Streaming GSF

Drakkolich

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also want to point out that while to a person who doesn't understand GSF watching bomber can be puzzling and boring, and to a GSF ace watching a bomber can be boring because it's not as kinetic, there's plenty of players trying to get better at the game by seeing a lot more of it.

This isn't the thread for it but I think if the devs should implement having laser/missile visibly strike your own ship will actually make the game visually more impressive as well as a clear indicator that you are being fired upon rather than just the standard fps flash of red from a 2D circle around your ship. I don't notice this much when flying but watching Drako's streams does sometimes give the impression that the ship is taking hits from invisible bullets.

Not to mention it might also help rookies realize that someone is on their *** and blowing away their shields and hulls.

It would really help. I know why it's off, though.

The game draws your ship where your client thinks it is, which is accurate-ish. Enemy ships are drawn according to where the server has told the client they are (or, more likely, will be), with some prediction happening at some point in time. If enemy ship is moving along the x axis and at time = 5 you see him at x=8, and at time = 10 you see him at x = 13, he's certainly moving forward at 1 "x" per "time"- but if you were to teleport to his computer at time = 9.5, you might notice that he had actually stopped moving, but that fact wasn't updated.

This means that every ship is sort of some combination of guesswork, meaning that the positions can't be meaningfully exact. This is a big part of why projectiles are minimized or use different mechanics in almost all these games- it's very rare to cast a spell where you throw a moderately fast bowling ball at an enemy. Much more common is a slow moving zone (slow enough that the netcode won't have to guess and you won't get tripped up) or something instant, like a bullet, so the decision is made instantly... or things with a "travel time" that are glued to you (if you cast a frostbolt at an enemy and they duck behind a pillar, or fire a proton and the enemy hides behind a rock, the frostbolt or proton will still hit them).

So GSF just draws the ships shooting when they shoot, and it draws the physical ramifications of the shot, which doesn't always line up with what's going on to you. The option would really be shots that curve to hit you because it was a straight shot when the enemy took it.

That being said- it is distracting. Certainly, the devs are aware of it, with red flashes and noises when you are struct and GUI elements showing the direction of fire, so they put some work into fixing it. But it would be cool if it was like "if you didn't see the shot until it's right upon you, we drew a shot of that kind, from that direction, especially for you to see it". Basically, just draw that tail end of it, and only for the person that got hit.

Edited by Verain

This is Lucklessa/Sixofone from Harbinger. Thank you gentlemen for the wonderful evening of GSF. My friends and I really enjoyed ourselves and flying against you. A question, I only watched your match of the day from May 12 and not any of the others you have posted. Do you only pick victories as your pick of the day? We had, in my opinion, a match that was much better and closer in score. In the end my team won.

I look forward to flying with and against you.

This is Lucklessa/Sixofone from Harbinger. Thank you gentlemen for the wonderful evening of GSF. My friends and I really enjoyed ourselves and flying against you. A question, I only watched your match of the day from May 12 and not any of the others you have posted. Do you only pick victories as your pick of the day? We had, in my opinion, a match that was much better and closer in score. In the end my team won.

Not to speak for drak - but I'm pretty sure his criteria merely require a good game, not necessarily a win. I think his very first "match of the day" was a 1000-998 loss (I remember, because I was in it, lol).

Edited by MaximilianPower

Do you only pick victories as your pick of the day?

Drak has never mentioned this. Normally he picks an interesting game. While we did have one loss last night (and it was a good game for sure), we had a bunch of really good games, that merely one among them, and the others were all victories.

I would assume Drako would pick one of the games that was essentially two premades against each other, instead of one of the games where one side is burdened with a bunch of food. Some of the victories featured an enemy team that was only one solid premade on the opposite side, burdened by foodships, and our one loss featured a similar low-skill set of ships skewing things.

I absolutely do not pick only victories I have some up there that are losses already, I try to pick the closest score wise game. The other criteria I use if I have a few that were good is interesting team tactics or a match with some crazy cool flying from myself.

During my entire night of streaming last night we lost 2 games, those games scores were 1000-539 and 1000-429, with the second one being the loss vs your premade. The reason I didn't choose the loss the your team as my game of the day is we were fighting against 2 premades with 3 very very new pilots on our side barely helping. Even if we had mastered ships I still don't think we could have won that game being so outnumbered.

If you would like to watch the game you're talking about where your team won 1000-429 click this link and go to 2:23:30. All of my games are saved to twitch for 2 weeks after I stream, feel free to check any of them out. :)

Thanks for the great games last night. ^^

The game draws your ship where your client thinks it is, which is accurate-ish. Enemy ships are drawn according to where the server has told the client they are (or, more likely, will be), with some prediction happening at some point in time. If enemy ship is moving along the x axis and at time = 5 you see him at x=8, and at time = 10 you see him at x = 13, he's certainly moving forward at 1 "x" per "time"- but if you were to teleport to his computer at time = 9.5, you might notice that he had actually stopped moving, but that fact wasn't updated.

I was racing with Drakolich for a DO the other day and I was surprised how different our perspectives appeared. In my video, it appeared he was still 4000m away when I reached the DO. In his video, which I found on twitch the next day, it appeared he reached the DO slightly before I did.

Hey, Drako enjoyed flying against you on Harbringer on our Imp flight night. I only was on for two of the matches agasint you earlier in the evening one loss TDM and one win Domination. Hope you enjoyed yourself and come back on a regular basis!

Babylonia

Siphaniah

I was racing with Drakolich for a DO the other day and I was surprised how different our perspectives appeared. In my video, it appeared he was still 4000m away when I reached the DO. In his video, which I found on twitch the next day, it appeared he reached the DO slightly before I did.

I think you can generally rely on this kind of thing happening. For the purposes of your actions (shooting at the boosting guy, locking missiles, etc), he's where he appears, but for the purpose of things happening from his perspective (whether he can shoot you, picking up powerups), he appears different.

When we were figuring out the different boost rates and time to nodes, we would always race with a coordinated start, but we would always see different things. Two people moving at the same speed will both see themselves in front normally, etc. By comparing both we were able to figure out what was going on (ex, if we both appear to get there first and a third person sees us about even, then it's the same speed, if one looks like he barely wins and the other guy looks like he wins handily, then then the second guy is faster, etc).

Sorry I couldn't stick around more last night. RL called.

No big deal we got 3 wargames after our last fight with you anyways. :)

In the Deathmatch we played I found it really interesting how much Mae-thon was tanking for you, more then half your kills are while we are all trying to peel Mae-thon off one of us. The other cool thing I wanted to mention is the only kill on one of the three of us you get is when you both focused one of us at the same time, Mae-thon really capitalized on myself overextending and murdered me twice for it

No big deal we got 3 wargames after our last fight with you anyways. :)

In the Deathmatch we played I found it really interesting how much Mae-thon was tanking for you, more then half your kills are while we are all trying to peel Mae-thon off one of us. The other cool thing I wanted to mention is the only kill on one of the three of us you get is when you both focused one of us at the same time, Mae-thon really capitalized on myself overextending and murdered me twice for it

Yup. I watched it.

Mae and I weren't on voice (I was watching a movie with the fiancee while playing), so we weren't really coordinating.

He and I have very different styles when it comes to TDM. I try to play hit and fade and flank from the sides, to catch distracted targets. Once I'm noticed, I'll flee to cover or out of range. In most cases, I only get killed by Gunships. Other Scouts have a hard time keeping me in range. You caught me once or twice mid-attack run, Drako, but in most cases I either got taken out by a Gunship or slip away.

Meanwhile, Mae is a much more aggressive and adept close range dogfighter than I am. It has always been his specialty.

I'm not sure which strategy is better, or if both are necessary. I think it largely depends on the makeup of your opposition. Against lot of Scouts and Bombers, I think my build offers me more ability to pick vulnerable targets, control range of engagement, and exploit my advantages of range and engine longevity.

But against 3+ Gunships, or even just 2 who coordinate on voice and cover each other well, then my lower Evasion makes it hard to successfully hit and fade. I may still deal lots of damage (as I did in last night's TDM), but finishing kills or getting away is much more difficult.

I have been wondering whether I should start using RI on my Blackbolt instead of Wingman. I've been using Wingman to let me drill in Rockets on Evasion Scouts, but I perhaps I'd be better served by more Evasion myself. I've got 24% base, of course, and 34% with Engine Powerup--would an extra 15% make a difference? Or is it not worth it without Disto?

I'm also going to try a Disto Quads and Pods Sting. Perhaps, at this point, my knowledge of maps and powerups would make up for the loss of S2E.

All that being said, I still just love S2E. It is the most fun I have in GSF.

I (Motetta) had fun flying with and against you on Ebon Hawk last night. Helped my requisitions quite a bit ;) Should have used the situation to ask for some advice, especially after that 1000-2 (other than not selfdestructing just because Drakolich is behind me...). To me the tactic in my team felt like this:

(All this from spawn perspective)

First guy: "Oh, they are busy on C, I try to get A."

Second guy: "Oh, first guy is going A, I might help him."

Me: "Looks like we've got only one left on C, better get to A."

(Rinse and repeat)

Well, I managed to get some turrets with that tactic, but apart from that it was obviously not effective.

I (Motetta) had fun flying with and against you on Ebon Hawk last night. Helped my requisitions quite a bit ;) Should have used the situation to ask for some advice, especially after that 1000-2 (other than not selfdestructing just because Drakolich is behind me...). To me the tactic in my team felt like this:

(All this from spawn perspective)

First guy: "Oh, they are busy on C, I try to get A."

Second guy: "Oh, first guy is going A, I might help him."

Me: "Looks like we've got only one left on C, better get to A."

(Rinse and repeat)

Well, I managed to get some turrets with that tactic, but apart from that it was obviously not effective.

You don't ever have to wait for me to be online to ask advice, I have an ask me anything thread here on the forums, I stream all my games and you can come chat with me on twitch there and you can also send me private messages whenever you like. I'm always willing to help anyone that asks!

Heading to nodes that aren't being fought over is a very common strategy, this is why we often leave one person behind to stop anyone heading there from spawn. You often see a line of ships heading to the opposite side of the map as they lose one fight. Sometimes however we anticipate this a little too much and had the enemy team just headed back to the node they just lost a fight on they would see we left no defense there.

Anyways I'm glad you have fun, so did I. ^^

You don't ever have to wait for me to be online to ask advice, I have an ask me anything thread here on the forums, I stream all my games and you can come chat with me on twitch there and you can also send me private messages whenever you like. I'm always willing to help anyone that asks!

I think most advice I need is regarding tactics (and I think that is best discussed with an actual situation), because you can only teach so much when it comes to actual flying. But I've got quite a bit of information in that deparment from watching (your) videos, reading on the forum (just switching crewmembers and some little build adjustments made such a big difference for me!) and just going in and flying. There are times when I think I've got it just to crash into the next satelite (looking at you, engine maneuvers) and being facerolled again.

But if something crosses my mind, I'll be sure to ask.

This is Krispyrose I will say it was fun going against ya guys i was surprised when my mom said you challenged me to get a group i didn't expect that at all last night i did have 2 prermades but then they left us so we had like 3-4 flying so it was hard to go against ya lol. every Friday was should challenge each other since I have nothing on Friday nights anyways... since i get out of school on Thursday for summer we can challenge anytime over summer break hope to see you in the skies soon. I have raid tonight so won't be flying during raid but maybe after i will. Edited by happyslappydingo
to put Krispyrose

Do you have set server rotation you fly? I have characters on many of the North American servers. Most of them are quite stock though. Harbinger is the exception being my main. I would be glad to fly with and against you any time. :) I had fun for the few matches I was able to fly in last night. Edited by Maulkat

Do you have set server rotation you fly? I have characters on many of the North American servers. Most of them are quite stock though. Harbinger is the exception being my main. I would be glad to fly with and against you any time. :) I had fun for the few matches I was able to fly in last night.

No we just kind of pick where we feel like playing, sometimes we will swap based on queue times. If one server is slow we move to a faster one. Normally we play most of our games on Bastion, however we've been having so much fun on Harbinger. The community there is really cool, such good sportsmanship.

We've been having some great games vs a guild on Harbinger called Gone Sithing. There are great group of people and really fun to fly against. We will definitely be playing more Harbinger in the future I think.

Yes, I am Gone Sithing. Lucklessa pub side and Sixofone on the imp. For the record it is Six-of-one, not Six-o-fone. lol :) I'm glad you like it on Harbinger. I look forward to flying more with you there.

Not all of the people I get into the groups there are Gone Sithing though, just great pilots I have met while flying.

Edited by Maulkat