Add solo ranked/team ranked to galactic seasons activities or change current quests

bladech

Ranked is suffering from lack of incentives for playing it (especially after furious armor finally was bought by everyone). any MMO experience proves - if there is no proper incentives to play certain types of content = no one will play it. By providing ONLY WIN QUESTS in team ranked, it was killed and only a small fraction of players are still trying to play it (unsuccessfuly i must admit). Removing mats from solo ranked quests/not including solo ranked in galactic seasons activities many players were driven away from ranked which resulted in significant drop of pops even during prime time on both DM and SF servers.

NOW, i know that many will write "DUDE, doing this will lead to bad players/noobs crowding in ranked and overall reduce in ranked game's quality" . Sorry, but this argument would work years ago. Now, even without any proper incentives in ranked, bad and new players still continue to queue ranked and play bad. Nothing have changed with quality of the games. However, what really has changed is the quantity of pops during the day. I return back from work and trying to queue during prime time on DM and getting not enough pops during the day. And what worse is that when iam trying to dodge famous wintraders who were perma banned but created new accounts, iam not getting pops while they get them. IN the past i could queue dodge french wintraders and get pops while they were in the match. Now i simply can't do it because there is not enough players participating in ranked.

The problem is that when half of the season passed, queue literally died during any time except for 3-4 hours per day. Is that how end game pvp content must work? And iam not even mentioning problems with team ranked...we lost it in this game

Edited by bladech

Maybe ranked is suffering from a lack of interest, not a lack of incentives. 🤔

read again what i wrote. IN mmo interest in certain types of content comes from INCENTIVES. no proper rewards means on incentives and no incentives - players won't play it. You think players in WoW farming daylie zones because they like it? No, they doing it to get certain gear parts they want to get or cute outfits. Same in getting 1800+ in rated battlegrounds in wow - people doing it to get titles, mounts etc. Without proper incentives you just can't attract people doing something in any mmo. Today devs changed ranked quests and players can't get mats in team ranked, they removed mats from solo ranked and didn't included any ranked activity into new galactic season system. Of course it resulted in drop of interest among players

Leave Ranked PvP out of Galactic season's. while I don't mind doing the unranked objective (only because it does not require a win, even tho I always try for a win), I wouldn't want to have a ranked objective, simply because that would tank players rankings that actually care about ranked. You know some players wouldn't hesitate to lose a quick match to get it over with, which wouldn't be fair to those who enjoy that gameplay.

Today devs changed ranked quests and players can't get mats in team ranked, they removed mats from solo ranked and didn't included any ranked activity into new galactic season system. Of course it resulted in drop of interest among players

Or, perhaps, the lack of activity resulted from the lack of interest among players. Only BW would know for sure, but I think the lack of PvP servers and the general emptiness of PvP instances should tell you something.

Or, perhaps, the lack of activity resulted from the lack of interest among players. Only BW would know for sure, but I think the lack of PvP servers and the general emptiness of PvP instances should tell you something.

isn't that why they've pushed so hard with pvp/gsf on GS, CQ, etc..... to get more people to play content they don't want to.

the objective could be pvp, player can do ranked or unranked. But be careful what you wish for, you may get a load of people who are bad queuing, we've already seen what has happened to gsf & unranked.

Ya I don't think making the PvP mission more generic to include both regs and ranked pvp would necessarily lead to a lot of unprepared and nonpvp players queing ranked, but rather offer up an alternative to pvpers to que either ranked or unranked. And to the 1% minority that solely que ranked and not regs like myself, it would be nice if we could do our GS missions from ranked.

I also would not be opposed to seeing a group ranked requirement again. I know a lot of solo players would be opposed to it because they want to be able to do a lot of content solo, but as long as the mission is completeable via wins and losses instead of just wins I think it would be fine.

Please, no. I've heard horror stories about ranked pvp being extremely toxic

I'm decent at pvp but far from the best, I would not want to plague a ranked team of experienced players like that, it would basically be giving the other team a free kill

Ya I don't think making the PvP mission more generic to include both regs and ranked pvp would necessarily lead to a lot of unprepared and nonpvp players queing ranked, but rather offer up an alternative to pvpers to que either ranked or unranked. And to the 1% minority that solely que ranked and not regs like myself, it would be nice if we could do our GS missions from ranked.

I also would not be opposed to seeing a group ranked requirement again. I know a lot of solo players would be opposed to it because they want to be able to do a lot of content solo, but as long as the mission is completeable via wins and losses instead of just wins I think it would be fine.

was talking about what the op wanted, making it an objective, and / or adding more rewards. If it's just as easy to get GS points from ranked, as unranked, you'll get some, maybe not a lot, that will clog ranked, in the hopes of getting their hands on the 'extra' goodies.

The giving people a choice was just a better way of including ranked in GS.

If it's just as easy to get GS points from ranked, as unranked, you'll get some, maybe not a lot, that will clog ranked, in the hopes of getting their hands on the 'extra' goodies. .

That's my point though. If the option is either regs or ranked, then it's not like those extra goodies can only be found in ranked.

I feel like most (if not all) unexperienced players would go to regs for those extra goodies because queing for ranked will never be "just as easy" to queing for regs. A whole host of barriers like gear and valor requirements, toxicity, fear of being blamed, etc. are present in ranked that are not present in regs.

Edited by septru

That's my point though. If the option is either regs or ranked, then it's not like those extra goodies can only be found in ranked.

I feel like most (if not all) unexperienced players would go to regs for those extra goodies because queing for ranked will never be "just as easy" to queing for regs. A whole host of barriers like gear and valor requirements, toxicity, fear of being blamed, etc. are present in ranked that are not present in regs.

The mats can, unless they are gone, or people might even do it for the ranked tokens, for decos, etc. I've dipped my feet in ranked a few times, but it was just to get the decos. I try not to do it too much, as I know I'm a hindrance to the team, so I just did a bit here, a bit there, to get the tokens for the two players. But people are so annoyed with a lot of the stuff going on, they might decided to go for ranked, just to mess with it, and hop to get the tokens

As for the fear, that's pretty much gone, people don't care about toxicity, as it's in non ranked too, and TBH a few ranked (known ranked) players have gone it to unranked to troll, mess up games, etc. We've seen it been talked about here, and in that devs favourite discord group. gear doesn't matter, when we already have ranked people in unranked, stomping everyone, so if people were to return the favour, why would it matter. Lose in ranked, so what, lose in unranked, so what, same difference, well, except for the ranked community, they lose elo.

Bear in mind, they could just be 'tin foil' hat conspiracy theories, but a lot of those have already become real...

The mats can, unless they are gone

Matts were removed from solo ranked. They are still obtainable in group ranked.

But people are so annoyed with a lot of the stuff going on, they might decided to go for ranked, just to mess with it, and hop to get the tokens... Bear in mind, they could just be 'tin foil' hat conspiracy theories, but a lot of those have already become real...

You might be right about people entering ranked just to mess with it and purposefully lose. In fact, these types of players that purposefully que to lose and annoy other people can often be found in in ranked. But if they are throwing with the sole purpose to annoy and lose, then I don't think tokens had much to do with their decision to throw. They are going to throw regardless of tokens.

All I'm saying is that if the option was either regs or ranked, I don't think most new and unprepared players wouldn't que ranked anyways. The different options would only expand and offer incentives to players who were preparing and looking to try out ranked, and the players that already que ranked.

Edited by septru

Matts were removed from solo ranked. They are still obtainable in group ranked.

You might be right about people entering ranked just to mess with it and purposefully lose. In fact, these types of players that purposefully que to lose and annoy other people can often be found in in ranked. But if they are throwing with the sole purpose to annoy and lose, then I don't think tokens had much to do with their decision to throw. They are going to throw regardless of tokens.

All I'm saying is that if the option was either regs or ranked, I don't think most new and unprepared players wouldn't que ranked anyways. The different options would only expand and offer incentives to players who were preparing and looking to try out ranked, and the players that already que ranked.

You're probably right, but then again, we've seen some really toxic and anti friendly player behaviour recently.

Perhaps if the Devs actually rook an interest in ranked it might happen. By interest I mean perma ban peeps who are wintrading, cheating and whatnot. Fact is, ranked is a niche activity in a niche game getting the bare amount of support.

the objective could be pvp, player can do ranked or unranked. But be careful what you wish for, you may get a load of people who are bad queuing, we've already seen what has happened to gsf & unranked.

Actually iin GSF things seem to be going ok most of the time. The matchmaker does tend to do slightly better with a bigger queue, a fairly modest skill imbalance will lead to a lopsided match whether there are a lot of noobs or not, and there are lots of other noobs for the noobs to beat up on as they learn how to fly. So overall, not really that different compared to normal.

General result has been much more mixed team compositions. Turtling bombers? Gunship wall? Strikapalooza? A flock of scouts? A nicely mixed team composition? Enough people are trying things out, copying (or trying to copy) whoever topped the leaderboard, or searching desperately for the faceroll easy mode FOTM ship build so that there's a lot more variety than I've seen in a long time.

GSF geezers have also been doing some outreach/educational events to try to get some more of the newcomers the basic skills. Basically everyone jumps in Discord, set up a custom match, and the people who don't know what they're doing shoot at the people who do know what they're doing. The the skilled players explain what the new players need to do differently if they actually want to hit what they're shooting at. Expertise takes a long time, but going from hopeless to basic competency only takes a few hours of guided training.

/snip.

We obviously haven't been in the same matches, over the last couple of days on 4 of the 5 servers, I'd done gsf for GS, and some for CQ, and most of them were completely lopsided, it was either triple caps, or DM 50 to 10 (ish)

Showing there is a huge unbalance in their match making system, or the good people are queuing together.

Or maybe other reasons, but I'll leave the tin foil hat of for the moment ;)

I think you're right, there is no incentive to play Solo Ranked.

Therefore the only thing to do is remove solo ranked from the game because it serves no purpose.

They don't let you queue for hard mode so why let you queue singularly for ranked? Team Ranked serves an important purpose, but solo ranked is a junk idea that should be destroyed. Regular play is just fine for the purpose of allowing people who are not good enough to get into a team, set times to play and be organized.

Again, solo ranked = no purpose, do not incentivize it... scrap the mode.

THEN they can focus on ensuring team ranked has similar incentives to nim raiding. But definitely do NOT consider solo ranked as anything but people who think they're better than unranked but in reality are not because they can't work in a team well enough.

THEN they can focus on ensuring team ranked has similar incentives to nim raiding. But definitely do NOT consider solo ranked as anything but people who think they're better than unranked but in reality are not because they can't work in a team well enough.

just about everything in this paragraph is false.

first, WZs are objective-based. Rated arenas are pure TDM. they both depend on similar skills, but if you cannot maximize your dps, your dcds, and know all of the other classes' abilities and dcds, then you will get shredded in arenas. in a WZ, all of that which makes a good arena player also makes a good WZ player, but in the WZ you can be considerably less effective at dealing damage and managing your own cds while still contributing constructively to your team. I say this as one such person. ;)

TL; DR 1 - it's possible to hide weak players in a WZ by giving them menial tasks like calling out for help on a node.

team work. I don't know what game you're playing, but every reg WZ I go into is full of chickens with their heads cut off. the norm is 1 or 2 players going off and doing their own thing, and virtually NEVER to all 8 or 7 or even 6 of the players in the WZ work constructively together. one guy goes off to ninja a node cuz it's cool. another two only fight mid. focus fire is virtually nonexistent, and you certainly don't see more than 3 or 4 players focusing down opponents (usually 1 or 2 of that number do so only coincidentally). focus fire is the norm in solo arenas. it's the only way opponents die.

TL; DR 2 - the focus fire or "coordination" in a solo arena is infinitely higher than in a reg WZ (or reg arena).

Team rated arenas are dead for the same reason rated WZs dried up. Once a pecking order is established, the same teams always win and the same teams always lose. as time goes by, the teams begin to cease queuing from the bottom up (the worst team gives up, then the next worse, then the next) until you're left with one or mayyybe two or three teams. and that's it. dry queue. The teams don't change their composition. Once one team establishes its position in relation to others, not much changes. Solo rated, however, is a different "team" every time. thus, it can sustain a much longer lifespan without seasons ending or meta changes to draw players back to the arenas.

TL; DR 3 - team rated is not sustainable. the top teams quickly establish themselves. the format dies. solo rated team compositions change every match. individual players separate themselves, but the outcome of each match is not guaranteed to them.

last one (no TL; DR). you sound like you really don't like solo rated and maybe(?) prefer team for being more "pure"? in a way, I get that. I definitely think team is how the game should be designed and the trinity comps are certainly constructed to work as teams. but what I don't understand -- at all -- about your diatribe, is how you think solo arenas are so devoid of teamwork and coordination while also holding up reg WZs, which are literally just solo WZs instead of solo arenas. and when players do group up for WZs, it just produces horribly lopsided matches because the group either has the best or the worst players in the match making it the least interesting of all the WZ matchups. iunno. man. I just don't see your point.

but I will add this, there's no chance of rated WZs coming back. reg WZs are horrible. almost every single map is broken by all of the movement buffs, and that's before you take into consideration all of the dsync issues those movement buffs cause. the current crop of WZs were barely passable when everyone was level 50-60. now, the way ops fly around, sorcs teleport across obstacles and ops/sins can just blink to players, etc. - these WZs are ridiculously easy to cheese. there's no going back and there's no taking the WZ maps seriously. sorry. honestly I am. I would love to have rated WZs and have all classes/specs participate in them, but I don't think BW is going to A) redesign 90% of their maps and B) redesign 95% of their classes to address all of the over-the-top speed (and root/snare) buffs.

Edited by CheesyEZ

I tend to agree with adding both solo and team ranked to a battle pass activities. You can't hope that players will play certain content if you nerf its rewards (example with changing mats quests) or excluding it from reward systems (I mean galactic season). Of course it must require WINNING the match so a player could get galactic season points. By the way, don't forget that galactic season activities are ALWAYS FEW if you dislike ranked then chose another activity, if you dislike galactic starfighter - chose another activity. I don't see any reasons in restricting the list of possible activities for galactic season, in my opinion it must have all kinds of acitivities which are chosen randomly every week (uprisings, HM operations, flashpoints, Illum event, raghhoul event etc). Players must have an opportunity to chose what they want to do every week among list of all types of possible content. That looks dumb and unfair when players who prefer ranked forced to play unranked or kill bugs for geting season points.

Also, as OP mentioned solo ranked is already full of bad players who just queue it for fun or due to boredom. Nothing will change in quality of matches but the quantity will rise. Iam also tired to sit in queue for 20 min waiting when 8 players will finally queue, and even when i get the pop i see bad players in both teams. It's just ranked activity in solo ranked must require WIN only for getting galactic points loses should not provide anything

I don't see why the "Warzone" objective can't be either ranked or unranked. It might also help keep some of the Raked toxicity out of unranked if ranked players can complete the objective in their preferred mode and not have to play in unranked warzones. Making it an objective of its own would only create more toxicity issues.

I don't see why the "Warzone" objective can't be either ranked or unranked. It might also help keep some of the Raked toxicity out of unranked if ranked players can complete the objective in their preferred mode and not have to play in unranked warzones. Making it an objective of its own would only create more toxicity issues.

Exactly, Galactic season always provides few activties for players to choose, and if someone dislikes one of provided activities, he just chooses another one. There is literally no sense to restrict this list, the more varieties it has, the better. Ranked players will choose ranked, unranked will choose unranked, sometimes unranked players who got bored from unranked might choose ranked and vice versa. I think that this GS must have all types of existing content included to the list, not GSF, killing bugs on Ossus and unranked.

Exactly, Galactic season always provides few activties for players to choose, and if someone dislikes one of provided activities, he just chooses another one. There is literally no sense to restrict this list, the more varieties it has, the better. Ranked players will choose ranked, unranked will choose unranked, sometimes unranked players who got bored from unranked might choose ranked and vice versa. I think that this GS must have all types of existing content included to the list, not GSF, killing bugs on Ossus and unranked.

the list was particularly restrictive in season 1 b/c BW wanted to funnel players into very specific content. in this case, reg WZs, not rated ones (and they are very different experiences).

I don't care whether you agree with this or not, and I'm not advocating it. so don't argue with me. I'm simply relaying the facts from a dev tracker post below. the bold, underlined, and italicized portion is specifically for your benefit:

Hi all,

We wanted to take this opportunity to discuss some of the feedback we have received regarding Galactic Seasons and provide some answers and clarification, insight into our goals and how we addressed some of the issues which have popped up early this Season. This is going to be a large delve, so let’s dive right in!

Priority Objectives

We have seen a lot of feedback in regards to the Priority Objectives, both in the types and variety of activities they include, the reroll feature, and the potential for sharing them with your friends to make it easier to tackle them together.

More Variety/Refreshes:

While Galactic Seasons will never have the same level of variety as the Conquest system, it is our intention to add more variety into later Seasons, which we believe should address both the desire for more variety as well as more refreshes.

When we looked at Season 1, we considered a few key elements; activity patterns we saw in player week to week Conquest participation, where there was opportunity to increase engagement, ensuring that Daily and Weekly Priority Objectives fell into a certain time-to-complete range, and ensuring that no matter which objective you had it was relevant to what you are able to actually participate in.

By keeping this initial list of Priority Objectives a little more trimmed down and focused, we could ensure that players met all of these key elements. As we move into future Seasons we will be building further upon this foundation.

Linking or Sharing Priority Objectives:

Similar to refreshes, we are looking into how we can solve the core desire in this request. Priority Objectives are built using the same tech we use for Achievements and Conquest Objectives. Unlike Missions, this tech does not inherently contain capabilities for sharing, so there would be a lot to consider in supporting this type of feature. While we will continue to explore what this could look like, we know that it is important for players to be able to participate in Galactic Season Priority Objectives with friends, and that is an aspect we are and will be more deeply exploring solutions for while building out future Seasons.

We are examining all of the issues we have had with Priority Objectives with Season 1 and applying that knowledge moving forward. We are seeing where there are additional opportunities to separate out some of the systems, and ways to simplify.

We want to thank you for your continued feedback. We are very actively gathering and using it to refine what Season 2 may look and feel like.

Edited by CheesyEZ

the list was particularly restrictive in season 1 b/c BW wanted to funnel players into very specific content. in this case, reg WZs, not rated ones (and they are very different experiences).

I don't care whether you agree with this or not, and I'm not advocating it. so don't argue with me. I'm simply relaying the facts from a dev tracker post below. the bold, underlined, and italicized portion is specifically for your benefit:

Thats nice you revealed this, personally i stopped reading developer tracker long because they either post there irrelevant information or aren't posting there anything for a long time. Watching on situation NOW, i definitely must point out that certain types of content lack of incentives (rewards) to draw players in playing it. Team ranked quests requires win only draw players away, no proper rewards for solo ranked quests and being out from galactic season system also ruins player's interest, uprisings are totally dead because of zero proper rewards there. It is obvious that devs should start with adding these contents into GS and think about more rewarding policy for different types of content