a price on their head they've got it coming) but at least she's not as insufferably clingy to a male BH unlike Corso is to female Smuggler who even if like me u play a full on dark side female he still will not let go of his cringeworthy white knighting even if anyone with a functioning brain would clearly point out "dude, quite simping for a girl who clearly has no interest in you whatsoever"

Trust me, playing as a dark side female and flirting with any man she sees except Corso and making choices you know he'll hate and choosing the meanest conversation options when talking to him....its the only way to put up with him.

It's because Skadge doesn't respect you and insults you to your face, isn't it? And why would he? He's an ex gang member and he doesn't know you. And even if he did, he'd still insult you. Not everyone's going to like you or be cordial to you

And with Corso, remember he's a farm boy who grew up with that whole mindset, so you can't hold it against him that seriously because a few days on Nar shada will change that quickly.

I will agree on Mako though.

It's because Skadge doesn't respect you and insults you to your face, isn't it? And why would he? He's an ex gang member and he doesn't know you. And even if he did, he'd still insult you. Not everyone's going to like you or be cordial to you

And with Corso, remember he's a farm boy who grew up with that whole mindset, so you can't hold it against him that seriously because a few days on Nar shada will change that quickly.

I will agree on Mako though.

If Skadge hates you so much why is he staying on your ship? Passage off Belsavis. Fine, whatever, it's the price for whatever help such as it is he gives. Get off my ship next planet!